• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

JB1981 said:
Many of the base spawns were designed with several avenues of escape in KZ2.
this

even radec accademy is easily escaped with 3 different exit points for helghast. I smh every time i play that map and see idiots running out the ground floor doorway to their death.

oneHeero

So any tips on staying in a party with gaffers? lol

I joined yesterday a couple times and then we'd start a game and 5 mins in no gaffers around :\ Then I get another invite and same thing happens. Granted my headset was charging so I assume something was happening.

Do you guys know if stats count if you quit or not? I was doing great a few times and left when I got invites and wasnt sure if stats saved still.

Lastly, can I get a clan invite!?!? I had one but when I accepted it said it either expired or was revoked :\

I'm F1nestOne in case you dont recognize me.

-viper- said:
And to think some people were arguing about the visuals of the game.

I haven't got the game yet, but holy shit at the screens. It CLEARLY looks like the best console game out there.

Direct feed screenshots have never looked better.

Yeah, it makes it all the more annoying the constant post processed bullshots that get released from most publishers. With Killzone 3 it does realtime bullshots rendering. Gorgeous.

Massa

JB1981 said:
Many of the base spawns were designed with several avenues of escape in KZ2.

Sure, but spawn camping is a problem in any game where you don't spawn randomly in the map (like Guerrilla Warfare in KZ3). It's a problem I eventually come across in KZ2, KZ3 and Bad Company 2, and the only real solution is to quit the match and find a better team of randoms to play with.

upJTboogie said:
I think I'm going to re-buy Killzone 2. KZ3 is fun but I much prefer KZ2's multi.

Yeah, I just went and played some online matches in KZ2. Even a default warzone room with rockets/boost and 5 minute rounds was a much more enjoyable experience than KZ3. Maps are brilliantly designed, look amazingly slick and polished, and there was a real sense of teamwork that is just missing in KZ3. Working together as a team with 15 other players is a really fun experience even amidst all the chaos.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
CozMick said:
Once a bomb is planted is the Infiltrator the only class that can defuse?

Not necessarily any class can defuse, but Yes, the Infiltrator has a huge advantage due to their 3 point secondary ability

50% reduce time to planting/defusing/capturing (Search & Destroy, Propaganda (unlimited stamina/speed is a given), Capture & Hold)

Disguise @ level 3 = game breaking, I have close to 200 Brutal melee kills in less than 20 hours in MP, 50 more = Gold Medal
(So much fun running into enemy holdout are during Assassination, and just Brutal Melee the target and earn 650+ points)

Acrylic7

I cant imagine how anyone is liking this multiplayer. KZ2 is way better
There is an insane amount of problems with its structure.
and on Salamun Market, am I being killed by the freaking wasp in the middle of the map? What is that?

nib95

Banned
Acrylic7 said:
I cant imagine how anyone is liking this multiplayer. KZ2 is way better
There is an insane amount of problems with its structure.
and on Salamun Market, am I being killed by the freaking wasp in the middle of the map? What is that?

I'm absolutely loving the MP so far. Much prefer it over KZ2's tbh. I didn't like the bullet sponegy'ness of the predecessor though did enjoy it a lot overall. I do agree though, Warzone in KZ3 needs work. It's far too messy. Guerilla Warfare though, so much more fun.

JB1981

-viper- said:
And to think some people were arguing about the visuals of the game.

I haven't got the game yet, but holy shit at the screens. It CLEARLY looks like the best console game out there.

Direct feed screenshots have never looked better.

God of War has better blur and AA implementation imo.

GraveRobberX

Acrylic7 said:

It's those idiots who camp their base, mostly Marksman/Engineers who keep shooting WASPS over and over, hoping to kill someone

Sometimes they get lucky, and when the lock-on goes bright red = free kill (75% of the time)

WASP are there to be the great Equalizer to the Exo's, but smart Exo players camp by their base, till the bridge, not stepping into the other teams boundaries, knowing what's waiting for them

Recently a lot of people just abuse the Exo, and not many enjoy playing Engi, so WASP turrets are never up

That is why you hear 5,000 Bottle Rocket Whistles sound effects going off in 1 game in the Markets

nib95

Banned
JB1981 said:
God of War has better blur and AA implementation imo.

I'm not so sure tbh. I mean, yes it could have. But it may also just be down to the fact that KZ3 has far far more complex geometry, a lot more of it on screen and much more linearity in object design. Which lets face it, are the only levels where AA causes any issues.

GraveRobberX

JB1981 said:
Just had a good Warzone game with randoms on Turbine Concourse, probably the best designed map.

A mirrored map, which has only 2 points of access, and those same access areas the middle EMP blast and the Tunnel/Trench = Bottleneck areas = best designed?

C'mon Son!

That map was created in paint, half done, and copy/mirrored then given 2-3 discrepancies so players wouldn't go WTF, wasn't this where I spawned

JB1981

GraveRobberX said:
A mirrored map, which has only 2 points of access, and those same access areas the middle EMP blast and the Tunnel/Trench = Bottleneck areas = best designed?

C'mon Son!

That map was created in paint, half done, and copy/mirrored then given 2-3 discrepancies so players wouldn't go WTF, wasn't this where I spawned

It worked out OK for our team which won 6-1 so maybe that is why it felt well designed lol
- i liked that we didn't have to capture all the TSPs in order to stand a chance

Acrylic7

GraveRobberX said:
It's those idiots who camp their base, mostly Marksman/Engineers who keep shooting WASPS over and over, hoping to kill someone

Sometimes they get lucky, and when the lock-on goes bright red = free kill (75% of the time)

WASP are there to be the great Equalizer to the Exo's, but smart Exo players camp by their base, till the bridge, not stepping into the other teams boundaries, knowing what's waiting for them

Recently a lot of people just abuse the Exo, and not many enjoy playing Engi, so WASP turrets are never up

That is why you hear 5,000 Bottle Rocket Whistles sound effects going off in 1 game in the Markets
Thats just bad design on Guerrilla's behalf. The wasp can hit targets crossing the bridge in the center and hit players that come out of the higher spawn areas. That just isn't fair. Thats a one hit kill with homing missiles that fire in clusters. How am I supposed to avoid that? I swear that Friendly fire should be turned on automatically on some weapons. I probably could avoid the damn thing if I could actually sprint for more that a second.

GraveRobberX

JB1981 said:
It worked out OK for our team which won 6-1 so maybe that is why it felt well designed lol
- i liked that we didn't have to capture all the TSPs in order to stand a chance

Wait till you play against some formidable players, when you have 0 TSA, and they have all 3, while you are stuck in the 3 alleys that lead out of your spawn base are camped and you go 0-7

It's fun when you have a good squad, but watch what happens to the Map you think is best designed in KZ3 when you try to break free when being camped

Remember my Map Essay couple of pages back and what I said GG should have done, you even said I put in more thought process on it

Only Map that is still fun, is the Retro Map, go figure. S. Market still is a blast, really hard to camp, too open area, Spawn Bots destroy anyone foolish enough to get with-in 30 meters of the area

4 TSA's, very hard to cap them all, the game flows back and forth, EXO's do sometimes become a nuisance, but can be taken care of

Always 4-3, 3-4 games, rare do you see 7-0 or 6-1 in S. Market

bill.cosby

Neo Member
I've only tried to get into multi a couple times and keep getting stuck at a loading screen where i can hear people talking but it never throws me into a game. pity...

On the plus side, I really enjoyed the campaign. Much better than kz2 imo. Just so much better paced and the story actually wasn't half bad for an FPS, despite some awkward transitions here and there.

GraveRobberX said:
Only Map that is still fun, is the Retro Map, go figure. S. Market still is a blast, really hard to camp, too open area, Spawn Bots destroy anyone foolish enough to get with-in 30 meters of the area
t
interesting, i cannot stand S. Market. In fact, I wish i hadn't have put in the retro code because I end up just leaving the game each time I end up on that map. I just am bored to death of it from Killzone 2. My thoughts are that if I want to play S. Market, i would just play KZ2. Anyhow, rant over :)

Facism

GraveRobberX said:

C'mon Son!

it was also designed by the new mp lead. probably as a monument to his stain on warzone.

GraveRobberX

Facism said:
it was also designed by the new mp lead. probably as a monument to his stain on warzone.

Well I enjoyed Mercenaries 2, you can tell the MP Lead went from open world to closed space

Look @ this: MC2 Map

500px-Simalcrum_mercs2_kits_2008sep02.jpg

Now look @ this: KZ3 Turbine Concourse SE6

Turbine_Concourse_Se_6.png

He just took pieces of that whole huge map, sectioned them off by their outlines, mirrored them, then the placement of objects to give a different feel, yet most of the shit looks almost too similar to each other

Let's take a look at others:

Corinth Highway:

CorinthHighwayW.png

Pyrrhus Crater:

Pyrrhus_Crater_W.png

Other maps maybe not mirrored, but are offset by the copying/pasting and creating a shell of a map

Really?, Now take a look at COD:

terminal-map-call-of-duty.JPG

Look @ KZ2: S. Market

salamum-market.jpg

Mikey Jr.

You cant use cod as an example because it does not have defined spawn points like KZ2/3.

However, I think the reason they mirror the maps is because they want to make both sides have an equal advantage. Once a map is done, it is pretty much done. I have never seen major changes done to a mp map for any game. So maybe a week after release, they find out that Helghast have a huge advantage on one map because they can get to a TSP much faster or something like that. I don't think they want to take that risk, so they took the safe route and mirrored them.

The best thing we can hope for is more retro maps, which they seem to be doing. Saluman Market is now in KZ3, so thats good, right?

Anyways, just got 17000 xp in one game. 2500 xp was from a silver medal, and thats it.

OK, damit I have a few dollars to burn and the nerd in me is desiring the sharpshooter. I have been practicing my sharpshooter comfort position in my chair and think I've found a great ergonomic position.

Sharpshooters from 1 thru 10 would you recommend it and your longest time playthrough with a the Sharpshooter?

JB1981

MrPliskin said:
SP: I think KZ3 was fantastic...until it ended in a huge pile of shit. Worst. Ending. Ever.
Was beyond bad, it was so bad that it invalidated anything good that came before it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gluv65 said:
OK, damit I have a few dollars to burn and the nerd in me is desiring the sharpshooter. I have been practicing my sharpshooter comfort position in my chair and think I've found a great ergonomic position.

Sharpshooters from 1 thru 10 would you recommend it and your longest time playthrough with a the Sharpshooter?

I'd burn that money on something else.

JB1981 said:
Was beyond bad, it was so bad that it invalidated anything good that came before it.

True, and I wonder if it affected some review scores out there. It leaves such a bitter taste in your mouth...

GraveRobberX

Mikey Jr. said:
So maybe a week after release, they find out that Helghast have a huge advantage on one map because they can get to a TSP much faster or something like that.

Frozen Dam ISA spawn comes to mind, it was pointed in closed Beta, Open Beta, nothing was done, it stayed the same

I'm not talking about COD as in make maps as COD for KZ3, I'm saying look @ how the maps stand out, the little locations, the different paths, so many options

Nothing looks the same, you try to put effort into the maps

I get the want to keep it fair bullshit that each side should equal the other side, but good map makers try to keep it equal, yet try to make it look different from a viewing aspect

If you grab the high and low ground, you have superiority, if other team can't get it back, it's their fall

There's no identity to these maps. Tell me to meet you somewhere in the map, I'll be like where?, oh that destroyed building or that other destroyed building

GraveRobberX

gluv65 said:

Sharpshooters from 1 thru 10 would you recommend it and your longest time play through with a the Sharpshooter?

I was Day 1, went to Best Buy, tried it out, had a kiosk up with it, wasn't for me
(I'm a fatty, with fatty fingers, with average arm length, shit was a bitch to hold)

Felt cumbersome, if standing while shooting = not long gameplay session, if sitting, have to sit in an angle awkwardly, almost like half caressing a baby, feels weird

I say a 2-3 from me

ChanDangle said:
Ok, what's the best way of destroying the armored suits? People just tend to spam the hell out of them.

Another EXO
WASP turret = great equalizer (need Engi or be Engi, repair turret)
Mines can be beneficial, if you are sneaky, place behind EXO or even attach them onto it, fire away for kill
INFI or TACT have the VC92 Missle Launcher (Hit or Miss Approach), sometimes you kill the driver, body falls out, EXO stays up, or it gets blown to kingdom come
2 Grenades well placed, meaning right underneath it, not too far away grenade throws, the splash damage doesn't help that much

nib95 said:
I'm not so sure tbh. I mean, yes it could have. But it may also just be down to the fact that KZ3 has far far more complex geometry, a lot more of it on screen and much more linearity in object design. Which lets face it, are the only levels where AA causes any issues.

Hey, Nib. I'm just quoting for a bit of repentance. I lowered the shit out of the sharpness on my LED - I guess I just never thought to do it as the settings have been fine for so long - and the game looks 100x better. That's not to say that I didn't think it looked amazing before, though. It just looks a lot better and a lot less sharp/jaggy-filled.

SO! Cheers for the obvious tip!

Let me get this straight: GG isn't even including bots in custom games in the future? WTF!

So that leads to this question.... did they fix the issue with KZ2 not allowing players to progress?

I honestly don't know how anyone could defend these maps. They really make KZ2 maps look great by comparison.

Don't know what you have until it's gone, I guess.

Conspiracy theorists would say they're bad on purpose so you shell out for all the map packs, but that seems way fucked up to me.

Who knows, though...they are really really really bad.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lol, they should just re-release the guy that's working on Brink's maps. They're all better than the shit designed by the Mercs 2 guy.

pixelbox

nib95 said:
I think the jaggies are caused by shaders. Most geometry is covered and as for the motion blur, as said before it was toned down mainly due to fast movements and lil bitches.

GraveRobberX

X-Frame said:
I really don't like the KZ3 maps either, not at all.

I miss my Tharsis Depot and Corinth River Crossing .. :(

Fixed

Tharsis Depot:

killzone2_map_tharsisi_depot.jpg

So much depth, different areas to traverse, levels of space, ground, mid, high

Corinth Crossing:

killzone2_map_corinth_crossing.jpg

DAT Level DESIGN *Bites Lip*

pixelbox

But that's what you guys wanted:mirrored sides. I like asymetrical maps becauses when you switch sides you need a whole new strat. Almost like to maps in one, I would say the only map i don't like is the snowdrift and that's because of capture points and the damned whiteout. Hopefully people learn how to work together.

pixelbox

GraveRobberX said:
Fixed

Tharsis Depot:

DAT Level DESIGN *Bites Lip*
Yeah, you guys are real drama queens...I like how you go into depth with KZ2 maps with angles and shit but give a plain birdseye view of KZ3. Drama indeed.

GraveRobberX

pixelbox said:
Yeah, you guys are real drama queens...I like how you go into depth with KZ2 maps with angles and shit but give a plain birdseye view of KZ3. Drama indeed.

I seriously looked on many websites for good KZ3 maps, to show

I didn't do it on purpose, it was what was available to me

I know KZ2 is old, and KZ3 hasn't been fully opened with the map files, I mean it's 1 week old

You see Corinth Crossing have a mirror style map, but it's then amazingly /masked shifted into tier levels, you don't see that with any KZ3 map

You can be at the top and look all the way down to ground level, kept shit exciting, you had multiple ways of moving, no 1 was spawn camped to high hell, unless the teams were super imbalanced or they completely sucked

Right now those maps are bland as fuck, after playing them 10-15+ times each, I'm burned out by them, cause there the same old shit, there's either be camped, or camp

No flow to them, I may have had 2-3 fun experiences in the MP part and that was with FTSG clan, if pub, maybe never, cause people treat it like run n' gun, rather than be more tactical and approach the objective (whatever it is) smart

Top Bottom