• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Massa said:
Honestly, spawn raping just hasn't been a problem for me with this game. It does happen, but I'll just quit and play on a different server, just like I'm used to coming from BC2.

Spawn raping is not the big problem though, it happens at times but it's just one of serveral symptoms going on in the game. Again it's largely based on how difficult it is to have TSP's change hands and teams being quickly forced into a loss because the opponent captures all the TSP's and they rarely ever lose them back.

nib95

Banned
I love love LOVE the gunplay in this game. SP and MP. Just feels like that perfect balance now between realistic but still skillful. Beforein KZ2 I thought the game had realistic gunplay but unrealistic damage (bulletsponge), now it's a good balance. Only wish Guerilla Warfare allowed more kills. The current amount is no where near enough.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
nib95 said:
I love love LOVE the gunplay in this game. SP and MP. Just feels like that perfect balance now between realistic but still skillful. Beforein KZ2 I thought the game had realistic gunplay but unrealistic damage (bulletsponge), now it's a good balance. Only wish Guerilla Warfare allowed more kills. The current amount is no where near enough.

Skillful?

Whoever sees whoever first wins, that's not skill, + the lag at different times doesn't help the process, you maybe shooting @ him on your screen, while the dude is somewhere else, yet you die

GG said the reason there are so many "*Harry Potter Mark* Session Master Not Available" is due to their coding of adding lag/cheat into the netcode
That is why we have so many time outs or kicks

Back to the TSA argument, it is like Resistance: Fall of Man, if you played OBJ Meltdown, and capped all 5 spots, you just cock-blocked the whole other team back into their spawn
At least you had Augers and 1 escapee to Arc Charge the ever living shit out of it to get back 1 of the 5 nodes back (hopefully)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.destructoid.com/splash-damage-addressing-common-shooter-issues-with-brink-195391.phtml

Well Brink is looking fantastic

containercity---Mood_15_SECEntryPoint-620x.jpg

Looks very similar to the shantytown in KZ2. Probably designed by the same guy

-Amon-

BattleMonkey said:
Again it's largely based on how difficult it is to have TSP's change hands and teams being quickly forced into a loss because the opponent captures all the TSP's and they rarely ever lose them back.

It's difficult to take tsp' if thetsp in defended and if you go in as a lone wolf. It's a matter of doing the right thing as a team at the right moment. If the opposite team defend the tsp in full force you are often free to go for the objective or other tsp.

Understanding where the enemy is and coordinating efforts in crucial. When two opposing teams follow these rules there is no spawn camping and no probllems in taking tsp's as far as i can see, as today, in this game.

Teamplay or cod i'd say.

nib95

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Skillful?

Whoever sees whoever first wins, that's not skill, + the lag at different times doesn't help the process, you maybe shooting @ him on your screen, while the dude is somewhere else, yet you die

GG said the reason there are so many "*Harry Potter Mark* Session Master Not Available" is due to their coding of adding lag/cheat into the netcode
That is why we have so many time outs or kicks

Back to the TSA argument, it is like Resistance: Fall of Man, if you played OBJ Meltdown, and capped all 5 spots, you just cock-blocked the whole other team back into their spawn
At least you had Augers and 1 escapee to Arc Charge the ever living shit out of it to get back 1 of the 5 nodes back (hopefully)

Sorry that's BS. Sounds like a comment from someone who just can't aim as well as the people killing him or has slow reaction time. Some of the best online shooters out there are less forgiving than KZ3 and that doesn't make them any less skillful (CSS for a start). The number of times I've had 1, 2, sometimes 3 people on my screen at once and been able to take all of them out is testament to the rubbish that "whoever see's who first" line is. Sure, that is the case sometimes, but not most of the time.

Most of the time it's who has better aim, better reactions, and makes better use of their surroundings. You can out-maneuver and out-gun people all day long. I mean, most of the time when people are shooting they are strafing or moving. That in itself adds a whole new dimension, as bullet spread is much wider unless you really control bursts.

Also, the importance of headshots are as poignant as they ever were.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nib95 said:
Sorry that's BS. Sounds like a comment from someone who just can't aim as well as the people killing him or has slow reaction time. Some of the best online shooters out there are less forgiving than KZ3 and that doesn't make them any less skillful (CSS for a start). The number of times I've had 1, 2, sometimes 3 people on my screen at once and been able to take all of them out is testament to the rubbish that "whoever see's who first" line is. Sure, that is the case sometimes, but not most of the time.

Most of the time it's who has THE MOVE

Fixed. :p

GraveRobberX

alr1ghtstart said:
http://www.destructoid.com/splash-damage-addressing-common-shooter-issues-with-brink-195391.phtml

Well Brink is looking fantastic

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/195378-preview-brink/containercity---Mood_15_SECEntryPoint-620x.jpg[IMG]

Looks very similar to the shantytown in KZ2. Probably designed by the same guy[/QUOTE]

:D, that map literally oozes KZ style

I love the SMART system, if you watch the multiplayer video, if a teammate gets downed, he can pan around and call for a medic ; ;

[url]http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2011/02/28/impressions-brink/[/url]

Gotta love FPS (Class based) + Mirror's Edge/Assassin's Creed = Brink

GraveRobberX

nib95 said:

Most of the time it's who has better aim, better reactions, and makes better use of their surroundings. You can out-maneuver and out-gun people all day long. I mean, most of the time when people are shooting they are strafing or moving. That in itself adds a whole new dimension, as bullet spread is much wider unless you really control bursts.

So you say my talk is BS, but then you bring in your BS of hurr durr you can't aim, or aren't good enough.

I just go Infiltrator, grab 40+ kills per game, 10+ being Brutal Melee's

The taking out 3 dudes proves my point, that just shooting and hitting the targets with low health = free kills if they don't see you first, if three guys all concentrated fire on you, you would drop before you had a chance to kill the second guy

Are you kidding me with the better aim, reaction, better surroundings, all I see are COD kids running around, spraying and praying, or think their super Elite by being a cloaked Marksman and sniping and keeping the KDR 2.0+

Mind you these are pub games, I know they aren't the be all end all games, but I like to Win, and when you see your teammates set up shop and camp by your base and just go for kills (these guys are the ones in the middle of the scoreboard, with 16 kills - 7 deaths or some shit like that, but only have 2000 points), while others who go 25+kills to 15-20+ deaths and be in the top 5 on both sides grab 5000-9000+ (before the x1.25 or x1.5 bonus) points with-in the same round

Also PS3 community is horrible when it come to communication, people don't use mics, those that do either want the others to know how their life is going or blast music or hell just leave it on and annoy others with the background talk
Muting helps you, but some others don't mute, and if you are trying to help your team win, it might get lost in all that moise

X-Frame

GraveRobberX said:
:D, that map literally oozes KZ style

I love the SMART system, if you watch the multiplayer video, if a teammate gets downed, he can pan around and call for a medic ; ;

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2011/02/28/impressions-brink/

Gotta love FPS (Class based) + Mirror's Edge/Assassin's Creed = Brink
Not only that but the HUD alerts you as a downed player when Medics are coming for you.

And they don't automatically revive you - they give you a syringe and you can get yourself up whenever you want and when you feel it's safe. Very smart.

GraveRobberX

X-Frame said:
Not only that but the HUD alerts you as a downed player when Medics are coming for you.

And they don't automatically revive you - they give you a syringe and you can get yourself up whenever you want and when you feel it's safe. Very smart.

I know what I will be playing in May till Resistance 3 in September

Thrakier

nib95 said:

Second this. I don't get the low health complaint at all.

oneHeero

GraveRobberX said:
So you say my talk is BS, but then you bring in your BS of hurr durr you can't aim, or aren't good enough.

The taking out 3 dudes proves my point, that just shooting and hitting the targets with low health = free kills if they don't see you first, if three guys all concentrated fire on you, you would drop before you had a chance to kill the second guy

Are you kidding me with the better aim, reaction, better surroundings, all I see are COD kids running around, spraying and praying, or think their super Elite by being a cloaked Marksman and sniping and keeping the KDR 2.0+

Mind you these are pub games, I know they aren't the be all end all games, but I like to Win, and when you see your teammates set up shop and camp by your base and just go for kills (these guys are the ones in the middle of the scoreboard, with 16 kills - 7 deaths or some shit like that, but only have 2000 points), while others who go 25+kills to 15-20+ deaths and be in the top 5 on both sides grab 5000-9000+ (before the x1.25 or x1.5 bonus) points with-in the same round

Also PS3 community is horrible when it come to communication, people don't use mics, those that do either want the others to know how their life is going or blast music or hell just leave it on and annoy others with the background talk
Muting helps you, but some others don't mute, and if you are trying to help your team win, it might get lost in all that moise
Ur the same as the cod kids camping w cloak if ur just using infiltrator in pub games in the first cpl weeks the game is out trying to claim it takes no skill.

No shit if the 3 guys see u first ud die first. Although Ive killed 5 in a row all gunning at me. Awareness and bullet placement is key.

This game takes more skill then ur typical twitch shooter, period.

aristotle

oneHeero said:
This game takes more skill then ur typical twitch shooter, period.

Only if people actually go for the objectives, which few do in pub games.

Having played with GRX and knowing his stats, I'm more than inclined to agree with him. Lag is a serious issue whether people want to say it is or not.

patsu

-Amon- said:
It's difficult to take tsp' if thetsp in defended and if you go in as a lone wolf. It's a matter of doing the right thing as a team at the right moment. If the opposite team defend the tsp in full force you are often free to go for the objective or other tsp.

Understanding where the enemy is and coordinating efforts in crucial. When two opposing teams follow these rules there is no spawn camping and no probllems in taking tsp's as far as i can see, as today, in this game.

Teamplay or cod i'd say.

Ha ha... sometimes I deliberately attack heavily defended points alone to keep folks there while my teammates re-route their attacks (I saw them heading another direction). If the enemies get bored defending an abandoned objective, they'd regroup.

In any case, when I encounter a tactical problem in MP, I'll just switch my moves and try other ways. The enemies will adapt too. Occasionally, I'd predict their moves and get out first. Or leave a mine behind (Muahahaa). I rather enjoy these mind games more than just pure shooting.

woolley

Mikey Jr. said:
Wow, his rebalancing of the skills is really quite good.
I was just thinking the complete opposite. With the changes he proposes makes the Infiltrator class way over powered. And I think the Tact needs the scouting ability because when played right he's the one that is gonna be on the front lines trying to capture spawns as people are popping up all around him.

And giving the Tact the sprint ability is pretty useless for their purpose cause when they're trying to capture a spawn they have to sit almost right next to the TSA so the sprinting will to nothing to help them do that but the spot and mark gives them a good idea how many people they have to deal with when they do go in to take the spawn.

I finally “clicked” with the Sharpshooter last night. It dawned on me to actually rest the butt of the rifle against my shoulder instead of cradling it in the crook of my arm. Turning now is easily done by shifting my torso slightly up down left or right. It feels really natural and, dare I say, makes the experience of Killzone 3 unlike any other FPS. I may even take it online after spending some time in Bot Mode. I’m having a ton of fun with this – best peripheral I’ve ever bought by a long shot.

Solal

I don't get the whole argument about: "boooo!! the first one who sees the other gets the kill"... It's absolutely logical! In what reality do you see someone getting hit...then having the time to turn around and get a headshot?
Being able to spot the enemy before he spots you IS the most important thing in war ! You don't go to war relying your reaction time... you are supposed to have a strategy that gives you the advantage.

I think if KZ3 was more realistic (2/3 bullets should be enough to get a kill), then it would change everything for the best. no more rushers who just want to get to the top of the scoreboard for instance.

It s like hardcore mode in COD or BFBC: it just refreshes the game...

At least we should have that kind of choice.

But GG just never wants you to choose anything... they are sooooo much smarter than us aren't they?

nib95

Banned
GraveRobberX said:

Infiltrators are not much of a problem once you become accustomed to killing on colour above the player as oppose to the look of him. Soon as you see that flash of red (or before) down him with a headshot before he even has a chance to sneak around.

Cloakers, yes annoying, but there are usually congestion or snipe points they reside at. Once you know them, as you're going through the maps, just snipe these areas out or have a peak whilst behind some form of cover.

And no, it's not about hitting a target with low health and spraying (I hardly every spray). The one's who do that are the one's who die. It's about them concentrating their fire on me, and me after firing a few bursts (already behind cover), sneaking behind it fully, listening for the sound of their rifle mag to empty and popping out to finish them off with a few more bursts to their heads.

It's always amusing to hear the 'COD' crowd comments. Even in COD, you spray and pray and you're going to be getting owned most of the time. There is, believe it or not, an art to killing even in COD. Only difference is it's one that's far quicker paced than shooters like Halo or KZ2. But to say it's nothing to do with skill is just an idiotic statement. There's a reason why the same top players pop up on every leaderboard in every game. They are better than the rest, and no it's not just because they see more enemies than the enemy see's them. It's because they're better. Better aim, reaction, tactics, map use et all.

Solal said:
I don't get the whole argument about: "boooo!! the first one who sees the other gets the kill"... It's absolutely logical! In what reality do you see someone getting hit...then having the time to turn around and get a headshot?
Being able to spot the enemy before he spots you IS the most important thing in war ! You don't go to war trusting your reaction time... you are supposed to have a strategy that gives you the advantage.

This just encourages more camping because people are afraid to come out and do objectives. When you're moving, your fov is pretty much limited to forward part as opposed to someone who is sitting in the corner. That guy already has his six covered, all he has to do is sit tight and wait for someone to pass by. Camping is lot less in games where you need more bullets and takes more time to kill someone. Its not just about turning around and headshotting your attacker, but a chance to escape and run away to safe cover.

Solal said:
Being able to spot the enemy before he spots you IS the most important thing in war ! You don't go to war relying your reaction time... you are supposed to have a strategy that gives you the advantage.

I think if KZ3 was more realistic (2/3 bullets should be enough to get a kill), then it would change everything for the best. no more rushers who just want to get to the top of the scoreboard for instance.

KZ3 does only take 2-3 to drop someone. I think you are confused though. this is a sci-fi game not a realistic modern war shooter. I think we have more than enough games where you take 2-3 bullets and die. Outside Halo, i cant really even think of many more on consoles. I prefer the bullet damage in KZ2, it was between halo and COD. Just the right amount IMO. You werent fucked if you got shot first and you arent going to get fucked if you put a lot of bullets in someone.

i think the issue has more to do with bullet spread and recoil though. In KZ2 you would die fairly quick if your opponent hit with all shots. It was just more rare cause you couldn't run and gun. You had to adjust to the recoil and bullet spread of each gun. In KZ3 if your crosshair is on someone every bullet hits regardless if you just hold down fire or not.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
CloakedPuppet said:
I finally “clicked” with the Sharpshooter last night. It dawned on me to actually rest the butt of the rifle against my shoulder instead of cradling it in the crook of my arm. Turning now is easily done by shifting my torso slightly up down left or right. It feels really natural and, dare I say, makes the experience of Killzone 3 unlike any other FPS. I may even take it online after spending some time in Bot Mode. I’m having a ton of fun with this – best peripheral I’ve ever bought by a long shot.
From what I have read and seen, the designers intended for it to be used resting on your shoulder. The pivot point that creates gives much more freedom if movement. It also means you have to stand to play which may turn people off.

Do you have your camera above or below your tv?

DenogginizerOS said:
From what I have read and seen, the designers intended for it to be used resting on your shoulder. The pivot point that creates gives much more freedom if movement. It also means you have to stand to play which may turn people off.

Do you have your camera above or below your tv?

My camera is above my TV. Also, I don't use the Sharpshooter while standing. I sit while having my left elbow resting on a pillow on top on my left leg. I can pivot my torso enough to get the job done while sitting. I would like to try it while standing but I'd prefer to do it where I'm at eye level with my TV. I'd love to find a TV cabinet with an easy lift shelf to watch it at various heights.

GraveRobberX

OSHAN said:
Any update about a patch?

I'm just sick of playing Salamun Market over and over.

Game Data Utility > KZ3 Data 350+ MB > Delete, re-download the 1.03 patch, I think 27MB, enjoy till patch fixes that bug, won't get to play S. Market/Blood Gracht, but at least you will get the KZ3 maps + the [] map vote button back or keep playing, get the 7 trophies for that DLC pack

Rikyfree

OSHAN said:
Any update about a patch?

I'm just sick of playing Salamun Market over and over.
Go to the map selection part of the menu and select a different map, it should put you in a game with that map, and from there you will be able to play the other warzone maps.

Ilúvatar

Katana_Strikes said:
Been having a blast of co-op today. The screen set ups rather... bizarre but other than that it's great fun.

Yes I can't for the life of me figure out why they decided to set up the split-screen so off-kilter... but it gets the job done

teepo

Decarb said:
A good article here by someone who looks like he has played decent amount of MP

http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2011/03/fixing-a-broken-killzone-3-multiplayer.html

Agreed with almost everything except infinite self revival for medic.

that was terrible. he is focused too much on the labels applied to each class and trying to associate their roles in the game with what they "would" be irl and can't seem to grasp none of the logic behind the game design. an example is being how he describes the marksman. he specifically focuses too much on the term applied to the class and essentially treats it solely as a sniper, which the class is not. its role is designed to deal strategically in either sniping or sabotaging at a close distance. not to mention his "fix" makes absolutely no sense given that he doesn't take into account the cost of using the jammer, which is that it alters enemies of your extremely close proximity. and i question how long he has even played the game given that it's painfully obvious the marksman lose their cloaks once they begin firing or moving.

i'm all for criticizing game design intelligibly but gamers are so obsessed with what they want a game to be, instead of trying to play the game for what it is. until they do that, they shouldn't write such terribly written analysis.

GraveRobberX

teepo said:
that was terrible. he is focused too much on the labels applied to each class and trying to associate their roles in the game with what they "would" be irl and can't seem to grasp none of the logic behind the game design. an example is being how he describes the marksman. he specifically focuses too much on the term applied to the class and essentially treats it solely as a sniper, which the class is not. its role is designed to deal strategically in either sniping or sabotaging at a close distance. not to mention his "fix" makes absolutely no sense given that he doesn't take into account the cost of using the jammer, which is that it alters enemies of your extremely close proximity. and i question how long he has even played the game given that it's painfully obvious the marksman lose their cloaks once they begin firing or moving.

i'm all for criticizing game design intelligibly but gamers are so obsessed with what they want a game to be, instead of trying to play the game for what it is. until they do that, they shouldn't write such terribly written analysis.

This is what I wrote on the 15th:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25965766&postcount=456

A.R.K

So I tried to gang up with some fellow gafers in the FTSG clan last night (I was accepted). But how the fuck do I join a game that a clan member is currently playing? On the menu it says 'invite or join friend' but I didn't see any option to 'join game' any where. The only way was that someone invited me and unfortunately I guess every one was too busy playing. Am I missing something or this another FTSG!!!!!??? I left disappointingly! :(

A.R.K said:
So I tried to gang up with some fellow gafers in the FTSG clan last night (I was accepted). But how the fuck do I join a game that a clan member is currently playing? On the menu it says 'invite or join friend' but I didn't see any option to 'join game' any where. The only way was that someone invited me and unfortunately I guess every one was too busy playing. Am I missing something or this another FTSG!!!!!??? I left disappointingly! :(

You can't join a clan member's game.

JB1981

A.R.K said:

Press square to join game in session, press triangle to bring up to invite or select an invite (friends list only). Sorry didn't realize you were talking about clan list only.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A.R.K said:

hence FTSG :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mr.Green said:
Yeah no shit. It's not like the game was released 8 days ago or something...

Oh wait...

I'm normally with you but some of these issues have been around a while and other games have had patches days after release. It's not a deal breaker, but I understand why some folks are anxious.

GraveRobberX

Mr.Green said:
Yeah no shit. It's not like the game was released 8 days ago or something...

Oh wait...

2 years to make it... 2 fucking betas (Closed/Open)... all that info gathered must have been used...oh wait

Vlodril

I am having trouble switching to alternative instead of standard. I use the move. In the beta i have L1 as zoom now in the game it uses l2. If i go to the controller setting there isnt an option for control mapping in the motion section only in the standard controller. If i put that to alternative as soon as i join the game it reverts to standard.

Is there an option i am missing or something?

Top Bottom