• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

JB1981

mickcenary said:
Haha.

Worst.

Ending.

Ever.

I did like the zero G sections, though, but seriously, that was pathetic.

Dude, the zero-g sections were sooo fucking stupid. They were there just for the sake of variety, introduced ZERO new gameplay mechanics and were frustrating to boot. The "finale" was one of the most overwrought and most unimaginative shitty things I've seen in a high-profile game in a very long time. It's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad.

nib95

Banned
JB1981 said:
Dude, the zero-g sections were sooo fucking stupid. They were there just for the sake of variety, introduced ZERO new gameplay mechanics and were frustrating to boot. The "finale" was one of the most overwrought and most unimaginative shitty things I've seen in a high-profile game in a very long time. It's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad.

Ok, admittedly zero gravity added no new gameplay mechanics, but it still looked fucking cool and was fun to mess around with the physics. Shooting them and watching the ragdoll move them around realistically. Was also cool to see enemies use Zero-G to their advantage by making longer/bigger jumps than they normally would. I watched a few leap across the toom and it was quite funny.

JB1981 said:

Ha. Man, believe me. This, I know. The campaign in general was the absolute epitome mediocrity-leaning-towards-flat-out-shit; I'm still unable to fathom it. As right as you are, though, I do believe that the zero-G sections DID look cool.

Jesus, though... The dialogue, the story, the characters - I fucking hate Narville; he's not cool at all. Not to mention, the lame inclusion of a token attractive bitch with gusto. It's all a bit shit, to be frank. If it wasn't for its excellent visuals, art design and gun play, it'd have ZERO redeeming factors.

Facism

Dibbz said:
I'm not saying GW is bad, I'm saying that people should stop complaining it looks hectic because it's bound to be because it's a GW map. If you get me :p

Right because 32 players on Blood Gracht was way better.

Some of you guys are down right retarded I'm afraid.

I'm glad you're qualified to comment on my mental state in such a derisory manner. makes you look like a big man.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The zero g section is like 2 rooms and takes ten minutes. There's no new gameplay or gameplay change. complaining about it seems like complaining about glaciers.

Facism

Y2Kev said:
The zero g section is like 2 rooms and takes ten minutes. There's no new gameplay or gameplay change. complaining about it seems like complaining about glaciers.

i don't know kev, movement and bullet speed seemed to slow down in those sections. felt weird but not terrible.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Facism said:
i don't know kev, movement and bullet speed seemed to slow down in those sections. felt weird but not terrible.
i can't even remember, it was so short. it was like going through a car wash

Zen

Banned
JB1981 said:

I found the slowed down pace allowed me to better appreciate things like that response system. I just wish that they would have allowed you to shoot while jumping during that section, it seems like such a no brainier to really mix up the gameplay (giving it to the enemy AI would be unbalanced, mind you). It's a shame that they didn't go farther with the concept, because as is it just seemed like such a non-existent element.

patsu

The zero G section... I was over-zealous and went far far ahead of friendly AIs. Got pinned down with only 10-20 rounds of ammo left.
When I finally killed the RPG dude on the raised platform, I noticed that the RPG float higher and higher until it's out of my reach. Then I realized that there was no gravity in this section. :lol

Cruzader

Banned
mickcenary said:
Ha. Man, believe me. This, I know. The campaign in general was the absolute epitome mediocrity-leaning-towards-flat-out-shit; I'm still unable to fathom it. As right as you are, though, I do believe that the zero-G sections DID look cool.

Jesus, though... The dialogue, the story, the characters - I fucking hate Narville; he's not cool at all. Not to mention, the lame inclusion of a token attractive bitch with gusto. It's all a bit shit, to be frank. If it wasn't for its excellent visuals, art design and gun play, it'd have ZERO redeeming factors.
Hmm I think you are talking about "jammer" correct? If so I agree. I think that character was forced and out of place. Every scene with her seemed so stupid too. Why was she the only female there too? Like might as well removed her dumbass from the whole game if there are no other females.

Not only that but she stood out compared to the rest. Like she looked like out of a cartoon or some shit. Every time I saw her face, I said WTF ugly abomination is this? Hell Luger was way better and seemed more realistic back in kz1 GC scenes.

Could someone tell me why half the GG guys or the best group left the team? This game is a clear example that GG is no more one of Sony's top teams. They've had a lot of shit through the years but they had time to improve also. Sucks as a fan of the franchise. If I were Sony, they would be better off giving the IP to a new team. GG should do some PSN games to practice abd get back to making cohesive games.

Cruzader said:
Hmm I think you are talking about "jammer" correct? If so I agree. I think that character was forced and out of place. Every scene with her seemed so stupid too. Why was she the only female there too? Like might as well removed her dumbass from the whole game if there are no other females.

Not only that but she stood out compared to the rest. Like she looked like out of a cartoon or some shit. Every time I saw her face, I said WTF ugly abomination is this? Hell Luger was way better and seemed more realistic back in kz1 GC scenes.

Could someone tell me why half the GG guys or the best group left the team? This game is a clear example that GG is no more one of Sony's top teams. They've had a lot of shit through the years but they had time to improve also. Sucks as a fan of the franchise. If I were Sony, they would be better off giving the IP to a new team. GG should do some PSN games to practice abd get back to making cohesive games.

Why are you hating on Jammer? She's the token sassy latina with attitude everyone is supposed to like.

Alright so I finally got to the
snow
and good lord its like a different game. It
goes from relatively average to really fantastic.
Strange.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Alright so I finally got to the
snow
and good lord its like a different game. It
goes from relatively average to really fantastic.
Strange.
Why are the jetpack's guns so weak? It roars like a nigh infinite ammo chaingun, but you have to seriously unload on guys to get them to drop. I couldn't believe how much I could make the enemies do a little bullet-ridden jig with blood swirling off them by the gallon, only to see them shrug it off a moment later and re-engage as if nothing had happened.

That made a gorgeous level a lot less enjoyable.

Full Recovery said:
So in other words if the patch doesn't get rejected we *might* get it sometime next week. More than likely, rejected.
Yeah, pretty much. I posted my issue in that thread with the information GG_Dev asked for, and I was hoping that in no time the connection issues would be resolved. I don't want to go about messing around with ports since ever other game I have runs fine online. So, I waited, and then I see that post that they have to patch the game so that the online runs great. Which I have no problem with, until he said that it isn't coming this week, and it might not even come out next week. At this point, it's starting to annoy me. :/

Grisby

NullPointer said:
Why are the jetpack's guns so weak? It roars like a nigh infinite ammo chaingun, but you have to seriously unload on guys to get them to drop. I couldn't believe how much I could make the enemies do a little bullet-ridden jig with blood swirling off them by the gallon, only to see them shrug it off a moment later and re-engage as if nothing had happened.

That made a gorgeous level a lot less enjoyable.

Or the fact that enemy jet pack dudes have crazy aim.

I do like how Hopper barley talks the whole game until the end. Story may not be GG's forte. Other then that, I just beat it. Was solid. I'll say more later.

Cruzader said:

It was just a campaign full of annoying stereotypes and disgustingly bad one-liners. NONE of the characters are likeable. Sev's a douche. I mean, that whole exchange between Sev and the two helghast soldiers, wherein Sev rags on Visari; the dialogue was just THAT cringe worthy. Yet, cut to the next scene and everyone's trying to project seriousness/sincerity. Rico's a big nong and Narville is one of the lamest head-honcho archetypes I've ever encountered.

That being said, GG do nail the things that count in making an FPS enjoyable to PLAY, i.e. fantastic gun play, fantastic art design/visuals/visual feedback, interesting weapons and a great sense of being/weight to the protagonist. Their design choices are unfortunately not as consistent.

DoomGyver

Near the end of a warzone match my console froze but I could still talk and communicate with my team. Other people on my team froze too and I have a feeling that everyone in that match just froze. It was 8v8 or so on Corinth Highway. FTSGuerrilla.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My favorite part of Operations mode is seeing the dudes as yourself and your team pre/mid/post game. I guess I will grow tired of this eventually though lol

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Played some co-op last night and I'm surprised on how well it plays and looks. The game was alot more fun and the story lends itself very well to a MST3000 treatment. Which isn't really what the developers meant but it's a side-effect of the production.

mickcenary said:
...and Narville is one of the lamest head-honcho archetypes I've ever encountered.
Yeah, I don't like the changes they made to Narville at all. In 2 he came across as a jerk, but also a skilled, experienced boots-on-the-ground leader unfortunately stuck in an impossible situation. In 3, now he's out of touch with the military realities, and is the cause of bad situations. I liked some of the other changes to the campaign, but like the new multiplayer design, it's a mixed bag of improvements and steps back.

Not played the single player properly yet but online is great.

I'm getting fast smooth connections and the aiming is so much quicker and visuals are out of this world and so Sharp.

Anyone wanna add me for online my psn is stack_

Thrakier said:
Thanks for spoiler. :)

Ha. Sorry, dude! I guess I was so riled up from all the mediocrity that spoiler-tagging just skipped my mind. I beg for your forgiveness, just as I beg for the end when being spawn-camped.

Stillmatic

After playing quite a bit of KZ3 with Move, i don't think i'm going to buy another FPS unless it has decent Move support.

I'm not sure what i'm better with (DS3/Move), i'd say it'd be pretty close, but Move just feels so much better.

Converted.

Does anyone else feel sorry for Joris de Man? He composed such an amazing, emotional and mature score - well, I'm kinda going solely on the title screen theme, but nonetheless! :) - for such a juvenile and generic story/character set. That one piece alone has been wasted; in another game, set to a fantastically emotional segment, it could have jerked tears.

For shame.

BeeDog

Tence said:
And what else does this delete? Saves or MP stuff I already have unlocked?

I'm asking because that's an area of the PS3 I've never been before.

It only deletes the patch(es) as well, your saves will be fine.

Tence said:
And what else does this delete? Saves or MP stuff I already have unlocked?

I'm asking because that's an area of the PS3 I've never been before.

You're probably fine.Game data is usually separate from those things. SP, MP stuff is usually saved in the Saved Game Data Folder or server side (in the case of MP, depends on the game, like in Red Dead MP was saved in a save file on your console so you could 'back it up')

jax (old)

Banned
JB1981 said:

frustrating? I played it on veteran and cleared it pretty damn easy.

anyhow:

FINISHED.

Visuals was a 7/10 for me. More impressed with KZ2 at the time. Enjoyed the
helghast creepy forest
+ somewhat stealth segments but everything else was like meh. Maybe if I played it in 3D it would be more OMFG because the bits I just mentioned I can see as being very impressive

The combat in the sequel is very ho hum - it was quite easy to play through (as mentioned I played veteran) and I cleared stages quite easily. The only times I had to keep retrying was during the vehicular segments which... I thought was lacking in intensity despite what was happening onscreen.

Narville was the worst thing about this game. Never mind the hiltleresque styling of some of the helgan highuppers... narville was written as a 1 dimensional idiot here. He kept being unlikable and he said "god help us" 3-4 times?

There were also a lot of "hey, I just fell off this thing but look, someone/something is here to save me" moments. Just maybe a few too many that it got predictable. Nothing is going to happen to your protagonist. Even on veteran, I never felt like I was in jeopardy.

The real highlight of the game for me were:

jetpacking levels
+
Rico's AFro
<--- cracked me up

didn't like the brutal melee and the loss of the knife.

Well, that's a shame. 6.5/10

spats

Dever said:
So this game has split-screen co-op through the campaign, right? Has anyone tried it?

Yes and it works very well. There's some noticeable LOD pop but there are no major issues and it works really well.

2nd player plays as
Natko
for those wondering.

mickcenary said:
Does anyone else feel sorry for Joris de Man? He composed such an amazing, emotional and mature score - well, I'm kinda going solely on the title screen theme, but nonetheless! :) - for such a juvenile and generic story/character set. That one piece alone has been wasted; in another game, set to a fantastically emotional segment, it could have jerked tears.

For shame.

God damn dude let it go.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I really need to go back and replay Killzone 2. I feel like that game had far more intense combat than Killzone 3 did, but I'm not sure why.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Last night I decided to play around with the marksman class, and I'm not sure I can go back. It's just such a useful class for completing objectives. What I didn't even think of is that marksman are even better when you pick up silenced assault rifles/SMGs. You still stay cloaked as you kill with your assault rifle. Pretty crazy. I don't think there's a better class for capture & hold.

patsu

My primary class is medic. Can self revive now. It's rather fun to surprise your killers from behind and then revive a comrade. I'm trying infiltrator next. Have level 2 disguise but people can still identify me. Need to get level 3 disguise. Sprinting is kinda nice too.

Marksman sounds lethal. I shall try it after infiltrator. You need to be patient to kill enemies without being seen though. I killed 2-3 Marksmans by spraying bullets after/when he made a kill in front of me.

Edit: Medic is also great for reviving assassinated target.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Horsebite said:
Tactician because he captures like 3x faster than any other class.

But a marksman can just camp the node cloaked and pick off anyone who tries to capture. It makes it so much easier to defend.

owlbeak

commish said:
But a marksman can just camp the node cloaked and pick off anyone who tries to capture. It makes it so much easier to defend.
True. Also his scramble ability is a huge pain in the ass haha.

Loudninja

Rikyfree said:
Any idea when it's coming?
Here at Guerrilla Games we have been busy fixing bugs and adding features based on your continued feedback. The good news is we’re now readying our next patch to go live later next week. It is currently undergoing extensive testing and we’ll confirm the exact time and date of release once we have it.

Top Bottom