• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

lunlunqq

Guys, stop playing those framey laggy 24-player warzone games. Join me in playing the smooth 16-player guerrilla warfare games. It's much more fun.

In KZ2, at least I can choose to play warzone with a lower player count. Now, every warzone game is fucked. Matchmaking for the fucking win...

I think all the people complaining about lag and framerate have been getting shitty connections with other players causing lag. I haven't yet suffered from frame drops unless theres 2 mechs launching a bunch of rockets at the same time.

Thrakier

Facism said:
Don't be so insecure. It's good your enjoying it, but don't start talking down to people who aren't. Cagen hasn't patronised you for enjoying the game, so don't patronise him for having issues with it.

I'm not patronising anyone. And it's totally legit to discuss the flaws. That however is something different than the hyperbole which happens in the thread and is EXACTLY the same as with KZ2. It's like...it's always the same. Like in the movie groundhog day. With almost every Triple-A game. I don't remember one out of my head there those things didn't happen. Only in the reflection after some months or even years, people are satistified with a game. The glorification of KZ2, which had even more flaws imo, is mind boggling. In KZ2 the spawn system was broken even worse, almost every match ended with spawn camping, the framerate had it's problems as well, the clusterfucks are legendary. In comparison the class and weapon system were less diverese than in KZ3 (M82 overpowered, no silenced weapons, fucking one shot revolver as the ultimate weapon!!! etc.) and you basically "finished" it after five days.

Obiously, it would be nice to have the options from the old clan matchmaking system. But the new system also has benefits. For example, I participated in like five clan matches, because you can play them spontaneously. That's a HUGE plus in my book.

I don't say the complaints aren't legit, they are. I just think the reaction to them is way over the top. You know, I think in the end it's just not worth it. Either play and enjoy it or don't. Everything else will just make you frustrated and bitter. Do or don't. And that's something which I believe in for all situations of life. ;)

Soma

Renewman said:
The latter half of this thread has come across as nothing but incessant bitching and whining. Discussing the flaws of the game is one thing, but constantly filling pages of complaining isn't adding anything new to this topic as well. Don't be so quick to jump on people sir.
I find it really hard to admit this considering how much I never wanted to be on the detractor's side of things, but a lot of the "whiners" do have a very valid standpoint. Remember these are mostly guys who've been playing KZ2 for a while and like me were really hyped for this game prior to release but after seeing how many features have been left out/forgotten, the frame rate, the unbalanced maps and the really strange choices made, you can see they're visibly upset and rightly so.

I think it's still a pretty solid game all in all, but unfortunately I really don't see myself playing it much more in the future. Maybe after the next couple patches I dunno.

Facism

Thrakier said:
I'm not patronising anyone. And it's totally legit to discuss the flaws. That however is something different than the hyperbole which happens in the thread and is EXACTLY the same as with KZ2. It's like...it's always the same. Like in the movie groundhog day. With almost every Triple-A game. I don't remember one out of my head there those things didn't happen. Only in the reflection after some months or even years, people are satistified with a game. The glorification of KZ2, which had even more flaws imo, is mind boggling. In KZ2 the spawn system was broken even worse, almost every match ended with spawn camping, the framerate had it's problems as well, the clusterfucks are legendary. In comparison the class and weapon system were less diverese than in KZ3 (M82 overpowered, no silenced weapons, fucking one shot revolver as the ultimate weapon!!! etc.) and you basically "finished" it after five days.

Obiously, it would be nice to have the options from the old clan matchmaking system. But the new system also has benefits. For example, I participated in like five clan matches, because you can play them spontaneously. That's a HUGE plus in my book.

I don't say the complaints aren't legit, they are. I just think the reaction to them is way over the top. You know, I think in the end it's just not worth it. Either play and enjoy it or don't. Everything else will just make you frustrated and bitter. Do or don't. And that's something which I believe in for all situations of life. ;)

apologies mate, i'm just getting annoyed by the peeps who keep acting as if this thread is free positive PR for GG and we're not allowed to complain or discuss the issues of a product we've paid for.

You'll be sad to know FFO is trading his copy away, no more KZ trunks love ;p

anyway, i'm out of this thread now :p If you enjoy the game that's great and i'm happy for you :)

Thrakier

Facism said:
apologies mate, i'm just getting annoyed by the peeps who keep acting as if this thread is free positive PR for GG and we're not allowed to complain or discuss the issues of a product we've paid for.

anyway, i'm out of this thread now :p If you enjoy the game that's great and i'm happy for you :)

You know, there is a difference between complaining and overreacting as there is a difference between saying something positive and PR. I never said that it isn't legit to discuss flaws in this thread.

FFO loves me anyway, doesn't matter how good KZ3 is. :) Besides that, I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing him online again. I don't know how many of you guys stopped playing the POTS KZ2 because of all it's flaws. I guess the average is about 2 or 3 times. ;)

I'm enjoying KZ3 as much as I enjoyed KZ2. Move is a plus, though. In KZ2 i was somtimes somewhat fighting the contorls.

dazed808

Facism said:

Speaks volumes about the game when the man who changed his Gaf name from FFObsessed to KZObsessed trades his copy in a week after UK release. Sad times.

It won't change anything. The game design is completely flawed. This is the last time I bought a Sony game for multiplayer day 1 and I mean it.

Cagen

lunlunqq said:
Isn't the "Saviour" patch coming? Why don't you guys wait and see if it changes the game?
The "Saviour Patch" isn't one patch, it's a series of three or more of which will take a long time to come. Though these patches can't change the fundamental issues of the maps and that TSPs don't work for the warzone gameplay.

Anyway, I'm done.

pixelbox

I know this thread isn't some big circle jerk but i think it's just best for the people who has problems with the game be. But i really do wish they would stay out of the thread if they don't like it or close the thread even. It's one big downer, all the negative vibes here and they don't see that. Don't like the game, fine. Sell it. And just leave the thread be. We get you don't like the game, but there are some people who do. I've spent 500hrs in KZ2 and i still like the game. You guys just can't adapt for whatever reason. Maybe you're getting owned, who knows.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Tence said:
Funny, I am having HUGE problems with the SP. Truth be told, I suck already sucked at it in KZ2 but at least I finished that on trooper. With this one I am stuck in the jungle on Recruit /shame

Use grenades alot, don't take any risks, learn to identify what's a good cover and what's not. Wait for the enemy to screw up (only takes a few seconds) and mow them down.

Thrakier

dazed808 said:
Speaks volumes about the game when the man who changed his Gaf name from FFObsessed to KZObsessed trades his copy in a week after UK release. Sad times.

Hm, I guess Nr. 1 reason for changing his name was because FF13 was utter shit. ;) Way more shittier than KZ3 will ever be.

JB1981

Had fun playing Salamun Market with the GAF guys last night. Honestly, if most of the maps were like that with some tweaking the game would be great fun. Either the maps need more TSPs or there should be Tact spawn or non-Tacts should be able to neutralize TSPs (as someone suggested earlier in the thread, a great idea i think).

On a side note, I played KZ2 SP and the difference in the feel of both games is staggering. I forgot how awesome it was to just shoot a damn assault rifle in that game. It feels like you are wielding a really violent weapon of death. The guns have so much weight to them and your bullets feel like they are going to tear the world apart. The hit response system was much better in KZ2 as well. I'm not sure there is another game out there that better captures the impact your bullets have on the world and the enemies you are shooting. So good and so sorely missed from KZ3.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thrakier said:

While I readily agree that there was a lot of bitching about KZ2 at release, there were quite a few of us who put in hundreds of hours into the game and loved it. A lot of those same players, who loved KZ2 despite it's flaws, are saddened to come to the realization that KZ3's flaws are much more fundamental and, for some, cannot be overlooked. A lot of the issues with KZ2 could be worked around, either through custom games, options that were removed in KZ3, or better planning. Unfortunately, some of the issues with KZ3 cannot be compensated for. If GG just put in KZ2's custom game and clan system, that would go a long way to helping things, but that's just not going to happen.

I think that's what is making some of us so frustrated - GG actually REMOVED so many features that it just doesn't make sense. We can't even join a clanmate in a public game - ridiculous!

Personally, I'll still play the game, as I am hoping it will get better and I do enjoy the game when things are going well.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This thread turned to bullshit when all the whiners came in. Especially when some of the guys just keep repeating the same things over and over again like a broken record.

Seriously dudes. Stay cool.

owlbeak

Personally, I'm glad a bunch of you who have done nothing but bitch are selling your game/returning it. We'll all be better off.

You played the demo, you knew what you were getting, and if you didn't like it why did you pay $60 for the game? Personally, I don't purchase a game based on its potential to be changed into what I want because I'm not happy with the way it is. That's insane and has ruined good games (Killzone 2 multiplayer...spawn grenade temporary invulnerability)

Love the game, love warzone, love the tactical spawns, love the maps. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just bought this sucker with the army green Dual Shock controller :D Can't wait!

CozMick

Banned
Horsebite said:
Personally, I'm glad a bunch of you who have done nothing but bitch are selling your game/returning it. We'll all be better off.

You played the demo, you knew what you were getting, and if you didn't like it why did you pay $60 for the game? Personally, I don't purchase a game based on its potential to be changed into what I want because I'm not happy with the way it is. That's insane and has ruined good games (Killzone 2 multiplayer...spawn grenade temporary invulnerability)

Love the game, love warzone, love the tactical spawns, love the maps. :D

^ this.

Killzone 3 needs the upcoming patch, the map rotation fixed and a melee button for Move.

Then, in my personal opinion it will be a greater game than Killzone 2.

just got the game, and im excited to play it even with all the negative views. i liked the SP demo and the beta quite a bit.

but i do have one major complaint already, what the fuck happened to custom music?? why did they remove it? fucking sucks and makes no sense, it's the one feature that kept me playing KZ2 instead of a COD game..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
astroturfing said:
just got the game, and im excited to play it even with all the negative views. i liked the SP demo and the beta quite a bit.

but i do have one major complaint already, what the fuck happened to custom music?? why did they remove it? fucking sucks and makes no sense, it's the one feature that kept me playing KZ2 instead of a COD game..

gorillady7zp.jpg

Vandiger

I loved this game initially, but now I'm getting soured by the lack of jetpacks or mechs on other maps, or the fact that operations mode only has 3 maps. Yeah, I only bought this game Day 1 because of Amazon's awesome deal. I'll be playing till I unlock all the classes but really, long term value is not there unless I see better maps :p

astroturfing said:

um, what? That just seems so weird

So, what's the deal with the "zero" g section? Normal movement with Halo-style floaty jumps is what qualifies as no gravity? Random bits and dead enemies float, but nothing else does? If they were gonna half-ass the implementation so much, why even do it?

Acrylic7

Just got done playing a few Warzone matches. This just isn't fun. I cant even capture a damn spawn point with half my team backing me up because two guys who blend in with the background sprayed us down the entire fucking game. little to no time to react to seeing someone. c4 and air strikes are ridiculous. Didnt even get close to snatching a point.
Air strikes need to be friendly fire enabled at all times or something. At least double or triple the cool-down rate or.
Also just noticed that enemys are significantly harder to see without the red/green glowing helmets. They really need to bring that back.

nib95

Banned
I haven't played much of Warzone (keeps crashing lol) but I'm having more fun with Guerilla Warfare in KZ3 than I did in KZ2. No idea why people are hating on the maps. I think the majority are fantastic. They all offer a unique experience and I'm never miffed at any one of them being chosen. Very rarely do I play a MP game where I don't care which map gets chosen.

alr1ght

nib95 said:
I haven't played much of Warzone (keeps crashing lol) but I'm having more fun with Guerilla Warfare in KZ3 than I did in KZ2. No idea why people are hating on the maps. I think the majority are fantastic. They all offer a unique experience and I'm never miffed at any one of them being chosen. Very rarely do I play a MP game where I don't care which map gets chosen.

there you go.

alr1ght

They are dreadful for any type of teamplay mode (which is why gaf is bitching, as that's what we play), which KZ2 was built around. It's not that difficult to make a map whose sole purpose is to help people kill each other. You don't have to deal with spawns, larger player count, (some) balancing issues.

nib95 said:
So the problem maps are with Warzone only?

Well Warzone (hopefully) involves people moving around the map at a quick pace. The design of the maps makes this rather annoying. The positioning of the TSP's/bottlenecks makes things rather crud if you are a specific faction in a certain mode. Its all a bit 'hmm'. There are a lot of VERY good camping spots.

Operations suffers too, but I've noticed people who play that tend to be a bit more objective focused.

I can see why GG made a seperate team deathmatch mode. It was probably for those players who give a shit about K/D ratio and killing. Its what I would have done. It would hopefully take away the campers/bottleneck bastards out of Warzone.

Thrakier

Galvanise_ said:
Well Warzone (hopefully) involves people moving around the map at a quick pace. The design of the maps makes this rather annoying. The positioning of the TSP's/bottlenecks makes things rather crud if you are a specific faction in a certain mode. Its all a bit 'hmm'. There are a lot of VERY good camping spots.

Operations suffers too, but I've noticed people who play that tend to be a bit more objective focused.

I can see why GG made a seperate team deathmatch mode. It was probably for those players who give a shit about K/D ratio and killing. Its what I would have done. It would hopefully take away the campers/bottleneck bastards out of Warzone.

Um? It's rather for the players who are only interessted in K/D and killing, I think.

Thrakier said:
Um? It's rather for the players who are only interessted in K/D and killing, I think.

Thats what I meant. If you are playing Warzone/Operations, I would hope that the person would be more interested in the objectives than their K/D ratio.

Thanks to GraveRobber for taking time to help me get my Platinum Trophy.

Now to put this game on the shelf for a month until more of the kinks are sorted out.

See you guys soon!

Zen

Banned
The randoms in public games have gotten so much better with time, It's now rare that I'm not in a game that's a 3-4 nail bitter with everyone playing an important role. Guerilla has made a great multiplayer shooter, and at least there's that.

Progmetal

Played quite a bit of Warzone and it was sooo fun. Teamwork were great and I took quite a few TSP's and raking in alot of points. Really addicted to this for now. :D

Just read that the Socom beta is very soon. Hopefully Move support in that game will be really good. At this point KZ3 has been a waste of my money and the only things stopping me from trading it in is the Move implementation.

To the rest of the clan - I am keeping the avatar pic, but I think I am done with this mp. I have gotten frustrated with games before, but KZ3 is the one that makes me feel that video gaming is a waste of time. Fortunately, I think this is just the game, and not the hobby. Hopefully I'll catch up with some of you in the Socom beta, and others in May with Brink.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have to say that playing this game with the sharp shooter Move controls feels badass once it clicks. Although I think you have to be rested, in decent shape, and you have to anchor the gun in pretty much the same spot on your shoulder to preserve the precision. I am excited about Socom4 and will definitely consider Dead Space 2: Extraction and RE5 now.

Grinchy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Guys, stop playing those framey laggy 24-player warzone games. Join me in playing the smooth 16-player guerrilla warfare games. It's much more fun.

In KZ2, at least I can choose to play warzone with a lower player count. Now, every warzone game is fucked. Matchmaking for the fucking win...
Oh my god...

So they never came to realize that big player counts on small maps was terrible in KZ2? Now matchmaking forces you into these ridiculous matches? This shit is exactly why I am reading impressions of this game and not playing it.

Seriously...who the fuck enjoyed playing 32 player body count on Radec last time around?

Zen

Banned
Grinchy said:
Oh my god...

So they never came to realize that big player counts on small maps was terrible in KZ2? Now matchmaking forces you into these ridiculous matches? This shit is exactly why I am reading impressions of this game and not playing it.

Seriously...who the fuck enjoyed playing 32 player body count on Radec last time around?

Player Max is 24 now and there are separate versions of the maps for warzone (much larger) and Guerrilla Warfare (much smaller). EDIT: I should Clarify, warzone games are 24 players (on big maps) Guerrilla Warfare games are 16 players (On smaller maps, and smaller versions of the warzone maps).

Example: Blood Gratch is now a Guerrilla Warfare only map probably because of the small size.

Summation: You argument is invalid, thank god. :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Grinchy said:
Oh my god...

I did. So many kills, hahaha.

Zen said:
Example: Blood Gratch is now a Guerilla Warfare only map probably because of the small size.

I find that a bit ridiculous. It was good fun for Warzone in KZ2. All maps should have Warzone and Guerilla Warfare options. Its also annoying that there are only three maps that host Operations out of the eight on the disc.

As for Radec 32 player, after a while I only played Pistols only on it because it was too much of a clusterfuck with everything else going on.

Grinchy said:
Oh my god...

Radec Academy was awesome regardless of which mode it is.

Still, I like KZ3 though, the problem is that the good teams basically have people working in groups and it makes a HUGE difference if you don't have team chemistry.

Dibbz

Jesus GAF can't stop complaining. I hear people saying 24 players is too much then saying "Why not Blood Gracht Warzone??!"

I hope you guys understand how stupid a lot of the stuff you're saying makes you look.

Also you guys had the beta to test out to see if you liked it or not. So if you spent money on it day one you got no one to blame but yourselves.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm liking it much better than the 2nd, and it really does look great.

However it's still lacking that humf!! That power behind things, it never quite comes together. It's heavier and more visually busy and oppressive than most shooters, but i don't feel the power, the kick, that strength in the gameplay.

Story is pretty weak, and the cut scenes are sort of crap but some have such beautiful moments visually.

Enjoying it though, the game entertains.

lunlunqq

Zen said:
Player Max is 24 now and there are separate versions of the maps for warzone (much larger) and Guerilla Warfare (much smaller).

Example: Blood Gratch is now a Guerilla Warfare only map probably because of the small size.

24-player in KZ3 is just as bad as 32-player in KZ2 in terms of frame rates. I don't know you guys; but I start to feel sick after a while of playing in low frame rate games. The frame rates are so much smoother in 16-player games; it's like a night and day difference from 24-player games. They should have put a 16-player cap on all the modes. That's the max number of players the engine can handle.

Just bought a PS3 and I'm enjoying KZ3 but man I'm really not digging the six axis. 360's controller is glorious. I remember seeing pics of a PS3 controller that looked to be set up a lot like a 360 controller. Was that a photoshop or is that a real thing I could purchase?

Grinchy

Banned
Zen said:
Player Max is 24 now and there are separate versions of the maps for warzone (much larger) and Guerilla Warfare (much smaller).

Well that's better news, but does that mean I can go into matchmaking for 16 player games only?

I just thought lunlunqq was saying that using the matchmaking meant you didn't get to control whether or not you played in the unplayable max player games.

Grinchy said:
Well that's better news, but does that mean I can go into matchmaking for 16 player games only?

I just thought lunlunqq was saying that using the matchmaking meant you didn't get to control whether or not you played in the unplayable max player games.

Guerilla Warfare is capped at 16 players on all maps it is available on.

Operations is capped at 16 players on the three maps it is available on.

Warzone is 24 players on all maps it is available on and there is no option to change the max player count.

Top Bottom