• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Ok guys lets start predicting the review scores.

IGN - 9.1
Gamespot - 8.5
Gametrailers - 87
Giant Bomb - 4/5
Eurogamer- 8
Game Informer - 9

I do hope Shadow Fall takes us by surprise and end up being the next Last of us or Halo in terms of quality, and I have a gut feeling it will, But its best to keep expectations in check...
Low 80's metacritic

nib95

Banned
I'm expecting mainly 8-9 range. Some will likely low ball it (Polygon, Edge, GameCritics, Quarter to Three etc). But then others will rate it in low to mid 9's. Maybe even a few 5/5's or 10/10's from some of the less stringent sites.

B.O.O.M

I'm expecting an overall mid 80s in meta

Honestly you can't take critic reviews seriously. I look forward to user reviews from here :) much more helpful

nib95

Banned
Then again, the general consensus for Killzone Mercenaries was highly positive on GAF, and from people I know personally who played it, but that game was utterly lambasted by gaming outlets. It's interesting seeing the massive gulf between the User ratings average (9.1) vs the Critics ratings average (78) for it over at Metacritic. Critics seemingly way off the mark on that one. I guess because many continue to insist on comparing PSVITA games with full console games...

a916

Ok guys lets start predicting the review scores.

IGN - 9.1
Gamespot - 8.5
Gametrailers - 87
Giant Bomb - 4/5
Eurogamer- 8
Game Informer - 9

I do hope Shadow Fall takes us by surprise and end up being the next Last of us or Halo in terms of quality, and I have a gut feeling it will, But its best to keep expectations in check...

IGN - 8.5
Gamespot - 8
Gametrailers - 93
Polygon - 7
Quarter to 3 - 1/5

83 on Metacritic

I reckon this is gonna fall somewhere in the mid 80s which is kind of sad because COD Ghosts which got ragged on pretty hard is sitting at 78 atm. I don't doubt these are going to be more than 10 points apart despite the clear difference in effort that went into each project.

Rewatched this Gamescom 2013MP trailer and at around 0:21 saw these Warzone options:

-Abilities (Scout's Stealth, Assault's Dash, for example)
-Missions (I assume they would be Killcount, VIP Assasination, Propaganda Speaker, etc. None of these were shown in the video)
-Settings
-Bots
-Sidearms
-Explosives
-Weapons

The video continues and shows a variety of Custom Warzones with different setups, with visible options that I think would be found in the "Settings" option:

-2 Lives(so, limited respawns)/Unlimited Lives
-6 players (3v3), 4 Players (2v2)
-Spawn Waves [Long]
-Friendly Fire
-Health Regen [Slow/Fast]

Based on these findings, I assume that if you can have 2v2 or 3v3 matches, there will either be smaller maps that can suit smaller player counts, or the larger maps will be able to scale down for the smaller player counts (maybe by blocking off portions of the map?)

So, a Custom Warzone like the following would be something you can create:

Example Warzone
-5 Lives Only
-Spawn Waves [Long]
-Friendly Fire [OFF]
-Support Drones [OFF]
-Revive Drones[OFF]
-Stealth [ON]
-Tactical Echo [OFF]
-Health Regen [Slow]
-Shotguns
-Pistols

Also, the A Day With Playstation Japanese trailer shows a Killzone tournament at the end. There are two teams, Blue Swat and Chaos Force. The names were shown on screen at the beginning and end of the match (the text was overlaid on top of the gameplay/final kill replay at the match's end), and unless it was just added for the commercial (highly likely in my opinion), it could be a hint that clan support might be included. Again, just a hint, needs confirmation.

nib95

Banned
I'm going with 88-91. This one feels like it could be a nice evolution for the franchise. How can all this not warrant a better reception? Especially with KZ2 currently sitting pretty on 91 and KZ3 on 84.

Absolutely. The next-gen show-case game as far as I'm concerned.

- Open ended gameplay.
- Huge levels with lots of branching paths and layers.
- Amazing scale and vistas.
- 10+ hours SP campaign length.
- Multiple ways to tackle each level (stealth, action, infiltration etc).
- Open dynamic mission objectives in many levels (do missions in any order in certain areas).
- 1080p.
- 35fps to 40fps SP and 60fps MP.
- Amazing production values and visuals.
- Much more emphasis on the narrative and characters.
- Complete overhaul in art and gameplay direction from previous games in the franchise.
- New OWL gameplay elements and tactics.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No splash screens and logo's.
- No loading times.
- Mass array of MP options.
- Free DLC competitive maps (10 ship with the game, at least 6 more free maps to follow).
- All weapons unlocked from the get go.
- 1500+ skill based objectives and challenges in the MP.

spats

Polygon 6.5
Giant Bomb 2/5
IGN 7.5
Gamespot 7
Eurogamer 6

The sloppy, underdeveloped story will receive the most critique.

SRTtoZ

Everyones picking low scores so they arent let down come release but cmon..

This game is going to fuckin rock peoples socks, even reviewers. Believe.

nib95

Banned
Regarding the complete overhaul of art,I would have preferred if they kept this look on PS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5eCCA9ZjA it would have looked stunning to say the least

I don't know dude, the new levels, colours and art direction look awesome from the short glimpses we've had thus far. I think the franchise needed a breather from the oppressive all bleak style look of the past games. This one looks to be more diverse and attractive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687143

ibojGaIrNZA50h.png

Sid

I don't know dude, the new levels, colours and art direction look awesome from the short glimpses we've had thus far. I think the franchise needed a breather from the oppressive all bleak style look of the past games. This one looks to be more diverse and attractive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687143

ibojGaIrNZA50h.png
That looks good but still the franchise never did that style justice,Killzone 2 added up a ton of effects to that scene which ruined that look.Killzone 1,3 and Mercs were plenty colorful as well.

Pop

Man just thinking about this get's me hyped.

I'd imagine me spending a lot of time just look through stuff of the UI on Ps4. But once I'm done with that, Warframe with my bro and then Killzone.

All the metacritic predictions are forgetting KZ2 did really well in reviews and settled out to a 91. I think especially given the changes they've made, it has a shot at doing very well in reviews.

I saw this, while simultaneously wishing we weren't having this discussion. Not like it matters either - Ghosts is by all accounts mediocre and sold a billion in 24 hours. Sigh.

DJwest

Lol @ all the first next gen OT comments.
Wii U, am cry
Also my guess is a minimum of 88 on Metacritic.

Ark

I'm going to guess a solid 90 on Metacritic. Hopefully it'll be as fantastic as it looks, I really really hope it is.

Concept17

Really wish I could afford a PS4 at launch. :( This game is far and away the most impressive next-gen title at this point in time, and the multiplayer sounds soooooo good.

pelican

Got my Killzone Bundle all pre-ordered and guaranteed for day one. Not sure when I will need the extra controller, but it is basically free.

reKon

Banned
Just wait u till you get down in the Helghast side of town.

Yeah and I'm hoping there's a lot of areas we have yet to see. I will be satisfied if this Uncharted 2 length.

For me, 8 hours would be a great length if it's paced well as opposed to the 5-6 we're used to seeing. I'm not too dependent on the story because the story for my FPS's suck and pale in comparison to RPGs. As long as it's decent, I'm fine. I just want a campaign that's fun to play and I felt that Killzone 3 was actually fun because it was paced very well, the powerful weapons were brilliant, the writer's were pretty much hating on a Rico vicariously through one of the other characters (the sergeant that yelled at Rico all the time), and Co-Op split screen was great.

Coiote

I have no doubts it will be the best Killzone game yet, but the press will tear this game a part anyways. Call it franchise fatigue, not enough innovation, but it will happen. Being simply a good game wont enough.

I am predicting a 7-8.5 meta.

I have no doubts it will be the best Killzone game yet, but the press will tear this game a part anyways. Call it franchise fatigue, not enough innovation, but it will happen. Being simply a good game wont enough.

I am predicting a 7-8.5 meta.
In the shooter genre it will not have much innovation, true. But no reviewer can say Guerilla took the safe path and made a Killzone 3.5. They changed a lot of gameplay elements. I even think there will be a couple of surprises in the Story.

scorpie

Neo Member
I have to say I was so excited getting Killzone 2, but I didn't even get Killzone 3 due to lack of time. Now I want to get even with myself and get K3 before playing Killzone: Shadow Fall, but damnit where do I find the time?? :'(

Top Bottom