• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

pixelbox

More KZ2. Hit/Impact reactions:

10750512746_15f4c906f9_o.gif

10750743233_090531a9b1_o.gif

10750611016_452391e1dc_o.gif

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP...Stop it....*sobs*

I'm going with 88-91. This one feels like it could be a nice evolution for the franchise. How can all this not warrant a better reception? Especially with KZ2 currently sitting pretty on 91 and KZ3 on 84.

BF4 received an 80 with a garbage throwaway single player, CoD: Ghosts ended up getting a 74 and we all know how horrid that has turned out to be.

KZ:SF is likely to be the best launch title for any system, it's built from the ground up for next-gen, and has a much more ambitious single player, along with free map DLC in the future...

I don't see how it can get low scores even if some of the press are out to hate the series...I figure there will be quite a few outlets that are genuinely surprised at the quality and effort GG has put in to take the necessary steps to advance the series rather than churning out yearly iterations of the same game like CoD.

Rojo

BF4 received an 80 with a garbage throwaway single player, CoD: Ghosts ended up getting a 74 and we all know how horrid that has turned out to be.

KZ:SF is likely to be the best launch title for any system, it's built from the ground up for next-gen, and has a much more ambitious single player, along with free map DLC in the future...

I don't see how it can get low scores even if some of the press are out to hate the series...I figure there will be quite a few outlets that are genuinely surprised at the quality and effort GG has put in to take the necessary steps to advance the series rather than churning out yearly iterations of the same game like CoD.

I hope Shadow Falls sales match the effort put in.

Derrick01

Banned
Just saw the trophy list for the game on ps3trophies, very disappointing. Only 33 and there's a decent number of multiplayer trophies. First bit of awful news for the game.

Izayoi

Banned
But will there be a snow level
I sure hope so. Snow is my favorite kind of environment for games. So pretty, reminds me of home. ( ≖‿≖)

Just saw the trophy list for the game on ps3trophies, very disappointing. Only 33 and there's a decent number of multiplayer trophies. First bit of awful news for the game.
I thought the MP trophies were super easy throwaways? Like maxing one ability of each class, unlocking all attachments, etc.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Spot on :)

Izayoi

Banned
I hope Shadow Falls sales match the effort put in.
If there is one thing that's certain, it's that it will sell very well. It's the definitive showcase title for the system, and Sony is making sure that everyone is aware of that fact.

Savitar

Looks like amazon.ca is selling the game now.

I noticed that by random, they have two listed, one seems to have been some sort of error.

Derrick01

Banned
I thought the MP trophies were super easy throwaways? Like maxing one ability of each class, unlocking all attachments, etc.

They don't seem difficult so much as very grindy, which are the worst kind of trophies. Do 400 challenges, get something like 1,000,000 points (which I assume is similar to max level trophies). That other stuff is there too.

Not trolling here, but what is supposed to be different gameplay-wise in this game versus the prior Killzones? I played each of them and, to be honest, found them to be very good looking but very average shooters. Something just felt off. Other than the sexy graphics what is the main reason to be excited?

Concept17

It's amazing to see the artistic and technical progression from KZ2 to KZ3 to KZSF. The KZ2 gifs in here make me realize just how unbelievable SF looks.

Not trolling here, but what is supposed to be different gameplay-wise in this game versus the prior Killzones? I played each of them and, to be honest, found them to be very good looking but very average shooters. Something just felt off. Other than the sexy graphics what is the main reason to be excited?

Yes, a good bit. It's all in the OP. Biggest plus for me is the progression system for multiplayer and the focus on weapon customization in tandem with class mixing. The single player also is doing a lot more than previous games and competitors, biggest being the OWL and the open world take-your-own-approach setup. It's no longer a strait roller coaster ride.

Izayoi

Banned
They don't seem difficult so much as very grindy, which are the worst kind of trophies. Do 400 challenges, get something like 1,000,000 points (which I assume is similar to max level trophies). That other stuff is there too.
Better than ones that require you to do ridiculous shit that might never happen over the course of thousands of games (looking at you, Halo 3) - at least in my opinion.

It's amazing to see the artistic and technical progression from KZ2 to KZ3 to KZSF. The KZ2 gifs in here make me realize just how unbelievable SF looks.

Yes, a good bit. It's all in the OP. Biggest plus for me is the progression system for multiplayer and the focus on weapon customization in tandem with class mixing. The single player also is doing a lot more than previous games and competitors, biggest being the OWL and the open world take-your-own-approach setup. It's no longer a strait roller coaster ride.
Thanks, and the funny thing is even though I didn't love the previous Killzones, seeing the videos and pics makes me really want to play this game ... lol. GG sucks me in every time. Hopefully the MP community is still going strong next year when I pick up a PS4.

I finally got Amazon US to moved up my ship date by changing my shipping speed to 3-5 day then back to 2-day. Kinda weird they didn't do it automatically.

I would've just gotten it at GameStop, but I want that pre-order pack.

Izayoi

Banned
I finally got Amazon US to moved up my ship date by changing my shipping speed to 3-5 day then back to 2-day. Kinda weird they didn't do it automatically.

I would've just gotten it at GameStop, but I want that pre-order pack.
What was your ship date before and after the change?

Much more open mission design. Missions are not linearly structured. More Crysis/Goldeneye, less Call of Duty.

v1lla21

Nice :D

Man, I cannot wait to play the game. I just got done playing some KZ3 with some random dude who I befriended real quick and we smashed in the last match. I'm a little sad that Operations Mode won't be in SF, but the custom warzones will probably make up for it.

i-Lo

KZ3 removed a lot of particle effects that was present in 2. Ergo, the gap between KZ3 and KZSF in that department is even larger.

I will post the GIFs for that later. In the mean time, I think someone said "snow:...

10751210393_b2d3f5e8f6_o.gif

Bakoery

I can not wait for this game! All the hype!

KZ2 was indeed the best of the franchise let's hope KZ SF will be the same or even greater.

camac002

I remember when I loaded up KZ2 in 2009, I wondered when in-game graphics would be as good as the intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5v6A01redk

So what do you guys think? Have we essentially hit 95% of that mark? (without the 16x+ AA....) Is the difference to from SF to that just a fuck ton of high quality motion blur and AA to get the CG look? To me, character models in SF are essentially better than the intro, but must catch up to the volumetric smoke effects.

pO09kL0.jpg

3c9pznu.jpg

zdYgpqY.jpg

lk6uJyb.jpg

pixelbox

KZ3 removed a lot of particle effects that was present in 2. Ergo, the gap between KZ3 and KZSF in that department is even larger.

I will post the GIFs for that later. In the mean time, I think someone said "snow:...

10751210393_b2d3f5e8f6_o.gif

It wasn't removed, it was allocated to things like the debris in the first level.

i-Lo

OMFG! That is ONE brilliant costume. Is that something that was made for one of Sony's commercials?

I remember when I loaded up KZ2 in 2009, I wondered when in-game graphics would be as good as the intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5v6A01redk

So what do you guys think? Have we essentially hit 95% of that mark? (without the 16x+ AA....) Is the difference to from SF to that just a fuck ton of high quality motion blur and AA to get the CG look? To me, character models in SF are essentially better than the intro, but must catch up to the volumetric smoke effects.

pO09kL0.jpg

3c9pznu.jpg

zdYgpqY.jpg

lk6uJyb.jpg

Not quite. The IQ is still superior. That said, if you look at the clothing animation (on Templar), you'll realize it's the CG version uses the high poly assets (of whose low poly versions are used in real time). As such, we may get more articulated clothing pieces this gen and perhaps we will get closer to the overall fidelity by the end of the generation. Perhaps it will come from Quantic Dream or ND.

It wasn't removed, it was allocated to things like the debris in the first level.

Well, in a box with limited power, it's all about how it is utilized and thus which assets will be prioritized. I saw the comparison someone did on the particle effects when grenades went off or when shots were fired into walls. KZ2 clearly took the crown in that. The scale of the levels however, do favour KZ3.

I am so making GIFs from this one.

It won't get low scores, but the MP will probably be it's weak link.

I'm thinking it will score really high though since there is nothing else to compete with it's SP campaign (which I think it's going to be judged mostly with).

i-Lo

I hope Blimblim receives the uncompressed video of 'Shadow Marshal Tactical Combat Tutorial" video soon. Gamersyde doing the lawd's work.

Zalman

I usually don't like first person shooters and I know absolutely nothing about Killzone, but the futuristic look of this game intrigues me. I might give this a shot (no pun intended) later on.

Top Bottom