• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

kensama

@Radec

Very great and nice job
icon_forum_17.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
Ive been wrestling with the whole PS4 vs X1 for a while now and think I've decided on PS4 with Shadow Fall.

I have PS4 preordered with Amazon, I'm guessing it's too late to change it to the bundle?

I was undecided on which shooter to get at launch. I think I'm going to go with this game over BF4. I'm sure both will be enjoyable as hell but this game looks so damn good. I can wait another month or two for BF4.

Can't wait.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Despite not being a huge fan of the series I ended up pre ordering this over BF/COD simply because I don't want to have to buy 50-60$ of DLC to have all the maps.

I also really really liked the campaign in the vita game.

I hope nobody thinks badly of me for not caring about any of the past history of the series. Shadow Fall looks more like Crysis 2 or 3 (which is much more my cup of tea) as a single player game, compared to the Medal of Honor / Call of Duty in the future of the other games in the series, which does nothing for me.

I've already got my copy, and I do expect to play some multiplayer (since it sounds like it's based on Wolf: MP, like all my favorite team based multiplayer games are), so I'd be happy if you wanted to add me as a friend: plagiar1ze

Skyr

I was undecided on which shooter to get at launch. I think I'm going to go with this game over BF4. I'm sure both will be enjoyable as hell but this game looks so damn good. I can wait another month or two for BF4.

Can't wait.

Yeah that's the way you should go here. The longer you wait until getting BF4 the better it will be, as it's still pretty damn buggy on current gen and PC. I assume it won't be much different on next gen.
It's a fantastic game but damn dat glitches, bugs and freezes :\

Zep

Banned
I hope nobody thinks badly of me for not caring about any of the past history of the series. Shadow Fall looks more like Crysis 2 or 3 (which is much more my cup of tea) as a single player game, compared to the Medal of Honor / Call of Duty in the future of the other games in the series, which does nothing for me.

I've already got my copy, and I do expect to play some multiplayer (since it sounds like it's based on Wolf: MP, like all my favorite team based multiplayer games are), so I'd be happy if you wanted to add me as a friend: plagiar1ze

You're no friend of mine, pal.

I don't know shit about the story neither

Hey guys, no antagonism here with this post! :D

I was curious if anyone would want to help me making a tech vs. thread for KZSF vs. Crysis 3 and a bit of Metro Last light perhaps. Not to prove which platform is the best really, but just to point out similarities, advantages, cool little techniques, small things: you know the stuff we tech heads really like. I do this stuff really in depth and with a pretty clear mind...

I will not have a PS4 or this game so would need the help to get high quality direct captures, gifs, videos, etc...

I would probably break the thread down into different rendering components and techniques as well as some over arching themes.

Anyone want to get in on this? Seems like it would be fun and perhaps fend off some of the vitriol that is innevitable in this situation.

Korten

Banned
Is there an option to predownload this game if you plan to buy it off the psn store?

Huh? how can you predownload a game without the system?

Or are you saying once you get the PS4, you want to know if you can predownload before actually buying. If you're talking about the latter... I don't believe you can, you must buy before downloading.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I was curious if anyone would want to help me making a tech vs. thread for KZSF vs. Crysis 3 and a bit of Metro Last light perhaps. Not to prove which platform is the best really, but just to point out similarities, advantages, cool little techniques, small things: you know the stuff we tech heads really like. I do this stuff really in depth and with a pretty clear mind...

I will not have a PS4 or this game so would need the help to get high quality direct captures, gifs, videos, etc...

I would probably break the thread down into different rendering components and techniques as well as some over arching themes.

Anyone want to get in on this? Seems like it would be fun and perhaps fend off some of the vitriol that is innevitable in this situation.
I'm so down. I don't have a capable PC but I know a decent amount about tech and will have a PS4 day 1.

SF would lose badly. It is way behind CrEngine

When can we expect to see some reviews for this puppy?

It's not much, but on Polygon's latest ep of The Besties they vaguely mentioned that the multiplayer being surprisingly good.

Dead

well not really...yet
When can we expect to see some reviews for this puppy?

It's not much, but on Polygon's latest ep of The Besties they vaguely mentioned that the multiplayer being surprisingly good.
surprisingly my butt. Killzoane 2 multi was amazing

Zen

Banned
Like what? I don't remember people really liking the Killzone 1 art style all that much.

Vekta is unrecognizable for one. It use to have a an aesthetic that was very grounded and reserved (especially in terms of architecture). beyond that it was actually depicted as also being generally muggy or foggy, and that wasn't just a limitation of the PS2 although it may have pushed them in that direction.

killzone-20040921014700912-942884_640w.jpg

After that, and perhaps the most important thing, the gun design. I get that this takes place decades later, but every weapon in Shadow Falls seems to have moved more towards 'unremarkable industrial design' 'fire a million bullets with pin point accuracy'. The replacement for the ISA Assault Rifle doesn't look nearly as cool, and the Helghast Assault Rifle was turned into a silenced, scoped, hyper accurate gun long before it has been completely rendered unrecognizable in Shadow Fall, I'm sure.

Paul Verhoven like over the top explosions have been neutered.

killzone-20040727094118866-893445_640w.jpg

Therw was something very cool about the art direction of Killzone 1 (+Liberation and 2), 2 retained a lot of it, but I've been replaying Liberation and man the sound work and weapon designs seem a lot more unique and distinct than we're getting now. I can't explain it very well in words, but even Killzone 3 had more... flair or style... than Shadow Fall seems to be going for, in spite of all the colors being added in for the recent installment.

killzone_021304_012-690829_640w.jpg

samman6

I am really stoked for Shadow Fall, haven't played a Killzone since 1, but the art style of this game looks really cool, a nice blend of current day and scifi, The weapon design looks great and I love the helgast look in this, less German WW2 soldier and more hi tech robot looking. I hope I dont get my ass schooled in MP tho.

CHC

I appreciate the well written analysis but I have to say as someone free of nostalgia those screens look very very generic. Shadow Fall has an extremely unique and tasteful aesthetic, and I disagree that it doesn't look grounded. Look at Dubai or the forests of the Pacific Northwest and you will see a lot of commonalities. I think the grey-brown look of old Killzone is not so unique anymore and they are giving a little different perspective on Vekta here. From my opinion this looks like one of the most unique aesthetics and worlds since Half Life 2, highly interesting and recognizable, but still grounded and real.

My two cents but I do agree the look has changes enormously since the old days.

I actually kind of agree with Zen. The weapon design, character design and even level design seem less inspired. There was something very unique about the look of KZ1 and KZ2 that really resonated with me. The weapons especially had this appealing quality to them--very much based on historical and modern weapons with all their imperfections and ruggedness.

Original KZ2 before they added color and changed some designs was so beautiful. Perhaps my favorite art direction in any game
kz-shots-small.gif

I appreciate the well written analysis but I have to say as someone free of nostalgia those screens look very very generic. Shadow Fall has an extremely unique and tasteful aesthetic, and I disagree that it doesn't look grounded. Look at Dubai or the forests of the Pacific Northwest and you will see a lot of commonalities. I think the grey-brown look of old Killzone is not so unique anymore and they are giving a little different perspective on Vekta here. From my opinion this looks like one of the most unique aesthetics and worlds since Half Life 2, highly interesting and recognizable, but still grounded and real.

My two cents but I do agree the look has changes enormously since the old days.

I'll disagree that it's totally "unique" on the basis that you could probably fool someone into thinking parts of the Shadow Fall footage we've seen was captured from a new Crysis or Halo game. Killzone 2 in hindsight, removed from the reactions of a portion of the audience whining about wanting more color, is instantly recognizable, maybe even more so in the pre-release + beta footage where the game was really dark. You'd never mistake a KZ2 gif on GAF for anything but KZ2. That's my one issue with the art direction thus far. Sure the city and forest footage looks nice, but it's not striking. The Helghan side of Vekta City we've seen glimpses of is much more unique, and look like Killzone.

X-Frame

I figured that GG would have made a How-To video series with the 3 multiplayer classes, sort of like what they did with the Shadow Marshall for SP.

3 videos showing the Assault, Scout, and Support classes would be great to hype even further before launch. Or did they already do that but I missed it? All I know is their articles on KZ.com.

Savitar

We should be getting the first reviews tomorrow at some point, looking forward to that.

It'll make the wait harder but greatness awaits.

NBtoaster

Neither do I want to be your antagonist, but I'm just curious: In this thread, do you plan to compare KZSZ to CryEngine 3 running on a $399 PC or do you plan to compare it to unplayable downsampling shots? Because I can't see a single good reason to do the latter.

Not much reason to not compare them at their best.

velociraptor

I actually kind of agree with Zen. The weapon design, character design and even level design seem less inspired. There was something very unique about the look of KZ1 and KZ2 that really resonated with me. The weapons especially had this appealing quality to them--very much based on historical and modern weapons with all their imperfections and ruggedness.

Original KZ2 before they added color and changed some designs was so beautiful. Perhaps my favorite art direction in any game
kz-shots-small.gif
The KZ2 E3 reveal was the best damn showing of the game. That gif oozes atmosphere.

Comparing rendering techniques is fine. I'm just recommending to not use unrealistic settings for image quality on PC. You already need a Titan for 35+fps in Crysis with 1080p and 4xSMAA. There's no need for a comparison of a 30-40fps console game to a 5fps downsampling PC shot. That's just persuasive bullshit for pseudo-educational discussions.

Neither do I want to be your antagonist, but I'm just curious: In this thread, do you plan to compare KZSZ to CryEngine 3 running on a $399 PC or do you plan to compare it to unplayable downsampling shots? Because I can't see a single good reason to do the latter.

I primarilz plan on just looking at techniques and not necessarilz the performance of them really...
like which PPAA is better, shadow resolution stuff, motionblur, depth of field at various settings etc...

It is not gonna be some sort of "console beatdown"

I am legitimately impressed and curious about how the game looks and stacks up against some of the PC's best. Also, Cevat yerli made a comment in January of this year that not many next gen games will look better than Crysis 3. Might as well see what is meant by that if anything.

Believe me, I will make the comparison both along tech and... mention the obvious price/performance things if necessary. I play Crysis 3 for example with variable ~60 fps with SMAA1x on Very High 1080p... I have a realistic outlook here.

I am down for the comparison. I will have a PS4 day one and I have all the next gen games on the PC with a GTX690. I was going to do this anyway. I'm guessing that none of the games will match Metro Last Light. That game is a super sleeper graphical giant clearly having more tech than anything out.

nib95

Banned
I am down for the comparison. I will have a PS4 day one and I have all the next gen games on the PC with a GTX690. I was going to do this anyway. I'm guessing that none of the games will match Metro Last Light. That game is a super sleeper graphical giant clearly having more tech than anything out.

Only interested in comparisons to PC graphics if they're realistic settings. Eg 1080p with 2-4xMSAA, 8-16x AF, High settings etc. Not the ultra down sampled extreme AA bullshots a lot of PC gamers post that are completely outside the realm of feasibility for 99.999% of PC gamers and would cost an extortionate amount of money to run at high frame rates.

velociraptor

On a technical level, I doubt any PS4 title will surpass Metro Last Light/Crysis 3 maxed out.

The PS4 is limited by it's hardware, but what you need to understand however is that that's perfectly fine.

Killzone looks fantastic, irrespective of what platform it was created on. The console is powerful enough to produce games that look as visually enticing as games like Metro Last Light.

Top Bottom