• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this has been talked about but...

Is there gonna be a GAF clan?
Do either the PS4 or Shadow Fall have built-in clan support? That'd be awesome if so. Even if not, though, you can be sure there will be tons of informal games amongst GAFers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are these not examples of it? Or is this just typical higher poly geometry?

QnsQ349.jpg

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Multiplayer-Screens-Cornered-Soldier.jpg

KZ4_Rubbley.jpg

It is but I think he was referring to a more comprehensive use of it. That stuff is pretty basic displacement mapping. We haven't yet seen it on characters.

Are there jetpacks in this game??

Honestly that was the best thing about Killzone 3

No

There are a number scattered around the indoor levels coming from small lights on the floor. Also the cut scene room with Psycho, where he gets in a fight with clair is all done with an area light.
According to their lighting artist the game has about 250-300 in total. It was not used so much since it was developed quite late in the games dev cycle.

I will load it up and see what I can find.

I'm specifically looking for the shape of the specular highlight resembling the area light shape and the light needs to move so that the BRDF reflection changes. Also, need to see shadows cast from it.

It is but I think he was referring to a more comprehensive use of it. That stuff is pretty basic displacement mapping. We haven't yet seen it on characters.

I don't think that's displacement mapping. It would be dynamic and you would always start with the original low poly model and the GPU would tessellate into better geometry on-the-fly. Tomb Raider has the best representation of highly used tessellation in-game with Metro a close second.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think that's displacement mapping. It would be dynamic and you would always start with the original low poly model and the GPU would tessellate into better geometry on-the-fly. Tomb Raider has the best representation of highly used tessellation in-game with Metro a close second.

I'll have to look into it a bit more. Tessellation isn't one of my strong suits since I haven't seen it used much yet.

Zen

Banned
I have to disagree with the Vekta is unrecognizable. The Majority of the urban Vektan environments in Killzone 1 were spent in industrial complexes. Where the architecture would more reserved less ostentatious . Only the jungle and swamp sections of the game were overly foggy.

It's not about being overly foggy, every area, from 'Walk in the Park' to everything before Onwards and Upwards was foggy to some degree. In terms of grandiose architecture there was never really any hint of the Vekta we see in Mercenary or (apparently) Shadowfall.

Though recent builds of Shadowfall seem to have added in fog in the forest level and changed the background hue in that first level to white, so maybe they have made changes to addressed the apparent disconnect in environmental consistency.

camac002

Btw they havent fixed the rain and the game still has pop ups

Final version of what was shown on gttv a while back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNo5BXmkuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rain looks half assed and clips through the train....major pop in after immigration check
:p

Isn't this just the b-roll from the preview event http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67e3eFVSR4

As he tells Sessler, they hadn't finished the game when that was recorded. Not the absolute final build but close.

I will load it up and see what I can find.

I'm specifically looking for the shape of the specular highlight resembling the area light shape and the light needs to move so that the BRDF reflection changes. Also, need to see shadows cast from it.
I mean instead of looking for it in a very specific instance you could just load up the most recent cryengine SDK. It is the same engine version as in C3 and you could easily create that scenario with an area light instead of spending time hunting for a moving area light.

Vhalyar

Maybe too early to answer, but 2 questions:

1. If I pre-ordered the PS4 KZ bundle, do I get the KZ pre-order stuff?
2. Any idea when the co-op mode is coming out? :(

KKRT00

Comparing rendering techniques is fine. I'm just recommending to not use unrealistic settings for image quality on PC. You already need a Titan for 35+fps in Crysis with 1080p and 4xSMAA. There's no need for a comparison of a 30-40fps console game to a 5fps downsampling PC shot. That's just persuasive bullshit for pseudo-educational discussions.

Its about rendering techniques not IQ. It will be the same with Xbone games. 720p, 900p, 1080p or 4k doesnt matter in the long run if game is running Quake 3 technology. Agree?

IQ alone should not be a big concern in such comparison, because it does not change what game is really rendering. The only thing that changes with IQ is perception of assets and quality of post-processing.
Hell, i can post downsampled shots from Crysis 3 Lowest settings [and thats playable on tons of PCs mind You] that will look generally better than any shot from KZ:SF, but i dont think that it renders more in this mode than GG's game, and because of that it would be awful comparison.

keit4

Banned
The game looks stunning but I can't get excited about it. I really want to, but the Killzones i have played (KZ and KZ2) were a borefest.

They weren't the problem. It was the lack of wet flooring and splashes. Which they've now added.

Weird, my problem was always with the particle which look really super imposed and geometric (pointy white lines).

To each his own I guess. To me it still looks just as strange because of that particle effect.

The rain looks slightly better although they still look like white streaks.

That was the problem I always had with it. I thought we all had that problem.

drproton

They weren't the problem. It was the lack of wet flooring and splashes. Which they've now added.

Suddenly with the wetness and animations of droplets hitting the ground it doesn't look as jarring. I'm sure proper rain sound effects would help a lot too.

The environment reacts to them now, which was the problem. The particle effect could be better but now it's not as jarring.

The weird thing is... going back to the thread... everyone was not talking about the lack of puddles or rain splashes, but rather due to the way the rain drops look.

Constantly posting the .gif (which does not even really look at the ground) and with stills like this:
jbgs1KiRCgrpNH.jpg

And then it looks like this now:
capturei4unf.jpg

Seems like some sort of collective "selbstäuschung" to me.

Top Bottom