• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

velociraptor

Only interested in comparisons to PC graphics if they're realistic settings. Eg 1080p with 2-4xMSAA, 8-16x AF, High settings etc. Not the ultra down sampled extreme AA bullshots a lot of PC gamers post that are completely outside the realm of feasibility for 99.999% of PC gamers and would cost an extortionate amount of money to run at high frame rates.
A lot of these games are scalable to the point where a PS4-spec system would be able to run them comfortably without sacrificing noticeable visual quality. I find some DX11 effects are very expensive with very little reward. I ran Metro 2033 1080p, 60fps on my PC. Maxed out it's like 25-30FPS. As I tinkered with the options, I got a massive performance boost while still retaining excellent visuals.

Vekta is unrecognizable for one. It use to have a an aesthetic that was very grounded and reserved (especially in terms of architecture). beyond that it was actually depicted as also being generally muggy or foggy, and that wasn't just a limitation of the PS2 although it may have pushed them in that direction.
I have to disagree with the Vekta is unrecognizable. The Majority of the urban Vektan environments in Killzone 1 were spent in industrial complexes. Where the architecture would more reserved less ostentatious . Only the jungle and swamp sections of the game were overly foggy.

Rising_Hei

On a technical level, I doubt any PS4 title will surpass Metro Last Light/Crysis 3 maxed out.

The PS4 is limited by it's hardware, but what you need to understand however is that that's perfectly fine.

Killzone looks fantastic, irrespective of what platform it was created on. The console is powerful enough to produce games that look as visually enticing as games like Metro Last Light.

This is BS, look back at 2006 and try to think if you thought games like TLOU were possible with that hardware :)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
KZ3 was the last FPS I played the shit out of. If my friends were grabbing a PS4 I would be all over this. Guess I'll have to wait for next year.

nib95

Banned
I wish we got KZ2 level death animations. Just seem to be missing that oomph

o07bu.gif

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nope. No campaign coop of any kind, just for pay post release coop. Huge disappointment :(

Yeah I expected that but hoped for some last time change. I don't care if graphical compromises had to be made, I would have loved some co-op gaming with my buds. Oh well.

Do we know if the rain is the exact same rain like on earth? I mean what if it consists not just of water but of different chemical compounds, wouldn't it look different? It's a different world after all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

velociraptor

This is BS, look back at 2006 and try to think if you thought games like TLOU were possible with that hardware :)
What I was trying to imply is that a game doesn't have to be 'technically advanced' to look good. It doesn't matter what is happening behind the scenes or whether or not a game has HBAO+; as long as the final display looks good, that's all that matters. This is why I expect to see games that look much better than Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 on the PS4 in a few years. Hell, The Order 1886 already looks like a damn fine game.

Yeah I expected that but hoped for some last time change. I don't care if graphical compromises had to be made, I would have loved some co-op gaming with my buds. Oh well.

It's really surprising for what Sony is positing as their mainline fps series to have no online coop for 3 consecutive entries. It was nice 3 had SS coop but that was entirely a development side effect of them programming for 3D. I just cannot understand why this team does not think coop is important. In a recent interview, they were like "we've heard you gamers - you seem to like coop!" Like wtf guys - it is 2013, people have been loving on coop for a good number of years now, especially in this genre.

Pop ins happen, I get that, but I have no idea why the rain hasn't been fixed since we've seen a better rain effect in this game. Part of the day 1 patch, maybe?
The particle effects in this game have been all over the place imo. I guess they ran out of time. The rain looks really bad...even Killzone 2 had better rain (that one dlc map)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The particle effects in this game have been all over the place imo. I guess they ran out of time. The rain looks really bad...even Killzone 2 had better rain (that one dlc map)

The particles have always looked great to me, it's just that fucking rain that stands out so much because everything else is top notch. The fact that the MP map and the previous games have had better rain makes it seem more like a glitch than a bad effect. Maybe something happened like with the motion blur in Uncharted 3 at launch.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Will this game have a custom games browser? Or will it be like Halo where custom games are invite-only?

I asked this a few days ago but I can't remember if anyone answered me, lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Will this game have a custom games browser? Or will it be like Halo where custom games are invite-only?

I asked this a few days ago but I can't remember if anyone answered me, lol.

It will. That's a key focus of multiplayer. Custom game types can be shared freely between members and GG has a team curating the best modes to feature to all players.

The particles have always looked great to me, it's just that fucking rain that stands out so much because everything else is top notch. The fact that the MP map and the previous games have had better rain makes it seem more like a glitch than a bad effect. Maybe something happened like with the motion blur in Uncharted 3 at launch.
Dont agree with you in the particles. But they keep showing this level over and over, no way this a glitch.

nib95

Banned
Dont agree with you in the particles. But they keep showing this level over and over, no way this a glitch.

It's probably just a placeholder filter that never got replaced. There's other segments in the SP and MP where the rain looks great, with wet floors, splashes, puddles and all the rest. For some reason in this segment the rain just looks unfinished.

Savitar

For however good some games look now you know they will get better as time goes on, always the case. Launch games, they're often a taste of things to come. Killzone here already looks pretty damn good so I'm quite excited to see how great they will be in five years time.

May be quite astounding.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's probably just a placeholder filter that never got replaced. There's other segments in the SP and MP where the rain looks great, with wet floors, splashes, puddles and all the rest. For some reason in this segment the rain just looks unfinished.

That's what I think too. It's so odd. Launch game gonna launch game, I guess.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It will. That's a key focus of multiplayer. Custom game types can be shared freely between members and GG has a team curating the best modes to feature to all players.
Sweet. I knew about all the customization stuff, but I wasn't sure how it would be made available to wider audiences. I honestly think the default settings look like an unbalanced clusterfuck, but 1. I've barely played KZ before and 2. I haven't played Shadow Fall at all! I'm just going off of what I'm seeing, and what I'm seeing looks like Halo 4 levels of bad. So, I'm really crossing my fingers that the custom Warzones will help some more balanced settings trickle up. Regardless, though, I'm really excited for this game, even if it ends up being unbalanced and kinda mindless.

nib95

Banned
Re-post of the YouTube captures I took from the new Shadow Marshall Tutorial vid. Which I'm assuming is the latest build.

KZSF20.jpg~original

KZSF17.jpg~original

KZSF10.jpg~original

KZSF21.jpg~original

KZSF3.jpg~original

KZSF8.jpg~original

KZSF12.jpg~original

KZSF2.jpg~original

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an email from Amazon saying my copy shipped. hype hype hype

Hawk269

Oh fuck me it's actually happening, isn't it?

The hyyyyyyyyype!!

Great job on the OT, Radec, this is my most anticipated launch game by far. Can't wait for the multiplayer, hope it lives up to KZ2.

Yeah, I have been holding my copy of Killzone that I got almost 2 weeks ago waiting in anticipation. 1st game I am installing and booting up!

Vire

Pop ins happen, I get that, but I have no idea why the rain hasn't been fixed since we've seen a better rain effect in this game. Part of the day 1 patch, maybe?
On second thought that is probably old b roll footage because Rajin Games rarely if ever show new stuff.

Here's hoping it was fixed.

Only interested in comparisons to PC graphics if they're realistic settings. Eg 1080p with 2-4xMSAA, 8-16x AF, High settings etc. Not the ultra down sampled extreme AA bullshots a lot of PC gamers post that are completely outside the realm of feasibility for 99.999% of PC gamers and would cost an extortionate amount of money to run at high frame rates.

Yea, I agree with you there..

I'll do videos using FRAPS @ 1080p.

Yea, I agree with you there..

I'll do videos using FRAPS @ 1080p.

Don't worry, when I do the comparison thread with RoboPlato it will not be 8XAA and 4K. It will be down to earth image quality at the highest cvar settings (very high) @1080p.

It is mainly for a comparison of the graphical techniques being shown (how one games does area lighting and AO vs. the other etc...).
I plan on being rather technical going about it and not just willy nilly posting screens.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On second thought that is probably old b roll footage because Rajin Games rarely if ever show new stuff.

Here's hoping it was fixed.

Oh yeah, good point. I did notice that some of the preview footage from a couple weeks ago was identical to the GTTV stuff so it probably was all b-roll.

nib95

Banned
Oh yeah, good point. I did notice that some of the preview footage from a couple weeks ago was identical to the GTTV stuff so it probably was all b-roll.

Looking back, yea, looks like B roll footage from an older build. Same stuff shown on G4TV a while back.

What I was trying to imply is that a game doesn't have to be 'technically advanced' to look good.

This becomes a subjective opinion though. More tech *should* yield better visuals. That's just a fact.

It doesn't matter what is happening behind the scenes or whether or not a game has HBAO+; as long as the final display looks good, that's all that matters. This is why I expect to see games that look much better than Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 on the PS4 in a few years. Hell, The Order 1886 already looks like a damn fine game.

That's a fair opinion -- but it's purely subjective. When we start saying things like "this game looks technically better than that game.." that's when we can prove or disprove based on features.

I'm waiting to see the first PS4 game to take advantage of tessellation. Haven't seen it yet.

Don't worry, when I do the comparison thread with RoboPlato it will not be 8XAA and 4K. It will be down to earth image quality at the highest cvar settings (very high) @1080p.

It is mainly for a comparison of the graphical techniques being shown (how one games does area lighting and AO vs. the other etc...).
I plan on being rather technical going about it and not just willy nilly posting screens.

Good. I shall be right there with you on the tech. ;)

Btw, only one game I've seen using local area lights (not environment lighting) and ALL of them being *real* (i.e. casting shadows) and not light maps.. Metro:LL.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Btw, only one game I've seen using local area lights (not environment lighting) and ALL of them being *real* (i.e. casting shadows) and not light maps.. Metro:LL.

This is doing it too, as long as nothing has changed from the old lighting presentation. They're all shaped area lights as well, so they cast light in the proper patterns.

Crysis 3 uses Area Lights that cast pen umbra shadows and have arbitrary shapes (specular and otherwise)... but they are not used too often in the game actually (they are there though).

Do not worry, we will arrange much over PMs. Ill keep in contact with you and roboplato.

Now back to the topic at hand!

Crysis 3 uses Area Lights that cast pen umbra shadows and have arbitrary shapes (specular and otherwise)... but they are not used too often in the game actually (they are there though).

I specifically looked for it.. Never saw any. You can to tell me exactly where so I can load the game up on that level?

Sorry for OT post.

Are these not examples of it? Or is this just typical higher poly geometry?

Pictures

Those examples you give are most likely High poly meshes and parallax occlusion mapping. (could be displacement maps though)

There are some ways one can tell, but I will have to wait till I can talk to someone who has the game directly at hand.

I specifically looked for it.. Never saw any. You can to tell me exactly where so I can load the game up on that level?

Sorry for OT post.

There are a number scattered around the indoor levels coming from small lights on the floor. Also the cut scene room with Psycho, where he gets in a fight with clair is all done with an area light.
According to their lighting artist the game has about 250-300 in total. It was not used so much since it was developed quite late in the games dev cycle.

Top Bottom