• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

drproton

The weird thing is... going back to the thread... everyone was not talking about the lack of puddles or rain splashes, but rather due to the way the rain drops look.

Constantly posting the .gif (which does not even really look at the ground) and with stills like this:
jbgs1KiRCgrpNH.jpg

Seems like some sort of collective "selbstäuschung" to me.

I think it's more that they didn't do anything to sell the illusion that those are supposed to be rain. They don't look enough like rain on their own, so that's why people complained. But even using the same particle effect, with enough audiovisual cues people will believe in the rain.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The weird thing is... going back to the thread... everyone was not talking about the lack of puddles or rain splashes, but rather due to the way the rain drops look.

Constantly posting the .gif (which does not even really look at the ground) and with stills like this:
jbgs1KiRCgrpNH.jpg

And then it looks like this now:
capturei4unf.jpg

Seems like some sort of collective "selbstäuschung" to me.

For me it was always the ground and the clipping.

Showaddy

Man I really wasn't happy with GG dropping Joris de Man for Shadow Fall and bringing in Tyler Bates as the composer but after listening to that tech video, I can totally see why they made the change. Love the new sound.

The white streak rain is kinda annoying, but I'll live, considering everything else I've seen looks fucking insane. Shoulda channeled dat Crysis 3 rain though!!

3NrUoJv.jpg

Violater

Yea I'm going full digital for KZ, got $20 on PSN now I await my $10 from Sony.
Then when I get BF4 I wont have to take any disks out till Infamous launches.

Strider

Yea I'm going full digital for KZ, got $20 on PSN now I await my $10 from Sony.
Then when I get BF4 I wont have to take any disks out till Infamous launches.

I keep forgetting about the $10 credit we get with the console. No idea what I'm going to use it for.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I am not that fond of how it is done in Crysis 3, maybe it is the combination with he filter.

Beyond does rain pretty well I would say.
In both cases it's a very heavy rain though. When it's supposed to be a light rain, like it seems KZ is going for, the effect usually never looks as convincing.

It's not about being overly foggy, every area, from 'Walk in the Park' to everything before Onwards and Upwards was foggy to some degree.
The vektan slums were not foggy in the least, neither were the docks, overcast, but not foggy. The mangrove swamp is foggy. the jungle is foggy. The fogginess ends at the missile base.

txag2005

Banned
Is it recommended to play Killzone 1-3 before Shadow Fall, or does it not matter? Shadow Fall will be my first Killzone game I've played.

I mean instead of looking for it in a very specific instance you could just load up the most recent cryengine SDK. It is the same engine version as in C3 and you could easily create that scenario with an area light instead of spending time hunting for a moving area light.

I'm sure the engine can do it.. but that feature needs to be in the game with all assets and AI, etc.. it does no good to support DX11 features but not include them in the game.. that's my point.

Joeki11a

Banned
Is it weird I like the non post processing look?

In the tech video they showed two Helgast

Characters, they look better or more "clean"

Without the post processing.

Jobbs

Banned
Got my Killzone SF. A bit curious to see nothing in the case but the disc (and a 7 day PSN code). Is this just how things are this gen? I don't NEED a manual, but it.. feels nice.. to have one.

I'm sure the engine can do it.. but that feature needs to be in the game with all assets and AI, etc.. it does no good to support DX11 features but not include them in the game.. that's my point.

Their lighting director: the guy who put the area lights in the game:
the area lights were developed during the last part of the full production of C3. This is one of the reason why they are harder to find in the game, simply because there are less of them. Also, our materials are not necessarily extremely glossy and shiny overall and they are quite rough and bumpy, so these lights are much harder to detect. Most of the area lights are used in interior, especially in the "Lab" at the end of the 4th level (the night level) and a few other interiors where the specular highlights were abnormally "pointy". There are probably less than two hundreds of them though and in most cases players won't see a difference between a point projector and an area light. If we had a game with many more clean and shiny materials, I would have used many more of these lights, but it wasn't really the case for C3. The 2043 prefabs are modules containing several entities at once (point or area lights, flares, lighting shapes, etc.).

Gaz_RB

Got my Killzone SF. A bit curious to see nothing in the case but the disc (and a 7 day PSN code). Is this just how things are this gen? I don't NEED a manual, but it.. feels nice.. to have one.

How about those controls printed on the opposite side of the game cover though?? Eh? eh?

Is it just me or does the chaaracter who is the terrorist guy look middle eastern?

Asscreed4, Ghosts, BF4, and NBA2k14 all have manuals-albeit miniscule manuals

Venturer

I'm still scratching my head at AC4 being the best selling game currently. Now that's really unexpected.

Still overall Killzone is doing better, most likely down to everyone who took advantage of the B2G1 offer already had Killzone.

bestsellers.png

Looks like a good re-launch for the franchise.

Has anyone been able to redeem their preorder code from Amazon online? I was able to redeem my AC4 codes, but the Killzone code says it's invalid.

phuturist

Banned
Is it just me or does the chaaracter who is the terrorist guy look middle eastern?

Very unlikely, you are probably just seeing things you want/fear to see. No offense intended. At this point in the lore, people from helghan are a seperate ethnicity themselves due to getting used to the hostile environment, evolution and all.

I'm very interested in the story, but too bad none of the main characters look as awesome as Visari, Radec, Stahl, or Orlock. Voice actors for those guys were fantastic.

From the names, to the designs, to the appearance, these guys were so. damn. cool.

I really hope we can revisit those characters sometime down the gen... I wonder if Shadow Fall will answer the teaser from KZ3's ending?

Top Bottom