• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Zen

Banned
Yeah thanx. Someone also told me in another thread.
I thought he might be a defector or something.

Reading this makes me wish that Hakha wold have made an appearance in the series again. He's probably long dead, along with Luger, Templar, Sev , Rico (Presumably), though I wouldn't put it past them to show us old man Natko at some point. I have to figure that Luger and Hakha probably died unremarkably at some point following the original game. The death of Templar in Killzone 2 was a powerfully well done moment and really helped underline how everyone you play as or interact with are all just cogs in this machine that will drive itself to no end.

drproton

After reading this I'm not very alarmed. If the worst thing they can say about it is that it's generic while recommending Battlefield and CoD over it, I can't really put much stake in their opinions. The main reason I appreciate Killzone is because of the setting and art design, which is vastly more inspired than either of those, in my opinion.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
I'm so fucking suspicious of someone who complains about something being generic then wholeheartedly recommends COD in the same piece.

He even outright admits that Ghosts itself is generic. COD does nothing new, so buy it. Killzone might do something new once we finish playing it, so wait.

I just can't.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just opened my copy, that new game smell. Ahhhh
I did the same thing a few hours ago. sogood.gif

I've been avoiding any story info on this game, but I saw a few gifs from the new trailer, and holy shit. So gorgeous. Can anyone recommend a good place to get a summary of the first three games? I've never played through'em.

BY4z7WPCMAA1lOg.png:large

Eusis

He even outright admits that Ghosts itself is generic. COD does nothing new, so buy it. Killzone might do something new once we finish playing it, so wait.

I just can't.
If you pay attention to what he says it's clearly a recommendation for CoD fans, whereas those who haven't cared about the series (lately at least) are better off skipping it. So I guess it's more a "If you're a CoD fan then YEAH BUY THIS" than a "BUY THIS GENERIC SHOOTER" period.

And Killzone Shadow Fall IS in an interesting position. It sounds notably different from prior games except maybe Mercenary, and even then I think that they may only be similar in that they both went for a design that's at least somewhat more open rather than rigidly linear. It could well be the game that will win over those who traditionally were ambivalent about Killzone, or it may do little there and even alienate long time fans. I'll take a chance for the sake of more open FPSes (and that trading in IS a fallback), but I understand trepidation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to get a group going Friday night? I'd be happy to coordinate a lobby (or whatever it's called in KZ). Let's say 6pm Pacific. I'll be playing most of the rest of the day, too, so maybe we can just wing it. Add me on PSN: kittens_dx.

We should get GAF customs going on a regular basis.

Anyone want to get a group going Friday night? I'd be happy to coordinate a lobby (or whatever it's called in KZ). Let's say 6pm Pacific. I'll be playing most of the rest of the day, too, so maybe we can just wing it. Add me on PSN: kittens_dx.

We should GAF customs going on a regular basis.

I'll be around Kitten, I think I already sent you a FR. PSN: The_Octodad

I just read up on all the lore, then rewatched the story trailer which now makes sense. I'm so hyped, let's do this!

greenfish

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K_IIc89DvNg

12 min gameplay.

What's up with the framedrops?

You know what i'm getting tired of this 30fps lock when in fact it's not. I've never played a 30fps lock game on console that NEVER dipped. I can see noticeable fps drops in that video.
I'm a PC gamer by heart, can't stand the 8 year gap between consoles, they should have upgraded a new console every 3-4 years. But from what i've seen so far on ps4 this game does in fact look very impressive. But that video has got me a little bit worried, fps drops ruins immersions in games.

Please tell me this is NOT how the actual game will be like?

Thanks

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K_IIc89DvNg

12 min gameplay.

What's up with the framedrops?

You know what i'm getting tired of this 30fps lock when in fact it's not. I've never played a 30fps lock game on console that NEVER dipped. I can see noticeable fps drops in that video.
I'm a PC gamer by heart, can't stand the 8 year gap between consoles, they should have upgraded a new console every 3-4 years. But from what i've seen so far on ps4 this game does in fact look very impressive. But that video has got me a little bit worried, fps drops ruins immersions in games.

Please tell me this is NOT how the actual game will be like?

Thanks
The game isn't locked at 30 FPS. It targets 60 FPS, but has some drops. I'm not sure how severe those drops are.

viveks86

Whoa!

Single player is targeted at higher than 30fps?

Then i'm suprised and impressed :O

Thanks for the prompt reply

It's between 35-40, according to this website that played the near final build :)

The singleplayer campaign of Killzone: Shadow Fall is rendered in a native 1920x1080p resolution with framerates ranging between 35 and 40 frames per second.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/96034/A+new+Killzone+for+a+new+generation/

Also, this gamersyde video would make you think it's even closer to 60.
http://dlna.gamersyde.com/secdl.php/oQLV-XCCN3M4Cn_q6gwNjQ/pgw_killzone_sp60.mp4

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn.

Hoping it reviews well, just so it has a positive effect on sales of the game. I already own it, and know I will enjoy the hell out of it. GG has not let me down yet. (by much)

How are people calling this game "generic"

Do they even know what that word means?

It seems like the same lame excuse for people that hate on the series for no reason at all... "oh, just another generic shooter"

uhh, no

meanwhile, in the same article, "buys" for CoD and AC4

give me a freaking break

Same shit different KZ game...as expected...I am already seeing lots of 6-7s with the usual complains about KZ. For some reason KZ is generic shit but the ultimate generic fps COD is praised no matter how shitty it is.

Schrade

Just watched a bunch of the BRoll Footage from the PlayStation Press Site.

I can't wait to play this game!

Lots of footage of the campaign I hadn't seen before.

The 2 gig zip file even included two MP3s with the music from the game.

nib95

Banned
I'ts coming!

GliUeMI.jpg

My faith in games journalism is at quite a low at present, but I'm still intrigued to see what all these new games get either way. So far the reception to the games has been sort of strange. COD being utterly lambasted (a first) whilst Fifa is essentially given another free run. Then there's BF4, NBA 2K14 and AC BF which have all reviewed well, despite also lacking much innovation (not suggesting a game needs to be innovative to be great, that is absolutely not the case). So it will be interesting to see if the innovation argument is used against Shadow Fall.

Personally I'm of the mind that Killzone Shadow Fall is one of the most ambitious next gen games being released at launch, and despite many journos claiming it's just more Killzone, it really is not. It's a fundamental paradigm shift for the franchise, in both gameplay approach and art direction. The OWL, the selective open ended gameplay, the oft non structured mission objectives, ability to approach certain levels in multiple ways, hell, even the move to 60fps in MP. There's a lot about this game that is simply a break from Killzone tradition. Art direction (colour!) and a hell of a lot less linearity being two major differences. It didn't necessarily need to be non-linear to be great, but the addition of some more open ended gameplay in parts of the game is certainly welcome.

I also have to commend them on unlocking all weapons from the start in MP and going with an experience'less system, one instead based on challenges and tasks to unlock only non essentials. Offering free DLC maps from here on out is also a tremendous offering and great value proposition for us consumers. Hope GG are commended on these fronts.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think Killzone has a stigma attached to it still

Since the day it was said it was going to be "Halo Killer", that stench has always lingered with the franchise

KZ can bring fresh ideas, graphics galore, but it will still be seen as the wanna be big boy
Halo,COD, BF and Gears are like the 4 main stays for most people who think FPS Shootbang

Resistance had a cult following, but with 2 and the me too syndrome everyone and their mother attached onto in the industry by chasing that COD dollar, most franchises got diluted

Only way KZ becomes the new hotness is if it surpasses COD/BF sales and overtakes the mind-share of the gaming community, here's hoping it does

foladar

Having never played Killzone before, would it be accurate to assume a ~10 hour story? Trying to plan out my ps4 schedule for all my gaming this weekend.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious about how Shadow Fall breaks away from Killzone tradition in multiplayer. I've barely played KZ in the past, so I don't really know. What changes have been made? Which ones are fans excited about and trepidatious of?

Edit : I'm also really curious to hear what fans think are the essential, vital elements of KZ multiplayer. What makes it what it is?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Only way KZ becomes the new hotness is if it surpasses COD/BF sales and overtakes the mind-share of the gaming community, here's hoping it does

This won't happen. It just won't.

That said. Killzone has a real chance to win a lot of hearts and minds with Shadowfall, being the most impressive launch title, a solid SP and Mulitplayer showcase, 1080p@40-60fps etc.

It is essentially a reboot, and if they pull it off could see the series hit new heights of popularity.

Dahaka

The best way is to listen or get feedback from like-minded players/friends. It's way way better than games journalism and their 10/10 Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite and all these highly praised overly milked series like Bugfield 4, COD and Fifa that always get a pass.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
KZ doesn't need to beat COD or BF4 to be a success. In fact, it needs to avoid chasing the COD money and only reinvent itself in ways that stay true to its roots. Halo went down the COD path and it was a disaster.

viveks86

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
KZ doesn't need to beat COD or BF4 to be a success. In fact, it needs to avoid chasing the COD money and only reinvent itself in ways that stay true to its roots. Halo went down the COD path and it was a disaster.

I didn't mean to say that KZ should chase that dollar

When something becomes the norm, and becomes clockwork it really takes awhile for someone else to come in shake things up

People attach themselves to a franchise and it's really hard to let go, even for journalist

It's the benefit of the doubt syndrome

Top Bottom