• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

tiddles

Ok. So, I'm not really a shooter player. So I need some help.

What the hell am I doing wrong here? Playing on easy and I'm getting my ass handed to me in the very first real enemy encounter at the crash site. Made my way over to the site and there are 8-10 guys there, then another 8-10 come up behind me. And the airship is pounding me from above. I'm just a sitting duck. How do I approach this? Feeling lost here, GAF.

Use Tactical Echo (up on d-pad) to scan the environment, and avoid enemies. Locate the alarms (tall poles with lights) and hack them with the OWL when enemies are not close - this will stop reinforcements (the guys with shotguns coming down from the dropships) coming in and make things a lot easier.

USC-fan

Banned

What the hell am I doing wrong here? Playing on easy and I'm getting my ass handed to me in the very first real enemy encounter at the crash site. Made my way over to the site and there are 8-10 guys there, then another 8-10 come up behind me. And the airship is pounding me from above. I'm just a sitting duck. How do I approach this? Feeling lost here, GAF.

You can't let them hit the alarm. That causes the airship and extra guys to come.

Not a criticism of you, but that lack of aim-assist is gonna be a game changer or a slap in the face to a lot of people that pick up KZ. I'd imagine you just have to acclimate yourself to the lack of it and you'll get it.

Number45

So happy to hear that the game is tough, the others have been no joke.

two-weeks.jpg

:(

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've noticed a lot of players forgetting about OWL abilities, and even forgetting that they can heal with healthpacks. So if you're getting a bit overwhelmed, make sure you're using the OWL to stun enemies, attack enemies, put down shields, and using healthpacks when you're low on health.

Thanks for the advice. I used my environment to me advantage at the crash site by luring guys to the rock bridge and using the OWL shield to guard myself and mow them down. Neat tactic. I'm also learning to look for the alarms but they're not always easy to spot from afar - despite the big red light on top. The game is so visually dense that it's hard to pick them out. In the next area atop the cliff you have to run a gauntlet of dudes just to reach the alarm to stop the other dudes.

And yeah, I'm used to some aim assist in games like Bioshock. I'll get used to it, though.

Rsinart

Got through the first few lvls. Game sure is pretty. This feels next gen in terms of the visuals, and I think it sounds good as well. Gameplay is a bit rough. Using the owl is a must. Have some issues with the story but hey for a launch tittle I am impressed and happy. Going to jump into MP tomorrow.

I picked up Killzone 1-3 for the Ps3 and never got to run through them like I wanted to in time for Shadow fall, and just jumped in.

That beginning movie, man the mythology behind these games seems really interesting. Should I stop here and go back and finish them all, or should I just stick with where I am?

Curious if my idea of the backstory being really interesting is true or not.

Also thanks for the pro tip on the alarms. I kept circling around the bunker I was in searching for something to hack, while wave after wave of guys showed up until I died. =(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not quite sure how I feel yet... can I not play with my friends? Anytime we try to play a game together it says "waiting for a slot to become available"... Doesn't seem to be a party system or a matchmaking system. Gonna completely pass on this one if this is the case.

I picked up Killzone 1-3 for the Ps3 and never got to run through them like I wanted to in time for Shadow fall, and just jumped in.

That beginning movie, man the mythology behind these games seems really interesting. Should I stop here and go back and finish them all, or should I just stick with where I am?

Curious if my idea of the backstory being really interesting is true or not.

Also thanks for the pro tip on the alarms. I kept circling around the bunker I was in searching for something to hack, while wave after wave of guys showed up until I died. =(

I always felt that Killzone had a very deep backstory that GG failed horribly at conveying. It's why I've never really bought into the KZ franchise, what I play as far as story is concerned is very underwhelming, while what I read is very compelling. Story seems good, as long as you don't play the games for it and just read about via the Wiki. It's a shame really.

Not quite sure how I feel yet... can I not play with my friends? Anytime we try to play a game together it says "waiting for a slot to become available"... Doesn't seem to be a party system or a matchmaking system. Gonna completely pass on this one if this is the case.

WTF is this true?

I always felt that Killzone had a very deep backstory that GG failed horribly at conveying. It's why I've never really bought into the KZ franchise, what I play as far as story is concerned is very underwhelming, while what I read is very compelling. Story seems good, as long as you don't play the games for it and just read about via the Wiki. It's a shame really.

Definitely. The lore itself is really cool. Too much machismo imo. Should be closer to Star Wars than CoD in tone.

Sickbean

How was the multiplayer for longevity in previous games? I ask cause I'm going to have to delay getting this and a PS4 cause my boiler broke (fuck you Biasi, £1300 down the drain).

Will it still be busy in say February?

MrDenny

How was the multiplayer for longevity in previous games? I ask cause I'm going to have to delay getting this and a PS4 cause my boiler broke (fuck you Biasi, £1300 down the drain).

Think it will be good. Aren't map packs free for this game?

PSN: berserk_ftw

But lucky me will get his PS4 KZ bundle earliest 29th, latest 13th December :(
Hate it, how they still can't say when the official release of the bundle will be.

So worst case scenario, 4 weeks later as the most of you.

ref

Man, I want to play this so bad right now, but gotta head to bed, eyes are killing me right now.

Anyone feel free to add me PSN: Callmeref

Don't have any friends right now -- taking a break from PC gaming, so abandoning them for now!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
WTF is this true?

My friend is contemplating sharing his video of us sitting here for 15 minutes waiting for him to join hahaha. Please tell me I'm missing something. I have 6 friends ready to party up and be on all weekend, and if we can't we might have to buy COD or BF... something to hold us over.

Your guess is as good as mine but I'd think this game is pretty safe clear into next summer. Would be disastrous if it didn't hold up that long at least. I'd say you're good.

My friend is contemplating sharing his video of us sitting here for 15 minutes waiting for him to join hahaha. Please tell me I'm missing something. I have 6 friends ready to party up and be on all weekend, and if we can't we might have to buy COD or BF... something to hold us over.

It is more than likely just network issues.

Is there gonna be a dedicated MP thread? I can see this one being dominated by SP talk for the next 2 weeks, and then all over again when PS4 launches in superior nations :p

Evo X

This is the first game I'll be playing when my PS4 gets here from Amazon later today.

Add me if you want to play together.

ID is DemonFang343

Darien

How's the party system works? Is it like KILLZONE Mercenary where you have to create party at OS level, then only enter MP?

TheExodu5

Banned
Pleasantly surprised by the multiplayer...it feels great. Framerate is great, and the game controls extremely well. Love that there's no autoaim.

nib95

Banned
Right there with you, this game is beating my ass hard. lol

Damn, this is music to my ears! Don't know how long it's been since I played a shooter that was actually hard. Can't wait!

This game is fantastic. Beautiful. And the gameplay with the owl and open levels is great.

Doing that fly-over scene from that original premiere (I think).

Christ is it gorgeous.

I'm only on the 4th mission but I'm having a blast. The AI does NOT fuck around.

I got in a little under a hour and half into the SP of KZ:SF and I don't understand all the bad press, never played a KZ game but I do enjoy this game.

Awesome. Keep em coming!

Campaign so far has been fun and beautiful to look at, nothing amazing gameplay wise though, but it is freaking solid. The openness of the level I played, which was the forest level so far was great and the AI seems really solid, they were able to spot me and flank me and all that good stuff. Story wise it feels a little disjointed, it jumps from scene to scene a little weirdly. The voice acting is pretty good, not the best, but all the other sounds in the game are awesome. Graphically, what can I say, it looks great. Some textures are a little low, but other than that the amount of things going on at once and how great ans smooth it moves is a big step up, that image quality so good.

Played three multiplayer matches and I had so much fun, couldn't put the thing down and only reason I did is because its 5 am and I have an early day tomorrow. The loadouts and stuff were a little confusing at first, but after a match I got used to it. There are so many pathways to take in multiplayer, some from above, below, around, it gets you into pretty epic battles, with glass and debris breaking around you.

All in all I am enjoying this game immensely, multiplayer has me itching to get back to more.

How long does it take to instal the game and is being able to play it while it installs possible?

It takes about 10 second initial install then you can play, there's a progress bar that shows you how far it has to go, once that's full you can start the game and the rest will be downloaded in the background.

KZObsessed

I don't have a PS4 yet but wouldn't the party system be done on an OS level? So the games wont need them. PS4 has party chat and then jump into a game from there?

exYle

Played through the forest mission. I was surprised at how early the mission actually was in the game - I thought it was going to be a bit later. I've seen so many demos of this level that I basically knew exactly how to play it.

Game is gorgeous. Seems to be running at a pretty high frame rate.

There was part of the mission where I found myself ambushed by two snipers and a squad of footsoldiers. They kicked my ass! If it weren't for the adrenaline, I would've died. I definitely felt surrounded, even though there weren't that many of them.

I wish the alt-fire button for your weapons was on a different button. Hitting down on the d-pad to switch to Railgun mode is kinda annoying, especially in the middle of a firefight. On an unrelated note, I wish that you could use a weapon other than your default SMG while zip lining.

Tried out a multiplayer match. At the end of the round, I (on the Helghast side) got to kick the losing team's lead in the nuts. This was very satisfying, to say the least.

ThankeeSai

Could anyone who has played confirm - is the HUD customisable in any way? Can you add bobbing/sway? Can it be turned off, just leaving the map in multiplayer?

Top Bottom