• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Razgreez

The plot of the game makes absolutely no sense. At the end of KZ3, Helghan is utterly decimated. So where is the leverage coming from that would make the Vektans just give up half of their country? On top of that, why would any truce allow Helghast to remain MILITARIZED? And why would any third-party enforced truce not ensure safe passage over the wall?

It's a game so I really don't give a shit but it makes NO SENSE

Palestine/Israel?

Eusis

Wasn't the truce brokered by Earth? Neither side really gave up, they just negotiated a cease fire. Don't think the Helghast was considered the loser and forced into anything, there was no surrender, they just ended hostilities and part of the truce involved the helghast being allowed to live on the planet. Of course it was 30 years ago, perhaps at first it was all nice and colonization, but the industrialized helghans quickly built up arms once again.
Start of the game has them shooting people down. I can understand giving land just as an apology for blowing up their planet essentially, but there couldn't have been enough for an entire half of a planet, and I'd think if they were acting like THAT immediately upon moving in they'd just be exterminated at an extreme, their army completely eviscerated at a minimum (though the fact they even KEPT an army is wtf.)

It almost feels like the story could be really good if the in-game material were better executed and some of this inanity stomped out.

Mononoke

Banned
The graphics in this game are mind blowing. This is coming from someone that is on a high end PC rig. As I said in another thread, I think it's just the fact that I'm getting this kind of graphics on a 55 inch HDTV. Just looks amazing.

Having never played a Killzone game so far, I'm pretty hooked. The third chapter was kind of a chore though. Guess we'll see how the rest of the game plays out. Going to play some multiplayer.

greenfish

Banned
The graphics in this game are mind blowing. This is coming from someone that is on a high end PC rig. As I said in another thread, I think it's just the fact that I'm getting this kind of graphics on a 55 inch HDTV. Just looks amazing.

Having never played a Killzone game so far, I'm pretty hooked. The third chapter was kind of a chore though. Guess we'll see how the rest of the game plays out. Going to play some multiplayer.

What are your pc specs?
and have you played bf3-4, metro, witcher, crysis?

How is the sp part comparoble to bf 4?

Thanks

Showaddy

Start of the game has them shooting people down. I can understand giving land just as an apology for blowing up their planet essentially, but there couldn't have been enough for an entire half of a planet, and I'd think if they were acting like THAT immediately upon moving in they'd just be exterminated at an extreme, their army completely eviscerated at a minimum (though the fact they even KEPT an army is wtf.)

It almost feels like the story could be really good if the in-game material were better executed and some of this inanity stomped out.

I haven't played Shadow Fall yet but this sounds a lot like Killzone 3, Guerilla's in game story telling is just absolute shit. Fair enough that they try to tell a good story in their games but they're just not very good at it.

Vitanimus

I'm so excited to try the MP for this. The Last of Us' MP is the only online MP I've really invested in this past gen so I'm excited to indulge in more online MP. November 29th can't come soon enough. Guess I'll be sticking with the support class whilst I still learn the FPS ropes!

Hope everyone is enjoying the game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The plot of the game makes absolutely no sense. At the end of KZ3, Helghan is utterly decimated. So where is the leverage coming from that would make the Vektans just give up half of their country? On top of that, why would any truce allow Helghast to remain MILITARIZED? And why would any third-party enforced truce not ensure safe passage over the wall?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I haven't played the previous KZ games, so I figured I missed some crucial plot info.

Mononoke

Banned
What are your pc specs?
and have you played bf3-4, metro, witcher, crysis?

How is the sp part comparoble to bf 4?

Thanks

I'm not saying this is better than anything I've seen on PC. Just that it looks incredible on a really massive screen. I have two GTX 680's in SLI and game at 2560x1600p.

And yes, I've played all of those games, of course. I wouldn't say this matches any of those 100%. But again, on a really big ass TV this looks amazing. The single player definitely looks better than the multiplayer IMO. But the 60 FPS makes a big difference (SP is 30FPS). PC is always going to beat out consoles when it comes aliasing and effects.

But let me just say this, IMO these graphics are good enough that I wouldn't feel bad getting a console version over the PC version. Although PC being able to do 60FPS constantly is a big deal.

kyser73

So, a little historical perspective on the rearming/fighting thing.

Post-WW1 Germany was pretty much demilled beyond basic border defence, but within 25 years Hitler had built a huge fighting machine, supported at least 4 medium-scale wars by proxy using German troops & materiel, before annexing territory around Germany - 'The Sudetenland is the last territorial claim we will make in Europe.' was said mere months before the Wehrmacht marched into Poland and WW2 started.

30 years is a long time.

Can't wait to play this game! 2more weeks.

jaaz

These graphics--my God. I'm playing on a 70 inch Vizio TV and I'm in love. Looks to me as good as the graphics on my PC (I play on 1080p). I also like the campaign and story so far--in Chapter 3, I seriously do not get some of these review sites. More reason to ignore reviews. Hope they go the way of the dinosaurs...

nib95

Banned
I just loaded up my KZ about 10 minutes ago. I'm an avid PC gamer and was very skeptical of this game even coming close to BF4, Metro, or Crysis 3. I was wrong. In just the 5 minutes I have played this game.. it is truly a next-gen title rivaling the best of the PC games. I'm very impressed with the visuals. Good job GG!

I was really intrigued by your back and forth with KKRT00 the other day. Really intriguing to hear you say this.

I'm not saying this is better than anything I've seen on PC. Just that it looks incredible on a really massive screen. I have two GTX 680's in SLI and game at 2560x1600p. Trust me, I know what incredible graphics look like.

And yes, I've played all of those game. I wouldn't say this matches any of those. But again, on a really big ass TV this looks amazing.

Agreed. I've got a similar setup and have gotten used to ultra, 60fps, 1440p for everything lately and I am really impressed by everything I've seen in Shadow Fall. On a technical level it cannot compete with something like Crysis 3, but that doesn't matter because on a big tv the image quality, texture quality, lighting, and framerate stability of Shadow Fall makes it look sublime. I feel like I've just hooked my PC up to my tv.

Zen

Banned

Ok, so, if you remember in the original Killzone the Helghast had seized control of the highly advanced orbital platform orbiting Vekta and were going to use it to blow the ISA 'reinforcements from Earth' out of the Sky.

Those reinforcements are the UCN, 'Earth' and the ones that designate and arm ISA's throughout the human empire. The UNC is dramatically more powerful and advanced than the ISA's or the Helghast, but travel still takes time adn communication isn't perfect due to the distance, that's why Vekta had to 'hold on' until UCN reinforcements could get there in KIllzone 1.

The ISA Vektan Cruisers used to invade Helghan? Dated hand me downs from the UCN.

But here's the problem, the UCN didn't authorize ISA Vekta to invade Helghan, they gave them those ships to contain and blockade Helghan while the UCN, not ISA Vekta, decided on further course of action. The Vektans wanted blood for the invasion of their planet and defied UCN orders.

This is probably why Vekta signs a 'non aggression pact' with the Helghast during KIllzone 3 an dordered all remaining ISA forces to surrender, the UCN was in the process dismantling the power structure of the ISA that lead to such a decision. Vekta had planned to swoop in, capture Visari and deal with the situation before the UCN knew or could do anything about it, and they'd get their revenge with the UCN being able to really punish them too much for disobeying orders.

Didn't work out that way. Invasion failed, tons of casualties, Visari dead not captured, or and billion die on Helghan. At that point the UCN probably wasn't in the mood to hear that it was an accidental chain reaction triggered by a rogue squad trying to stop an attack on Earth.

They needed to assert a stronger hand in the region.

- ISA, formerly 'Interplanetary Strategic Alliance - Vekta' is stripped of space fairing rights, now VSA, Vektan Strategic Alliance.

- Helghast survivors relocated to Vekta as Helghan is inhabitable. Large amount of sympathy/guilt from the Vektan populace of what happened and the UCN make this possible. However to prevent social collapse it's set up like east and west germany type of deal.

As for why the Helghast are militarizing, it could just be in contradiction to UCN decree. No idea, and apparently the VSA still have their ships as well, so huh.

jaaz

I'm not saying this is better than anything I've seen on PC. Just that it looks incredible on a really massive screen. I have two GTX 680's in SLI and game at 2560x1600p.

And yes, I've played all of those games, of course. I wouldn't say this matches any of those. But again, on a really big ass TV this looks amazing. The single player definitely looks better than the multiplayer IMO. But the 60 FPS makes a big difference (SP is 30FPS).

I literally read this just after I posted. You are 100% right. It's obviously not better IQ than a PC above 1080p, but playing this on a massive screen at 1080p is a sight to behold. Need to try BF4 next, but seriously do not want to go back to my 28 inch PC screen after playing on 70"...

Ellite25

Three questions:

What are the numbers next everyones name in MP? (I'm guessing some sort of skill ranking)

Is there a way to see Kills and Deaths during or after each match? All I see is score during and only kills afterwards, no deaths. This bugs me because I want to see how well I did.

Lastly, is there no way to adjust loadouts without leaving a war zone?

greenfish

Banned

And yes, I've played all of those games, of course. I wouldn't say this matches any of those 100%. But again, on a really big ass TV this looks amazing. The single player definitely looks better than the multiplayer IMO. But the 60 FPS makes a big difference (SP is 30FPS). PC is always going to beat out consoles when it comes aliasing and effects.

But let me just say this, IMO these graphics are good enough that I wouldn't feel bad getting a console version over the PC version. Although PC being able to do 60FPS constantly is a big deal.

Oh yeah I understand. But with that beast of PC you have, it's clear you have certain standards. And are prone to notice lag, bad graphics etc etc. It's easier if you jump from ps3 - ps4 to accept minor upgrades vs someone from PC gaming.

Thanks for your input, your post have me much more intruged now :)

Enjoy the game!!

j-wood

Im chapter 2 did anyone else notice like white speckles in the light shafts? That normal? They seeemes to disappear as I moved around

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm incredibly bad at this game. I can't get past the first open area in the forest on the first level, haha. I found a comic book, though?

Can't understand the people who say this doesn't look stunning. I game on the PC, played Crysis 3/BF4/Last Light, etc at max and this is still incredible. Great textures, lighting, smoke effects, and so on. Can't imagine what we'll be seeing in a few years.

Mononoke

Banned
I literally read this just after I posted. You are 100% right. It's obviously not better IQ than a PC above 1080p, but playing this on a massive screen at 1080p is a sight to behold. Need to try BF4 next, but seriously do not want to go back to my 28 inch PC screen after playing on 70"...

I mean, I consider myself a graphics whore. And I'm impressed with these graphics for sure. I think by now, we just have to accept consoles will never reach parity with PC. And that's fine. But these graphics look so damn good on a big screen tv, that it makes the experience IMO comparable just in terms of being able to kick back and see this play out on a really big screen.

IMO, they f'ed up the story so bad in Killzone 2 AND 3, they just don't seem to have thought ahead.

They just blew the load in KZ2, and just wrote themselves into a corner with both KZ2 and KZ3.

Killing off the characters in KZ2 was a bad move IMO. Especially if they wanted to make more sequels. The game's best characters were in KZ2. KZ3 was awful throughout, but to just end the game the way they did was stupid. Just lends credit to the fact that they were all about big action hollywood sequences.

Whoever created the whole pre-KZ2 arch was amazing. But it just seemed like lore to have on the website. I don't think they ever made the games with the future in mind.

I don't even know if they can properly follow up to the teaser of KZ3's end, since presumably, KZSF's world doesn't seem to have been affected by what happened (unless I'm mistaken)

There was so much greatness in KZ2, but it was so self contained and made me wonder "What next?"And they couldn't follow through from that.

Personally, I wish I could go back to play as Radec, if anybody. Those characters were just fucking cool, and nothing topped them :( The story from the HGH side that we all want told would be great if they went back to when the real moral grays started.

But at this point, if the story doesn't deliver in SF, I don't care anymore. I'll take a new IP, even though I intend to enjoy SF's MP.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up getting past the first open forest area by just running. Felt cheap, but it worked.

mr stroke

This game is average at best, and the worst Killzone next to Killzone PS1. While the graphics are about the best Ive seen and simply mind blowing(though not better than BF4 maxed on PC) everything is just boring-Lame story, bad AI, poor linear level design, terrible voice acting, and over all just plain boring.

I think in 5 years this will be looked at as the "Perfect Dark Zero of the launch games"- Beautiful for its time with zero substance.

Ricker

Fuck this game...if you go back to the main menu after a checkpoint it doesnt even load that checkpoint,you start at the start of the level,jesus christ,I am done, this game is going back tomorrow.

This game is average at best, and the worst Killzone next to Killzone PS1. While the graphics are about the best Ive seen and simply mind blowing(though not better than BF4 maxed on PC) everything is just boring-Lame story, bad AI, poor linear level design, terrible voice acting, and over all just plain boring.

I think in 5 years this will looked at as the "Perfect Dark Zero of the launch games"- Beautiful for its time with zero substance.

I really disagree...so far it's my favorite killzone campaign. I don't think it will be looked at as PDZ at all the mp is way better and honestly the biggest draw to the game anyways

_Isaac

What's the population like for MP? Can you see a concurrent number?

I am seeing very empty rooms in the streams

I don't know about a concurrent number, but I've consistently been able to join Classic Warzone and get around 16 maybe. I didn't really check though.

Gurish

Wow really encouraging hearing all those high end PC users raving about this game's graphics!

I would never though it could still impress PC gamers after games such as CRYSIS 3 and BF4,really encouraging regarding next gen and PS4 :)

Loving the game so far and think that the visuals are very good. But I was a little disappointed when I first got into that forest level and it had a bit of a blurry look to it like it was using FXAA heavily or something. There are portions, where it looks cleaner and at those times it is just amazing looking.

Overall, very happy with the game!

The game is using FXAA. FXAA is a shader and can be adjusted, means some games using FXAA could be less blurry than other games with FXAA. And the same can even happen on a level to level base whitin a single game, just like Killzone. Some levels they are using the FXAA shader heavily and in other more lightly.

In the end FXAA is just a shitty post process solution which is not very good looking.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn you PC master-race people. Hearing all you people talking about how the game looks so good compared to all your PC games is making me really want this game. DAMN YOU GUYS!

Gurish

Damn you PC master-race people. Hearing all you people talking about how the game looks so good compared to all your PC games is making me really want this game. DAMN YOU GUYS!

Yea I'm shocked as you by this!
On the other hand it seems like most of them doesn't like the campaign so much so maybe you should lower your expectations in that regard...

Okay. I am officially giddy.

I feel like this could be the KZ2 fix I've been waiting for. MP looks so damn superb.

Fuck this game...if you go back to the main menu after a checkpoint it doesnt even load that checkpoint,you start at the start of the level,jesus christ,I am done, this game is going back tomorrow.

Man, just get into MP. Not to tell you how to play your games or anything, but KZ for SP = you're doing it wrong.

IcyEyes

Single player : I love it. Killzone deliver what I want from this game and no, I don't want to play Gone Home here ! (ps Gone Home is awesome).

Multiplayer : Ok, I'm in. It's awesome right now.

Sony make me an happy panda with a new console and Killzone at launch.

(i'm going to back to play the multy)

Ricky_R

Ok, I've only played a small portion of the game, but I had to come here and say that this game is the real deal when it comes to visuals.

The IQ is so damn clean and everything looks great. I remember being a bit underwhelmed on my first impression of KZ2 when it came out (later on I tamed my expectations and it ended up looking marvelous though), but Shadow Fall really looked amazing at first sight.

Also, the characters clothe's fabrics are so damn detailed, it's ridiculous. I'm not used to this kind of detail on consoles. I'm excited.

Will give some gameplay impressions when I get enough playtime.

Top Bottom