• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm stuck at the beginning:

Where you're on a ledge high above two enemies, and the game tells you to attack them with your drone. I send the drone down to attack, it flies down and then gets blown up. I tried doing it like 10 times now, and every time the two soldiers kill it. I must be missing something?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I'm stuck at the beginning:

Where you're on a ledge high above two enemies, and the game tells you to attack them with your drone. I send the drone down to attack, it flies down and then gets blown up. I tried doing it like 10 times now, and every time the two soldiers kill it. I must be missing something?
Just wait for the drone to respawn and send it again.

So general consensus is Polygon dun lied and the game is good or better than good?
I'd say it's okay so far. Not great.

So general consensus is Polygon dun lied and the game is good or better than good?

SO whats the general gaf opinion on the game?

This is easily the best Killzone game and one of the best launch titles the Playstation consoles have ever had. Single player is a welcome change of pace for the franchise. Story still doesn't live up to the series potential, but I certainly find it to be an improvement from the previous killzone games.

It's being way underrated and glossed over by reviewers. User score on metacritic should better reflect the game's quality.

Don't bother reading Polygon ever again.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just wait for the drone to respawn and send it again.

Really? I've sent it down there about 12 times so far... it doesn't even seem to be shooting the guys, it just hovers in front of them and they kill it. And I'm positive it's in attack mode (top of the ability cross).

Hari Seldon

Game seems pretty cool so far, at least in the beginning it is nice and non-linear. However the autosaving sucks fucking ass. I lost like 15 minutes of progress after getting to what I thought was a check point and then exiting out. Wtf is this shit.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Still have to wait for the 29th before I can get my hands on this baby :(.

Oh and quite possibly the best OT I've seen, good job.

Timu

Loving the character models(screens I took with my Roxio).

9f65c886_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1519-05-46-101.png

59c3f4f4_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1519-17-08-830.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I've sent it down there about 12 times so far... it doesn't even seem to be shooting the guys, it just hovers in front of them and they kill it. And I'm positive it's in attack mode (top of the ability cross).
Hmm, I dunno, it worked for me. Try putting your cross hairs on the enemies when you send the drone to attack. I think that might make it specifically target them? Either way, it should be getting the job done.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Campaign's okay so far, about what I expected. Better than Killzone 3, not as good as 2, I feel. Haven't played multi yet.

I don't regret buying it, for those on the fence.

Ricker

If I save in the middle of a mission, will I be able to restart at the last checkpoint?

Nope,the checkpoint reloads if you die and all but as soon as you go back to the main menu,you have to start from scratch...I can't beat the forest level yet and after doing that first part and reaching a checkpoint,I thought I would be ok but no,closed the PS4 came back later and you have to redo parts before the checkpoint.

_Isaac

So I just finished up the forest area right before The Doctor. So far, I am really enjoying the single player campaign. I just like the more open design and so far it has been pleasantly challenging and I am playing on normal. I also played some multiplayer and it's fun but I think it's going to take some getting used to. Right now I'm no good at all. I found it a little difficult to look at the challenges required to level up certain skills and classes. They don't seem to be accessible when you're playing a war zone. I'll definitely keep at it though.

TEH-CJ

Banned
This is easily the best Killzone game and one of the best launch titles the Playstation consoles have ever had. Single player is a welcome change of pace for the franchise. Story still doesn't live up to the series potential, but I certainly find it to be an improvement from the previous killzone games.

It's being way underrated and glossed over by reviewers. User score on metacritic should better reflect the game's quality.

Don't bother reading Polygon ever again.

Awesome! thats so good to hear.

would you say the campaign is almost as good as any of the Halo's? or is that pushing it and I should taper my expectations? lol

Awesome! thats so good to hear.

would you say the campaign is almost as good as any of the Halo's? or is that pushing it and I should taper my expectations? lol

Depends on what you're going for.

The Halo single player games are always fun, but none of them really had the magic that the original Halo CE had for me. I mostly played Halo for MP after Halo 1, and the campaigns were always something I'd play through but they werent the reason I picked up the games. Killzone is similar to that.

So, if you're expecting another "Halo 1 OMG MIND BLOWN" sort of revolutionary experience, well this isn't it.

But with that being said, it's an extremely slick shooter with great mechanics (not just gunplay, but also tactical elements), very impressive art direction and sound (the music is SOOOOO good, reminds me of blade runner).

So, if I were to compare it to recent Halo single player games like Reach, it's not quite as open and doesnt have co-op, but I'm having just as much fun, if not more. It's not just the next-gen shine here talking either.

TEH-CJ

Banned

The Halo single player games are always fun, but none of them really had the magic that the original Halo CE had for me. I mostly played Halo for MP after Halo 1, and the campaigns were always something I'd play through but they werent the reason I picked up the games. Killzone is similar to that.

So, if you're expecting another "Halo 1 OMG MIND BLOWN" sort of revolutionary experience, well this isn't it.

But with that being said, it's an extremely slick shooter with great mechanics (not just gunplay, but also tactical elements), very impressive art direction and sound (the music is SOOOOO good, reminds me of blade runner).

So, if I were to compare it to recent Halo single player games like Reach, it's not quite as open and doesnt have co-op, but I'm having just as much fun, if not more. It's not just the next-gen shine here talking either.

Sounds good enough to me!

thanks heaps for your impressions! hyped as hell.

EagleEyes

I think what separates the Halo's from something like this is the vehicle sections. I'm enjoying this Killzone but it would have benefited greatly if it had some sandbox areas with vehicles to break up the pace a bit. Co-op would have helped too.

It's pretty good, though not amazing. The graphics are mind blowing. And yes, the 5 is a lie. Not opinion, actual lying. I don't believe that bullshit for a second, it's too well made for anybody to seriously think it's that bad.

bob page

God damn, I was expecting the graphics to be good, but wow. I'm just floored.

And the Polygon is such BS. I just put in over 2 hours to the campaign and it's pretty good so far. 5/10 is insulting.

guek

Banned
I know nothing about killzone but I got a PS4 and I got me some questions.

Does this game have offline co-op?
Is there a horde/wave mode?
Is this game worth it for multiplayer alone?

Ricky_R

I just can't stress enough how good this game looks. I honestly didn't know it was going to look this good on my 55 inch TV.

This shit is for real.

No
Yes, available with the season pass (19.99) co-op will be released in the future, no date set yet
Yes

Doran902

I adore this game so far and I have never enjoyed a killzone campaign before.

6 missions in. Unless it shits the bed soon then I don't understand the complaints, especially for a launch game. So damn pretty and such fun gunplay.

Razgreez

From what I'm reading it appears most assumed the OWL would be a hack which made the game too easy whereas in reality it seems mastery of the OWL commands and being acutely aware of the surroundings is entirely necessary to progress smoothly

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

I'm gonna livestream multi once I join a game

USC-fan

Banned
this game is worth just for showing off the system. gives me great hope for future games with a launch game looking so good.

only about 2 hours into sp and liking so far.

george_us

I honestly feel like the complaints about the game being boring basically boil down to the game not having enough explosions are scripted set pieces. Personally I'm loving the slower pace and the more open environments so far. I'm only up to the forest level (which is super early) but I really like this game.

I got a question guys. Why cant I chat with people over in MP? I cant hear no one! Am I doing something wrong?

Also add me so we can play

PSN id: SixStringPsycho

BadAss2961

Pretty big fan of Killzone. Completely blindsided by the way Shadow Fall plays. Even after seeing footage for months, I still didn't see it being this different. I'm only at chapter 3, but so far this is a completely different SP than the rest of the series. It's simply not a linear setpiece shooter. This could've, and maybe should've been a new IP.

I struggled a bit early on in chapter 2 because I didn't know how the game wanted me to play it. But things got better once I kicked into old school mode (modern games usually want you to play a specific way) and just started doing what I felt like doing while using the tools available to me -- the owl is pretty damn cool.

Graphics are beautiful. And lol at "Dark Trolls."

Played a few chapters of the singleplayer, and it's not really grabbing me yet. But the multiplayer has been really enjoyable. It has just the right amount of weight that I like in the series, guns sounds pretty powerful, maps are solid, and the focus on challenges is cool.

The multiplayer is definitely giving me more of a KZ2 vibe, I think it's the return of the spawn beacons.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's a good vibe.

Top Bottom