• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Megasoum

Banned
15min in and I'm already lost... I've been spamming the Up on D-Pad but I don't see the pointer anywhere.

I need to

Fin the crew in the "Find the intel and rescuse the crew"

GloveSlap

This is my first Killzone. I played the first 3 or 4 missions and I enjoyed it. The gunplay and owl tactics are quite good.

The graphics are really impressive for a launch title, but there is definitely room for the next Gears of War/Uncharted to come along and blow the doors off of it.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I had a funny moment and wanted to upload the clip but it wasn't working and now im sad :(

My only complaint so far, that fucking
train
bit. I kept getting hit by them lol.

I also don't like how you can't trade out your main weapon, only your pistol. The default laser rifle thing isn't as fun as the other weapons IMO.

Game is great, story could be cool but its dampened down by the really poor dialogue. The music is amazingly killer. Framerate is also rocking, I thought I would hate that it was variable but it doesn't bother me at all.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
15min in and I'm already lost... I've been spamming the Up on D-Pad but I don't see the pointer anywhere.

I need to

Fin the crew in the "Find the intel and rescuse the crew"

This took me a while to figure out, but the pointer only comes up if your standing still, and I think the particular objective you are talking about is purposefully hidden and that you just have to find them. There some youtube vids you can watch that show where to go.

I'm still pretty early, but I'm very much enjoying the singleplayer campaign so far. I really like the deliberate pacing of the 3rd(?) chapter in
the space lab
I don't understand the complaints about the
low gravity
sections either. The whole level looks amazing as well especially when you call out the OWL with all those light beams. Gunplay is punchy and encounters in that level were well paced.

My only issue so far is that the AI's dumber than they used to be. You can still get killed if you run around without tactics, but it doesn't feel like they're as good at moving around, and acting like a squad anymore.

Haven't been online yet because I couldn't access my PSN account due to server overload, but I'll try again later.

Megasoum

Banned
This took me a while to figure out, but the pointer only comes up if your standing still, and I think the particular objective you are talking about is purposefully hidden and that you just have to find them. There some youtube vids you can watch that show where to go.

That's terrible game design.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
AcMrZlm.jpg

Awesome Dark Souls reference

Man, had my first bout of multiplayer, i am complete crap at Killzone apparently. Had fun though, enjoyed the changing objectives in Warzone.

Perhaps a few bot matches for a bit of practice.

Dibbz

Quick question for US PS4 GAF. How much is Killzone Shadow Fall on PSN and how much does it retail in a store for?

I'm planning on downloading it off the store at launch here in Europe in 2 weeks but if the price difference is large I might just buy the disc version.

No Love

Banned
Working my way through singleplayer. This game is really fun, gunplay is great, controls are very tight. Time for some multiplayer!

Agreed. I've got a similar setup and have gotten used to ultra, 60fps, 1440p for everything lately and I am really impressed by everything I've seen in Shadow Fall. On a technical level it cannot compete with something like Crysis 3, but that doesn't matter because on a big tv the image quality, texture quality, lighting, and framerate stability of Shadow Fall makes it look sublime. I feel like I've just hooked my PC up to my tv.

I beg to differ. It's got more to show in the latest and greatest features than Crysis 3. Crysis 3 was designed around current gen consoles with tacked on high res textures and some POM for the PC. Not nearly enough features that the engine COULD throw at the PC. This game has Crysis 3 beat in both features and art. I'm still trying to determine which of the PC games actually trounce this game in graphics, and I can't think of any to be honest..

There were several videos showing a character actually pull out a knife in MP. How come I can't see that as an option in the menus or under any classes? Am I missing something?

Quick question for US PS4 GAF. How much is Killzone Shadow Fall on PSN and how much does it retail in a store for?

I'm planning on downloading it off the store at launch here in Europe in 2 weeks but if the price difference is large I might just buy the disc version.

$59.99 on the PSN Store, largely the same in retail stores. But retail stores might have sales before the PSN Store does.

Edit-
There were several videos showing a character actually pull out a knife in MP. How come I can't see that as an option in the menus or under any classes? Am I missing something?

The Scout Class can turn on invisibility and can only hold a knife when that ability is active. I don't have my PS4 yet and can't confirm yet, but not sure if any class can pull out the knife at any time.

Liking the game so far.

One question though. I got the Shadow Pack pre-order bonus, which was supposed to include the official soundtrack. I applied the code into PSN and got my OWL designs and the multiplayer move, but no sound track. Any where special I need to go to get it?

MDSLKTR

Again the sound is so gooood, the music and atmosphere in the zero gravity mission was top notch, made me want an alien vs predator game with that engine

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Man, this is the best looking game I've ever played. I think I'd be happy with these visuals for a couple of years at least.

Have yet to try any multiplayer but the single player is about as satisfying as I expected. DS4 is performing as well as advertised.

gatti-man

Can't understand the people who say this doesn't look stunning. I game on the PC, played Crysis 3/BF4/Last Light, etc at max and this is still incredible. Great textures, lighting, smoke effects, and so on. Can't imagine what we'll be seeing in a few years.
You are right. Anyone that says this game doesn't look right doesn't make sense to me. I game at 2560 on PC and this is right there among all my PC games. The game just has a lot going on and effects are everywhere. It's overwhelming at times especially in mp.

No Love

Banned
You are right. Anyone that says this game doesn't look right doesn't make sense to me. I game at 2560 on PC and this is right there among all my PC games. The game just has a lot going on and effects are everywhere. It's overwhelming at times especially in mp.

This, so much. I have been playing tons of games at 2160p lately, and it's funny how well Killzone compares to Crysis 3/others at those resolutions. Killzone looks just as good.

And after really sitting down and playing it, all I can think is that the reviews are wrong. Not only is it a visual tour de force, but it's just so much damn fun to play. Once again, reviewers are full of shit. This is one of PS4's killer apps. Actually, I'd go so far as to say it's THE killer app. If people don't pick this up with their PS4, they are missing out big time.

nib95

Banned
I beg to differ. It's got more to show in the latest and greatest features than Crysis 3. Crysis 3 was designed around current gen consoles with tacked on high res textures and some POM for the PC. Not nearly enough features that the engine COULD throw at the PC. This game has Crysis 3 beat in both features and art. I'm still trying to determine which of the PC games actually trounce this game in graphics, and I can't think of any to be honest..

Holy crap dude. That's some tall praise on the visuals/tech.

zewone

Same price.

Foxyone

That "Crysis 3 vs Killzone" thread will probably pop up at some point, although people are probably occupied with their new console for now.

Tik-Tok

Anyone else having lip sync issues from the characters? The voice audio isn't matching with their lips well.

I am, as are other people in the PS4 problems thread. I believe this isn't exclusive to Killzone at this point. When playing other games I've noticed desync'd audio too.
Sometimes when playing Resogun the sound coming from the speakers doesn't coincide with the sound coming from the ds4

nOoblet16

From what I've seen this game uses area lights and SSR everywhere, much more than Crysis 3....I love me some SSR !
Lack of it was what made BF4 so jarring to see because DICE seems to rely a lot on specular for giving the game a flashy/shiny look which is all fine but then you notice those baked cubemaps.

I have no doubt that as far as tech feature set is concerned this game checks more points than any other game out there followed by Last Light most probably.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
And after really sitting down and playing it, all I can think is that the reviews are wrong. Not only is it a visual tour de force, but it's just so much damn fun to play. Once again, reviewers are full of shit. This is one of PS4's killer apps. Actually, I'd go so far as to say it's THE killer app. If people don't pick this up with their PS4, they are missing out big time.

It is really fun. This game having a lower metacritic score than Killzone 3 is the travesty of all travesties.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So many of the guns have big, bright muzzle flashes. It really destroys visual clarity in the middle of firefights. Not a fan.

Holy balls is this frustrating. On normal, in the forest area from all the videos. I take two steps, get spotted, endless stream of enemies from all sides, can't hack the alarm as enemies immediately start shooting the owl thing.

It's so damn hard to even see anything in this area.

Mononoke

Banned
Holy balls is this frustrating. On normal, in the forest area from all the videos. I take two steps, get spotted, endless stream of enemies from all sides, can't hack the alarm as enemies immediately start shooting the owl thing.

Well, taking it slow and using the scan function is key here. And once you set the alarm off, you have to hack the alarm and stop it. But in a worst case scenario just sprint to some area and use your robot to attack the people coming at you. Also always scan even when ur doing this.

I have to admit, the use of the touchpad in this game is great and it just feels natural. I just hope post launch games don't ignore it and the speaker on the controller.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
On a more positive note: the Keyser is a really fun gun.

The same thing was happening to me. I got through it, but don't really have any good advice to give. Just be slow and methodical and be ready to fight off several waves while making your way to the alarms.

potam

Banned

Jesus, I know. I'm really hoping that the rest of the game is a little more linear. I understand what some of the reviewers were saying now. I felt like a lost little bear cub strolling through the forest and getting shot :(

Odrion

Banned
The singleplayer is pretty nice, a lot of cool ideas, I don't know if they add up to anything spectacular though. The bad AI issues suck. :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
what the hell is a petrusite capacitor

edit :
audio log
spoken through the controller :-0

This may seem like a rant, but I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'm just paying more attention to the game than reviewers did.

Having played up to the "escape" mission - I'm not really sure what reviewers are complaining about with the SP. It's well acted, the levels give you a variety of options, and even on Easy the A.I. provides some challenge. No, it is not CoD and doesn't hold your hand and make you run down one long corridor...and that's a good thing.

Unless the plot goes completely off the rails by the end, it so far has the best plot of all the KZ games, IMO. It's not hard to follow at all, and actually makes sense. The tension between the Helghast and the Vektans is real, owing to the mutual hatred that neither side can seem to get past. Both sides are convinced a war is coming, and your character and others are caught in the middle. Sinclair, the man giving you your orders, seems to have a personal hatred for the Helghast which drives him. So too does Lucas, your character - for obvious reasons. Their motivations make sense. Neither side is in the right here, and that's quite refreshing. This is the first KZ game, IMO, to show that. Even knowing the backstory of the conflict, the player never sees this in the other games.

Is the story epic in scope? No. And it doesn't need to be. Not every FPS needs to have large scale battles to portray conflict. The story is serviceable, and the characters are at least more than the terrible caricatures we've had for the past few games.

I can't wait to try out the MP, but my rule is: finish SP, then do MP.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If I save in the middle of a mission, will I be able to restart at the last checkpoint?

Top Bottom