• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Gorillaz

It's simply not a linear setpiece shooter. This could've, and maybe should've been a new IP.
I partly felt the reason it was given a subtitle was to rebrand itself. I'm half expexting them to roll on with Shadow Fall as the "main title" in the sequel. ...if there is one.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Multiplayer has been a ton of fun, just need to learn the maps. They need to explain the party system more thoroughly, because last night it was tough for us to figure out... also how do you setup a clan tag?

taoofjord

Singleplayer is seriously gorgeous but multiplayer is a definite downgrade. Anyone know if MP is running at 1080p? Either it's not or the AA is turned off because it's not as clean as SP.

I can't be the only one constantly hitting the touchpad can I?

Also the fps in sp drops below 30 way more often than I was led to believe.

Typomancer

Neo Member
I’m just gonna say that the bad reviews were extremely wrong about this game. I love it so far. Great art direction, futuristic visuals are arousing my eyes like nobody’s business, and I actually am enjoying the use of a controller for an FPS game for the first time since Perfect Dark 64.

Immediately I’m thinking that the reviewers who are biased against the Killzone franchise and reviewed this anyways (looking at you, Gies) tried to rush through the game without using any of the tools that set this game apart from the typical COD clone. You need to use the OWL, you need to use the tactical echo… if you treat the game like a typical shooting gallery, you’re going to have a bad time.

I am really, really impressed with this game, and it’s just one of the first, and I’m saying this as a regular PC gamer. I cannot wait to see what is coming a year or more down the line for the PS4.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
just played this and resogun for about 4 hours straight.

for those wondering the graphics. the screenshots are pretty much representative. its also a lot smoother than i thought it would be. not nearly as "clunky" as killzones for ps3. it feels like it is almost at 60 fps but not quite. the weapon models are incredible.

I find myself exploring a lot more,since the game doesnt really tell you much on how to play it. Which is a good thing. I'm also dying a lot on Hard.

Wow, kicked off SP and the game looks amazing. Razor sharp and super clean. And the frame rate! So good, one of my only real pet peeves against the series is fixed! At the very least, it looks as impressive as BF4 on my pc (gtx670 no slouch.) Also, chapter 3, GG are so good at mood and atmosphere. I hope there's a chapter of KZ2 classic oppressive gray at some point. If not, 5/10 justified ;P.

Ping + OWL seem completely necessary on hard. Flash and shield required, attack is almost worthless except to intercept the one flanking guy for laughs.

No aim assist is a really subtle change, but I definitely noticed it when trying to track while strafing. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the gunplay now, I think I miss the classic KZ crouched bursts from the hip to win. At least let me have crouch on right stick instead of circle boo.

Zen

Banned
I don't even know if they can properly follow up to the teaser of KZ3's end, since presumably, KZSF's world doesn't seem to have been affected by what happened (unless I'm mistaken)

Based on released footage I wouldn't be so sure. The Hig cruisers seen on what looks like helghast are ever so different from those seen around Vekta.

Man, just get into MP. Not to tell you how to play your games or anything, but KZ for SP = you're doing it wrong.

Not even. Killzone 2 MP had a lot of problems both on the technical (input lag, server lag) and design side (how re-spawn grenades worked) and Killzone 3 was a complete farce in MP. Killzone 1 had bad MP too, in fact the only titles in the franchise with good MP have been 2 (sort of), Liberation, and Mercenaries (kind of). All around good MP would practically be a series first.

KZ3 MP was such a missed opportunity. Everything almost exactly as KZ2 but with the improve response times and fixed server side latency would have been amazing.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Okay just did the
helghan flying part where all the buildings are crumbling
, died at least 10 times. That was really frustrating.

Just started chapter 4. Holy crap, this game is awesomesauce. Other than some minor popin on the forest level, everything looks amazing. I really shoulda played kz2 or 3 because I am rusty as hell.

Not sure if Im going to finish SP before trying MP or not. I usually do, and as crappy as I am right now, I probably should.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels the game is pretty tough - and I'm playing on easy. I'm an FPS novice, though. Not too deep into the game, just two chapters, but I like the mixing up of action and choice of approach - especially the OWL actions. A friend came over to check it out today and took some different approaches to encounters, different routes to objectives and chose the two main objectives (comm tower and AA guns) in the reverse order from me. I thought that was pretty nifty.

hort

Neo Member
So how are new warzones added/made? Is it just those preset 8 atm and more will be swapped in and out?

I want 24 player matches plsss

_Isaac

I like how almost all of the Shadow Fall videos leading up to release always had people fearing that it was going to be so easy and now we have a whole lot of posts of people saying how challenging it is.

ultron87

The premise of this game is so ridiculous that is it is kind of ruining the whole thing preemptively.

"Oops, sorry about your planet, mortal enemy. Here's half of ours." Half!

btkadams

i've only just beat the forest level, but damn i'm really enjoying it. the open parts are great. i know that reviews complained about it becoming more like a corridor in later levels, but i'm almost looking forward to that. i am loving this, but i also really enjoyed the set piece stuff in killzone 3. it would be cool to have a bit of both.

oh, and yes, the game is tough! i am playing on easy and i died several times in the forest level lol.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like how almost all of the Shadow Fall videos leading up to release always had people fearing that it was going to be so easy and now we have a whole lot of posts of people saying how challenging it is.

Yeah, I called that happening. Folks thought OWL and wall hacks were going to make it Easy mode all the way through when those two things are actually essential for survival.

The premise of this game is so ridiculous that is it is kind of ruining the whole thing preemptively.

"Oops, sorry about your planet, mortal enemy. Here's half of ours." Half!
The story is about as deep and as the flimsy scenarios used in classic arcade and 8-bit games. Just awful.

BarneyBP

I'm really having trouble with the HUD and font size. I haven't found anything - but are there any options for this? I'm finding the game difficult to play and I don't want to keep getting off the couch to stroll across the room and read the objectives. I'll admit my eye sights not great, but I've never had this problem with a game before.

Just played about 3 hours of multiplayer. This is a really great game. Excellent level design and graphically it is the best looking game I have ever seen by far. Even better than FIshing in Baku level of BF4 I played today. If you have a PS4 this game is a MUST for the MP. I havent tried single player. Oh that next gen feeling.

satam55

Banned
Singleplayer is seriously gorgeous but multiplayer is a definite downgrade. Anyone know if MP is running at 1080p? Either it's not or the AA is turned off because it's not as clean as SP.

Yes, the MP is in native 1080p. But the MP is 60fps, while SP is 30fps. So the MP isn't as graphically intense as the SP.

Strider

I keep getting an error when trying to connect to multiplayer...saying "error code 12014 E_AC_PATCH_DOWNOAD"

Anyone get this?

Yes. Here's what I did and it got the game working no problem.

When you started killzone it needed to update and it should have done so automatically (mine did). Go to your notifications - downloads section and when the update is complete exit Killzone and start it again. I think the game just needs to be restarted to recognize the update is all.

ultron87

Yes because compassion and mercy are ridiculous.
Half the planet! And with apparently complete autonomy. It's an absolutely insane thing for a nation to do for an enemy who was about to launch a WMD fleet against their planet and oops, they just happened to blow up their own planet instead.

Sure, giving them a place to live makes sense from a mercy perspective. But this is insanity. At least forcibly apply some Vectan authority to other side. They didn't even give their own citizens adequate time to leave before letting the space Nazis move in!

They obviously wanted to tell this whole Cold War era Berlin story, but they got to it in the most clumsy way possible. Yeesh.

Zen

Banned
Half the planet! And with apparently complete autonomy. It's an absolutely insane thing for a nation to do for an enemy who was about to launch a WMD fleet against their planet and oops, they just happened to blow up their own planet instead.

Sure, giving them a place to live makes sense from a mercy perspective. But this is insanity. At least forcibly apply some Vectan authority to other side. They didn't even give their own citizens adequate time to leave before letting the space Nazis move in!

They obviously wanted to tell this whole Cold War era Berlin story, but they got to it in the most clumsy way possible. Yeesh.

Hm, fair enough. It sounds like they really should have gone into more detail with the UNC and process of it all.

Watching the MP stream, and now with more players, it looks amazing!

Saw a guy do an AERIAL BRUTAL MELEE like in SP! Didn't think you could do that! Looks very fun.

Azull

OK, you know I love killzone. Always have. But whose bright fucking idea was it to have no squad system in a god damn multiplayer fps game with a maximum amount of 24 people in one game at a time. This is actually the most infuriating thing I have had to deal with because either myself or 4 of my other friends are just sitting and waiting for someone to leave on the same team. Put me on the side god dammit! I don't care, just put me in the freaking game!

The little things are definitely bringing this game down for me hard.

Top Bottom