• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Zugma

Been playing the MP for the last few hours, and it has been a blast. Hadn't played a Killzone online before, so I'm not sure if this entry is vastly different from the earlier titles, but I regret having not tried it before now. It feels COD-ish, but with more weight, and the guns are much more difficult to aim (probably due to the lack of autoaim).

Haven't sunk much time into an online shooter since MW2, but this feels like it has the potential to pull me in for awhile.

Cess007

I was kinda surprised that the game was that hard on.. well, hard. I wasn't expecing that (and i was totally disappointed Elite was cut); but damn, the forest part it's a real challenge to pass without dying once at least.

MilkBeard

I always choose hard difficulty but damn, this game is really busting my balls.

Yeah, forest level was pretty challenging even on normal. It's good though. The checkpoint system makes it less frustrating to start over. Then you can just approach with a new tactic. I died a lot but I started to get the flow of things and how the tech can really help you advance. The owl is actually very helpful in this game. It's not just an extra thing shoehorned in just for the hell of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow this game is good. My expectations had dropped after the reviews but it's damn solid. Obviously the visuals and atmosphere are top notch but I love the slower paced approach. It really lets you take things in. I actually can totally understand why people find it boring but the game feels kind of old school, which I like.

Does this game do anything interesting with the PS app? Campaign wise, at least?

Just finished first three missions and am really disappointed. Strange level design that requires constant search for climb points and zip line points, death from not-too-high-drops, no tension, and limited use of the OWL, i.e. you can't even use it to zip line anywhere you want in a giant forest. AI isn't great, but their guns are strong so if you are spotted you do get a bit pummeled.

Went into multiplayer and all of the sudden the movement speed went sluggish - more in tune with prior Killzone titles. Played search and destroy, team deathmatch, wasn't that fun to me even with the 60 frames boost.

So just how "open" are the open ended levels? Are we talking Far Cry 3 kind of open, or just a huge but sectioned off area? And how much of the game is open ended and how much is the traditional corridor level?

I saw the Shadow Marshall video and it looked very nice and huge open world; but I also played a hostage rescue mission demo at a PS4 event and it was very linear.

Still undecided on this game, getting BF4 and AC4 on PS4 for sure, but never really enjoyed Killzone much, but I love open world shooter. Hope to hear some thoughts on this from you guys. Thanks.

SeanR1221

Just finished first three missions and am really disappointed. Strange level design that requires constant search for climb points and zip line points, death from not-too-high-drops, no tension, and limited use of the OWL, i.e. you can't even use it to zip line anywhere you want in a giant forest. AI isn't great, but their guns are strong so if you are spotted you do get a bit pummeled.

Went into multiplayer and all of the sudden the movement speed went sluggish - more in tune with prior Killzone titles. Played search and destroy, team deathmatch, wasn't that fun to me even with the 60 frames boost.

I have to say my opinion sort of aligns with yours. I hope it grows on me.

I'm more concerned about multiplayer. My friend and I will main BF4 as our multi game but would like a secondary shooter. I have a feeling he'll hate this and would rather go with the comfortable CoD. I just found multiplayer and it's menus confusing.

viveks86

Wow this game is good. My expectations had dropped after the reviews but it's damn solid. Obviously the visuals and atmosphere are top notch but I love the slower paced approach. It really lets you take things in. I actually can totally understand why people find it boring but the game feels kind of old school, which I like.

Seems to be the issue that both knack and killzone seem to suffer from. Fortunately, it seems like many of us don't see it as an issue at all! To hell with rushed reviews at launch. :D

I wish we could put all our heads together and do Gaf's own dedicated review threads for every game. The official review threads get far too crowded with arbitrary numbers from the press and people arguing over it.

Ricker

Finally got through that Forest level,man,at least chapter 3 was a little easier...got to the part that they showed at E3 and all now...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Good news for those who are losing themselves in the campaign: there are walkthroughs on YouTube already.

Azull

So just how "open" are the open ended levels? Are we talking Far Cry 3 kind of open, or just a huge but sectioned off area? And how much of the game is open ended and how much is the traditional corridor level?

I saw the Shadow Marshall video and it looked very nice and huge open world; but I also played a hostage rescue mission demo at a PS4 event and it was very linear.

Still undecided on this game, getting BF4 and AC4 on PS4 for sure, but never really enjoyed Killzone much, but I love open world shooter. Hope to hear some thoughts on this from you guys. Thanks.

Nah, not even in the same ballpark of Far Cry 3. If you haven't enjoyed killzone before, this game definitely won't change your mind on it.

Similar opinions. I haven't played MP yet but the single player is polished yet feels unfocused.

I am a bit surprised how different it feels and the pacing. Something about it, really sets it apart from the earlier titles.

You kinda answered it yourself. There are levels, so it isn't an open world game at all. Just large area's that you are placed in depending on story content. The game would have been better off more linear than open like this.

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
I can not, for the fucking life of me, beat this floating in space protecting this train on a rail mission.

It's 100% fucking lame.

Anyone having trouble connecting to multiplayer games? My friends have both tried inviting me and I just keep getting stuck on the "Joining" screen. I added my PS4 to my router's DMZ so I don't think anything should be getting blocked.

Azull

Anyone having trouble connecting to multiplayer games? My friends have both tried inviting me and I just keep getting stuck on the "Joining" screen. I added my PS4 to my router's DMZ so I don't think anything should be getting blocked.

Are you stuck on "joining" screen or the waiting for "player to leave" screen?

Racer1977

Has anyone gone straight to multiplayer?

Would feel like I'm just passing time making my way though single player, when MP is where the long-term appeal is.

Gameplay impressions:

- In love with SP. I bit off more than I can chew though because I thought people said the game was too easy, so I am playing on HARD mode and getting pwned. It's all good, I finallly got off of Chapter 2. Died several times, but enjoyed every minute of it.. well, I got frustrated a few times, but kept trying and got past it.

-Save system is dumb. You have checkpoints in the Chapter, so you would think that GG would have allowed you to quit the game and come back to the same checkpoint like most 99% of other games. Nope.

-Hate MP so far. I die at least 20X for every 1 kill I make. Like the scout but I can't walk around stealth because people see me. Graphics are a definite downgrade from SP.

-Love the audio clips coming out of my DS4. That's genius! I can actually hear the voice over top of all the music and sound effects!

-Knife kills are da shit! I thought Metro and BF4 took the knife kills to new levels.. This character not only has a better looking knife, but his animations are fucking classic! It's too bad you can't equip the knife like in Chapter 1. That would have been perfect!

chidrock

Hoping someone could help me out with a quick question...I have the Killzone trilogy for PS3 sitting unopened. Should I play that before playing this, or are the stories separate?

I'll probably open the Trilogy first bc I have BF4 to try out too, but I was just wondering.

Hoping someone could help me out with a quick question...I have the Killzone trilogy for PS3 sitting unopened. Should I play that before playing this, or are the stories separate?

I'll probably try those first bc I have BF4 to try out too, but I was just wondering.

Shadow Fall occurs 30 years after the events of the original Killzone trilogy. I haven't played it yet, so I can't tell you if there are/aren't references to the original events, but it shouldn't be crucial.

By all means play them if you want, however. It couldn't hurt.

I agree with the old school comments and I love it. The first room actually took me a bit to figure out cause I was so used to being funneled down a corridor to shoot shit in FPS's. It almost felt like a puzzle.

It great how they give you the tools and let you figure it out. Hope the game continues this way.

Playing on hard, love it when games can kill me.

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
Ok, I beat it.

Problem was the stupid checkpoint/respawn part doesn't fully heal the cargo train thingy. So I just restarted it from the beginning and got it done first try.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Played about 30 minutes of SP and an hour of MP.

Graphics are really good - but not as amazing as I was hoping. Don't get me wrong - it's a massive step up from PS3. It's just no where near as good looking as BF4 on PC. Granted, yes, that's an unfair comparison - I realize that. Just sharing my first impressions.

Also, the FoV in MP is *way* too narrow.

That said, it's still a looker; and I really love the 60FPS in multi. It's a lot of fun if somewhat basic. I will say the reload animations are really snazzy, and effects like particles are great.

Also - man, the Dualshock 4 is a MASSIVE upgrade to the tried-and-true gamepad. This thing is incredible; and in less than a few hours, I'm already starting to think it might end up being my favorite controller ever; an impressive feat, considering I HATE the Dualshock 3 for shooters. My only complains, really, are I wish the sticks had the slightest more range of motion, and I'll miss analog buttons in Metal Gear.

the graphics are pretty damn good in this game, I like how the levels have good variety to them too. It's easily the best killzone game IMO. If PS4 is putting out amazing looking stuff like this day 1, i cant even imagine how something like Uncharted 4 or Last of us 2 will look in 2-3 yhears.

njean777

I asked in the other thread and got no answer: for anybody with the disc version, does lthe ps4 fans sound like a jet engine when you start a mp game for like 3-5 min and then lower the fans after a bit? Every single MP game I go into the ps4 fans spin to what I believe to be maximum speed and then they drop after about 3-5 minutes to regular sound levels.

Played about 30 minutes of SP and an hour of MP.

Graphics are really good - but not as amazing as I was hoping. Don't get me wrong - it's a massive step up from PS3. It's just no where near as good looking as BF4 on PC. Granted, yes, that's an unfair comparison - I realize that. Just sharing my first impressions.

I hate being the hypocrite on this but:

no-no-no-HELL-NO.gif

BF4 has some great FX and post-processing -- but that's about it. If you really pay attention to the 2 games, you can see that KZ:SF is doing a lot more DX11 features than BF4. The area lights, soft shadows and SSR are pretty much unmatched.. The environment lighting is crazy good too. Character models, environment models, skin, textures, lens flares, etc.. are all on par with BF4.

You have to pay an extra $20 for horde mode? what the flaming fuck?

It's an entirely separate mode from the MP, which is getting free maps btw. Would have been nice if it was already included in the game, but I prefer this to having to buy map packs and the community getting fragmented because of that.

Is anyone who is colorblind having problems playing this game? I am really struggling to see the objective marker that is red against all the green foliage in the forest level which I think is chapter 2. Same goes for spotting enemies. And, in multiplayer, I can't tell my teammates apart from the enemy most of the time. It's really hard to distinguish the red and the greens in this game.

guek

Banned
It's an entirely separate mode from the MP, which is getting free maps btw. Would have been nice if it was already included in the game, but I prefer this to having to buy map packs and the community getting fragmented because of that.

"Would have been nice"?

The only way it would in any way be acceptable is if you could buy it standalone. Fuck DLC, I hate this shit.

Top Bottom