• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Ricky_R

I asked in the other thread and got no answer: for anybody with the disc version, does lthe ps4 fans sound like a jet engine when you start a mp game for like 3-5 min and then lower the fans after a bit? Every single MP game I go into the ps4 fans spin to what I believe to be maximum speed and then they drop after about 3-5 minutes to regular sound levels.

My PS4 sounds loud as hell while playing KZ sp.

So whats the GAF consensus after two days? Reviewers were actually right? I'm super jealous right now, I'm gonna wait a few months to pick a ps4 up and upgrade the tv but killzone 2 was one of my favorite multiplayer games. Played a ton with neogaf too.

Odrion

Banned
The singleplayer is pretty awful. Which is disappointing because you can see that it was not because of lack of effort. Guerilla came into this thing with a bunch of really good ideas, but it's ruined by poor AI and level design. Just ugh, not fun. Remember when Killzone was slow paced and weighty, with really clever AI?

The multiplayer, on the other hand, is the last thing I played on the PS4 today and it was the first time that I felt good in purchasing the console. That weighty, class specific multiplayer is back. And it looks so gorgeous.

I think the 7/10 reviews were fair. If this thing was only Singleplayer it'd get a fucking 3/10 from me.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't understand, I just finished the first level and I'm wondering whether I'm supposed to feel bad for the Helghast. It feels so over the fucking top.

Half the planet! And with apparently complete autonomy. It's an absolutely insane thing for a nation to do for an enemy who was about to launch a WMD fleet against their planet and oops, they just happened to blow up their own planet instead.

Sure, giving them a place to live makes sense from a mercy perspective. But this is insanity. At least forcibly apply some Vectan authority to other side. They didn't even give their own citizens adequate time to leave before letting the space Nazis move in!

They obviously wanted to tell this whole Cold War era Berlin story, but they got to it in the most clumsy way possible. Yeesh.
You can't control another culture no matter what you do. The best you can do is compromise and integrate. As far as not letting vektans move out of the Helghast half, it wasn't like the evacuation of helghan was planned. The UCN also probably had a say in the matter, it probably went along the lines of "You fucked up, now fix it, or we will".

so I finally got online through the usb method.... but sadly I had to sacrifice my story mode progress to due so T-T

the headsets how do you make them work for KZ MP?

I have it on but I can't hear anyone.... and I believe that I also believe they can't hear me

_Isaac

Is anyone who is colorblind having problems playing this game? I am really struggling to see the objective marker that is red against all the green foliage in the forest level which I think is chapter 2. Same goes for spotting enemies. And, in multiplayer, I can't tell my teammates apart from the enemy most of the time. It's really hard to distinguish the red and the greens in this game.

The game doesn't have different color blind settings? I kinda remember hearing about that being in there.

Jarmel

Banned
The first level has some of the most insane and stupid writing I've seen in a videogame in a long time. The evacuation stuff is just so stupid.

_Isaac

so I finally got online through the usb method.... but sadly I had to sacrifice my story mode progress to due so T-T

I have it on but I can't hear anyone.... and I believe that I also believe they can't hear me

I was wondering about this myself. Everybody was just silent, which was kinda surprising to me since the console comes with its own mic.

Dysun

Not a big fan of the game so far, weighty clunky Killzone controls in multiplayer just isn't my cup of tea. Night and day difference after popping out BF4, going to try out the single player but dont have high hopes.
Reviews were fair

mcfrank

Can someone explain the save system to me? I keep getting check points, but then if I quit the game and come back later I am 3 or 4 checkpoints behind where I left off. This is the first Killzone game I have put much time into and I am enjoying the single player so far. Played a couple of rounds of multi and liked it, but BF4 will be my multiplayer game. Thanks.

MilkBeard

The first level has some of the most insane and stupid writing I've seen in a videogame in a long time. The evacuation stuff is just so stupid.

Disagree, it seems pretty standard quality for a video game in my opinion. Also I know I've seen some videos of really bad voice acting for the game, but so far the voice acting quality is better than what I thought. I know there are going to be scenes that will make me cringe though.

"Would have been nice"?

The only way it would in any way be acceptable is if you could buy it standalone. Fuck DLC, I hate this shit.

Sorry, maybe it's me, but I'm not understanding you. The bolded part in your reply implies that you would be fine if the Horde co-op mode was standalone. But it is standalone, buying the Season Pass gets you this.

According to http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/24/killzone-shadow-fall-season-pass-revealed/ :
To help you save on the first six expansion packs, we’re introducing the Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass. For just $19.99, you will receive access to the following packs as they become available:
Online co-op expansion pack
Focusing on team play and intense combat, the online co-op expansion pack adds a new co-operative game mode in which you and up to three online friends must survive against impossible odds. Fight waves upon waves of enemies in four new arena maps, featuring a unique leveling system and new unlocks.
Three online co-op map packs
Each map pack consists of two brand-new arena maps you can play in co-op mode with your friends. Please note that these arena maps will only work with the online co-op expansion pack.
Two additional multiplayer expansion packs
We’ll reveal more about these additional multiplayer expansion packs when Killzone Shadow Fall’s launch date nears. Suffice to say they’ll offer many hours of additional multiplayer thrills!

MP maps will be free, so I'm guessing the expansion stuff in the Season Pass will likely be new classes or weapons.

Edit- My "would have been nice" comment was just expressing my feelings towards Guerilla Game's plans. Having the co-op mode already included in the game would be much better than having to buy it. But for me, I'd rather buy a separate game mode than multiplayer maps, since the BF3 community got fragmented by that.

viveks86

me

I was wondering about this myself. Everybody was just silent, which was kinda surprising to me since the console comes with its own mic.

Does this help?

I read earlier on Gaf that you can adjust it from some settings that comes up when you hit the PS button. No idea how this is done. I still don't have the console, but thought I'd put it out there

Yup, hold down the PS button and go into something like 'manage devices', volume control is there.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just finished, pretty lol ending.

Solid game, like an 8/10, shame the story was such a letdown.

Played on normal, didn't think it was too hard, couple parts near the end that were frustrating though.

The game doesn't have different color blind settings? I kinda remember hearing about that being in there.

I'll have to check then. Playing it as it is now, it is really a struggle to see things as they are if you're colorblind. The reds and the greens at least in that chapter 2 Forrest level make the game extremely difficult to play to the point where I'm running around not able to do much.

guek

Banned
Sorry, maybe it's me, but I'm not understanding you. The bolded part in your reply implies that you would be fine if the Horde co-op mode was standalone. But it is standalone, buying the Season Pass gets you this.

According to http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/24/killzone-shadow-fall-season-pass-revealed/ :

MP maps will be free, so I'm guessing the expansion stuff in the Season Pass will likely be new classes or weapons.

But you still have to buy the core game, no? So it's DLC, the full price is $80, not $60. If I can buy the mode for $20 and not bother with the rest of the game then I'd still think it's shit that they didn't include it to begin with but on the whole, it'd be a lot less shitty.

But you still have to buy the core game, no? So it's DLC, the full price is $80, not $60. If I can buy the mode for $20 and not bother with the rest of the game then I'd still think it's shit that they didn't include it to begin with but on the whole, it'd be a lot less shitty.

Oh ok, I understand now. You meant the co-op being a completely standalone game, like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare? Yeah, that would have been another option Guerilla could have taken (and one for the better).

megamerican

So whats the GAF consensus after two days? Reviewers were actually right? I'm super jealous right now, I'm gonna wait a few months to pick a ps4 up and upgrade the tv but killzone 2 was one of my favorite multiplayer games. Played a ton with neogaf too.

I've only played about three missions but I am completely baffled as to how anyone could score this game a 5. The game is gorgeous. Flat out. The story is engaging enough without getting in the way of the gameplay. And it's not the gung ho marine type stuff. It's more like a space Black Ops in tone.

Shooting and movement is still slower than COD / BF but it is improved from KZ2/3. I can't speak to MP as I'm having problems completing purchases of PS Plus, but so far the SP is easily the best of the series if the quality persists.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Liking the campaign so far. Then again, I'm not expecting Half-Life 2 or BioShock. I think they should have just automatically assigned the free 30 days of PS+ to anyone who set up a profile, because the MP counts are very low right now, and you realize why when you cannot get into the damn store to redeem a code. :-\

Just checked and there is no colorblind settings in the menu for the game. Just a heads up for people who struggle, it's really a challenge to play especially online. Sorry!

viveks86

Oh ok, I understand now. You meant the co-op being a completely standalone game, like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare? Yeah, that would have been another option Guerilla could have taken (and one for the better).

I think there are very few games that do this and it's sort of unreasonable to call it "shitty" (not you, I know) because killzone doesn't. It's like saying, "I want just the infected mode in call of duty for $10-20 because I don't care for the rest of the game". Would be cool if it were available that way, but perfectly understandable if it isn't.

Either my TV is too loud or I'm deaf. Killzone doesn't get loud for me at all.

the sound is borked in this game. You are not alone. I toggled between normal and small speakers in its audio settings.

download some of the free PS+ indie games and you will notice that their sound are fine.

Alright.

Either something is wrong with my eyes, or certain MP maps make it VERY fucking difficult to see the enemy. I think it's all the neutral colors. Like on the MP map where everyone is running around one big circular foxhole in the rain, it's very difficult to see an enemy from distance if they're standing still.

I also notice this sporadic effect that I can only describe as "Vaseline on my glasses". Everything is just kinda blurry for no apparent reason for a moment, then things come back into focus. Only happens in MP, and usually only when I'm running.

Eusis

Half the planet! And with apparently complete autonomy. It's an absolutely insane thing for a nation to do for an enemy who was about to launch a WMD fleet against their planet and oops, they just happened to blow up their own planet instead.

Sure, giving them a place to live makes sense from a mercy perspective. But this is insanity. At least forcibly apply some Vectan authority to other side. They didn't even give their own citizens adequate time to leave before letting the space Nazis move in!

They obviously wanted to tell this whole Cold War era Berlin story, but they got to it in the most clumsy way possible. Yeesh.
Half the planet and the ability for them to just kick people out themselves and even kill them. I would think that with most of the population dead they'd either be handed, like, half a continent (did they REALLY fill out the entire planet before taking in the Helghast?) or straight up forced to just live as refugees with no actual government of their own, eventually being absorbed back into the people they were originally separated from anyway.

It's like they're on to something here, but have no idea how to properly execute it. Shame, at least some of them are clearly well read with what are probable Book of the New Sun references in prior games (Autarch as a title, Sev as a name possibly as reference to Severian, and more blatantly the "New Sun" ship) and I imagine even with more plausible variants of taking in the Helghast they could still have gotten this same dynamic.

EDIT: Though really, my biggest issue is the checkpoint system, unlike nearly every other FPS that depends solely on them you can't actually just quit a game and resume from the last checkpoint, you're potentially punted WAY further back. At least the initial mission's open enough that I stumbled upon other stuff to do rather than just retracing my steps, that's something that's great to have and not many games other than, say, Super Mario 64 really do.

Just finished the 2nd mission in SP. Very, very good looking. Easily the best looking console game I've ever played. I like the atmosphere and the story so far. By far the biggest improvement to me is in the gunplay and level design (even though I keep wasting grenades by hitting R1 instinctively when I want to shoot) . The default weapon isn't as OP as I'd feared (it chews through ammo too quickly to be OP) and I actually find the OWL both useful as well as tactically interesting (its conversation is much better than Rico's). I also like the 80s Sci Fi soundtrack (Vangelis ftw) and the intro flyover over the city is pretty special. All in I like it and I think it's promising. It doesn't have as impressive an opening as Killzone 2 but I actually think it is the most characterful game GG have made.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Fort the people who have finished it. Can anyone confirm if there are any large scale war battles?

something on the scale of Manchester in Resistance fall of man or the bridge battle in KZ2.

quaere

My PS4 sounds loud as hell while playing KZ sp.

Same here.
I agree it's pretty loud but launch 360 sets the standard for console noise. Compared to that...this is just a moderate noise level.

And while I haven't played BF4 on PC, I've done Crysis 3 and BF3 on a high end system and I'd say this is the best looking game I've played. The first night level doesn't really show it off though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The AI is really good. The way they flank and maneuver is very impressive.

The special abilities are also much more balanced in the context of the game than in the demos. They're necessary and don't feel as OP as I expected.

More recoil than I expected as well. Combine that with no aim assist and it's much more skill based than other shooters. I can see people not liking this but it certainly makes it feel like Killzone.

Chapter 3 was overly long but I thought it was cool. A lot of people are going to hate it though. I think single player will be pretty divisive but I'm definitely a fan so far. Reminds me a lot of Half-Life mixed with Perfect Dark.

reKon

Banned
I would love to be playing Killzone MP, but unfortunately PSN WON'T FUCKING ACCEPT MY CREDIT/DEBIT CARD INFORMATION. It's ridiculous that they require this information just to use my 7 day PSN+ trial. Why Sony? Just Why?

viveks86

Gameinformer review is out - 8/10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/k...e/2013/11/15/killzone-shadow-fall-review.aspx

With this fourth console installment, Guerrilla Games presents a great showcase title for the graphical capability of the PlayStation 4, but Shadow Fall also succeeds in being the best gameplay experience in the series.

When you look past the gorgeous visuals, Killzone: Shadow Fall is a competent shooter in terms of both campaign gameplay and multiplayer offerings. It may not be the most innovative titles on the market, but it’s certainly one of the top stars of the PlayStation 4’s launch lineup.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The AI is really good. The way they flank and maneuver is very impressive.

The special abilities are also much more balanced in the context of the game than in the demos. They're necessary and don't feel as OP as I expected.

More recoil than I expected as well. Combine that with no aim assist and it's much more skill based than other shooters. I can see people not liking this but it certainly makes it feel like Killzone.

Chapter 3 was overly long but I thought it was cool. A lot of people are going to hate it though. I think single player will be pretty divisive but I'm definitely a fan so far. Reminds me a lot of Half-Life mixed with Perfect Dark.

Any large scale battles dude?

Got to get some sleep... Only got online recently

And sadly I got to start my KZ SP from square one again especially when the story was getting interesting

Good Night GAF
I will try to get some rounds in with you guys tommorow

~Oh I did see Shinobi online in KZ ;)

Top Bottom