• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

I just started playing the single player campaign tonight, and I have to say it started slow, but when I got the hang of it, it felt pretty amazing to utilize a combination of stealth, strategy, and tactics to take down groups of enemies.

It almost feels gameplay-wise like Deus Ex: Human Revolution (but solely from a first person perspective) and the MGS series combined.

MilkBeard

I wanna know how loud "loud" is, cause mine is pretty damn quiet.

Yeah, it's really not that loud to me honestly. I haven't played MP yet, but in single player playing Killzone and AC4, It's definitely audible but nothing crazy. Sounds pretty standard to me.

The sounds are different and interesting to me, because it's a new console that has different parts that make different sounds. For example, my disc drive sounds like a tiny Sonic doing a spin dash in Lost World! Ha ha. But that is not loud, it's just the sound of the drive kicking into high gear. I remember when I first got my PS3, I noticed the interesting sound of the drive buzzing.

But in terms of loudness, it's a little bit louder than my PS3 slim, yeah, but it's not that loud overall.

Apeopleman

so I finally got online through the usb method.... but sadly I had to sacrifice my story mode progress to due so T-T

the headsets how do you make them work for KZ MP?

I have it on but I can't hear anyone.... and I believe that I also believe they can't hear me

One thing we all forgot.

PS4 now has cross game chat. Everyone (including me) were talking to their friends via private chat.

Therefore, you won't hear those individuals in the game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The first level has some of the most insane and stupid writing I've seen in a videogame in a long time. The evacuation stuff is just so stupid.

Like the past Killzone games, the direction and writing in this game sucks.

Sony needs to fire all the writers and directors at GG.

Sassen

Was playing last night and while I was going for some melee kills in SP my character would look up into the sky and do the knifing animation, lol.

Timu

The level of detail is insane!!!

iEwA0faZvKzGY.png

iKS7QFQIMbrXo.png

Lol before I sleep... one more thing about Chapter 3 in the SP
Spoiler
Me "Wow the sun looks beautiful!"

*hack complete*

Lucas "I am now ramming the space ship into the sun"

Me " wait what did he say"

*Spaceships starts to melt*

Me "you crazy psychopath! Why would you do this?"

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
God damn you guys are pumping me up

would you say the graphics are a huge leap over ps3?

Definitely. The framerate helps a lot on top of the increased fidelity. It's more of a next gen punch than any of the PS3/360 launch games were.

A few of my screens:

BZK0_m0CEAAXUK2.jpg:large

BZKg4pNCcAAHyjC.jpg:large

BZK0vhgIAAA_PaV.jpg

Metzhara

Do people really think the AI is great in this game? I nearly shot drink out of my nose when I read that. The AI in this game is actually sub-par. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and I've seen AI literally stare at me stupid until I fired a gun, walk up to a wall and antagonize it, and walk along the same path for fairly easy kills.
I've seen COD AI with better logic, and I'm not being facetious.

I still enjoy the game as far as Launch titles go but I do understand how some people are less than impressed. As good as the game can look, some of the design leaves much to be desired.

The first level alone
is nothing short of a very long, drawn out tutorial for stuff you learned 15 years ago that could have surmised the story into one simple line.
Add the first half of level 2 to that
as well.
I was much more blown away by the graphical enhancement and smooth controls of Flower, quite honestly. -Adam

~Kinggi~

Banned
the sound is borked in this game. You are not alone. I toggled between normal and small speakers in its audio settings.

download some of the free PS+ indie games and you will notice that their sound are fine.

You are correct. I think they rushed the sound mixing for this game. Many effects have no sound at all or are very low in volume.

But still not a huge deal. Its rare something seems really out of place/.

Everytime I try to load a multiplayer game my disk says gives me a message that its corrupt and the application needs to close. Single player is running fine though. any tips?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do people really think the AI is great in this game? I nearly shot drink out of my nose when I read that. The AI in this game is actually sub-par. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and I've seen AI literally stare at me stupid until I fired a gun, walk up to a wall and antagonize it, and walk along the same path for fairly easy kills.
I've seen COD AI with better logic, and I'm not being facetious.

I still enjoy the game as far as Launch titles go but I do understand how some people are less than impressed. As good as the game can look, some of the design leaves much to be desired.

The first level alone
is nothing short of a very long, drawn out tutorial for stuff you learned 15 years ago that could have surmised the story into one simple line.
Add the first half of level 2 to that
as well.
I was much more blown away by the graphical enhancement and smooth controls of Flower, quite honestly. -Adam

I haven't seen enemies move and flank like they do in this game very often. They catch me off guard a lot. They can be dumb about spotting you but in combat they work well as a team and don't stay still.

Rsinart

May be stupid, and some people may not care. But I absolutely love that the controller has a speaker. Picking up them audio logs and having it play in your hands is pretty cool.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
May be stupid, and some people may not care. But I absolutely love that the controller has a speaker. Picking up them audio logs and having it play in your hands is pretty cool.

Oh that is cool. I've been using headphones which deactivates that feature.

Spoiler

*hack complete*

The story in this game isn't good enough to worry about spoilers.

aly

Ok, so this is my first Killzone game and either I'm terrible or this game is hard even on normal. I'm stuck in this forest and there are guys everywhere. I would love a map or something.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Hooray for no more static spawn and ammo locations. KZ3 matches turned into ludicrous camp fests with those being present. I wish the interchangeable secondary class attributes from KZ2 would make a comeback, but this is pretty good as is.

D23

Ok, so this is my first Killzone game and either I'm terrible or this game is hard even on normal. I'm stuck in this forest and there are guys everywhere. I would love a map or something.
I died so many times in that part. My advice to you is to take it slow and use ur owl a lot. And yeah normal is kicking my ass. I can't imagine playing it on hard

zedge

Enjoying the game so far. Single player story is a bit stupid but is so pretty. Online is fun but they could do with cutting down on the motion blur, damn its like cranked. Also is the online chat broken? Have not heard a single person speak.

aly

I died so many times in that part. My advice to you is to take it slow and use ur owl a lot. And yeah normal is kicking my ass. I can't imagine playing it on hard

Thanks, finally got through. I kept forgetting the owl was there for some reason. I wasn't even using it to revive myself.

finally sunk my teeth into killzone shadowfall. At first I just played a bit and then moved on to other games (got addicted to resogun :p), but when I came back to killzone and really gave it a go I fell in love with it.

Was really surprised by how open it is, you really can have multiple approaches and multiple paths that open up different 'missions'. However, I dunno if its further in the game but I see no sign of the cover mechanics, or cover integrated into level design. someone please tell me i shouldn't be worried? >_>

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
finally sunk my teeth into killzone shadowfall. At first I just played a bit and then moved on to other games (got addicted to resogun :p), but when I came back to killzone and really gave it a go I fell in love with it.

Was really surprised by how open it is, you really can have multiple approaches and multiple paths that open up different 'missions'. However, I dunno if its further in the game but I see no sign of the cover mechanics, or cover integrated into level design. someone please tell me i shouldn't be worried? >_>

If you crouch near something you'll automatically use it as cover. You don't lock to stuff any more, it's just a contextual thing when you crouch.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm on level 3 and I must have misheard something on one of the audiologs because they hired Helghasts to work on a top secret Vektan project.

Spoiler

*hack complete*

In the cutscene before that mission
Sinclair tells you that you need to do that.

My personal pet peeve is when people say something doesn't make sense or the story is incomprehensible but they didn't bother paying attention to the cutscene before hand.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
So I haven't been keeping up with all the next-gen news and impressions. What's the consensus on Shadowfall?

I've heard it characterized as the PDZ of this gen. Is that accurate?

If you crouch near something you'll automatically use it as cover. You don't lock to stuff any more, it's just a contextual thing when you crouch.

will have to try tomorrow. is it still like previous killzones where you can shoot over the top of cover or lean off the sides?

PBY

Banned
Really don't like the gameplay at all- stupid of me to think it'd be that different frm past killzones. But I keep playing because its the best looking game I've ever seen. Some crazy jaw dropping stuff.

Multiplayer impressions video is going up tomorrow night. It isn't a review of the MP just yet, but my general impressions on the game as a long-time KZ player who played all of the console KZ games online.

I consider KZ2 MP to be king, but so far SF is doing a lot of things right. KZ2 may end up getting dethroned.

So I haven't been keeping up with all the next-gen news and impressions. What's the consensus on Shadowfall?

I've heard it characterized as the PDZ of this gen. Is that accurate?

No, not at all. The game is pretty damn good, it deserves far better than the initial reviews gave it credit for.

Side note, I think I probably should have gone with Normal in lieu of Hard. I figured the game was going to be too easy so I went straight for Hard. I'm starting to regret that decision, does the difficulty taper off or stay the same. I just finished Chapter 1, no spoilers please. Additionally, is their a trophy for completing it on Hard?

Kimosabae

Banned
I like what I'm reading about the difficulty. Too bad the consequential amount of complaining related to it all but ensures the next game won't have this "problem".

tfur

Pretty amazing game in SP with the owl mechanic, and atmosphere. Played SP for a few couple of hours, then into MP.

The MP is already competitive and the maps are insanely ornate at times. Hours of MP tonight doing classic warzone as basically a tactician. Very tight, streamed all night, no lag and completely stable.

Gonna wait and finish the game, but so far and with MP... the 4.5 and 5 reviews are clearly asinine.

Top Bottom