• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Playing through quite a bit of the single player and the multiplayer... it definitely a great game. L O fucking L at Polygon's review now. No way in fucking hell is this anywhere close to a 5 out of 10. I mean, what a fucking joke. This is a really, really good game. Also, the multiplayer is wonderful, especially that framerate.

I started the single player on hard mode and the game is very hard. But, it makes it more enjoyable when you start to get used to using the OWL and end up kicking ass. Nothing feels unfair though.

Good job, Guerrilla.

Eusis

In the cutscene before that mission
Sinclair tells you that you need to do that.

My personal pet peeve is when people say something doesn't make sense or the story is incomprehensible but they didn't bother paying attention to the cutscene before hand.
Hahaha. I was thinking "wait why would he do... oh shit, that's right."

BajiBoxer

Banned
Loving Killzone so far in SP. Seems severely underrated. My only issues so far has been having trouble seeing the objective marker, people not looking at me when I talk, and the character's oddly proportioned body. Why am I playing as a midget with giant hands?

I stopped playing, i need to read the Wiki, I felt so lost haha. Game was fun from what I can tell so far, and looks great.

I'd just like to have an idea about wtf is going on in this series. Never played a Killzone game before.

kurbaan

Banned
Been playing a bit of online. Kinda confusing but whats weird is how come no one is talking on the mics? Feels so weird its all quiet.

LtOrange

Wow I am loving the SP so far. The campaign on 'Hard' is really challenging and is constantly forcing me to try different strategies. Each chapter has been varied which is such a nice change compared to the generic military shooters I am used to. The mesmerizing graphics help craft a atmosphere that is really something else. Oh ya the OWL mechanic is soooo awesome... Oh man the touchpad works wonders here. I can't wait to finish the SP off tomorrow and jump into some MP. I can not recommend this game enough for new PS4 owners. This generation is off to an awesome start in my eyes.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've beaten KZ 2-3 and I still don't know what's going on, lol

But I'm having fun with it despite some complaints. Some parts feel a bit slow, mostly due to figuring out where to go most of the time

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to turn the volume down on the audio logs? It's a nice feature, playing it through the controller, but damn it is freaking loud lol

There is literally no transition between chapters. One second you're here talking to this dude, the next second you're warped to wherever you're going and there you are. It makes the game feel like an unconnected series of random levels instead of an actual overarching storyline you're progressing through.

I guarantee GAF is going to feel the exact opposite when the game when they have their impressions.

STRAIGHT called that shit.
KuGsj.gif

Anyone want to play MP? I read somewhere that party system in-game works off the PS4 UI party system. Anyone want to test it out? My PSN ID: MassXtortion

edit - for anyone already on my friend list, the party is "Killzone GAF"

Holy shit. This game, that first scene after the first chapter....wow.

Also, MP is a lot of fun so far. Even did a quick broadcast which got a total of ONE viewer, haha.

PSN - djblackice (if anyone wants to add me)

Multiplayer is really, really, really, really, REALLY fun. I put about 6 hours in today with only a few connection errors that kicked me out of a lobby after a match, but no real major issues. The framerate is fairly smooth much of the time, the hit detection feels spot on most of the time, lack of aim-assist really makes some skirmishes come to life, and the graphics are INCREDIBLE. The maps have some great chokepoints and a ton of flanking routes for most major areas. Weapons feel mostly balanced right now, and I've been killed with a variety of different types of weapons. Even with the default 7 v 7 in the standard Warzones list the matches can get crazy. 12 v 12 would be an amazing meat grinder on some of these maps.

Anyone want to play MP? I read somewhere that party system in-game works off the PS4 UI party system. Anyone want to test it out? My PSN ID: MassXtortion

Ughhhhhh, I was on earlier but I never even checked my friends list I was so focused :X

If you're on tomorrow I'll squad up and test the party stuff.

rdrr gnr

I'm about 6 chapters in and it's the worst entry by a stretch. I'll play through the entire game before jotting down my thoughts.

viveks86

I wish I could. Still waiting for my PS4. Do test it out and create a new thread (to get everyone's attention) if you have figured it out. I've come across so many people who have absolutely no clue how best to play as a group. Wish GG could release an FAQ on some of these aspects. (Steve, you hear me?)

Multiplayer is really, really, really, really, REALLY fun. I put about 6 hours in today with only a few connection errors that kicked me out of a lobby after a match, but no real major issues. The framerate is fairly smooth much of the time, the hit detection feels spot on most of the time, lack of aim-assist really makes some skirmishes come to life, and the graphics are INCREDIBLE. The maps have some great chokepoints and a ton of flanking routes for most major areas. Weapons feel mostly balanced right now, and I've been killed with a variety of different types of weapons. Even with the default 7 v 7 in the standard Warzones list the matches can get crazy. 12 v 12 would be an amazing meat grinder on some of these maps.

The lack of auto aim is fucking amazing. Shadow Fall has some of the most satisfying gunplay I've experienced in a multiplayer shooter. The Rumbler and Keyser are too much fun. I think a lot of it has to do with the sound. Both single player and MP in Shadow Fall are aural feasts. I'm really happy with it so far. Just hope we can get this party thing figured out.

I wish I could. Still waiting for my PS4. Do test it out and create a new thread (to get everyone's attention) if you have figured it out. I've come across so many people who have absolutely no clue how best to play as a group. Wish GG could release an FAQ on some of these aspects. (Steve, you hear me?)

Yeah I think I get the jist of it but I'm not totally sure how it works. Basically what I read stated that if someone in a party joins a public game, then everyone else in the party automatically gets invited. What I'm curious to find out is if the game compensates for the numbers of players in a party (so someone in a 5 man party wouldn't be thrown into a game with only 3 slots left) and if party members are always going to join in on the same team. Earlier I was playing and a Gaffer joined my game and ended up on my team. We weren't in a party so who knows.

Nooooo

worst than killzone 1? :eek:

It's easily the best and most immersive of any of them. Definitely the best written of them all by a mile. Characters are much more relatable and likable. Lucas and Sinclair give the ISA/VSA an indentity. Echo easily one of the best characters of the series. And if your a Killzone fan (Major Spoiler; Don't read unless your past chapter 7)
The crazy plot twist that my favorite character from KZ3, Stahl is alive
makes you go crazy.

This is, from a Killzone fans perspective, easily the best Killzone single player story to date. Always loved the lore I just always wished they implemented more of it into the story. And they did. Kudos to GG. They did a fantastic job. Forget the haters.

Played a ton of Multiplayer tonight and really enjoyed it. I haven't ever played a Killzone before so jumping in I had no idea what to expect beyond FPS. After 4 hours of classic war zone or whatever it's called, mainly playing as assault, I had a 0.14 win loss ratio and a 0.6 something k/D. I then started playing support and completely changed haha. Up to 1.5 w/l and 1.01 k/D. The turret is amazing and being able to revive my allies is really helpful. Spawn beacon can be really useful too. I can't wait to play more!

Also streamed on twitch a few hours and was impressed... I didn't notice any difference in lag or performance.

The lack of auto aim is fucking amazing. Shadow Fall has some of the most satisfying gunplay I've experienced in a multiplayer shooter. The Rumbler and Keyser are too much fun. I think a lot of it has to do with the sound. Both single player and MP in Shadow Fall are aural feasts. I'm really happy with it so far. Just hope we can get this party thing figured out.

Gunplay feels top notch. The muzzle flashes are ridiculous, and you can often get into 1 v 1 duels where you and your opponent are producing so much light and smoke mixed with the god rays/atmospheric lighting that it's hard to see each other causing this amazing lull in the shootout to regain composure. That might sound like a bad thing, but it's really crazy to see happening. The visual + audio feedback and effects in this game are destined to be hugely underrated, especially with how the game was reviewed.

My only real issue is in the campaign: The cutscenes are too much. There's a really strong base here, but the overbearing narrative is getting in the way of the experience. They're hopping around aimlessly to different events again, though not on the absurd levels of Killzone 3, and along with that these long first person sequences where you're just watching, it's undercutting what I think the campaign does really well: Gameplay. When they actually give you control, the deliberate pacing found in the first few chapters is a lot of fun, and I think they could create a real atmospheric stunner if they'd just back off and let me do my thing. The game would be much stronger if it took the Uncharted 2 approach of having an extended period of real time events with no cutaways or time skips. Chapter 3 gave me Half Life/Riddick vibes, and I loved it for that. Long stretches of "dirty work" punctuated with small, intense enemy encounters, a weird droning electronic soundtrack, and great lighting. They should do a TON more of that.

rdrr gnr

Nooooo

worst than killzone 1? :eek:
It has the most trite and forgettable story in a shooter since BF3. Every character is profoundly uninteresting. I have an internal struggle every chapter about whether or not I should skip the cutscene. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities so far. The environments are dull outside of the bump in graphical fidelity. I still have a huge chunk of the game to go -- but so far it's incredibly disappointing. GG has had 4 games to do this universe justice (5 with Mercenary), and again, they've failed.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
How do you talk to people in game, no one is friggen talking holy shit ....

Also how the fuck does the party system work??????????????!!!??????????????

george_us

In a universe where Gears of War is considered a masterpiece despite its horrendous story and shit characters, why do people give a fuck about Killzone's story again? There literally hasn't been a FPS shooter with a story worth damn since Half-Life 2 and the Episodes were released.

The multiplayer in this game is simply PHENOMENAL. Like, better than Killzone 2 levels of greatness here.

I just got done playing nothing but multiplayer the entire day and it brings back wonderful memories of how good this series can be as a pure mechanics driven shooter, which in the world of CoDs and BFs these days, seems to be something that's a bit of a rarity unfortunately.

Some were concerned about the recoil and weapon balancing, and I'm absolutely thrilled at what they've established here. It's hard to tell from videos, but the feeling of "punchy" weapons from KZ2 is back, and the lack of auto-aim means that the level of skill here has risen dramatically as well. Recoil is just perfect, I have to feather my shots in order to aim accurately, and it may appear a bit subtle in some of the videos but due to the lack of auto aim the recoil does have a major impact on the gunplay and weapon balancing.

This is not a game where whoever sees who first gets the kill, this requires a lot of skill, a lot of team work, and there's very little bullshit like mechs to fuck it up. The level design are great too, but I'd enjoy it if a few more were just a tad bigger.

The graphics on display are sublime. 1080p and 60 fps makes a massive difference, and thanks to the vastly improved DS4 analog sticks, this is the also the best playing killzone to date, control wise. Everything feels weighty, yet responsive, precise, and requiring skill. Loving the engaging gun battles I'm getting into! Everyone saying the gunplay is top-tier are absolutely correct. The gunplay is UNMATCHED in my opinion. It's simply fantastic.

Yeah this is going to be my go-to shooter for a long time. Guerrilla nailed it. Congrats to Gurrilla Games and multiplayer designer Eric Boltjes for delivering an amazing launch title that I hope has good word of mouth and tie ratio with PS4 owners.

Bring on the free DLC! Hope to see Salamun market in there.

kazebyaka

Banned
In a universe where Gears of War is considered a masterpiece with its horrendous story and shit characters, why do people give a fuck about Killzone's story again? There literally hasn't been a FPS shooter with a story worth damn since Half-Life 2 and the Episodes were released.

wrong, The Darkness has the best FPS story of all time. Half Life series has nothing on it.

TEH-CJ

Banned
It's easily the best and most immersive of any of them. Definitely the best written of them all by a mile. Characters are much more relatable and likable. Lucas and Sinclair give the ISA/VSA an indentity. Echo easily one of the best characters of the series. And if your a Killzone fan (Major Spoiler; Don't read unless your past chapter 7)
The crazy plot twist that my favorite character from KZ3, Stahl is alive
makes you go crazy.

This is, from a Killzone fans perspective, easily the best Killzone single player story to date. Always loved the lore I just always wished they implemented more of it into the story. And they did. Kudos to GG. They did a fantastic job. Forget the haters.

Incredible!

All I need is the campaign to be as good as the multi player and I will be in heaven!

seems to be a hit and miss with a lot of people here. I have been watching some streams today and the atmosphere and gameplay looks incredible.

The level design and atmosphere gives me such a halo 2 / half life 2 vibe. Love it!

It has the most trite and forgettable story in a shooter since BF3. Every character is profoundly uninteresting. I have an internal struggle every chapter about whether or not I should skip the cutscene. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities so far. The environments are dull outside of the bump in graphical fidelity. I still have a huge chunk of the game to go -- but so far it's incredibly disappointing. GG has had 4 games to do this universe justice (5 with Mercenary), and again, they've failed.

damn..so many conflicting opinions :(

shame you are not enjoying it bro.

The multiplayer in this game is simply PHENOMENAL. Like, better than Killzone 2 levels of greatness here.

I just got done playing nothing but multiplayer the entire day and it brings back wonderful memories of how good this series can be as a pure mechanics driven shooter, which in the world of CoDs and BFs these days, seems to be something that's a bit of a rarity unfortunately.

Some were concerned about the recoil and weapon balancing, and I'm absolutely thrilled at what they've established here. It's hard to tell from videos, but the feeling of "punchy" weapons from KZ2 is back, and the lack of auto-aim means that the level of skill here has risen dramatically as well. Recoil is just perfect, I have to feather my shots in order to aim accurately, and it may appear a bit subtle in some of the videos but due to the lack of auto aim the recoil does have a major impact on the gunplay and weapon balancing.

This is not a game where whoever sees who first gets the kill, this requires a lot of skill, a lot of team work, and there's very little bullshit like mechs to fuck it up. The level design are great too, but I'd enjoy it if a few more were just a tad bigger.

The graphics on display are sublime. 1080p and 60 fps makes a massive difference, and thanks to the vastly improved DS4 analog sticks, this is the also the best playing killzone to date, control wise. Everything feels weighty, yet responsive, precise, and requiring skill. Loving the engaging gun battles I'm getting into! Everyone saying the gunplay is top-tier are absolutely correct. The gunplay is UNMATCHED in my opinion. It's simply fantastic.

Yeah this is going to be my go-to shooter for a long time. Guerrilla nailed it. Congrats to Gurrilla Games and multiplayer designer Eric Boltjes for delivering an amazing launch title that I hope has good word of mouth and tie ratio with PS4 owners.

Bring on the free DLC! Hope to see Salamun market in there.

I like this post! What are your favorite guns so far?

The compression is destroying these otherwise really nice screens. Anyone here have a capture card?

I have sent a message around... but still, we are looking for someone to supply loss less screens and video content for the upcoming tech thread. Would anyone here like to help out?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Loving the sound recordings coming through the speaker. I can imagine games like uncharted taking it further with sully and drake using walkie talkies.

Deadstar

This game has ridiculous graphics. It's going to take me 20 hours to beat it just because I keep stopping to look around. Wow....videos do not do this game justice at all. I'm having a ton of fun but have to quit. I really like the owl. He's fun to use and the abilities add some variety to the combat.

Sidzed2

Despite the mixed impressions, I still can't wait to try this game out for myself. 2 more weeks for us poor Aussies...

So, to anyone who's finished the game, are the last 3 chapters as bad as some of the reviews suggest? I know there's a free fall segment that looks a little crappy, but aside from that?

Spazznid

This game has ridiculous graphics. It's going to take me 20 hours to beat it just because I keep stopping to look around. Wow....videos do not do this game justice at all. I'm having a ton of fun but have to quit. I really like the owl. He's fun to use and the abilities add some variety to the combat.

In that mission where you're on the ship and it's really dark, I used the OWL to light things up, lol.

Top Bottom