• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Sp started off really slow but i think im starting to fall in love. I think it was partially due to the fact i was getting used to the controls and coming up with owl strategies. Im hitting a sweet spot and having fun.

Also, typing this from the ps4 web browser with kz:sf in the background is pretty cool. :p

viveks86

This game has ridiculous graphics. It's going to take me 20 hours to beat it just because I keep stopping to look around. Wow....videos do not do this game justice at all. I'm having a ton of fun but have to quit. I really like the owl. He's fun to use and the abilities add some variety to the combat.

He is fun to use, eh? Looks like you really like your newfound companion! :)

Sp started off really slow but i think im starting to fall in love. I think it was partially due to the fact i was getting used to the controls and coming up with owl strategies. Im hitting a sweet spot and having fun.

Also, typing this from the ps4 web browser with kz:sf in the background is pretty cool. :p

Whoa! How long does it take to type something like this? I'm terrible with virtual keyboards. Are you using the gyro?

Jtrizzy

It's a good game, but man I wish it was running at 60 fps. Going back and forth between it and the other games BF4, 2k, and Madden is jarring. I'm still early in the game but it seems better than 2/3, especially the gunplay mechanics.

I've been playing a ton of the support class. I tend to like mid-to-long range weapons (think: Battle Rifle in Halo, or M82 in KZ2).

Having a lot of fun with the HGH-STA59 with a fully unlocked scope.

I was planning on going support, will definitely try out the HGH-STA59 first.

Can you rename the class slots? On videos I've seen Support 1, Support 2, etc. but I'd like to rename them based on the abilities I use (Turret, Teleport, Spawn)

I was planning on going support, will definitely try out the HGH-STA59 first.

Can you rename the class slots? On videos I've seen Support 1, Support 2, etc. but I'd like to rename them based on the abilities I use (Turret, Teleport, Spawn)

Hmm...not sure, I think you're given like 5 custom slots per class or so and they default to the names you've listed, not sure if you can rename them though.

HGH-STA59 may not seem like a great weapon at first, but upgrading the scope makes a big difference.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
He is fun to use, eh? Looks like you really like your newfound companion! :)

Whoa! How long does it take to type something like this? I'm terrible with virtual keyboards. Are you using the gyro?
USB keyboard. ;)

But yes the gyro keyboard works surprisingly well.

Duxxy3

The
free fall
section may well be the worst thing I have experienced this year. What moron thought it was a good idea?

Looks like you can create a custom Warzone on the official site (which is similar to BF Battleog): http://shadowfall.killzone.com

I made a Custom warzone, check it out here: http://shadowfall.killzone.com/warzone/me#warzone=1b235ef4-da01-4003-b971-bfc4de5f21a5

GAF CUSTOM WARZONE #1 said:
MAPS 10/10 All
MISSIONS 3/8 Capture & Hold, Team Deathmatch, Search & Destroy
CLASSES 1/3 Scout
WEAPONS 9/9 All
ABILITIES 3/4 Cloak, Emergency Teleport, Stun Drone
MAX PLAYER COUNT 24
LIVES 7
PLAYER HEALTH High
FRIENDLY FIRE Off
BOTS 0

I also turned off Tactical Echo, Shield, and Revives, hoping to encourage tighter teamwork (use your mics!). Limited Lives, High Health but slow regen, and no revives hopefully add a tactical feel and require a higher level of skill rather than spray and pay.

Note: You must sign in with your PSN account to access all this.

Edit: Damn, just realized I accidentally disabled the Assault and Support Class. Gonna have to remake this now :(

Double Edit: GAF Custom Warzone #1.1 is here: http://shadowfall.killzone.com/warzone/me#warzone=41a8a361-17df-4fec-8c8b-2e213954cd46

coldfoot

Banned
Just beat the reveal section, I am really enjoying the game, loved the forest level with different paths and stealth despite the fact that I HATE stealth games.
However they took Battlefield's worst trait and now there are enemies that shine flashlights in your face. I'm playing on hard and except in the beginning of the forest level where I was just learning the ropes, hard isn't that hard at all. I can't beat COD on Veteran mode but this is much easier.
Don't understand how you guys are having problems with it.

I hate being the hypocrite on this but:

no-no-no-HELL-NO.gif

BF4 has some great FX and post-processing -- but that's about it. If you really pay attention to the 2 games, you can see that KZ:SF is doing a lot more DX11 features than BF4. The area lights, soft shadows and SSR are pretty much unmatched.. The environment lighting is crazy good too. Character models, environment models, skin, textures, lens flares, etc.. are all on par with BF4.

God Damn! This is something I didn't expect! But yeah, I think when people say BF4 and C3>>KZ, they are mostly thinking of IQ. Which on 4K and MSAA it obviously smokes KZ. Otherwise, yeah I agree.

nib95

Banned
This game has ridiculous graphics. It's going to take me 20 hours to beat it just because I keep stopping to look around. Wow....videos do not do this game justice at all. I'm having a ton of fun but have to quit. I really like the owl. He's fun to use and the abilities add some variety to the combat.

I guess its because I never played killzone before and this being next gen but I find this game pretty refreshing for its genre.

Pretty amazing game in SP with the owl mechanic, and atmosphere. Played SP for a few couple of hours, then into MP.

The MP is already competitive and the maps are insanely ornate at times. Hours of MP tonight doing classic warzone as basically a tactician. Very tight, streamed all night, no lag and completely stable.

Gonna wait and finish the game, but so far and with MP... the 4.5 and 5 reviews are clearly asinine.

Playing through quite a bit of the single player and the multiplayer... it definitely a great game. L O fucking L at Polygon's review now. No way in fucking hell is this anywhere close to a 5 out of 10. I mean, what a fucking joke. This is a really, really good game. Also, the multiplayer is wonderful, especially that framerate.

I started the single player on hard mode and the game is very hard. But, it makes it more enjoyable when you start to get used to using the OWL and end up kicking ass. Nothing feels unfair though.

Good job, Guerrilla.

Loving Killzone so far in SP. Seems severely underrated. My only issues so far has been having trouble seeing the objective marker, people not looking at me when I talk, and the character's oddly proportioned body. Why am I playing as a midget with giant hands?

i'm still shaking my head to the fact that this is a launch game!!

what.the.fuck

Wow I am loving the SP so far. The campaign on 'Hard' is really challenging and is constantly forcing me to try different strategies. Each chapter has been varied which is such a nice change compared to the generic military shooters I am used to. The mesmerizing graphics help craft a atmosphere that is really something else. Oh ya the OWL mechanic is soooo awesome... Oh man the touchpad works wonders here. I can't wait to finish the SP off tomorrow and jump into some MP. I can not recommend this game enough for new PS4 owners. This generation is off to an awesome start in my eyes.

This game... omg the multiplayer. 5/10 is criminal.

Holy shit. This game, that first scene after the first chapter....wow.

Also, MP is a lot of fun so far. Even did a quick broadcast which got a total of ONE viewer, haha.

PSN - djblackice (if anyone wants to add me)

Multiplayer is really, really, really, really, REALLY fun. I put about 6 hours in today with only a few connection errors that kicked me out of a lobby after a match, but no real major issues. The framerate is fairly smooth much of the time, the hit detection feels spot on most of the time, lack of aim-assist really makes some skirmishes come to life, and the graphics are INCREDIBLE. The maps have some great chokepoints and a ton of flanking routes for most major areas. Weapons feel mostly balanced right now, and I've been killed with a variety of different types of weapons. Even with the default 7 v 7 in the standard Warzones list the matches can get crazy. 12 v 12 would be an amazing meat grinder on some of these maps.

Ughhhhhh, I was on earlier but I never even checked my friends list I was so focused :X

If you're on tomorrow I'll squad up and test the party stuff.

It's easily the best and most immersive of any of them. Definitely the best written of them all by a mile. Characters are much more relatable and likable. Lucas and Sinclair give the ISA/VSA an indentity. Echo easily one of the best characters of the series. And if your a Killzone fan (Major Spoiler; Don't read unless your past chapter 7)
The crazy plot twist that my favorite character from KZ3, Stahl is alive
makes you go crazy.

This is, from a Killzone fans perspective, easily the best Killzone single player story to date. Always loved the lore I just always wished they implemented more of it into the story. And they did. Kudos to GG. They did a fantastic job. Forget the haters.

Played a ton of Multiplayer tonight and really enjoyed it. I haven't ever played a Killzone before so jumping in I had no idea what to expect beyond FPS. After 4 hours of classic war zone or whatever it's called, mainly playing as assault, I had a 0.14 win loss ratio and a 0.6 something k/D. I then started playing support and completely changed haha. Up to 1.5 w/l and 1.01 k/D. The turret is amazing and being able to revive my allies is really helpful. Spawn beacon can be really useful too. I can't wait to play more!

Also streamed on twitch a few hours and was impressed... I didn't notice any difference in lag or performance.

Gunplay feels top notch. The muzzle flashes are ridiculous, and you can often get into 1 v 1 duels where you and your opponent are producing so much light and smoke mixed with the god rays/atmospheric lighting that it's hard to see each other causing this amazing lull in the shootout to regain composure. That might sound like a bad thing, but it's really crazy to see happening. The visual + audio feedback and effects in this game are destined to be hugely underrated, especially with how the game was reviewed.

My only real issue is in the campaign: The cutscenes are too much. There's a really strong base here, but the overbearing narrative is getting in the way of the experience. They're hopping around aimlessly to different events again, though not on the absurd levels of Killzone 3, and along with that these long first person sequences where you're just watching, it's undercutting what I think the campaign does really well: Gameplay. When they actually give you control, the deliberate pacing found in the first few chapters is a lot of fun, and I think they could create a real atmospheric stunner if they'd just back off and let me do my thing. The game would be much stronger if it took the Uncharted 2 approach of having an extended period of real time events with no cutaways or time skips. Chapter 3 gave me Half Life/Riddick vibes, and I loved it for that. Long stretches of "dirty work" punctuated with small, intense enemy encounters, a weird droning electronic soundtrack, and great lighting. They should do a TON more of that.

The multiplayer in this game is simply PHENOMENAL. Like, better than Killzone 2 levels of greatness here.

I just got done playing nothing but multiplayer the entire day and it brings back wonderful memories of how good this series can be as a pure mechanics driven shooter, which in the world of CoDs and BFs these days, seems to be something that's a bit of a rarity unfortunately.

Some were concerned about the recoil and weapon balancing, and I'm absolutely thrilled at what they've established here. It's hard to tell from videos, but the feeling of "punchy" weapons from KZ2 is back, and the lack of auto-aim means that the level of skill here has risen dramatically as well. Recoil is just perfect, I have to feather my shots in order to aim accurately, and it may appear a bit subtle in some of the videos but due to the lack of auto aim the recoil does have a major impact on the gunplay and weapon balancing.

This is not a game where whoever sees who first gets the kill, this requires a lot of skill, a lot of team work, and there's very little bullshit like mechs to fuck it up. The level design are great too, but I'd enjoy it if a few more were just a tad bigger.

The graphics on display are sublime. 1080p and 60 fps makes a massive difference, and thanks to the vastly improved DS4 analog sticks, this is the also the best playing killzone to date, control wise. Everything feels weighty, yet responsive, precise, and requiring skill. Loving the engaging gun battles I'm getting into! Everyone saying the gunplay is top-tier are absolutely correct. The gunplay is UNMATCHED in my opinion. It's simply fantastic.

Yeah this is going to be my go-to shooter for a long time. Guerrilla nailed it. Congrats to Gurrilla Games and multiplayer designer Eric Boltjes for delivering an amazing launch title that I hope has good word of mouth and tie ratio with PS4 owners.

Bring on the free DLC! Hope to see Salamun market in there.

Damn, you guys are making the wait really hard. These are impressions from just the last two pages. Evidently the negative impressions are very few and far between. But James Sawyer Ford's post is the one that kills me. KZ2 was one of my fave multiplayer games ever, and he's comparing Shadow Fall's MP to it? No just no. I refuse to believe it lol.

nib95

Banned
I hate being the hypocrite on this but:

no-no-no-HELL-NO.gif

BF4 has some great FX and post-processing -- but that's about it. If you really pay attention to the 2 games, you can see that KZ:SF is doing a lot more DX11 features than BF4. The area lights, soft shadows and SSR are pretty much unmatched.. The environment lighting is crazy good too. Character models, environment models, skin, textures, lens flares, etc.. are all on par with BF4.

Damn VFX. Have you taken any captures yet? or the capture compression putting you off?

Yeah, thanks for quoting all that nib95, I feel much better waiting now ;).

Yea I'm sorry lol. But at least pain coupled with excitement is better than the former just on it's own :p

Dinjooh

Will have to wait two more weeks to play this, but i'm playing around with Custom Warzones now. The option "Spawn Waves" On/Off, does that make it classic style where you have the wipe out the whole enemy team before they can spawn again?

I'm sooo going to make a 12v12 only scout, with cloaks - knife fight.

IcyEyes

I don't know. This game (and Knack) make me wonder what the funk are wrong with some reviewer.

Killzone Shadowfall is nowhere a 6 to 8 game. It's a *lot* better, with an awesome MP and a very, very nice SP.

OT
Knack is a pretty nice game. Nothing mind blowing, but a pretty, nice and solid game.
/OT

The truth ?
Don't let the reviewer guide your choice.
Like most of you, I'm having a blast with this game and this is what matters.

codhand

even though it aint 60fps, the framerate is much better than it is in Knack. i liked being lost for 30 second stretches, so far so good.

I don't know. This game (and Knack) make me wonder what the funk are wrong with some reviewer.

Killzone Shadowfall is nowhere a 6 to 8 game. It's a *lot* better, with an awesome MP and a very, very nice SP.

OT
Knack is a pretty nice game. Nothing mind blowing, but a pretty, nice and solid game.
/OT

The truth ?
Don't let the reviewer guide your choice.
Like most of you, I'm having a blast with this game and this is what matters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
even though it aint 60fps, the framerate is much better than it is in Knack. i liked being lost for 30 second stretches, so far so good.

I like hearing comments of getting lost as that is something completely lacking in modern shooters.

codhand

stabbing fools has that Far Cry 3, sticky feel, where you just have to be in the general vicinity of an enemy to perform one, works nicely

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I keep dying. The open endedness has me confused about what I should be doing at some points.

I thought I was a better gamer than this... maybe not.

Jburton

Banned
Those wondering how Polygon scored it so low only need to know that Arthur Gies hates the franchise and has stated this publicly.

The fact that most outlets are sitting around 8 put of 10 shows you how out of whack his score is.

Can't wait to play this game, very jealous of you all.

nib95

Banned
Those wondering how Polygon scored it so low only need to know that Arthur Gies hates the franchise and has stated this publicly.

The fact that most outlets are sitting around 8 put of 10 shows you how out of whack his score is.

Can't wait to play this game, very jealous of you all.

It's not just that though, he also barely touched the multiplayer. I believe he said he didn't need to because he'd already "experimented" with it. Which is a sorry state of affairs to say the least, given the multiplayer is the games bread and butter.

Jburton

Banned
It's not just that though, he also barely touched the multiplayer. I believe he said he didn't need to because he'd already "experimented" with it. Which is a sorry state of affairs to say the least, given the multiplayer is the games bread and butter.

Yep, guy is not fit for purpose ........ pretty much a joke.

I wonder if Polygon keep him around for the clicks?

GodofWine

I've only played a little of the campaign, but its really really solid.

AND

Hard...my god I keep dying, I really think this turned off a few of our less resilient reviewers, the Toronto Newspaper for sure (Whaaaaa I died..please).

Graphics are stellar.

Multiplayer will make a man (or woman) out of you, aiming is precise and doable, but the lack of auto aim, it will make you become a better player (if you go back to COD after this...for a reason I cannot imagine...you should feel like a god as it holds your hands and locks on for you). I did feel like I was pumping dudes with bullets only to be instakilled, but I usually aim low for some reason, so I probably have myself to blame for leg shots.

But its really really good, I just have to get used to all the new menus and such.

nib95

Banned
Yep, guy is not fit for purpose ........ pretty much a joke.

I wonder if Polygon keep him around for the clicks?

After all the idiotic things he's said and done, it wouldn't surprise me. The guy who charged Gies with reviewing Killzone knew he disliked (hated?) the franchise, which just makes the whole thing even more shady. But that's fine, nobody really takes Polygon serious anyway.

Jarmel

Banned
On Chapter 8. Story is fucking awful. Unless GG hires new writers, I'm gonna have tone down any expectations I have from them. Gameplay-wise, end of level 7 is ridiculous and not in a good way. Just throwing insane numbers of enemies at you wave after wave. Probably the hardest part of the game so far. Overall it's not that difficult.

Certain segments of this game kinda drag the fuck on when they should have been cut in half or a third.

rdrr gnr

On Chapter 8. Story is fucking awful. Unless GG hires new writers, I'm gonna have tone down any expectations I have from them. Gameplay-wise, end of level 7 is ridiculous and not in a good way. Just throwing insane numbers of enemies at you wave after wave. Probably the hardest part of the game so far. Overall it's not that difficult.

Certain segments of this game kinda drag the fuck on when they should have been cut in half or a third.
The story is atrocious. Like, unbelievably generic. It saddens me every time. All I want to do is read the official timeline and just wallow in how incompetent this industry is when it comes to narrative. How can you have such intricate lore and ignore it almost entirely for a cast of forgettable military characters. Any time themes are addressed they are approached in a trite manner -- particularly the exchanges between the protagonist (whatever the fuck his name is) and the chick (whatever the fuck her name is). It's a regurgitation of the same old platitudes you find in every fucking war shooter.

SpeedNut

Anyone else have issues not getting their preorder bonus content code from Amazon? Didn't get to KZ yet and it's staring me in the face, but I really want dat soundtrack. I tried their Customer service and they keep trying to send me promo credits that I got for getting FIFA...

I really like the multiplayer so far but feel that the guns are a bit too easy to use and the director voices for each faction lack any of the personality of KZ2 (can't really remember 3) -It makes the mission structure a bit bland. The game also won't save my sound settings so I have to reset my system to "small" every time I start up the game otherwise I get almost no sound.

The maps seem really well designed, movement feels good, graphics are very good, lighting is amazing and that 60 frames... so good! The HUD was a bit confusing at first and I have become so conditioned to unlocking guns that having them all from the beginning is actually a bit overwhelming (a good thing)!

I would say the pace is a bit faster than KZ2 and it definitely has a lighter feel, and gunplay is much much easier (aiming, turning, acquiring targets quickly, and guns are accurate at long range when you just hold the trigger down). I haven't explored the classes very much but I will miss the sab. Health seems to be around KZ2 levels and default regen is quick enough, but not too quick.

Jarmel

Banned
The story is atrocious. Like, unbelievably generic. It saddens me every time. All I want to do is read the official timeline and just wallow in how incompetent this industry is when it comes to narrative. How can you have such intricate lore and ignore it almost entirely for a cast of forgettable military characters. Any time themes are addressed they are approached in a trite manner -- particularly the exchanges between the protagonist (whatever the fuck his name is) and the chick (whatever the fuck her name is). It's a regurgitation of the same old platitudes you find in every fucking war shooter.

Yea the story is pretty much Riley shit. Lucas must be the most incompetent black ops agent ever. The themes are smacked over your head with a mallet. I do get the sense that they tried on a directing and voice acting level but the writing is so unbelievably flat.

The mad scientist lady in chapter 7 is just poor writing.

Top Bottom