• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just not feeling it. I'm about to chapter 8 and I'm struggling to stay interested enough to finish it. At this point what's most frustrating is the level design, and how I'm often struggling to figure out which way to go. Trying to discern which doors I can open and which I can't - because they practically look identical. Which control panels Owl should or shouldn't hack. Usually it ends up being a hand-print panel somewhere...

Jesus Christ, all of this! This game really makes me feel like a moron the entire time I'm playing it. Not only do I suck at aiming no matter what I do with the sensitivity, but I'm constantly finding myself confused as to where to go or what to do. Chapter 3 on the space ship was not a lick of fun at all. Just a dark-ass ship with arbitrarily closed-off paths. I just about lost my shit when you were shooting out window shielding to melt people with the rays of the sun only for you to jump into space shortly after and somehow not be affected by the heat at all. Such logical inconsistency like that really bothers me.

I also dislike how much I find myself depending on the sonar thing just because I can't make out enemies for shit without it. I find myself running forward a bit, using sonar, running forward a bit, using sonar, repeat, repeat, repeat... it's really kind of a slog. I only played Killzone 2 before this, but it seems like the enemies are far less interesting in both behavior and animation. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

It's a very nice looking game, but I can't say I'm having much fun with it. I usually don't play a whole lot of FPS games online, but I might have to try it out in this game, because I'm not getting much out of the single player campaign.

Well have any of you guys tested out the party system?

If you're in a PS4 party chat group, when the leader of the party joins a match, everyone gets an invite. I was playing with a 5 person party earlier and it worked pretty well. That's no excuse for the game not to have it's own party system, but it's a decent workaround.

zedge

Good looking game. Just put two hours into the multiplayer and it's very impressive, except......

I'm lost as shit and not entirely clear what to do for some of the modes or how to use the abilities.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but......

WHY THE FUCK DON'T PEOPLE WEAR MICS!?!?

There's nothing worse than shooters where no one is working together or even trying to communicate. I don't know if it's all those years of Socom over a decade ago, but it drives me crazy when everyone is running every which way without even attempting to coordinate something. It's part of the reason I've never gotten into Battlefield. I've always found it to just be a chaotic mess.

Look a couple posts back. No ingame chat apparently.

Most of the people said it's great (or at least pretty good) and I agree with them.

Its definitely better than average. Compared to other recent FPSs not called Bioshock its much better than average. I think the problem is the pacing. It starts of a bit slow and vague but everything starts to fall into place in Chapter 4. Killzone 2 had this great intro sequence and opened on a huge high. This one is more of a slow burner.

kazebyaka

Banned
Good looking game. Just put two hours into the multiplayer and it's very impressive, except......

I'm lost as shit and not entirely clear what to do for some of the modes or how to use the abilities.

There's nothing worse than shooters where no one is working together or even trying to communicate. I don't know if it's all those years of Socom over a decade ago, but it drives me crazy when everyone is running every which way without even attempting to coordinate something. It's part of the reason I've never gotten into Battlefield. I've always found it to just be a chaotic mess.
I always play shooters with Mute ON for everybody. I don't care for teamwork, i'm just here to shoot shit.

_Isaac

There seems to be no in-game chat. You have to use the party system.

rdrr gnr

I agree. From the comments in here you'd think it was atrocious but for a military shooter it's fine. The cutscene direction is also far, far better than the previous games.
What exactly did you like about it? Also, "fine" for a military shooter is a pretty terrible standard.

GQman2121

Banned
Look a couple posts back. No ingame chat apparently.

I always play shooters with Mute ON for everybody. I don't care for teamwork, i'm just here to shoot shit.

There seems to be no in-game chat. You have to use the party system.

tumblr_inline_mkbomxrFMs1qz4rgp.gif

WTF?

Include a mic with every system.

No in-game chat.....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What exactly did you like about it? Also, "fine" for a military shooter is a pretty terrible standard.
I wasn't exactly complementing it. I just play a lot of shooters and know the stories are usually bullshit. This at least is trying to integrate some of the cool lore of the series. I just don't think it's a game ruiner like some are making it out to be. With FPS I play them for the shooting mechanics, which this does well, not the story. I'm not done, the story could get worse but I don't hate it.

WalkerWatch

Neo Member
I am only on chapter 4-5 of the single player campaign, so while I cannot speak to it to much, I can say I am really enjoying multiplayer quite a lot. Beautiful and fluid with pretty well-designed maps. Love the default warzone as well; great amounts of variation keep a constant energy to each match.

Caveat: This is my first Killzone game. Yes, I know I am bad and should feel bad.

Grinchy

Banned
Holy shit. There isn't in-game chat??

I was playing with my brother and was in a party with him so I just assumed we couldn't hear people because we had our own party chat going on. Whenever I have played alone, I wouldn't hear a peep out of anyone and just assumed people didn't know they had a free mic. Wow. I never would have thought that the game didn't have in-game chat. Crazy.

KalBalboa

Banned
Ok, I just got through most of chapter 4.

This game got substantially better in chapter 3 for me. I'm leaning towards holding onto it and finish it up. I still think the first hour is bogus and could've been a bit tighter, but man... it finally got somewhere and clicked for me.

So I jacked my sensitivity up to 100 after struggling big time yesterday (at 60%). It's still slow but wwaayy more fluid. Add the sprint & a SMG and I started to dominate. Exciting after I was so bummed the past few days

Well after progressing a bit further in the single player and a few games of multiplayer its really starting to click. I'm certainly enjoying it and looking forward to more play.

I liked chapter 3 a lot. The sun mechanic was really cool except at the end where I turned into a god and the sun nor space could kill me.

Ok, I just got through most of chapter 4.

This game got substantially better in chapter 3 for me. I'm leaning towards holding onto it and finish it up. I still think the first hour is bogus and could've been a bit tighter, but man... it finally got somewhere and clicked for me.

I'm really curious to see what you think by the end. I just wrapped it up, but I thought it was amazing from the start. I think a quarter of my deaths were in the second to last chapter. I think half were in the last battle :p GG trololol hard every game I guess. I flashed back to Radec a couple times.

I liked chapter 3 a lot. The sun mechanic was really cool except the end where I turn to a god and the sun nor space can kill me.
Its cause the windows are slightly convex against space so its the magnifying glass effect!

DoomGyver

I just finished the SP, I'd say overall it was good, not KZ2 solid, but good.

I don't understand the comments saying the SP is hard, it's no where near KZ2 levels of difficulty. Use the OWL all of the time and you'll be fine.

kurbaan

Banned
Just got to Chapter 7. Man the last 2 chapters really great. Im so baffled at the negative reviews.

One thing that really annoys me though is the story because there is no transition betweein missions. It ends and then like suddenly you have a seizure and its the start of the next one. Story is ok though but dont really care for any characters but I do like Echo. Main character needs some personality.

Also this game needs some more weapons or distinct weapons, I hate how it forces you to use that default shadow marshall gun for most missions so you can only switch out the second weapon. And most of the weapons so far have been like pretty regular, I guess im spoiled by expecting Resistance type variety.

For people who have finished it how many more chapters are there?

DoomGyver

Just got to Chapter 7. Man the last 2 chapters really great. Im so baffled at the negative reviews.

One thing that really annoys me though is the story because there is no transition betweein missions. It ends and then like suddenly you have a seizure and its the start of the next one. Story is ok though but dont really care for any characters but I do like Echo. Main character needs some personality.

Also this game needs some more weapons or distinct weapons, I hate how it forces you to use that default shadow marshall gun for most missions so you can only switch out the second weapon. And most of the weapons so far have been like pretty regular, I guess im spoiled by expecting Resistance type variety.

For people who have finished it how many more chapters are there?

You have two or three chapters to go.
No Radec-like boss fight?

Nothing even close to the awesome Radec fight. The boss fights in this one are sub-par.

Baliis

Just finished the campaign. I enjoyed it but I think id agree with the reviews. Looks pretty, but there are some god awful sections. I think the "free fall" sections were some of the stupidest things I've ever played in a game until like the 15th time id died and finally figured out the controls a bit for them.

Story was pretty nonsense as well, but I wasn't expecting much.

This is just....wha?

What were they thinking?

Honestly this is the sh*t GG never gets right. They are technical wizards and put all their resources into making the best graphical showcase but when it comes to little things like proper squad system, chat, load times etc...they f* up on these things.

Get your sh*t together GG...this is 2013.

Evo X

How can a MP game in 2013 not have in-game chat? Also found the MP menu to be confusing. It seems I couldn't start a lobby with my friend for matchmaking or private games with bots.

Despite it's faults, I still had fun in the few games I played. If anyone wants to play together, add me on PSN. Tag is DemonFang343.

Like many modern shooters, when Killzone: SF actually lets you play the damn game it's pretty great. But when you are forced to follow someone and can't get by them, endure the pretty but tritely written cutscenes, or when the game takes over and automatically walks you around and makes you look at stuff with no control over movement or looking it is absolutely excruciating.

I really wish some games didn't revel in taking control from you. It basically ensures I'll never play the game through again, maybe just some of my favorite levels here and there.

I've played KZ2, KZ3, and Mercenaries. I am on Chapter 5 in SF right now and so far I am enjoying it. Story is serviceable but nothing special, I think the premise of it is good but the execution (acting and direction) are kind of poorly done. Agree with posters who say it's fun when you're shooting, but annoying when you can't do anything.

I feel that in their attempt to "open up" the level design, it's made it confusing. I'm often running around lost and confused, not sure if I'm just...stupid?

At this point I'd give it a 7/10.

MC_Hify

I asked this before without answer...I have the shadow pack preorder bonus, and I input the code into the PS Store to get the OWL skins and multiplayer move. It was supposed to come with the game's official soundtrack, but I have no idea how to go about getting it. Didn't download in the list of stuff, and I didn't get a physical disc from Amazon with the soundtrack.

Anyone manage to find it? Would really love giving the soundtrack a spin, some awesome stuff in there.

I've got the same problem, I redeemed the code but the network connection failed before I could download the preorder crap and I can't figure out how to download it. There's no download list as far as I can tell.

Ellite25

Just wanted to say that the way the audio logs play through the controller is really cool. Few very immersive, like you're actually holding it in your hands.

ultron87

I hate everything that this fucking single player campaign represents after three levels. It's so terrible.

Just a bunch of nonsense dudes for no reason who kill you out of nowhere.

Admittedly I've had several beers, so I dunno dawg.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I hate everything that this fucking single player campaign represents after three levels. It's so terrible.

lol wut?
Its killzone. KILLzone.

Because Sony in all of their brilliance has almost no headsets compatible so myself and others have to decide between headphones or the crappy pack-in mic. And since I'd get a knock at my door if I was blasting Killzone mp at 2am, I'm choosing the headphones.

I was eh on the forest level, liked the openness but it had its problems, absolutely loved 3,4 and 5 and now I got stuck in one part at 6 and it's just eh. Still though, levels 3 and 4 especially, hnnng.

annnnnnnnnd double post, time for sleep

CoolNumber9

Crazy it doesn't have in-game chat! I never realized it, I've only played the MP in a party. They thought, whats the best way to cut down the stupid people running their mouths.....take out chat. lol. I would never notice anyway as I keep everybody muted if I'm playing a MP shooter by myself, but still crazy!!

Everdred

I played for 2 hours and never realized there was no chat. That saddens me greatly. I love chatting with randoms and can't help but feel like that with destroy the online community.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I'm confused. Are you saying I shouldn't care about single player because Killzone is in that class that live on their MP tech games? Because I've never seen them as that, but I could I guess.

No, I just thought it was funny talking about what KZ represented, cause you're right, the story and themes are ass, but its just a fun game where you kill stuff, and I thought the title accurately represented that.

Top Bottom