• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

LtOrange

Make sure to tweet the Devs that in-game chat needs to be added. The more pressure we put on them the better chance we have at getting a fix.

Also, anyone else finding that in multiplayer:

1.) The default dot is the best scope option like 95% of the time?

and

2.) It sometimes can be rather difficult to see your target among all the muzzle flashing and sun shining and shit?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm further along in the SP campaign and I have to say, the lighting in this game is absolutely amazing.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, the graphics are just fucking insane when you get to (relatively far in, not sure what chapter)
the Helghan side of the world. I kept getting killed at the beginning because I was staring at character models.
There are definitely some parts that look better than others, but overall, this is easily the best looking game I've ever played.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Also, anyone else finding that in multiplayer:

1.) The default dot is the best scope option like 95% of the time?

and

2.) It sometimes can be rather difficult to see your target among all the muzzle flashing and sun shining and shit?

Yes to 1, the next holographic thing you unlock sucks and it seems to increase recoil(?)
No to 2, I find i'm having more problems with map lighting and people hiding in the dark.

FroJay

Banned
Just completed the campaign. Had to cheat and see a walkthrough of the final chapter to know what to do exactly. It was a fun little experience! Jaw dropping graphics throughout. Now on to the multiplayer.

Raptomex

Am I the only one who thinks the SP was just okay, not great? I feel both KZ 2 and 3 have much better SP experiences with KZ 2 still being my favorite in the series. I miss the memorable large scale battles. Bullets flying everywhere, warzone type stuff, etc. I also feel like I spent more time navigating than shooting. With that said the shooting is still phenomenal and my god this game is gorgeous.

Bollocks

WTF?

Include a mic with every system.

No in-game chat.....

Like really, will still pick up the game come EU launch but to ship without in game chat is bullshit.

Haven't they said at the PS4 announcement/E3 that they are done and just tweaking stuff?
How can you not implement that shit .
Will still hope for a patch

FroJay

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the SP was just okay, not great? I feel both KZ 2 and 3 have much better SP experiences with KZ 2 still being my favorite in the series. I miss the memorable large scale battles. Bullets flying everywhere, warzone type stuff, etc. I also feel like I spent more time navigating than shooting. With that said the shooting is still phenomenal and my god this game is gorgeous.

Wish I had played other KZ games to compare, but to me there was a bit of wandering especially in the beginning. Definitely not as straightforward as something like COD which pretty much holds your hand the whole way. I enjoyed it except for the first 2 and last 3 chapters. Some of the things they threw in just weren't enjoyable to me. The last level especially, couldn't have done that without a walkthrough or serious hours of frustration trying to figure it out.

I'm looking forward to the multi.

TEH-CJ

Banned

There are no large scale battles? wut!

the ps4 has 8gb of ram and is is significantly more powerful than ps3...and they just have some small skirmishes? What the fuck!

The moment they announced Shadow fall I was the most excited to see how bat shit insane Guerrila can make these battles look on ps4!

I was expecting Killzone 2 bridge battle x 10 on ps4... :(

Grinchy

Banned
It's true that this game does feel more secluded than it probably should. It's not Killzone 2, that's fore sure. But for a game that had to be ready at launch, it gives me hope that they will be able to make a pretty insane game with the next one.

Raptomex

Yeah. This was the first time I couldn't always figure out where to go at first, especially in the early chapters. But I did like the open-like environments. But the whole experience felt like something was missing. They tried all these new things, too. I didn't enjoy a lot of them. I feel like I should have fired my guns a lot more. But as states above, it's a launch game. I can't wait to see some sequels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Chapter 5 was absolutely awesome. Lots of exploration and intimate firefights, multiple routes, and some pretty big fights toward the end. Loved the art direction there as well.

duxstar

So far im really enjoying the SP, more than i thought i would, theres a couple missions that were eh, but i loved the first one, and i came here to say... just got to chapter 7 ...... those graphics ..... next gen is now

ref

I died so many times freefalling...

This.

Also, you're in for some fun
during 'The Dead' mission. That intro is so god damn awful.

Basically given up on trying after to get the beat the game without dying trophy. Those sections will be the bane of my existence.

In regards to the SP, color me disappointed. Level design in my opinion is pretty terrible for the most part, with a few levels in particular that stand out as being pretty good.
The Containment level in the Helghast side was great
Story isn't doing anything for me, seems pretty generic and honestly taking the safe route instead of branching off and really going into some of the awesome back story the series has.

I've played the first 2 missions in SP and I just can't continue...it's just so fucking bad. Why is the pacing boring me to tears? Why is the level design feel both lazy and overwrought? Why does the main character sound like a 16 year old? Why do I have to use this shitty OWL thing? I had the same problem with KZ3 too only I had able to get farther without losing all desire to play. So disappointing because KZ2 has one of the best SP campaigns of any shooter I've ever played.

MP is awesome though. There's not a single bad map in the bunch. I play support with spawn+revive skills because there's nothing more annoying and detrimental to success than good alternative spawn points. I wish there was more people playing though...I wanna try the other modes besides classic but they're ghost towns.

Cheska

Multiplayer continues to amaze me, just love how fun it is with a good group of people. Great games with fellow gaffers, InfectedZero and the rest of the gang :)

nib95

Banned
A few of my fave screens from the screenshots thread.

BZPoOe3CAAAn_Wg.jpg:orig

BZPqls5CQAAtc8v.jpg:orig

arJo68M.jpg

amarectv2013-11-1523-t0ufp.jpg

1466013_323039237835433_1257713993_o.jpg

amarectv2013-11-1523-ftukn.jpg

iO1pVJWCh86xe.png

CoolZombie

I'm really happy that the general consensus is that this is a quality game. I've got it packed in with my machine for the EU launch on the 29th and some of the reviews had me slightly concerned.

Can't wait to try multiplayer either looks fantastic fun.

nib95

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me? a launch game?

lol. wow

From everything I've seen so far, this looks to be one of the most graphically impressive launch titles I've seen in a long, long while. Maybe since Super Mario 64. The graphical improvements from PS3 to PS4 are staggering, contrary to what many predicted would be the case. The future is very bright for the console if it can already muster these sorts of visuals.

Marvel

could never
From everything I've seen so far, this looks to be one of the most graphically impressive launch titles I've seen in a long, long while. Maybe since Super Mario 64. The graphical improvements from PS3 to PS4 are staggering, contrary to what many predicted would be the case. The future is very bright for the console if it can already muster these sorts of visuals.

Most definitely.

Chapters 5 and 6 could've been expanded to be an entire game. Major Riddick/Half Life vibes dripping from those sections. I'm disappointed to hear the the last few chapters aren't as good. I love the pacing of most of chapters 2 through 6. They don't even feel like Killzone games, hell they barely feel like most linear shooters from the last 10 years. I honestly think the game would've been MUCH stronger if it played out totally in real time with the pacing of those chapters throughout, and no huge jumps to massively different missions/settings between chapters. Keep all these same environments, but connect them into one seamless campaign.

I know some people are missing the huge battles from KZ2 and 3, and lord knows I've complained about them going away from the grimdark "future WW2" setting of KZ2, but those chapters of Shadow Fall I listed are honestly more interesting than anything they've ever done with the series IMO. It's the first time I've felt like Guerrilla has the potential to make a truly great FPS campaign if they can get their writing on par with the gunplay and cut down on the restrictive "stuck in place can't do anything but watch" cutscenes.

Mifune

Mehmber
Is it me or were the graphics in the reveal level significantly downgraded since the Playstation Meeting? Something about the fly-over and walking around before the explosion just looked...off. Maybe it's the different color tint.

nib95

Banned
Is it me or were the graphics in the reveal level significantly downgraded since the Playstation Meeting? Something about the fly-over and walking around before the explosion just looked...off. Maybe it's the different color tint.

GG mentioned they actually improved the lighting. But who knows. It's so different in colour palette and look that it very well could just be a preference thing.

They got rid of the pop ups and added tmaa, so the graphics were upgraded

nOoblet16

I've always assumed it was a good thing to not have an arrow or a marker pointing out exactly where you need to go and have colour coded objects and doors that you have to interact with, but I'm a bit confused seeing people complaining about not knowing where to go and what to do (even though it isn't an open world game and the objectives tell you what to do). Is this a side effect of being accustomed to modern shooters or is it just that it isn't the most optimal way to go about and design a mission?

Bollocks

A few of my fave screens from the screenshots thread.

BZPoOe3CAAAn_Wg.jpg:orig

BZPqls5CQAAtc8v.jpg:orig

arJo68M.jpg

amarectv2013-11-1523-t0ufp.jpg

1466013_323039237835433_1257713993_o.jpg

amarectv2013-11-1523-ftukn.jpg

iO1pVJWCh86xe.png
I'm more amazed by the fact that at the end of this gen we will look back at those screenshots ans say god damn that looks ugly
Just like when you look at PS3 launch titles now, amazing at launch, terrible now
I don't even want to think about how PS4 titles look down the road.

Jobbs

Banned
Played 5 chapters now (I think).

Thoughts...

1) Mission structure feels like a mix of old and new school. not sure if that's good or not yet.
The space mission was pretty cool, I kept hoping zombies would be around the corner. it never happened. All that talk of infections for nothing.

2) Graphics are nice, like a nice looking PC game. It's getting hard for a game to impress in terms of its graphics, though. I'm very desensitized by having a decent PC. A game needs excellence in art in combination with graphics to ever really impress, and KZ is at its best when the art and graphics come together really well on frame. At its worst KZ can look a bit ho hum.

3) My biggest complain is for all the time and effort and money people spend making really detailed games and characters with really detailed faces, few games make any attempt at actual damage and impact from bullets. I'm not suggesting that every game needs to be a splatterfest like Gears of War, but shooting people in Killzone feels like I'm spraying them with a garden hose. It's completely unsatisfying. I understand a game turns a bit dark and/or comical if it's just endless dismemberment and gore; There must be some happy medium. The garden hose shit ain't covering it.

Random thought, I think they're doing some trickery like enabling/disabling different effects or AA or something to maintain a framerate. Take the famous returning hero mission from the february unveiling, where you fly aorund the city and land. Shortly before the explosions, it seemed like everyone suddenly got jaggy and less detailed.

I'm more amazed by the fact that at the end of this gen we will look back at those screenshots ans say god damn that looks ugly
Just like when you look at PS3 launch titles now, amazing at launch, terrible now
I don't even want to think about how PS4 titles look down the road.

I think we have got beyond the stage where games look bad though. Crysis, Uncharted 2 and GoW 3 all still look damn good.

I think we have got beyond the stage where games look bad though. Crysis, Uncharted 2 and GoW 3 all still look damn good.

None of those games are very old, except Crysis which was only for high end PCs. His point was that this

Look like shit compared to games that came out on the PS3 and 360 years after their release.

if bold is true that isnt it better to play on a 720p tv ?
There might be fewer jaggies, but you are still seeing fewer pixels than if it was 1080p.

nib95

Banned
if bold is true that isnt it better to play on a 720p tv ?

It's always better to play in the native resolution of your screen. Otherwise you'll get blurring from up up-scale and lose some detail. Obviously playing a 1080p game down scaled to 720p on a 720p native screen is better than it playing native 720p. The reason being that the down-sample cleans up the image. But if you have a 1080p native screen, 1080p is always going to look better than 720p.

Fezan

It's always better to play in the native resolution of your screen. Otherwise you'll get blurring from up up-scale and lose some detail. Obviously playing a 1080p game down scaled to 720p on a 720p native screen is better than it playing native 720p. The reason being that the down-sample cleans up the image. But if you have a 1080p native screen, 1080p is always going to look better than 720p.

Thanks for clarification. I have both tv 1080p is plasma but i never liked playing on it. my New bravia is much better for gaming but its only 720p

nib95

Banned
Thanks for clarification. I have both tv 1080p is plasma but i never liked playing on it. my New bravia is much better for gaming but its only 720p

The Bravia is probably just a better screen. Have you tried calibrating the plasma, or playing around with the settings? What size are both the TV's?

GodofWine

I woke up this morning and remain shocked that there is no open chat in game. Please continue hammering these guys on twitter and official forums.

Your games will look just fine on the 720p TV, 1080p is optimal but I can tell you that you will have zero problems with the image quality of PS4 games on a 720p TV.
Well that is assuming that the TV is around 32 inches or smaller and/or you aren't sitting RIGHT in front of it, but that is just 720p TVs in general. Mine is 32 inches and I sit about 6-7 feet away and it looks crystal clear.

Top Bottom