• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Jesus Christ, all of this! This game really makes me feel like a moron the entire time I'm playing it. Not only do I suck at aiming no matter what I do with the sensitivity, but I'm constantly finding myself confused as to where to go or what to do. Chapter 3 on the space ship was not a lick of fun at all. Just a dark-ass ship with arbitrarily closed-off paths. I just about lost my shit when you were shooting out window shielding to melt people with the rays of the sun only for you to jump into space shortly after and somehow not be affected by the heat at all. Such logical inconsistency like that really bothers me.

I also dislike how much I find myself depending on the sonar thing just because I can't make out enemies for shit without it. I find myself running forward a bit, using sonar, running forward a bit, using sonar, repeat, repeat, repeat... it's really kind of a slog. I only played Killzone 2 before this, but it seems like the enemies are far less interesting in both behavior and animation. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

It's a very nice looking game, but I can't say I'm having much fun with it. I usually don't play a whole lot of FPS games online, but I might have to try it out in this game, because I'm not getting much out of the single player campaign.

+1
Completely agree. Spent last evening on the ship and it was so tedious. Every door looks the same! 20 mins putting those energy things into the floor to open doors. And the sonar is strange. Why they don't have a continuous radar or objective marker on EASY mode is annoying. Walk-sonar-walk-sonar.

Jobbs

Banned
+1
Completely agree. Spent last evening on the ship and it was so tedious. Every door looks the same! 20 mins putting those energy things into the floor to open doors. And the sonar is strange. Why they don't have a continuous radar or objective marker on EASY mode is annoying. Walk-sonar-walk-sonar.

I didn't mention how long I spent wandering around before figuring out how to get into the generator room, I was embarrassed, but I guess I'm not the only one who is frequently confused in this game. :)

I also fucking hate how in many cases enemies spawn or "arrive" so unpredictably, from any direction -- or at least seem to.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I am getting angry at this game, just based on my 5 chapters so far. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

I don't know what chapter it was but when you have to fight all those walkers with the ATAC's and a bunch of foot soldiers just killed my fps to the point it was sub 20.

If it was at least 30fps the whole battle would have been more enjoyable.

Fezan

The Bravia is probably just a better screen. Have you tried calibrating the plasma, or playing around with the settings? What size are both the TV's?

Yeah i even used Images provided by AVS forum to properly calibrate it as it had tons of options. Its 50inch LG plasma but its 2010 model. It either crushes blacks or brightens the area too much. Also Response time even tough advertised as 0.01ms yet still noticeable . My bravia is 32 inch and its low end but looks really nice. i didn't even properly calibrated it just turned on the game mode and voila everything looked perfect. Being edge lit led the viewing angles are narrow and there is slight bleeding effect when viewed from an angle but its in my room where no one will disturb me. so its my main gaming tv now.
Also Image processing are much better on bravia and watching sd content is toreable which look pretty bad on my LG.

Your games will look just fine on the 720p TV, 1080p is optimal but I can tell you that you will have zero problems with the image quality of PS4 games on a 720p TV.
Well that is assuming that the TV is around 32 inches or smaller and/or you aren't sitting RIGHT in front of it, but that is just 720p TVs in general. Mine is 32 inches and I sit about 6-7 feet away and it looks crystal clear.

I haven't even decided yet that if i will get ps4 on launch or not. Have a strong gaming pc. recently bought vita.Yesterday got my family a wii and have yet to play tons of ps3 and indie games. Also my launch console never last even tough i take very good care f them. so will most probably wait till next year and may at that time even get a new TV

I didn't mention how long I spent wandering around before figuring out how to get into the generator room, I was embarrassed, but I guess I'm not the only one who is frequently confused in this game. :)

I also fucking hate how in many cases enemies spawn or "arrive" so unpredictably, from any direction -- or at least seem to.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I am getting angry at this game, just based on my 5 chapters so far. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

This venting is very therapeutic for me :) but yes the spawning is annoying!!! Coupled with those alarms you have to shut off - this is not for me. Too frustrated.

MP population seems kind of low for a new title. Anyone else concerned?
No.. The population will only grow til xmas.. Its the lowest it will be from here til then. Expect a steady climb and a big jump on Christmas day.. Then probably a steady decline. This is a new console not just a new game

taoofjord

Just got to the fourth mission... Sweet god this game is mind blowingly gorgeous. Both technically and artistically.

The campaign is also quite fun. It does feel like it was rushed for launch due to how the missions and story jump all over the place, but the gameplay is great. I hope we get another Killzone that further develops on this game, such as the more open levels. I really like the OWL, too. It was a fun companion during the third mission. I'm always deploying it in attack mode so it sort of follows me around.

These graphics...how...

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

Concept17

Single player is absolutely awesome.

I love how so many people find it confusing. The game is incredibly refreshing in its openness. The third mission everyone gets stuck on is actually quite easy to navigate imo.

It's such a nice change of pace from other shooters, especially BF and CoD. This isn't a rollercoaster ride, and all for the better. Also the audio/music combined with the atmosphere in this game is in a league of its own.

I've been nothing but blown away by both the SP and MP. Absolutely do not understand review scores at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Single player is absolutely awesome.

I love how so many people find it confusing. The game is incredibly refreshing in its openness. The third mission everyone gets stuck on is actually quite easy to navigate imo.

It's such a nice change of pace from other shooters, especially BF and CoD. This isn't a rollercoaster ride, and all for the better. Also the audio/music combined with the atmosphere in this game is in a league of its own.

I've been nothing but blown away by both the SP and MP. Absolutely do not understand review scores at all.

I do find the level layouts a bit confusing sometimes, but that doesn't bother me. I think what's bothering me is the basic gunplay. It feels like a limp garden hose instead of a *gun*.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I do find the level layouts a bit confusing sometimes, but that doesn't bother me. I think what's bothering me is the basic gunplay. It feels like a limp garden hose instead of a *gun*.

WAT

Are you just using the default gun? Pick up a Keyser or a pump action shotgun. Those guns have some serious punch.

See I really like the openness of the game which many are finding confusing. Goes to show how folks have gotten used to linear one direction fps shooters. I really love the parts of the game that are open and have multiple paths to go. The space ship section people keep mentioning, I loved that, and it had a bunch of extra stuff you could find be exploring the ship. Some parts of the game are also a bit more platform/puzzle in nature where you have multiple ways to go and get to your destination.

I can see people finding this boring when they are used to the constant go go go shoot shoot of modern military shooters. But I find it really refreshing here.

Jobbs

Banned
See I really like the openness of the game which many are finding confusing. Goes to show how folks have gotten used to linear one direction fps shooters. I really love the parts of the game that are open and have multiple paths to go. The space ship section people keep mentioning, I loved that, and it had a bunch of extra stuff you could find be exploring the ship. Some parts of the game are also a bit more platform/puzzle in nature where you have multiple ways to go and get to your destination.

I can see people finding this boring when they are used to the constant go go go shoot shoot of modern military shooters. But I find it really refreshing here.

Let's not go crazy here. It's not that big and open; Each area is rather small at the end of the day. And right in the first level there's a spot with the cleaved building where you are auto-killed if you step onto the ground which looks like you should be able to stand on. This game is still very guided, just because it's not as moronic as call of duty doesn't mean it deserves a medal for it.

edit: saying COD is moronic may be a bit strong. it's not moronic. but the level design isn't known for leaving anything to exploration. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I agree. I can understand why people wouldn't like it but it's something I'm a big fan of.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, I really enjoyed the space ship and some of the downtime you got in that level to just look around and explore. You'e not just being shoved through a meat grinder like a lot of shooters.

These graphics...how...

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg
Thats been my take throughout, single player and multiplayer.

I have some small gripes but for the most part I'm loving this. I also appreciate the non-linearity of the levels, but that doesn't excuse the game not making its objectives clear enough. I had to rely upon that objective waypoint toggle way, way too much.

jwbrown77

I saw
freefall
mentioned earlier in the thread.

I just did it at the beginning of chapter 7. Was it supposed to be hard? I literally did it on first try?

Raven77

Reposting my questions from a few pages back.

Okay I'm really really confused...

I keep seeing people post screenshots. My game simply doesn't look the same in some aspects.

1. The shadows in my game have a very "last-gen" feel to them, jagged with that ugly blocky-ness to them.

2. The rain in my game does NOT look like the rain in the tech trailer from earlier this week. Its basically pure white streaks like in the other video that people latched onto and discussed for 100 pages. Doesn't really matter to much to me but seems odd.

Is there a patch or something that I may have accidentally skipped?

george_us

I'm on Chapter 4 (haven't had much time to play this weekend) and I'm REALLY not getting all the "SP is boring" complaints. It seems like reviewers were angry that this isn't a set piece filled shooting gallery despite them saying they're tired of it. I also personally like the fact that the game doesn't completely hold my hand where to go. Despite it's amazing graphics, the game almost feels like an old school FPS which I love personally. Probably the weirdest complaint I have is how they say that the OWL is underutilized. I use that motherfucker all the damn time.

Let's not go crazy here. It's not that big and open; Each area is rather small at the end of the day. And right in the first level there's a spot with the cleaved building where you are auto-killed if you step onto the ground which looks like you should be able to stand on. This game is still very guided, just because it's not as moronic as call of duty doesn't mean it deserves a medal for it.

edit: saying COD is moronic may be a bit strong. it's not moronic. but the level design isn't known for leaving anything to exploration. :)

Im not saying it's giant open world where you can do anything, but it's far more open than what has become standard shooter nowadays. It feels more old school in the sense of it still being confined, but without being on a rail. Like on the space ship again, you have secret areas you can find, collectibles to encounter with fluff pieces, your destinations have multiple directions you can take to get there. Its similar to older pc shooters like Doom and such where you had an objective, it was linear, but I wasn't forced down a cinematic corridor.

Cheap deaths, yea that is another issue with the game, as it does have lot of that and combat is quite deadly. You can be killed before you even spot the enemy.

kurahadol

Quick multiplayer question, is there anything that warns me if I'm nearing or stepping into an enemy spawn camp? Being unfamiliar with the maps can cause me to just run into rooms and then get raked down by that enemy camp turret. I feel like the addition of a hologram wall in the area would make things so much better.

IndustryX

From reading some impressions it's seems many inexperienced fps players aren't enjoying the SP as much when compared to most experienced players who seem to love the different level design from past corridor shooters. I personally love the change of pace and if you get stuck just hit up on the D pad and look for the objective.. Haven't been stuck yet personally.

A little bit of challenge makes a game that much more satisfying Imo. I don't always want my hand held the entire way, going through wave after wave of enemy and set piece (most fps) .

GlassCity

Banned
Jesus Christ, all of this! This game really makes me feel like a moron the entire time I'm playing it. Not only do I suck at aiming no matter what I do with the sensitivity, but I'm constantly finding myself confused as to where to go or what to do. Chapter 3 on the space ship was not a lick of fun at all. Just a dark-ass ship with arbitrarily closed-off paths. I just about lost my shit when you were shooting out window shielding to melt people with the rays of the sun only for you to jump into space shortly after and somehow not be affected by the heat at all. Such logical inconsistency like that really bothers me.

I also dislike how much I find myself depending on the sonar thing just because I can't make out enemies for shit without it. I find myself running forward a bit, using sonar, running forward a bit, using sonar, repeat, repeat, repeat... it's really kind of a slog. I only played Killzone 2 before this, but it seems like the enemies are far less interesting in both behavior and animation. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

It's a very nice looking game, but I can't say I'm having much fun with it. I usually don't play a whole lot of FPS games online, but I might have to try it out in this game, because I'm not getting much out of the single player campaign.

I agree with all of this.

I like the multiplayer, but the single player just isn't a good game.

It sucks to say because I was looking forward to it more than any other game, but it just isn't good. The gameplay itself is incredibly boring and confusing at the same time. I never know exactly what to do or where to go. The level design is borderline bad, with odd maze layouts in most chapters. The graphics are amazing, but It's still got that dark killzone look throughout most of the game, which contributes to the boring vibe.

Idk...I'm definitely not feeling the Single player, but the multi is a good time. Only problem is that there's barely anyone playing the multiplayer already...Maybe 5 thousand total people.

nib95

Banned
From reading some impressions it's seems many inexperienced fps players aren't enjoying the SP as much when compared to most experienced players who seem to love the different level design from past corridor shooters. I personally love the change of pace and if you get stuck just hit up on the D pad and look for the objective.. Haven't been stuck yet personally.

A little bit of challenge makes a game that much more satisfying Imo. I don't always want my hand held the entire way, going through wave after wave of enemy and set piece (most fps) .

Without coming off as condescending, it does indeed sound that way. Shadow Fall appears to be quite a challenging game. Limited hand holding, punishing AI, no auto aim, added weight and less movement speed, less obvious level design etc. I think hardcore gamers will gel with it a lot more than casual gamers, or those more used to traditional popular linear shooters. But I'll see for myself soon. Watching a lot of vids it does seem more difficult and demanding than most shooters.

tesqui

Without coming off as condescending, it does indeed sound that way. Shadow Fall appears to be quite a challenging game. Limited hand holding, punishing AI, no auto aim, added weight and less movement speed, less obvious level design etc. I think hardcore gamers will gel with it a lot more than casual gamers, or those more used to traditional popular linear shooters. But I'll see for myself soon. Watching a lot of vids it does seem more difficult and demanding than most shooters.

I think it also has to do with how aware you are of all your capabilities of the OWL. Like that thing is a legit life savor. But if you never use it your going to have real rough time.

coldfoot

Banned

You are absolutely correct, it's not like COD shooting gallery. It requires tactics and thinking and the OWL is a beast. It's like a better version of Crysis 2. However, I found a bullshit thing in Chapter 7, where it tells you to shoot the dropship. That's bullshit, the dropship is invulnerable and you need to take out the infantry lol.

Top Bottom