• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

FYI, for everyone who has issues with MP:

7cvaCz5.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Its only out in na, i always thought kz was a better seller in eu like most of sonys titles.

If my friends list is any indication, a lot of people are playing this for the single player right now. I know I want to beat SP first before tackling MP.

From reading some impressions it's seems many inexperienced fps players aren't enjoying the SP as much when compared to most experienced players who seem to love the different level design from past corridor shooters. I personally love the change of pace and if you get stuck just hit up on the D pad and look for the objective.. Haven't been stuck yet personally.

A little bit of challenge makes a game that much more satisfying Imo. I don't always want my hand held the entire way, going through wave after wave of enemy and set piece (most fps) .

I wouldn't say it's a matter of "inexperienced vs. experienced," but there's definitely a split down the middle due to the pace and level structure of people who enjoy this game, and those who don't. Personally, how people can call chapters 2-6 boring or confusing perplexes me. Whenever they aren't shoving a cutscene down your throat, the game is harkening back to the kind of shooter you really don't see anymore, especially in the "AAA" space. I wish they would've totally embraced the design and gotten rid of all modern techniques in favor of a totally "wide linear," slow paced shooter-adventure.

coldfoot

Banned
Sorry guys, didn't think that was a spoiler, hid the image in a link now.
Still, I am really enjoying the campaign so far although there are some moments of brutal difficulty.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry guys, didn't think that was a spoiler, hid the image in a link now.
Still, I am really enjoying the campaign so far although there are some moments of brutal difficulty.

You are forgiven! You actually hyped me more now haha. 12 more days!

Stuck at the
giant robot thing
in Chapter 6, how do I get past it?
Even if all three EMP grenades hit and I shoot at him the entire time, it still doesn't go down and I have almost no ammo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stuck at the
giant robot thing
Even if all three EMP grenades hit and I shoot at him the entire time, it still doesn't go down and I have almost no ammo.

Lure him underneath a container then tell Echo to shoot it. There are also a bunch of EMP grenades and ammo in a corner.

coldfoot

Banned
Stuck at the
giant robot thing
It's actually really easy.
Wait until it's under one of those containers hanging from the top and order your Echo to shoot the container.
Come back later when
you're facing two of those without any containers to crush them,
that's where I am now.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The SP bad reviews are deserved.

I really hate how they did the objective notifications. Honestly, I think I am a decent gamer and I have no problem with most open world games/FPS however, I really hate how small the objective notification is,how if it's not in FOV you can't see it and you must press up for it to show.

I most likely will not finish SP. It's just way too frustrating for me. I'd have to really try and overlook the terrible approach they took for getting to your next objective.

Oddly enough this may be one of the only things me and Arthur Gies agree on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I really hate how they did the objective notifications. Honestly, I think I am a decent gamer and I have no problem with most open world games however, I really hate how small the objective notification is and how if it's not in FOV you can't see it.

I most likely will not finish SP. It's just way too frustrating for me.

Where are you? The game picks up a lot after Chapter 3. I can understand not liking 1-3 but 4-6 have been excellent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I really hate how they did the objective notifications. Honestly, I think I am a decent gamer and I have no problem with most open world games/FPS however, I really hate how small the objective notification is,how if it's not in FOV you can't see it and you must press up for it to show.

I most likely will not finish SP. It's just way too frustrating for me. I'd have to really try and overlook the terrible approach they took for getting to your next objective.

I don't think it would be so bad if it weren't for the rampant respawning in the open-ended levels. I wouldn't mind taking my time exploring if backtracking 100 meters didn't mean I had to face the same group of enemies again.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm starting to feel like I need to sell my copy. Pre launch hype really got to me. I'm not a FPS gamer and this game is punishing me. I'm getting destroyed in single player and absolutely annihilated online. It's really not fun to me at all just frustrating.

graywolf323

I'm starting to feel like I need to sell my copy. Pre launch hype really got to me. I'm not a FPS gamer and this game is punishing me. I'm getting destroyed in single player and absolutely annihilated online. It's really not fun to me at all just frustrating.

what difficulty are you playing SP on?

Gaz_RB

But it's so pretty!

I could see how someone who isn't that into FPSs would not like this game. It's not easy.

Charcoal

Man, what were they thinking when they designed the
freefall sequence
? I've been stuck in an endless loop of death for 15 minutes.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Not a deal breaker for me, but yeah, the objective marker is pretty awful. It's so tiny, and even when in the fov I can barely see it (color blind)

MThanded

But it's so pretty!

I could see how someone who isn't that into FPSs would not like this game. It's not easy.
I would stop saying this. As someone who has played quite a few FPSes I have never had any problems. Unless you are implying I am losing my touch. That could be possible lol.

But honestly, this sort of comes off condescending.

DietRob

But it's so pretty!

I will give it that. The game is absolutely gorgeous and the reason I bought it is because it was a launch game made specifically for the PS4 and it really shows. I'm just not good at FPS at all. I'm taking the easy cop out and blaming it on my age. Just don't have the reflexes I need to be good or even slightly competitive anymore.

what difficulty are you playing SP on?

I'm playing SP on "Normal" mode. Maybe I should switch it down to Easy just to be able to play through. That still doesn't do anything to help my issues with the online mode though.

Without coming off as condescending, it does indeed sound that way. Shadow Fall appears to be quite a challenging game. Limited hand holding, punishing AI, no auto aim, added weight and less movement speed, less obvious level design etc. I think hardcore gamers will gel with it a lot more than casual gamers, or those more used to traditional popular linear shooters. But I'll see for myself soon. Watching a lot of vids it does seem more difficult and demanding than most shooters.

This is exactly the case. First of all, I am loving this game. When I can get past staring at all the textures up close and stuff, lol.

The game is so hard. I was just on chapter 2 last night, on Normal, and I died several times. Enemies were coming out of everywhere. They will flank you, they do this running dive roll thing that makes them hard to shoot, they use cover and pop out unpredictably. Or, heck, the bigger enemies with more armor and big Shot Guns will come straight at you. I was shocked at how difficult the game is, but I am not complaining. It is so refreshing to have a nice challenge.

I am loving this game, but I haven't played Multi yet.

Gaz_RB

I would stop saying this. As someone who has played quite a few FPSes I have never had any problems. Unless you are implying I am losing my touch. That could be possible lol.

But honestly, this sort of comes off condescending.

I'm sorry, that's just how I feel. I'm finding this game much easier than everyone else seems to be, and I'm playing on easy. I actually had to turn the difficulty up because I wasn't finding any challenge. The enemies die too fast, and the ai is stupid.

Aggression is key to this game. It's not a cover based shooter at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BxtF4BBQ7U

Huh. Fwiw, I've never played a KZ and haven't played a SP FPS since Halo ODST and I had no problem following the objectives. I just kept tapping the mission objective button whenever I had a feeling I was going the wrong way. I've yet to be lost for more than a few seconds.

DietRob

I'm sorry, that's just how I feel. I'm finding this game much easier than everyone else seems to be, and I'm playing on easy. I actually had to turn the difficulty up because I wasn't finding any challenge. The enemies die to fast, and the ai is stupid.

I wish I could be more like you GAZ, I really do. I want to enjoy the game. Just like I want to be able to enjoy Destiny.

Just don't think FPS is a good fit for me anymore, sadly.

You are basically saying the game deserves the bad reviews because of the way you are notified about objectives? That has nothing to do with story, gameplay, graphics, performance. That is why you think it deserves the review scores it did? I mean, that is your only complaint.

I just hit up on my D Pad, and the objective will appear for at least 10 seconds or so, I look around my screen for the orange marker, and head that direction. I have had moments where it is difficult to see the marker, but I just try again, look around, and find it. I figure out where that direction is, and head that way. I am not the kind of person that needs a blue line drawn to the objective or for the marker to be lit up on the map the entire time. That takes away from the immersion in my opinion.

Gaz_RB

I wish I could be more like you GAZ, I really do. I want to enjoy the game.

haha and I don't mean to sound condescending at all, or like I'm bragging. Definitely switch it down to easy to see if that raises your enjoyment.

It's just weird coming on gaf seeing people not enjoying it, while I've been having a blast.

coldfoot

Banned
Just don't have the reflexes I need to be good or even slightly competitive anymore.
I have shit reactions, COD gives me more problems than this, as that's the ultimate arcade twitch shooter. I dislike arcade games, for example, I played Resogun just once on easy and that gave me a bunch of problems. Won't play it again.
KZ is all about strategy, retreating, finding cover, using the OWL to distract the enemies and then shooting them. It's about exploiting the mediocre AI.

Scrabble

Remember when games didn't have objective indicators needing to tell the player where to go? Players saying how "confused" and "lost" they get is just making me more excited to play this game. Sounds really refreshing.

I don't think it would be so bad if it weren't for the rampant respawning in the open-ended levels. I wouldn't mind taking my time exploring if backtracking 100 meters didn't mean I had to face the same group of enemies again.

This only happens in that first forest level, in the rest of the game the enemies generally dont come back unless you let them set off an alarm and you didn't turn it off. This will cause enemies to keep coming back. The opening forest level area does keep having new enemies appear, course otherwise it would be incredibly boring level to play through if new enemies didn't come out. But the rest of the game is nothing like that opening area

dab0ne

Holy shit! What is the last mission on this game because I just want to finish it. The last three things I've done:

1. Protect the cargo box in space

2. Run through the middle of a million enemies to lower a ship to run back through them to shoot them with the ship

3. Free fall into buildings 100 times

Have been an absolute fucking slog. I've literally died 25 times already trying to do the third thing on my list and I haven't beaten it yet. I think they tried to make it "Epic" or something but its just plain tedious. So I'm just wondering how much longer until I'm done?

DietRob

haha and I don't mean to sound condescending at all, or like I'm bragging. Definitely switch it down to easy to see if that raises your enjoyment.

It's just weird coming on gaf seeing people not enjoying it, while I've been having a blast.

It's all good man. I didn't think you were trying to look down on me or anything. I'm glad you are enjoying the game!

I have shit reactions, COD gives me more problems than this, as that's the ultimate arcade twitch shooter. I dislike arcade games, for example, I played Resogun just once on easy and that gave me a bunch of problems. Won't play it again.
KZ is all about strategy, retreating, finding cover, using the OWL to distract the enemies and then shooting them. It's about exploiting the mediocre AI.

It's weird I have the reflexes I need to enjoy Resogun, in fact it is my favorite launch game. Maybe it's just something about trying to aim quickly and properly with the dual sticks. I spent about 300 hours playing the various Battlefield games on PC, I feel like I am a little better at shooters with KB/M.

All that said I'm going to switch it down to easy in SP and play through it tonight, hopefully going through SP campaign will be the 'training' I need to become more competitive online. I have the next 2 days off so I'm going to binge on KZ:SF and make a determination on Monday night if I need to sell it while the value is still relatively high.

MThanded

Remember when games didn't have objective indicators needing to tell the player where to go? Players saying how "confused" and "lost" they get is just making me more excited to play this game. Sounds really refreshing.
Are you serious with this?

Honestly they plop you in a big world with no understanding of your objective. It's very hard to know what to do.

I guess pointing out serious design flaws means you aren't uber pro enough to game. Do I even game bro?

Without coming off as condescending, it does indeed sound that way. Shadow Fall appears to be quite a challenging game. Limited hand holding, punishing AI, no auto aim, added weight and less movement speed, less obvious level design etc. I think hardcore gamers will gel with it a lot more than casual gamers, or those more used to traditional popular linear shooters. But I'll see for myself soon. Watching a lot of vids it does seem more difficult and demanding than most shooters.

I gave up. Personally just finding it frustrating and I loved KZ mercs. I constantly get lost and the pacing seems off. I really wanted to like it!

Honestly they plop you in a big world with no understanding of your objective. It's very hard to know what to do.

I guess pointing out serious design flaws means you aren't uber pro enough to game. Do I even game bro?

Outside that opening forest area, none of the game areas are big and the game does tell you where to go by just pressing up on the dpad.

The opening of the game was fairly confusing and not a good way to introduce players, but the rest of the game is a bit more straight forward and you do have to just explore more.

Gaz_RB

You're right though, the objective system/level design is the most flawed aspect of the game, and should (and did) factor into review scores.
You can have a non linear shooter like this, but it relies very heavily on the fact that you always know where to go. There might be lots of paths to get there, but the game designers have to be able to direct you there through level design. There's one part in the 5th level where you have to go through this random ass vent to get to your objective, and the game gives you no notice of this. It def needs work. The gunplay is solid though.

DietRob

Outside that opening forest area, none of the game areas are big and the game does tell you where to go by just pressing up on the dpad.

The opening of the game was fairly confusing and not a good way to introduce players, but the rest of the game is a bit more straight forward and you do have to just explore more.

Ok, this is some good news then. I haven't been able to make it through the forest yet. So I'm optimistic that it will become more enjoyable.

MThanded

Well this is good to hear. I am on space station chapter. The first chapter made me very weary to continue on.

I will take your word that the rest of the game is not like this. I'll try to make some headway later.

Well this is good to hear. I am on space station chapter. The first chapter made me very weary to continue on.

I will take your word that the rest of the game is not like this. I'll try to make some headway later.

I think they did an awful job with that opening forest area, as it was very confusing at first and a player is new to the game, so they aren't familiar with their weapons or how to use the OWL to full effect yet, which is very important to play this game. Rest of the game is much more on point, some areas are very linear which the game does have areas with multiple objectives and ways to go, its easier than the opening. You also have enemies who keep coming and spawning in that forest that should not be tossed at you for a new player, like the stealth using snipers. You will get confused and flanked in that forest easily and the objectives early on are vague, that is true.

GG did a crappy job on the intro for this game. I think its a real solid game, it has issues, but I think lot of players are going to be turned off by this game's start.

Gaz_RB

idk, the space station was kind of confusing to me at times.

and there's a mission in the slums on the helghast side that had me lost in the beginning too

Top Bottom