• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

coldfoot

Banned
Same. There's a drop ship in the distance that shoots a ton at you and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do?
I made it past by ignoring the damn dropship, and just focusing on shooting the troops and ATACs. That's very counter intuitive because the game dialogue just before tells you to shoot the dropship.
Also you are NOT going to like what comes after that stage, LOL.

Another thing that this game doesn't get enough credit for, is the amazing verticality in the levels.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Honestly the only place I got last at was
helghan after the first turret part.
other than that I think the levels are fairly straight forward.

Without coming off as condescending, it does indeed sound that way. Shadow Fall appears to be quite a challenging game. Limited hand holding, punishing AI, no auto aim, added weight and less movement speed, less obvious level design etc. I think hardcore gamers will gel with it a lot more than casual gamers, or those more used to traditional popular linear shooters. But I'll see for myself soon. Watching a lot of vids it does seem more difficult and demanding than most shooters.

This is exactly what happened with certain reviews. The game is difficult, and seems very aggrevating if you're not well versed in all of the tools it gives you. It feels very old school in the respect, and I love it. Can't believe they're getting marked down for NOT being another Call of Duty rollercoaster ride of linear set piece moments. It's like reviewers have no time to fully experience the game so they just want to get it over with as quickly as possible, and by thinking of it in that manner they blast through the game not really taking in all of the gameplay systems and they're having a frustrating time. It's unfortunate, because from a gameplay perspective this is a really great campaign.

FYI, for everyone who has issues with MP:

7cvaCz5.jpg

Great to see them listening.

I know there's always a conflict with parties vs. games, but they should add proximity enemy chat (similar to Halo, and I believe Killzone 2). It's always fun getting into shit-slinging back and forth for really competitive matches, and this feeling is practically gone these days.

I should also be able to hear everyone in my party as well as everyone on my team.

idk, the space station was kind of confusing to me at times.

and there's a mission in the slums on the helghast side that had me lost in the beginning too

Space station has a bunch of areas to explore, game has quite a few collectibles. For the most part it's simply trial and error of searching for the right paths to your destination, but nothing to me was as bad as that opening segment of the game which is extremely vague. Find the intel, big open forest and you are supposed to stumble upon this one little hidden entrance to trigger the next part? At least most of the rest of the game isn't like that.

Binabik15

This is exactly the case. First of all, I am loving this game. When I can get past staring at all the textures up close and stuff, lol.

The game is so hard. I was just on chapter 2 last night, on Normal, and I died several times. Enemies were coming out of everywhere. They will flank you, they do this running dive roll thing that makes them hard to shoot, they use cover and pop out unpredictably. Or, heck, the bigger enemies with more armor and big Shot Guns will come straight at you. I was shocked at how difficult the game is, but I am not complaining. It is so refreshing to have a nice challenge.

I am loving this game, but I haven't played Multi yet.

Sounds similiar to Uncharted 1 on Crushing
not Uncharted 2 because the twist enemy are just lame bullet sponges against everything but the crossbows.
. That was gaming HEAVEN for me.

That damn wait.

Only thing I wish for without having played the game is for the VanGuard stuff from Mercenaries. Yeah, you have an Owl, you badass Shadow Marshall, you, but I have some black market shoulder-based rocket pods and a mini-gunship drone that rains down deadly laser blasts. And hacking in multiplayer <3

dab0ne

Same. There's a drop ship in the distance that shoots a ton at you and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do?

This part wasn't very fun. Here is how I did it.

You're supposed to move that cannon thing but the game doesn't do a good job of telling you how. Here is how:

When you're up on the bridge with your allies just run down the right side and get down on the floor where the enemies are. Stay to the right side (and I mean the very right side. Hug the wall on the right side of the map) of the map and get past any enemies who are in your way. About 1/3 of the way across the map you will come to a ladder. Go up it and go through the door. Go through the only other door in the room (its on the right) and go down the narrow hallway. You'll come out to a little control room. There is another door in that control room that leads you to what almost looks like the duct and pipe system of the facility (almost looks like a maintenance Corridor or something). Once you get out there go right and drop down the ladder. There will be an activation button that puts the cannon above the bridge but it moves slower than hell. It takes forever. I just waited in those little control rooms and cleared a path back to the bridge, where you start out, when cannon arrived there. Get in the ship and shoot those fuckers.
Honestly, the end of this game has felt like a completely tedious slog. I kinda just want it to end so I can trade it in for Battlefield 4.

Flo_Evans

I think they could of done the objective marking a little better. I barely used it, it was pretty obvious in most places where to go, follow the stream of enemies spawning.

Maybe a 2d map somewhere would help people.

The free fall sections were pretty bad, only that one was really frustrating though, reminds me of trying to land in top gun lol.

Other than the last encounter I didn't find it all that difficult. Wall hacks, auto-revive, owl zapping and tons of heavy weaponry made mincemeat of most enemies.

Story was 1 part lol, 1 part huh? The last of us really raised the bar for storytelling in games IMO, this plot is cheap and tacky but not too offensive.

I've only played a little mp but it seems solid, no chat means I doubt I will play this long though. Seriously, it's 2013, this is a 1st party game. I get that it's a launch game but they need to add this or the multi is going to die fast.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Just finished the game all look almost no substance...disappointed to say the least.
Before someone say it's because of my avatar I loved killzone 2 and 3

jwbrown77

I made it past by ignoring the damn dropship, and just focusing on shooting the troops and ATACs. That's very counter intuitive because the game dialogue just before tells you to shoot the dropship.
Also you are NOT going to like what comes after that stage, LOL.

Another thing that this game doesn't get enough credit for, is the amazing verticality in the levels.

I've retried this at least 100 times now and I still can't do it. And I'm only on normal.

I didn't like the forest level, but since then the game has picked up and I am having a blast. No mission feels the same and the environments and objectives are varied throughout. The game still kicks my ass and enemies do still seemingly come out of nowhere, but I try to make sure I'm in a position where it's hard to get flanked and I do alright.

GlassCity

Banned
I keep seeing people say not knowing where to go is 'refreshing", it's not in Killzone.

Most of these people probably haven't played the game, or they might be blinded by the next gen hype. OR, they might legitimately like the game.

Nothing wrong with that.

IMO There's a difference between having that sense of exploration, like say...Fallout, or Skyrim, where you WANT to explore the levels, Killzone doesn't have that. Your put on large, maze like levels with enemies plopped at random in front of you for no rhyme or reason with little incentive to explore the majority of the level.

There's just way to much dead space in these levels.

One thing I noticed is that you'll start fighting some enemies on one part of the map and then all of the sudden it's DEAD, you'll start looking around and then realize the objective is in a completely different direction. IMO, they just tried to do too much with their level design. You just never feel guided on any of these levels. This goes beyond a level marker, or guide. The levels themselves just do a poor job of unconsciously guiding the player.

Killzone is a good reminder that graphics aren't everything.

Sean

Banned
Haven't finished the game yet (on chapter 8) but this is a really mediocre single player campaign so far. The only thing keeping me going at this point is the gorgeous visuals.

The story is shit, the characters have zero personality, the voice acting/performances are weak, the enemy AI is bad, and the gameplay simply isn't fun most of the time. I don't really like the sonar pulse or OWL. I've been using them, but it just feels like cheating - when you can see enemies through walls and send in a flying robot to tear shit up while you sit safely behind cover, there's no sense of satisfaction in that style of combat. You don't even have to enter the room to completely clear all the enemies out. The most interesting function of the owl (Zipline) has barely been usable outside of that Forest chapter so far because these levels are just not designed for it.

I think a lot of the level and mission design is bad. Chapter 2 puts you in a big ass forest with cloaked snipers and respawning enemies (unless you hack the alarm) and the direction you need to go is often unclear - even when you tap up on the d-pad you often can't see the little orange waypoint marker cause of all the sun rays/lens flares and whatnot. It's just sorta overwhelming and a very poor introduction to the game. Chapter 3 was dull as hell with all the petrusite capacitor "puzzle" stuff. Constantly climbing up and down ladders in chapter 4's train station also bored me. This
freefall sequence
I'm playing at the moment is just downright terrible.

From looking at the trophy data very few people seem to be enjoying the single player, most people completed the first ~10 min prologue chapter and then everything else is a "rare" trophy. Only 15% of users have gotten to chapter 4. I know that I'm pretty much forcing myself to complete the game.

Charcoal

There are two of those, which one are you stuck at?
On Helghan, gliding between the falling buildings.
After 30 minutes, I finally get past that only to get to some fun
walking-drone boss battles.
I'm about done with this game for awhile, the last 2 hours have been a chore.

Thorgi

Remember when games didn't have objective indicators needing to tell the player where to go? Players saying how "confused" and "lost" they get is just making me more excited to play this game. Sounds really refreshing.

I'm really enjoying the single-player (feels like a mix of Dishonored and Crysis/Halo to me), but having to hammer the objective beacon every few minutes is a real bummer. Feels like developers used it as a shortcut instead of building levels that naturally help players find their way.

Jarmel

Banned
Without coming off as condescending, it does indeed sound that way. Shadow Fall appears to be quite a challenging game. Limited hand holding, punishing AI, no auto aim, added weight and less movement speed, less obvious level design etc. I think hardcore gamers will gel with it a lot more than casual gamers, or those more used to traditional popular linear shooters. But I'll see for myself soon. Watching a lot of vids it does seem more difficult and demanding than most shooters.
Let's be real, the enemy AI is not good. It's braindead for most of the game and the only real challenge comes from the numbers of them sometimes and the damage they can put out.
I wouldn't say it's a matter of "inexperienced vs. experienced, but there's definitely a split down the middle due to the pace and level structure of people who enjoy this game, and those who don't. Personally, how people can call chapters 2-6 boring or confusing perplexes me. Whenever they aren't shoving a cutscene down your throat, the game is harkening back to the kind of shooter you really don't see anymore, especially in the "AAA" space. I wish they would've totally embraced the design and gotten rid of all modern techniques in favor of a totally "wide linear," slow paced shooter-adventure.
Chapters 2-6 have some guided segments such as the
prison break
which go on for way too long and are boring as dirt. There are also some areas where it's really limited in how you can encounter/engage the enemy.
I've retried this at least 100 times now and I still can't do it. And I'm only on normal.

It's probably the hardest section in the game or the 2nd hardest with the shit in Chapter 8 being the hardest.

Eusis

what the fuck?
lol i guess that explains why, i thought my mic was busted or somethign
Test that at the home screen of PS4, if you can use voice commands you'll know your MIC's fine (may need to enable voice commands in settings.) Left me baffled too, but since I knew the mic worked I wondered if it was an issue of game type or something.

Amir0x

Banned
For people worried about getting lost, I've played through chapter 6 and 3 was the only one I had that issue with.

i am so pissed that ACTUAL EXPLORATION is a negative now. Goddamn modern gaming has ruined game design :/

Killzone: Shadow Fall >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x23873278782627362362368 the other KZ for less linear design. Yeah, I said it.

taoofjord

I've been pretty tired of competitive mp shooters for a while now but this 60 FPS and AMAZING controller really makes it feel fresh to me. I'm really having a blast (and doing much better than I used to) with Killzone and BF4 multiplayer!

AngryBird

Banned
I REALLY like the SP in this game. That happens extremely rare.
Amazing job GG!

Took me 5 hours to reach Ch3, but I suck really bad with controller and died about 30 times.

It reminds me a lot of old school games where they were difficult and had to figure out how to do something to get to next level. This is good.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm still not able to pass it. It doesn't even feel like I'm just not doing it well enough; it just feels stupidly hard.
Best advice I can give you is start with the enemies up close and then go backwards.
i am so pissed that ACTUAL EXPLORATION is a negative now. Goddamn modern gaming has ruined game design :/

Killzone: Shadow Fall >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x23873278782627362362368 the other KZ for less linear design. Yeah, I said it.

To be fair, there is a difference between exploration and being lost. I didn't really have this problem as I just spammed the objective beacon most of the time.

taoofjord

Yeah, it's funny, I've been a massive fan of non-linear level design since I played System Shock and Thief way back when. Ever since, I've enjoyed most of the games that have used that kiud of non-linear level design (most recently, Dishonored).

Still, whenever I play certain games that switch between linear and non-linear in one game I often find myself getting annoyed. I think the player has to be in two different mindsets when that happens and it forces the player to kinda learn how to balance your play style. For me, part of it has to do with me wanting to explore EVERY room thoroughly so it really changes the pace of the game.

GlassCity

Banned
Best advice I can give you is start with the enemies up close and then go backwards.

To be fair, there is a difference between exploration and being lost. I didn't really have this problem as I just spammed the objective beacon most of the time.

All that so much.

I'm all for exploration; what they did just doesn't work in the forest level. Whether it's because it's too early in the game, or the objectives too unclear, or the enemies used... the pacing is wrong, it's not very well considered, and sorry it felt to me like a tedious slog.

Not to blaspheme or anything, but it actually reminded me a lot of a few of PDZ's weirdo, sprawling SP maps where you're not even sure what's being asked of you, where it is or how to get there.

Man going through Warzone with a good team that plays like a squad has me reliving my KZ2 glory days. THE MP IS SO GOD DAMN GOOD.

Fuck, you guys are killing me.

I have law school exams in two weeks and it's taking every ounce of discipline in me to not run to the nearest gamestop and pick up a PS4 with Shadowfall. If I give in and end up failing because I'm too busy playing I'm going to blame it on neoGAF.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm all for exploration; what they did just doesn't work in the forest level. Whether it's because it's too early in the game, or the objectives too unclear, or the enemies used... the pacing is wrong, it's not very well considered, and sorry it felt to me like a tedious slog.

Not to blaspheme or anything, but it actually reminded me a lot of a few of PDZ's weirdo, sprawling SP maps where you're not even sure what's being asked of you, where it is or how to get there.

it wasn't aimless at all! They tell you the objective and have a checklist and it's all explicit!

I am starting to understand why devs just design straight lines these days

Tzeentch

I didn't think it was possible, but the KSF 'story' makes Battlefield 4's look like freakin' Citizen Kane. Is the CEOs brother the head writer or something?

velociraptor

it wasn't aimless at all! They tell you the objective and have a checklist and it's all explicit!

Can you press 'Up' to show the objective location?

I'm all for exploration but would be nice if you could press a button to remind you where you need to go.

When I played that level, I did too: because it's a lot harder to make non-liner work. And that was exhibit A.

Chapters 2-6 have some guided segments such as the
prison break
which go on for way too long and are boring as dirt. There are also some areas where it's really limited in how you can encounter/engage the enemy.

I never said it was perfect, but I like the pace and the attempt. That section you mentioned would've been great if it were bookended by chapters like 2 and 3 instead of directly after Chapter 5. It's a good "palette cleanser" section, but it comes at the wrong time considering how the chapter before it played out.

IDK man, considering what this game could've been, and what a lot of people apparently wished it were, I'm not mad at what Guerrilla tried to do, at least in some of these chapters. There's a lot that could be improved, but it's by far the most interesting KZ game from a level pace + progression standpoint.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That's not really fair at all. People love exploration! Everyone praised games like Deus Ex and Dishonored for having multiple paths and a variety of ways to tackle a single challenge.

There's a reason a lot of people in this thread are annoyed at Killzone's level design. It's confusing and inconsistent. It also doesn't really reward or encourage exploration and experimentation. While this is only my impression from playing the first five chapters, it seems like a lot of people agree.

It's not a backlash against open-ended level design and lack of hand holding, it's just that this game is kind of confusing.

viveks86

Exactly my thoughts. There used to be a time when FPS was all about getting lost and figuring your way out. Now everyone just wants to be guided by hand!

fpsmapdesign.jpg

graywolf323

Well this is good to hear. I am on space station chapter. The first chapter made me very weary to continue on.

I will take your word that the rest of the game is not like this. I'll try to make some headway later.

I just got to the space station chapter as well but I'm gonna take a break, been gaming most of the afternoon

Just beat the Campaign on normal. Visuals were amazing and the AI kicked my ass quite a few times, but I loved it. 1st Killzone I actually completed all the way. One part I really hated was
the free fall segment in chapter 8. I died like 25 times and I honestly don't know how I made it all the way. Controls were horrible for that part.

Nonetheless I really enjoyed the game and I have yet to try Multiplayer. If a launch title looks like this I can't wait to see what we'll get in the coming years.

Amir0x

Banned
It's not a backlash against open-ended level design and lack of hand holding, it's just that this game is kind of confusing.

There is nothing confusing about it though. Genuinely, being confused says more about the person who is confused than the game I have to imagine since it's so easy to figure out what to do.

It is all spelled out for you and you can press buttons to find your objective! In what universe is this confusing? What do you require, giant glowing yellow markers that pull your character like an inescapable bit of gravity, forcing you guys on rails?

My God... I would hate to design games with today's gamers lol

Dishonored WISHES it was nonlinear in the way old games were :p

Exactly my thoughts. There used to be a time when FPS was all about getting lost and figuring your way out. Now everyone just wants to be guided by hand!

We are too far gone :(

viveks86

We are too far gone :(

God damn it! I feel old now! :'(

Damn, I remember those days. Hell, even in Doom I got lost several times lol.

Same here. The frustration from getting lost was part of the experience. It used to feel so rewarding when you just make it through somehow. Now people want actual rewards to feel rewarded. I think the era of the GPS has spoilt us. We now live in the give-me-a-button-to-show-which-way-I-should-turn age.

Top Bottom