• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Worked my way up to Chapter 8 and I think that may be it for me.

That part where you
glide through the city with horrible, kill-me-now controls
put me over the top. I haven't been this aggravated by a game in a long time, and that's saying something.

I think Guerilla is trying to emulate the wrong type of games. I don't want Call of Duty. I don't want Crysis. But they're trying so hard to make Killzone like other games that the result is a soulless slog quite unlike the first couple of games in the series.

When a game simultaneously lets me down and gets my blood pressure up like this, it's time to check the trade-in value and move on to greener pastures.

What a terrible outing to start the new generation.

Couldn't even make it to 8. When I had to
jump from train track to train track, move around with four + elevators, then jump on moving storage containers
I had just about had it with this game.

It seems like Guerilla wanted to make a third-person action title, then shoehorned it into the Killzone franchise. Multiplayer isn't a standout for me either. Bought this for $27 and still can't imagine keeping it. It's probably going to Amazon for $26.60.

The matchmaking in this game is a damn travesty. I swear every game, EVERY GAME, in Warzone is just me and my team just getting swept 0-5 all the time.

inb4 hurr hurr stop sucking

Orlics

The matchmaking in this game is a damn travesty. I swear every game, EVERY GAME, in Warzone is just me and my team just getting swept 0-5 all the time.

inb4 hurr hurr stop sucking

The last couple of games I've played had 3-2 outcomes, but I've been in a whole bunch where you either were on the winning team or the losing team, yeah.

Timu

Do have even higher quality screens than the ones you posted (the possibility to take less-compressed ones)?

There seems to be some artifacts still... some compression.
TBH it's pretty close to how the game looks since the game itself seems to suffer a bit from it, I may use a different program though to see if I get better results. I only use PNG but may try another file format, would be hilarious to use BMP(which I can do actually, but that file size, lol).

Nick

The pop-up in multiplayer is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure it's been said in the thread many times but it's pretty distracting.

This is the first time I have ever felt that launch game sting. I'm one of those people who defend the Killzone franchise but now I just can't enjoy this game. The maps I don't like, the constant grenade attacks, all the spawn killing (i know the maps are designed to stop such things like the walls), it's just not fun. I was hoping the FOV would be alot wider for this gen but my god it's so claustrophobic with everything.

I might just trade it for BF4 if such a thing is possible because don't get me started with the campaign.

TBH it's pretty close to how the game looks since the game itself seems to suffer a bit from it, I may use a different program though to see if I get better results. I only use PNG but may try another file format, would be hilarious to use BMP(which I can do actually, but that file size, lol).

Heck, I'll take some BMPs!

:D

Do you think you would be interested in contributing some screens then for the tech tread if I sent you a list of stuff to take pictures of?

Just finished the campaign and I really enjoyed the first 6 chapters, it was open and bright and there was some nice freedom and then the last 3 levels are just extremely frustrating and I'm not sure why. Every encounter just fucking sucked. Kind of a shame, but I will happily replay some of the earlier levels.

Played only one match of multiplayer and really liked it, I remember enjoying KZ2 and 3's multiplayer. Looking forward to getting into it, hoping it makes up for the semi-underwhelming campaign.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Final mission and ending were great. Mission 8 is complete ass but I liked the rest of the game quite a bit, although Chapter 9 kind of suffered from just throwing tons of enemies at you. This game satisfied a very specific desire I had, the return of special agent focused open FPS like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. The game certainly has a lot of flaws and will be divisive but it's certainly memorable and a strong launch title. The launch crunch definitely shows in some of the later missions. I really hope GG isn't too discouraged by reviews and listens to what players are saying. This is a great new start for the franchise and Shadow Fall is a strong base to build on for another game.

Wow I don't understand the hate on this game at all!

For once I don't feel like I'm being funneled through a linear path using the same techniques to kill the same old enemies. The environments are varied and I'm really digging the settings and DAT MUSIC. Seriously put some good headphones into your dualshock 4s guys the soundtrack is great and music is playing in the campaign much more than any first person shooter I have played in a while.

It's a bummer people just don't seem to get the single player mechanics this time around, Killzone + Dishonored + Crisis is a win in my book.

bob page

Just beat the campaign- enjoyed it! Its a solid 7.5/10 in my book, mainly because chapters 7 and 8 were awful (you know what parts I'm referring to). The script was kind of bad but I really liked Echo. And the graphics....just wow.

On to multiplayer!

It's a bummer people just don't seem to get the single player mechanics this time around, Killzone + Dishonored + Crisis is a win in my book.

Agreed. I'm on Chapter 4 and just love the challenge (playing on HARD) and the beauty of it! It's like I'm doing several different missions in the game basically. I wish the Save Point system was better in that you can rest after a checkpoint instead of having to play through the entire chapter. Maybe they'll fix that in a patch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just beat the campaign- enjoyed it! Its a solid 7.5/10 in my book, mainly because chapters 7 and 8 were awful (you know what parts I'm referring to). The script was kind of bad but I really liked Echo. And the graphics....just wow.

On to multiplayer!

What was the issue with 7? Agreed on chapter 8, but I had no problem with 7 outside of some of the voice acting.

Nick

I have to say I enjoyed the campaign, despite its flaws. The first half is certainly better than the second half. I have no intention of playing through it again but I'm glad I bought it.

Reading through this thread has me contemplating switching my Killzone bundle preorder to the PS4 + camera bundle (that's what's being offered for the Taiwan release, as well as what looks like a Dynasty Warriors Bundle, and a NBA 2K14 bundle).

I've been a big fan of the franchise since the first game (I forgave the serious flaws of that entry). Killzone Liberation is one of my all-time favorite PSP games, and Killzone 2 on PS3 was absolutely stellar. I'm one of the few people who LOVED the weighted, visceral feel of the game play. A lot of traditional shooter fans couldn't get down with the weighty (what they call lag) control scheme and I never understood that. I love that it wasn't a twitch shooter...it was a shooter that made you feel the heft of firing a big assault rifle.

It sounds like GG gave into the CoD/BF4 crowd with this one. That makes me sad. :(

Wow I don't understand the hate on this game at all!

For once I don't feel like I'm being funneled through a linear path using the same techniques to kill the same old enemies. The environments are varied and I'm really digging the settings and DAT MUSIC. Seriously put some good headphones into your dualshock 4s guys the soundtrack is great and music is playing in the campaign much more than any first person shooter I have played in a while.

Amen! It's a great game! I'm loving both single player and multi

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reading through this thread has me contemplating switching my Killzone bundle preorder to the PS4 + camera bundle (that's what's being offered for the Taiwan release, as well as what looks like a Dynasty Warriors Bundle, and a NBA 2K14 bundle).

I've been a big fan of the franchise since the first game (I forgave the serious flaws of that entry). Killzone Liberation is one of my all-time favorite PSP games, and Killzone 2 on PS3 was absolutely stellar. I'm one of the few people who LOVED the weighted, visceral feel of the game play. A lot of traditional shooter fans couldn't get down with the weighty (what they call lag) control scheme and I never understood that. I love that it wasn't a twitch shooter...it was a shooter that made you feel the heft of firing a big assault rifle.

It sounds like GG gave into the CoD/BF4 crowd with this one. That makes me sad. :(

If this was the conclusion you came to you haven't been reading the thread.

It still has that weighty feel to it; it definitely doesn't play like CoD to me. You have to place your shots carefully, your character feels like he has real heft and momentum behind his movements; there's no ice skating around the levels. I thoroughly enjoy it, and I like the slower pace. Those looking for bombast and set pieces every second will be disappointed.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Final mission and ending were great. Mission 8 is complete ass but I liked the rest of the game quite a bit, although Chapter 9 kind of suffered from just throwing tons of enemies at you. This game satisfied a very specific desire I had, the return of special agent focused open FPS like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. The game certainly has a lot of flaws and will be divisive but it's certainly memorable and a strong launch title. The launch crunch definitely shows in some of the later missions. I really hope GG isn't too discouraged by reviews and listens to what players are saying. This is a great new start for the franchise and Shadow Fall is a strong base to build on for another game.

Cool man I am glad you enjoyed it

any massive shoot outs like killzone 2?

jwbrown77

Can someone tell me what you're supposed to do in the room in chapter 9 when you're chasing Stahl? Do they honestly expect you to beat 50+ armored troops with turrets single handedly?

Is there some alarm I have to disable or exit I need to get to? What am I missing? It seems literally impossible as is.

Finally got through it. If anyone else is having trouble here and cares to hear my strategy...

Stay in the room with the large orange globe as long as possible. Take that time to clear every single enemy from the door entering the main area that you can reach. Make sure not to exit the door or it will lock you out.

By the end, I could only see 4 enemies far and back to the right which I couldn't lure, even with an echo discharge.

Now enter the room. I was able to beat the rest of the enemies by crouching behind the k-rail next to the door. Just take it slow and steady. Make sure to disarm the shields for the guys that have them with the OWL. After a while, you should be able to clear it down to zero.

That part took me over two hours to clear. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cool man I am glad you enjoyed it

any massive shoot outs like killzone 2?

There's a few fights where there are a shitload of guys coming at you but nothing like two armies fighting each other. It's very much a smaller scale, more intimate type of combat. It makes sense given the fact that your a Shadow Marshal during a cold war.

MazeHaze

Banned
how to I invite a friend to the multiplayer? I see a game invitations option, but no way to invite. If I click their names, it doesn't do anything. wtf.

Finally got through it. If anyone else is having trouble here and cares to hear my strategy...

Stay in the room with the large orange globe as long as possible. Take that time to clear every single enemy from the door entering the main area that you can reach. Make sure not to exit the door or it will lock you out.

By the end, I could only see 4 enemies far and back to the right which I couldn't lure, even with an echo discharge.

Now enter the room. I was able to beat the rest of the enemies by crouching behind the k-rail next to the door. Just take it slow and steady. Make sure to disarm the shields for the guys that have them with the OWL. After a while, you should be able to clear it down to zero.

That part took me over two hours to clear. :p

I took the three-shot-burst electro gun and cleared out one hallway as the door opened. With that, it was much easier to pick off the other hallways soldiers.

jwbrown77

Ok, finished the game. I honestly think low 70's is a weak score for this. This game in my mind cements that Metacritic is hurting the industry. On a scale to 100, I think this is a minimum 80. And depending on how much you like Sci-Fi, it can go up from there.

It makes me wonder if game journalists take the time to beat the entire campaign before forming their opinions.

PROS:

1. The single player feels completely fleshed out. This wasn't like other FPS games where the SP was something slapped together. As a person that doesn't play much MP, I really appreciated this.

2. Graphics were stunning and I believe did the new hardware justice. Very strong art direction.

3. Story wasn't any worse than average imo. Some of the core plot ideas have been done in other media, but everything is derivative.

4. Gun choices were pretty good.

CONS:

1. I thought the first two chapters were the worst. That's something as a game designer that I'd imagine you don't want to hear. And I think it could have contributed to lower scores from lazy journalists.

2. Some of the parts were almost impossibly hard for me, even in normal mode. No option to toggle difficulty ad-hoc.

3. Enemy AI was quite weak. But there were areas where I wouldn't have ever survived if it wasn't.

4. The space art and locations were very cool. The problem was, it didn't blow me away like it did when I played Dead Space the first time.

Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase. Well done to the dev team.

TEH-CJ

Banned
There's a few fights where there are a shitload of guys coming at you but nothing like two armies fighting each other. It's very much a smaller scale, more intimate type of combat. It makes sense given the fact that your a Shadow Marshal during a cold war.

Damn :(

I was expecting Killzone 2 battles but in a sandbox type level design. Would of been awesome and well suited for Kilzone imo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I was expecting Killzone 2 battles but in a sandbox type level design. Would of been awesome and well suited for Kilzone imo.

If it makes you feel any better, there are fights with way more enemies in them than in any of the previous games. It just doesn't have the atmosphere of all out war because there isn't one going on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why does it look better in still shots than when it does running on my 50 inch Panasonic?
I have 50" Panasonic plasma, and for me the game is consistently more impressive on the TV than on these screens where it always looks somehow a bit blurrier than it does on my TV. What exactly doesn't look as impressive when you see it on your TV?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All I have are screens, and yeah they're all PNG, I'm loving the character models and lighting in this game:

The middle two are from pre-rendered movies. Not that the hardware couldn't handle it in real-time, but just figured it's worth noting.

Sidzed2

Watching you squirm and react to every single impression posted in this thread breaks my heart! Please relax, take a deep breath - opinions are mixed. Some are loving the game, others not so much.

You and I will find out for ourselves soon - I assume the game comes out for you on the 29th like me (I am in Australia).

We both want the game to be good, but we'll just have to find out on our own.

In summary: CHILL, BRAH.

KCs NOTOR1OUS

Neo Member
Is there a delay in the killzone soundtrack we were promised for pre ordering?

I was just curious because i was able to download the skins fine but no e-mail from amazon concerning the soundtrack.

Also, is the spotlight move used on downed enemies or after the match is already over?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Watching you squirm and react to every single impression posted in this thread breaks my heart! Please relax, take a deep breath - opinions are mixed. Some are loving the game, others not so much.

You and I will find out for ourselves soon - I assume the game comes out for you on the 29th like me (I am in Australia).

We both want the game to be good, but we'll just have to find out on our own.

In summary: CHILL, BRAH.

Haha you are right...I need to chillax :(

thanks bro.

I have to ask, because this part is pissing me off so bad. I'm at the part I believe in Chapter 7,
where Massar escaped, I put the c4 on the window, I'm protecting the pod she's in and now it seems like I'm caught in a loop, she yells "help, the train is coming apart!" I don't have time to react to it, so I die but it keeps spawning me in that exact moment. I've tried everything I can think of.

I think that's what's happening anyways, this game makes no sense. Any advise to get through this part would be greatly appreciated. I just want to finish this up so I can collect my trophy and move on to multiplayer.

btkadams

I am really struggling in the
chapter 7 big shootout segment. I always end up dying. As soon as the dropship comes, the enemies overtake me.
any tips?

Desty

Banned
Worked my way up to Chapter 8 and I think that may be it for me.

That part where you
glide through the city with horrible, kill-me-now controls
put me over the top. I haven't been this aggravated by a game in a long time, and that's saying something.

I think Guerilla is trying to emulate the wrong type of games. I don't want Call of Duty. I don't want Crysis. But they're trying so hard to make Killzone like other games that the result is a soulless slog quite unlike the first couple of games in the series.

When a game simultaneously lets me down and gets my blood pressure up like this, it's time to check the trade-in value and move on to greener pastures.

What a terrible outing to start the new generation.

Ah you just read my mind. What were they thinking with the
gliding section
. So frustrating. The first chapters I thought were great. I think I am at chapter 7 or 8 and I had to quit today because it was too frustrating. Graphically, it is so amazing. It just stumbles in some of these gameplay areas towards the end for me. I will finish the game though. I think on a second playthrough I will enjoy it even more. I can't wait to show everyone the forest level this holiday.

Top Bottom