• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Absolutely loved the chapter 5 sniper fights in the slums before the end of the mission. When the hard music kicks in and you see every sniper teleporting and playing hide and seek the complexity of the metallic jungle environment is astonishing in that level. God I love this game so much.
Chapters 2,4,5,6, and 10 are my favorite FPS stages in years. They're perfectly catered to my FPS tastes

Does quitting during the voting period after a match count as losing? My Win/Loss just went from .75 to .70 after winning a game :/

And I'm surprised so many people are saying the voice acting is awful. Writing still doesn't capture the potential of the universe but there was no particular line delivery that made me cringe or stood out as particularly awful.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does quitting during the voting period after a match count as losing? My Win/Loss just went from .75 to .70 after winning a game :/

And I'm surprised so many people are saying the voice acting is awful. Writing still doesn't capture the potential of the universe but there was no particular line delivery that made me cringe or stood out as particularly awful.
Massar and Kellan are pretty bad but everyone else is pretty good. I really liked Echo and Sinclair.

Flo_Evans

Well, it might be too late for you guys and the reviewers, but I checked in a fix today making that section easier. No idea when it'll go in a patch, but hopefully before the Europeans get to play it.

I say patch it to make it harder. Remove the mid-checkpoint!

Gamers these days. "I died 10 times fix this please!" It's not enough you are a (slow) walking bad ass laying waste to hundreds of enemies, any slight obstacle is a flaw.

What is strange to me is a game like resogun is praised for its high difficulty and death, but a FPS is broken if it is hard?

I would of made the flight controls more like flight (pull back to go up) once I fought that tendency back it wasn't really that hard of a segment.

Muffdraul

I say patch it to make it harder. Remove the mid-checkpoint!

Gamers these days. "I died 10 times fix this please!" It's not enough you are a (slow) walking bad ass laying waste to hundreds of enemies, any slight obstacle is a flaw.

What is strange to me is a game like resogun is praised for its high difficulty and death, but a FPS is broken if it is hard?

I would of made the flight controls more like flight (pull back to go up) once I fought that tendency back it wasn't really that hard of a segment.

There's "stiff challenge" and there's "fucking bullshit". The free fall segment definitely qualifies as the latter. Some of the fire fights in the game were hard as nails even on medium difficulty, and if people were saying those should be nerfed you might have a point.

Oh man, just beat single player. Echo is one of my new favorite characters, I hope they bring her back in the future! Also, the game was much longer than the average FPS, and had some fairly open maps. Going to give multiplayer a try, but I can happily recommend it to anyone looking for a good game.

Ending spoilers

Those last levels on Helghan, and then Echo avenging Kellan were awesome!

pixelbox

Pretty impressive rug tech. I don't know if you can tell from the pic but that rug isn't just a flat texture. I aint no video game maker but I think something like tessellation is being used.

BZYHYXIIYAAOW9-.jpg:large

Its not. Just a pom or paralax mapping.

ref

Just a heads up, for the 'Complete the campaign without dying' trophy, you DO NOT need to do a full playthrough. Just go to level select and see the levels where you died and play them in any order until done.

Silly vague descriptions...

Am I the only one or does it bother anyone else that the height of your character in all the killzone games is too damn short? He is like a midget usually, shorter than everyone else it seems like.

It always bothers me like the whole game its on my mind.

Killzone is the only FPS that gives me any motion sickness, purely because of the shittacular FOV. It's really annoying because I love these games but can't play them for extended periods of time. Really disappointing that it wasn't fixed in this game, I guess it's an intentional design decision on GG's part.

nib95

Banned
Well, it might be too late for you guys and the reviewers, but I checked in a fix today making that section easier. No idea when it'll go in a patch, but hopefully before the Europeans get to play it.

Damn. Lol. Needing to patch in fixes to lower difficulty levels. I'm really intrigued now.

dab0ne

New page. Anyone?

I'm not sure but I'm guessing checkpoints are only while you're playing and you die. If you turn off your game you won't go back to the last "checkpoint" you'll go back to the last "save". At least that's what I gathered during my play through.

SirCrush

Hey Gaffers, theres apparently a dev from GG in my steram (environment artist by the name of "zixxerr" if anyone wants to ask questions: http://www.twitch.tv/chucknyce

Zixxerr is legit. He spent like 4 hours in another Killzone stream yesterday and answered questions from viewers and the streamer himself. He's an environmental artist so he apparently doesn't know a lot about KZ's future but he does know about some of the MP maps. He's good people from what I've seen :)

Muffdraul

New page. Anyone?

I think it's safe to say that the save system is glitched and needs patching. Obviously it should save your progress up to your last checkpoint, and when you quit that's where you pick up when you next boot up the game. But unfortunately it seems hit or miss, and you often end up just starting the chapter over instead, or at one of the main "sub-chapter" segments listed in the chapter menu.

Okay, die hard Halo fan here (ever since 11.15.01). I had never played the KillZone games until last week. I was priming myself for ShadowFall, really. And playing through KillZone 2 and 3 reaffirmed why I had always steered clear of the series:

They felt like generic, soulless, run-of-the-mill by-the-books FPS games. The story was ridiculously ham-fisted, the characters one-dimensional and laughable at worst (Rico may go as one of the worst characters in video game history), and the gameplay was akin to whack-a-mole where I would seek cover and then wait until the Helghast popped up from their cover and rinse and repeat. The games sure were pretty, though! I was not sold on the series and I had very low expectations for ShadowFall. Like, really bad expectations.

This ShadowFall game, though? I love it. Like, really really love it. Yes, it is gorgeous. Single-handedly the prettiest game I have seen to day. That is not what makes it so great, though. I actually really dig the characters. A lot. And the story? Very intricately planned and very engaging.
Stahl's hand in re-igniting the war between the Helghast and the ISA was a very nice touch
. And the gameplay worked much better at ShadowFall's pace, in my opinion. I also found the different levels and objectives to strike the perfect balance.
Yes, I thought the freefall section was bullshit, but the mobile defense unit level and prison escape levels were fantastic!

All in all, I am glad I gave this game the benefit of the doubt. I am having fun with it, I am enjoying the presentation and story, and it feels so good to play a platform-specific FPS at launch.

Joined an Elite Warzone playlist as the game ended and my faction lost. *screams*

They really need to fix the win/loss ratio though. It's all over the place, and I know I've won more than lost so it must count quitting in the map selection as a loss or something silly.

You can, in the options. Once I did that it was a lot less annoying.

I don't mind the part in principle, it was how it was introduced and how it was designed in such a way that anybody would have to die at least several times over before knowing what the hell is going on and what exactly was being asked of them, and just how far they could reasonably push things. Not to mention the controls themselves having a backwards default setting.

If I can sum up all of my gripes with ShadowFall into one statement, it'd be that it throws you into the deep end without a paddle. Everything will play out just fine on subsequent playthroughs, but without proper setup and pacing and an introduction to new mechanics in a safe area where you can experiment, it brings that first playthrough to an abrupt and annoying halt enough times to leave a bad taste.

Overall I loved the game though and am looking forward to replaying it. And god damn is it glorious to behold almost the entire time through.

SirCrush

I figure this is the best place to post this...I think...hope...

I have been hearing that this game's soundtrack is pretty good but I have been rather unimpressed thus far. Does anyone know WHY Joris De Man was not the sound designer/composer this time around? He is one of the unheralded gems of video game composition, in my opinion, and not having him aboard for Shadow Fall was a massive mistake by GG.

I don't expect anyone to know but I thought I'd ask. Can't find it on google other than "Joris De Man did not work on Killzone: Shadow Fall."

Muffdraul

You can, in the options. Once I did that it was a lot less annoying.

I don't mind the part in principle, it was how it was introduced and how it was designed in such a way that anybody would have to die at least several times over before knowing what the hell is going on and what exactly was being asked of them, and just how far they could reasonably push things. Not to mention the controls themselves having a backwards default setting.

If I can sum up all of my gripes with ShadowFall into one statement, it'd be that it throws you into the deep end without a paddle. Everything will play out just fine on subsequent playthroughs, but without proper setup and pacing and an introduction to new mechanics in a safe area where you can experiment, it brings that first playthrough to an abrupt and annoying halt enough times to leave a bad taste.

Overall I loved the game though and am looking forward to replaying it. And god damn is it glorious to behold almost the entire time through.

I had my flight controls properly configured before I started the campaign, the controls were not an issue for me. To me it was simply a poorly designed section of the game. If you're going to throw the player into a such a high speed frenetic obstacle course, then it should do a better job of communicating where the clear paths lay. I'm sure there was nothing random about the obstacles, but it sure as hell felt like it at times. It definitely needed at least one more checkpoint, or the checkpoint should have come sooner. I had no idea there was a checkpoint, apparently I didn't fail after I reached it.

The sound mapping and audio engineering in this game is pretty top notch. A lot of you seem to have had problems in the forest level being seen before you even knew the Helghast were there. I was actually clued into nearby enemy units that I didn't see by hearing them before I saw them.

Now, I understand that not all of you have 5.1 or better gaming setups, but I have a pretty well calibrated surround system and several times in the game I heard footsteps or conversation coming from left rear (for example) and spun around and had enough time to ping and decide whether to engage or find a better direction of attack based on what I saw.

I was pretty impressed with that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The sound mapping and audio engineering in this game is pretty top notch. A lot of you seem to have had problems in the forest level being seen before you even knew the Helghast were there. I was actually clued into nearby enemy units that I didn't see by hearing them before I saw them.

Now, I understand that not all of you have 5.1 or better gaming setups, but I have a pretty well calibrated surround system and several times in the game I heard footsteps or conversation coming from left rear (for example) and spun around and had enough time to ping and decide whether to engage or find a better direction of attack based on what I saw.

I was pretty impressed with that.
Played this with my Pulse Elites and it was awesome. Sounds like the sparks on Cassandra were impressive. I just wish the sync was better. A couple conversations with Echo and Sinclair were awkward because the audio wasn't in sync with their lips.

I had my flight controls properly configured before I started the campaign, the controls were not an issue for me. To me it was simply a poorly designed section of the game. If you're going to throw the player into a such a high speed frenetic obstacle course, then it should do a better job of communicating where the clear paths lay. I'm sure there was nothing random about the obstacles, but it sure as hell felt like it at times. It definitely needed at least one more checkpoint, or the checkpoint should have come sooner. I had no idea there was a checkpoint, apparently I didn't fail after I reached it.
Or some simple, non-deadly gliding beforehand to get the rhythm down, get a handle on the depth in the environment to come to grips with possible collisions and just ya know, play with it a bit before being tossed into such an unforgiving gauntlet.

Edit: I wonder if Guerrilla has metrics on just how many player deaths happen right there. I figure it'd make for a hilarious stat.

My experience:

Hey this is that awesome cut-scene, woah, waitasec, am I supposed to be controlli-SPLAT.
OK, this time I'm ready, I guess I can glide with the sticks, like this little press to the left OH SHIT OH SHIT SPLAT. Motherfucker.
OK, go left, go left, why am I sinking so fast? SPLAT
Left, left, wait a sec are my controls reversed? Maybe that's it SPLAT
(change settings)
OK, left, left, up, why am I not going up? Fuck fuck SPLAT
(two more repeats of the same before seeing a message on the loading screen that states you have to descend to get speed to ascend.
Oh, so its like Crackdown 2? Ok. I got this.
Left, left, doing good, descend, yeah, now go up, great, OH SHIT BUILDING SPLAT
How do I get around that building? OK, maybe I do an Arkham City and get right into that small nook space, OH SHIT NOPE SPLAT
(two more repeats of the same until I get to the point where the game points out that circle is air brakes. Thank you fucking game for waiting until now to tell me)
OK, left, left, down to the right, pull up, pull up, fuck that next building, break left, up, up OH SHIT go right DAMMIT CLIFFSIDE INCOMING SPLAT
(two more tries and then nailed the whole course.)
Yeah, that whole section is just fucked.

Hmm. I really hope I can get to this nasty free fall part tonight and see how bad it really is. Im a really good gamer (I have no other hobbies), so I want to know how this really is. Is it comparable to the God of War 3 Icarus tunnles?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hmm. I really hope I can get to this nasty free fall part tonight and see how bad it really is. Im a really good gamer (I have no other hobbies), so I want to know how this really is. Is it comparable to the God of War 3 Icarus tunnles?
It's far harder and you don't have a chance to practice earlier in the game.

Muffdraul

I vaguely recall that part in GoW3, pretty sure this is much worse. In Killzone it's "so much as lightly brush up against an obstacle = instant death". And without a checkpoint during the first couple miles or so, it's pretty rage inducing.

Kinda disappointed with some aspects of the game....

-Is it just me? or does shooting guys just not feel as good as in the previous KZ games? The enemies used to react to each shot, now it feels like they go through a preset animation instead.

-That ghost ship level towards the beginning of the game was terrible....
except for the sun rays melting shit

So far I just haven't been all that impressed with the combat scenarios the game has thrown at me...none of them feel very satisfying for some reason.

I appreciate the freedom this game has given the player but none of the levels (Ive played so far, I haven't beaten the game yet) feel very well designed.

Cyberia

Not sure if it already was mentioned but the OST was composed by Tyler Bates (who was also did God of War: Ascension's soundtrack).

XJF

I have a quick continuity question.

Spoilers for chapters 2 and 4
At the end of chapter 2 you fly off and part of the statue is destroyed. After the initial attack at the beginning of Chapter 4 you board a helicopter with the general dude and he's ranting about the leader of the Black Hand. I thought I saw the statue in all of its former glory in the background

Are the missions in the game not chronological?

Played this with my Pulse Elites and it was awesome. Sounds like the sparks on Cassandra were impressive. I just wish the sync was better. A couple conversations with Echo and Sinclair were awkward because the audio wasn't in sync with their lips.

Didn't think the Pulse Elites were fully supported yet? Did they patch that already?

Edit: Ah, you must mean through the 3.5 jack on the controller.

Hmm. I really hope I can get to this nasty free fall part tonight and see how bad it really is. Im a really good gamer (I have no other hobbies), so I want to know how this really is. Is it comparable to the God of War 3 Icarus tunnels?
You know those gliding challenges you can do in Arkham City to get upgrades? Well now imagine that instead of being side missions you can tackle once you've got the basics down, you were instead introduced to Batman's glide ability from a cut-scene where Joker kicks you off a building.

And now, as you're falling, you have to not only realize you have this new ability, but you have to nail all of those glide challenges right freaking now, in literally the next few seconds, a half a dozen times over or else you'll restart all the way back at the beginning of the gauntlet.

Its like that.

Oh and your controls are reversed by default.

Good luck!

ChuckNyce

Zixxerr is legit. He spent like 4 hours in another Killzone stream yesterday and answered questions from viewers and the streamer himself. He's an environmental artist so he apparently doesn't know a lot about KZ's future but he does know about some of the MP maps. He's good people from what I've seen :)

Yea he was super nice, was just really surprised. Had the most twitch viewers I've ever had at one time and just as I'm about to hop off a GG dev pops in. Was pretty awesome.

Muffdraul

Or some simple, non-deadly gliding beforehand to get the rhythm down, get a handle on the depth in the environment to come to grips with possible collisions and just ya know, play with it a bit before being tossed into such an unforgiving gauntlet.

Edit: I wonder if Guerrilla has metrics on just how many player deaths happen right there. I figure it'd make for a hilarious stat.

It's a hilarious stat on my game alone! In the chapter select menu you can see "Least number of deaths" for every sub-section of every chapter, and mine were like ...4, 1, 0, 3, 1, 2, 7, 0, 3, 40, 0, 3, 3, 5...

JackHerer

Wow this level is so poorly designed. I'm on that research ship/station that I'm supposed to
steer into the sun
wandering around in dark rooms with no idea where to go or what I'm looking for. Fun fun fun.... The last forest level was pretty cool though. Very beautiful.

Game looks oddly blurry at times though.

Krammy

Just got the game and I'm wondering. Does the OWL ever stop beeping? It got so bad I've decided to just not play it until I find out how to turn off the annoying humming/beeping noise it makes when it's on your back.

For anyone who cares, I found out the problem. It was actually a glitch. After hacking the computer when you first get the OWL, the hacking noise continued on after it had finished, and was just constantly beeping. I restarted the game just now hoping to figure out the problem after no one posted about it, and it was suddenly absent. I tried hacking the computer again and this time it finished without issue!

jet1911

Payed a little more, finished the forest level. The gunplay is really, really good. Is there a pistol only MP mode? Because I adore the pistol. The dualshock is so much better at shooter than the PS3 controller. It makes a huuuuge difference.

ChuckNyce

Payed a little more, finished the forest level. The gunplay is really, really good. Is there a pistol only MP mode? Because I adore the pistol. The dualshock is so much better at shooter than the PS3 controller. It makes a huuuuge difference.

I want to say I did see a "Pistol Only" warzone when I browsing yesterday. Only had a few people in it at the time though (around 10 or so I think).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ended up listing my copy of KZ:SF on ebay for 42 bucks about an hour ago and it just sold. I guess I need to hurry up and try to cruise through SP on Easy mode before I ship it out.

I tried man, just not good at FPS games anymore. I probably shouldn't keep buying them. That said I'll probably buy Destiny LOL.

Why aren't people enjoying this? Aside from the crap voice acting I am having a blast. Great graphics, great feeling guns, exciting gameplay, enough variance to prevent boredom ( so far, ch7). To each their own I guess.

No Love

Banned
Why aren't people enjoying this? Aside from the crap voice acting I am having a blast. Great graphics, great feeling guns, exciting gameplay, enough variance to prevent boredom ( so far, ch7). To each their own I guess.

Many of us are. The game is fantastic. Plus, people are still picking up their PS4's and launch games. :)

JCreasy

Pretty impressive rug tech. I don't know if you can tell from the pic but that rug isn't just a flat texture. I aint no video game maker but I think something like tessellation is being used.

BZYHYXIIYAAOW9-.jpg:large

I noticed this too btw!

The next few years is gonna be awesome because this is just first wave tech. Building on details like that is gonna be amazing in future games.

I'm legit excited about next/new gen!

Top Bottom