• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Gator86

So disappointed in the single player. Really curious enjoyed killzone 2 and 3 but shadow fall is just boring. Poor pacing, half-assed plot, zero character development. It seems like the definition of a back of box bullet point campaign. Thank god the multi is so fun.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Killzone shadow fall credits:

post-28035-youre-very6qi2n.gif

Muffdraul

So disappointed in the single player. Really curious enjoyed killzone 2 and 3 but shadow fall is just boring. Poor pacing, half-assed plot, zero character development. It seems like the definition of a back of box bullet point campaign. Thank god the multi is so fun.

I might give you "poor pacing," to me that's always seemed like the vaugest non-complaint that people love to level at any game they simply don't like. But Shadow Fall is certainly no worse than KZ2 or 3 on the other stuff. No way.

Gator86

I might give you "poor pacing," to me that's always seemed like the vaugest non-complaint that people love to level at any game they simply don't like. But Shadow Fall is certainly no worse than KZ2 or 3 on the other stuff. No way.

I feel like this one has way more aimless walking. There's little to no suspense. Encounters seem random with little to no thought put into them by designers.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just played the forest level. I had a few of the snipers shooting at me. One was on a stand. I tried to shoot him with a sniper rifle I picked up earlier and he teleported away. He ended up doing it again. Then, I find him climbing a ladder instead of teleporting up, haha. So I just shot him off the ladder. I thought it was funny.

Anyone else as in to this game than I am?? I was listening to rebel fm today and fucking Arthur gies was hating on it hardcore. I disagreed with almost every point he made. I love this game in almost every wway. Except it is hard sometimes to find your way. That is it. Arthur gies is. Fucking dumbass piece of shot that doesn't know anything about writing reviews

Chapter 8
whoever thought the beginning to chapter 8 with this free fall bullshit was a good idea needs to be dragged out into the middle of the street, beaten with a lead pipe and then blackballed from the game industry

kurbaan

Banned
Anyone else as in to this game than I am?? I was listening to rebel fm today and fucking Arthur gies was hating on it hardcore. I disagreed with almost every point he made. I love this game in almost every wway. Except it is hard sometimes to find your way. That is it. Arthur gies is. Fucking dumbass piece of shot that doesn't know anything about writing reviews

Ah no not this guy again. Thread derailment incoming. Its well known that he hates the series with a passion.

nib95

Banned
Why aren't people enjoying this? Aside from the crap voice acting I am having a blast. Great graphics, great feeling guns, exciting gameplay, enough variance to prevent boredom ( so far, ch7). To each their own I guess.

Loads and loads of people have been singing high praise for the game dude. In fact the majority have been voicing positive opinion with a smaller group offering negative overall opinion.

I honestly think Shadow Fall will be Mercenary all over again.

Finished the campaign and yeah, that was bad. Started out pretty good, but it just goes downhill. It's like they spent all of their time on making eye candy and didn't have time for anything else.

Timu

Beaten the campaign, took me around 13 hours, it's about as long as the 1st Killzone and a step up from length of Killzone 2(8 hours) and Killzone 3(6 hours). I really liked the look of that one near end level.

Yo Guerrilla, please make an entire game of chapters 2 through 6. I don't even care if it it's a Killzone sequel, I just want an entire game of that stuff. Minimal cutscenes and all the "confusing" level design I can handle with all of the navigation and zero grav sections and
prison escapes, and spider bots
, and small CQB enemy encounters, and slower pacing. GIMME ALL DAT

highrider

Banned
I'm just enjoying this as an fps. The music is great, really great. And I gotta say, as Sev I felt like a bit of a doofus, whereas in this I feel like a cool character with the owl and all the hi tech stuff. I've enjoyed all the Killzone campaigns, but this is my favorite by far.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just beat the game. I didn't think the free fall section was too bad. I mean the premise was kinda retarded, but I just held the air brake (circle) the whole time and passed it pretty quickly. Of course, I had to know what the air brake was first because the game doesn't inform you of it right away.

Ending spoilers

Those last levels on Helghan, and then Echo avenging Kellan were awesome!

The Echo section is actually what I was expecting this game to be, with you being a shadow marshall and all. I love silenced pistols. Although the last section was a little frustrating until I got the hang of it, I found it really fun.

jackdoe

Just beat the campaign. I have to say that
the chapter 10 reveal was great. Felt satisfying to assassinate Sinclair.

Just beat the game. I didn't think the free fall section was too bad. I mean the premise was kinda retarded, but I just held the air brake (circle) the whole time and passed it pretty quickly. Of course, I had to know what the air brake was first because the game doesn't inform you of it right away.
If the game told you about the air brake first, no one would have to repeat the section 15 times.

For anyone who cares, I found out the problem. It was actually a glitch. After hacking the computer when you first get the OWL, the hacking noise continued on after it had finished, and was just constantly beeping. I restarted the game just now hoping to figure out the problem after no one posted about it, and it was suddenly absent. I tried hacking the computer again and this time it finished without issue!

I was wondering about this. I didn't hear anything similar to that during my playthrough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yo Guerrilla, please make an entire game of chapters 2 through 6. I don't even care if it it's a Killzone sequel, I just want an entire game of that stuff. Minimal cutscenes and all the "confusing" level design I can handle with all of the navigation and zero grav sections and
prison escapes, and spider bots
, and small, CQB enemy encounters, and slower pacing. GIMME ALL DAT

I agree. Mix in
the stealth from chapter 10 as well

I know I like the game more than most but pretty much everyone will agree that that stretch is the strongest part of the game. It feels unique and more fleshed out than the rest of the game and now that they have the engine up and running on PS4 and won't be rushing for launch, they can flesh those types of missions out a lot more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
About to lose my mind at end of chp7. Found a spawn point that I think will help

Grab the Volt from the gun rack behind where your guys are. It rips through everything and there's a lot of ammo for it. Just put up an OWL shield and keep firing. You barely even have to move.

kurbaan

Banned

Can anyone actually explain why they do the free fall? I mean they are in an aircraft LAND THE GOD DAMN THING.

Chapter 8
whoever thought the beginning to chapter 8 with this free fall bullshit was a good idea needs to be dragged out into the middle of the street, beaten with a lead pipe and then blackballed from the game industry
I keep hearing this, yet I soared through that on my second try... My difficulties were found later in that level.
Can anyone actually explain why they do the free fall? I mean they are in an aircraft LAND THE GOD DAMN THING.
Why fly when you can fall.

I keep hearing this, yet I soared through that on my second try...

I didn't like that there was no guidance on which way to go. I kept hitting the same things over and over and only through trial and error (and watching a video walkthrough)did I learn which ways I had to maneuver to make it through.

Trial and error is annoying when they don't tell you what you did wrong
aside from hitting a rock and having to start over

th4tguy

Are people really finding the levels layouts and objectives confusing? I haven't hit a single spot where I couldn't figure out what to do by either listening to audio queues from in game characters or looking for visual queues in the level itself. It's not complicated but does provide a nice open feel. I'm pretty disappointed with the reviewers. I feel like they rushed through the game and didn't even pay attention to what they were doing.

Scrabble

Are people really finding the levels layouts and objectives confusing? I haven't hit a single spot where I couldn't figure out what to do by either listening to audio queues from in game characters or looking for visual queues in the level itself. It's not complicated but does provide a nice open feel. I'm pretty disappointed with the reviewers. I feel like they rushed through the game and didn't even pay attention to what they were doing.

People have been spoiled into having their hand held and for games to always point them exactly where they need to be. People don't like getting lost in games. If a game doesn't funnel the player and tell them exactly where to go and where to be, then somehow the game is "aimless." The poor reception makes me sad for future shooters. Developers are going to continue making games that treat players like idiots with ADD who can't afford to spend time exploring or discovering where to go. Consequences will never be the same, you all will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
its marked above the door and i am pressing l1 for the past 1 hour and nothing. ive covered every inch around the door

Haha, that same thing happened to me and I felt like a fucking idiot.

The marker is above the door, but the vent is too the right of that (above and to the right of the stairs). I think Echo is staring directly at it.

Got 48 kills with the StA59B Pulver[izer] earlier:

http://youtu.be/xqgc5R6tEzY

StA59B and the VC30 are my go-to weapons for Support. Such an awesome class to use with great abilities for Warzone that really helps your team out.

Such a good looking map. All of them look excellent, but The Wall in particular has great atmosphere. When you're in the bottom level shooting up at enemies who are silhouetted by the spotlight, it seriously looks like a bullshot. Mix in the muzzle flashes + the smoke, and it's really a feast for the eyes.

Such a good looking map. All of them look excellent, but The Wall in particular has great atmosphere. When you're in the bottom level shooting up at enemies who are silhouetted by the spotlight, it seriously looks like a bullshot. Mix in the muzzle flashes + the smoke, and it's really a feast for the eyes.

Definitely one of my favorite maps. Being in the trenches with all the action going on feels like I'm in a damn war.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People have been spoiled into having their hand held and for games to always point them exactly where they need to be. People don't like getting lost in games. If a game doesn't funnel the player and tell them exactly where to go and where to be, then somehow the game is "aimless." The poor reception makes me sad for future shooters. Developers are going to continue making games that treat players like idiots with ADD who can't afford to spend time exploring or discovering where to go. Consequences will never be the same, you all will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

This game has some open ended areas, but it really doesn't feel like it encourages exploring, because it's mostly just a bunch of empty space with repeated art assets. I feel like if they offered up something to make the non-critical path areas unique or at least have something to make them worth visiting, people wouldn't be frustrated with "getting lost," because they wouldn't feel like they were wasting their time.

Milennia

Just finished the campaign, i thought the story was a little all ofer the place and some of the non shooting (and sometimes even shooting) sections were a little tedious at times.

Overall though, i went through it in about 1 and a half sittings, so i was engaged enough for that, i liked the story overall though i can very well see why most wouldn't (I'm a fan of Killzone lore and love sci-fi shooters in general).

Multiplayer is icing on the cake for me. Just fun as hell.

(A lot of ,y time in the campaign was spent over the wow factor lol, game is fucking gorgeous, must have taken over 100 screenshots)

So far I've gotten up to what feels like the middle-end of the game. The part I'm at right now is fucking frustratign as hell. That freaking protect that container while in space sequence is grating my nerves right now.

Kolgar

Like the first three console Killzones, I played and finished Shadow Fall in three days.

Unlike the first three Killzone games, I didn't like this one at all.

Not sure where the series goes from here, but I for one think it may be time for GG to explore a new IP.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have killed all of the zones. Just finished Campaign and yeah...reviews mostly missed a lot of what I enjoyed about the game. It was solid as all hell through and through. The storyline starts off a tad fractured and well...dumb but when it kicks in, it really kept me interested. I loved Echo. Great, great character. Some of the sections were a bit offputting (Chapter 7/8 were low points), but everything else was gravy. It was just a great, fun campaign with some tremendous shootbang encounters and incredible graphics. I just don't see where all the middling reviews come from, unless it's from FPS fatigue. I haven't played the genre in a while, so it felt very fresh to me. This campaign runs circles around many games that were better received IMO.

UNCMark

Banned
Has anyone gotten their Shadow Pack code from Amazon yet? I just called asking where it was and then have no record of ever offering it for pre-order, so they gave me 15 dollars of credit to make me go away. But I'd still like to have those OWL skins.

Top Bottom