• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

BajiBoxer

Banned
I complained about the mission marker earlier, but really hasn't been an issue since the forest level for me. In the forest level, I had a hard time figuring out where to go after the smoking crash site. Now my biggest issues with the campaign are the horrendous save system, and the disjointed story telling. I haven't come across an individual story moment that really felt bad, but so far it creates a feeling like I'm missing something between chapters. Kind of like skipping episodes in a tv series where continuity is important. The is also one instance where the shooter gameplay just didn't match with the way the story was being told. Basically a part of the story where having two automatic rifles and a robot on me made little since, but there they are because it's a shooter and I need to shoot dudes.

Kinda random question from somebody who hasn't read this thread or have a ps4:

How is the hair in this game? Does it still look all funky and incredibly fake like it does in last gen games

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Surprised how much I am liking the campaign... until The Spire level. What a nice looking, whacky, uneven mess of a level.

mobius006

I think I like this more then KZ3? Maybe? I played half of Mercenaries and think that has better level designs. I get lost a lot on this.

I also have issues figuring out where I'm shot from.

Oozer3993

I just lost all my Campaign progress to a corrupted save. While playing Botzone. I finished a match, chose to go back to the main menu and the game crashed. When I booted it back up, I got a message that the game had discovered corrupted data. *Poof* Campaign data gone. Just wonderful.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I just lost all my Campaign progress to a corrupted save. While playing Botzone. I finished a match, chose to go back to the main menu and the game crashed. When I booted it back up, I got a message that the game had discovered corrupted data. *Poof* Campaign data gone. Just wonderful.

Check the cloud saves, maybe you can redownload the save or at least one with progress in it.

Theres little to no hair. Either buzz cuts, hoods , hats or bald.

Alright thanks. Just curious because hair is now my biggest graphical pet peeve in the past generation's games, knowing that it was much better in the ps4 games already would make me ridiculously jealous

Oozer3993

While on the Killzone tile in the OS, if you go to the Options -> Update History, you'll see one of the updates includes "Free Weekend trial support." It's probably nothing major or I'm just dumbly missing something, but that kind of sounds like the game might be getting Steam-like free weekend play for people who don't own the game.

Check the cloud saves, maybe you can redownload the save or at least one with progress in it.

You, sir, just saved me a great deal of heartache, thank you! I had a cloud save from when I stopped playing the Campaign a couple hours ago. I had no idea the PS4 uploaded saves into the cloud that often. That is a very neat feature.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel really stupid asking. But I'm at the first freefall segment and have no idea where I'm supposed to land. I just keep dying over and over. It's getting irritating now. I'm probably just tired, but I can'f figure it out.

EDIT: REALLY. LMAO Okay, so I pressed my josytick all the way up and landed closer to the door which auto triggered the sequence of him putting down the parachute thingy. So dumb. I always landed close to that spot, and it would always result in my death. So silly to need to be that precise (and it didn't even have an indicator there, that said where it wanted me to drop). It's all guess work.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Uhh this game is incredible to me still. I've never played a game where reviews were off so bad (again the exception being resistance 2)

scoobs

Uhh this game is incredible to me still. I've never played a game where reviews were off so bad (again the exception being resistance 2)

im struggling to see how anyone could have this point of view after playing 6 or 7 hours of the singleplayer. I just dislike it so much

Really not feeling the SP campaign after the first two missions, the game is beautiful though. The multiplayer, on the other hand, is the best FPS multiplayer ive played in years. Tactical, smooth and addictive as hell.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm finding the first few levels of the campaign rather dreadful. Just got to (presumably) the level they showed off at E3, so I hope it picks up....

ChawlieTheFair

I feel really stupid asking. But I'm at the first freefall segment and have no idea where I'm supposed to land. I just keep dying over and over. It's getting irritating now. I'm probably just tired, but I can'f figure it out.

EDIT: REALLY. LMAO Okay, so I pressed my josytick all the way up and landed closer to the door which auto triggered the sequence of him putting down the parachute thingy. So dumb. I always landed close to that spot, and it would always result in my death. So silly to need to be that precise (and it didn't even have an indicator there, that said where it wanted me to drop). It's all guess work.

That bit took me at least 15 tries, so bad lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The bold sums up the bad parts of this game. There is no logical rhyme or reason to much of it. It's just a bunch of guess work.

Anyway, I just got half way through chapter 8 before I just had to quit after yet another fucking sensor tower putricite (or whatever) canister plugging "puzzle" with heavy mechanized infantry terrorizing me. It's just not fun at all. Don't get me started on the intro sequence to this chapter 8... what the fuck were they thinking? I know it's already been beaten to death in this thread, but it is impossible that anyone on this planet Earth could have thought that was even remotely a good idea, much less an enjoyable thing to play. I didn't think it could get worse after that "protect Massar" sequence in space where suddenly I turned into a human rocket launcher with infinite ammo without any kind of explanation, but oh boy did it ever.

It's really kind of mind boggling how insanely bad some parts of this game are. It really bugs me, because it looks absolutely phenomenal. It's probably the best looking game I've played, and chapter 8 is high on that list, but the gameplay can just be so bad at times... *sigh* it's almost over, I suppose. What a frustrating journey.

dcassell

Banned
Just finished the game. I mean, I did have some trouble with certain spots in the campaign, but it wasn't anything as frustrating as, say, some of the bosses in Deus Ex:HR without an optimized character. With the right weapons, most situations were pretty easy to get through. Free fall sections were pretty ridiculous, but I got through after a few tries. I thought it was a pretty enjoyable shooter although
that ending came out of nowhere and was very anticlimactic. Killing off the main character and then instantly getting revenge five minutes later was pretty odd.

Multiplayer makes up for the mistakes. I didn't seem to run into the huge frustration like a lot of other people.

Well, made it to Chapter 9, particularly the part where they through you in a small room with about a million guys to kill. Needless to say, I'm getting my butt kicked trying to kill all of them. Any tips? At a certain point, can I make a run for it or do I really have to kill them all?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, made it to Chapter 9, particularly the part where they through you in a small room with about a million guys to kill. Needless to say, I'm getting my butt kicked trying to kill all of them. Any tips? At a certain point, can I make a run for it or do I really have to kill them all?

Another thing that pissed me off. Some rooms have infinite respawns. This play session had me spending 10 minutes shooting dudes until I randomly decided to run to the other side of the room and saw a prompt to place some C4 to shatter the glass and trigger the lame-ass human rocket launcher mini game.

Just pure guess work.

Another thing that pissed me off. Some rooms have infinite respawns. This play session had me spending 10 minutes shooting dudes until I randomly decided to run to the other side of the room and saw a prompt to place some C4 to shatter the glass and trigger the lame-ass human rocket launcher mini game.

Just pure guess work.

Really? Oh man... You don't know how much I time I was spending on this damn room. There are parts of this game that are really amazing, and then there are parts like this that are just awful.

How the hell do I beat this section?

just got done rescuing Massar...protecting the platform now.

I get to the point where I defeat the ATACS, but due to having to run back to home base I'm completely overwhelmed by enemies and have died like 30 times in a row.

No checkpoints, WTF

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Oh man... You don't know how much I time I was spending on this damn room. There are parts of this game that are really amazing, and then there are parts like this that are just awful.

I'm not sure if that room is one of them. I'm still just half way through chapter 8.

Speaking of really awful, I just got to the part at the start of Chapter 8 where you freefall. My God, whoever designed this section of the game needs to be dragged out of his office into the street and shot in the head. I recommend the double-tap just to be sure. I wasn't even living long enough to get to where it says "Press O to use Air-Brake" because I didn't realize that Combat controls and Flight controls had to be inverted separately, so I kept on steering up instead of down and vice versa and running into the first building almost immediately. I wasted 20 minutes on this bullshit until I realized I had to go into the Settings and invert the Flight controls separately, then I could actually finish this bull-fucking-shit sequence.

The part where you fall through the spinning blades in Chapter 7 was a bit annoying too but this freefall section in Chapter 8 is absolutely wretched. Stop flinging me through space and making me fall through the atmosphere and shit and let me WALK AROUND AND SHOOT THINGS. Goddammit, Guerrilla.

ChawlieTheFair

How the hell do I beat this section?

just got done rescuing Massar...protecting the platform now.

I get to the point where I defeat the ATACS, but due to having to run back to home base I'm completely overwhelmed by enemies and have died like 30 times in a row.

No checkpoints, WTF

Eventually it will tell you to
get into an ATAC turret thing at the very top of the platform
. Use that otherwise its impossible.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of really awful, I just got to the part at the start of Chapter 8 where you freefall. My God, whoever designed this section of the game needs to be dragged out of his office into the street and shot in the head. I recommend the double-tap just to be sure.

The part where you fall through the spinning blades in Chapter 7 was a bit annoying too but this freefall section in Chapter 8 is absolutely wretched. Stop flinging me through space and making me fall through the atmosphere and shit and let me WALK AROUND AND SHOOT THINGS. Goddammit, Guerrilla.

Hey, we got these cool-ass hover bike things to fly us around. Fuck it, let's jump off and free-fall to the surface? Huh?

Also, gotta love how the important characters in this game are immune to heat. First it was your being immune to the heat of a goddamn sun (that previously melted soldiers while inside of the space ship), and then you're somehow surviving entering the atmosphere of a planet at extreme speeds on a hover bike.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I want to play this game just to see how bad Chapter 8 really is.

It's really bad. I like the rest of the game but that chapter is a lot of bad ideas rolled into one. Thankfully it's not too long and it's gorgeous to walk around in.

Hey, we got these cool-ass hover bike things to fly us around. Fuck it, let's jump off and free-fall to the surface? Huh?

Also, gotta love how the important characters in this game are immune to heat. First it was your being immune to the heat of a goddamn sun (that previously melted soldiers while inside of the space ship), and then you're somehow surviving entering the atmosphere of a planet at extreme speeds on a hover bike.

The part I don't even get is, I didn't see your amazing Shadow Marshal put his helmet back on before he was ejected out of the burning ship. So even assuming that he became suddenly immune to the heat of being right next to a burning star, would still be flash-frozen and then his blood would boil in his vessels and he would explode because he was suddenly being thrown out into the vacuum of space from a pressurized environment.

I know it's already been discussed, but it can't be said enough. The freefall section in
fallen city with the crumbling buildings
is easily one of the worst experiences I've had in a shooter. It comes right after a sequence that is pretty shitty already where I'm starving for normal controls again. THEN when I finally beat it, I couldn't take enough so I quit the game. Forgetting that it doesn't save at checkpoints I booted it up today and had to redo the entire sequence.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the most angry I've ever been at a game. Congrats Guerilla.

Holy crap, just played that segment. Terrible. Just terrible.

Pretty sure, I made the same mistake as you - didn't realize it doesn't save at checkpoints (what the heck!?). Guess I get to relive the pain tomorrow.

If the rest of the game weren't so great it'd be easy and I'd just give up on it, but I really dig the game one general.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is this back where all my guys are? And when does this transition occur - right when the dropship comes, or later?

There's a turret that appears out of nowhere?

Yes. Well, I don't know if it was there, but it suddenly allows you to get in it.

It's behind where your guys were fortified. You have to climb the stairs.

Dysun

I'm almost done with the campaign and I really dont get some of the critiques from reviewers or other gamers.

The often brought up "Dont know where to go" is baffling my mind. I mean how hard is it to press Up on the D-Pad if you ever get disoriented? People are so spoiled by Fable breadcrumbs or walking down a straight line even a faux open area confuses them? I didn't find the free-falling sequences to be all that difficult either. Unless it all goes to shit in the final 2 chapters this is easily my favorite Killzone campaign to date, and full of fresh ideas (OWL, Stealth) that are criminally underrated. The narrative is obviously hamfisted, but I never expected much in that area.

Penryn

Banned
Like the first three console Killzones, I played and finished Shadow Fall in three days.

Unlike the first three Killzone games, I didn't like this one at all.

Not sure where the series goes from here, but I for one think it may be time for GG to explore a new IP.

They are lol

kurbaan

Banned
Yes. Well, I don't know if it was there, but it suddenly allows you to get in it.

It's behind where your guys were fortified. You have to climb the stairs.

Its not there at first. That mission you are defending the people getting that turret ship up and running. At the very end of it the ship with turrent appears and you can get into it. So you have to fight on the ground for a while before it comes.

Is this back where all my guys are? And when does this transition occur - right when the dropship comes, or later?

There's a turret that appears out of nowhere?

It doesnt appear out of no where its the ship. The best way I found to do the mission was lob trip mines all around. Pick up the Electric Bolt gun and just go crazy shooting everyone from the platform you start on. There is no need to ever get off. Just watch out for guys coming from the sides by doing scans. You can get through easy enough. And then when they say get to the turret you'll notice all your men leave and those big drones start coming. Just turn around and on the platform there are these steps with a ship on the top. You can check for this platform at the start of it an you'll see there is noting at the top yet.

Just finished this and talk about disappointing. Started off extremely good and then the last three chapters happen and the game nose dives hard finishing with a terrible ending. What a shame.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cross posting from the MP thread:
MP gives me a headache. I play a lot of FPS and this has never happened before. Played the campaign for hours no problem but the FXAA blur and fake motion blur make the game hard on the eyes. The constantly fluctuating framerate doesn't help either. Is the FoV smaller than SP?

Finished the level from the reveal, enjoying it so far but I've heard it gets worse as it goes along. Surprised at just how Half-Life this game is, running around placing energy cores and the like. It's kind of a crappy Half-Life, but still seems a nice change of pace after giving BF4 singleplayer a shot and just hating it. Haven't had that much trouble progressing through the levels, though the train track section was a bit frustrating, trying to find which direction a guy is shooting you at and if he's below or above you.

Story has been garbage though, laughable really. Crazy how they can keep doing some potentially poignant scenes and just completely bungle them up. Also can't help but wonder why such a technologically advance civilization has such trouble with audio clipping on their audio logbooks and cameras.

Oh, and it looks pretty decent.

MaLDo

I just saw this screen on ps4 thread

j2TS6R21fVUKs.jpg

and it's a bit weird because looking at it seems that Shadowfall doesn't have a real bokeh filter. Seems a normal dof for the background and precalculated textures for every particle. Look a this (low res texture with same orientation for every particle and mask artifact)

killzonebokeh.png

It does not prevent Shadowfall be a visual wonder, it's just an observation.

Milennia

Oh yeah forgot to mention, my most hated part of the game (even more than the freefall) was the chapter 9 section...the final section.

Hate that shit.

nOoblet16

I just saw this screen on ps4 thread

j2TS6R21fVUKs.jpg

and it's a bit weird because looking at it seems that Shadowfall doesn't have a real bokeh filter. Seems a normal dof for the background and precalculated textures for every particle. Look a this (low res texture with same orientation for every particle and mask artifact)

killzonebokeh.png

It does not prevent Shadowfall be a visual wonder, it's just an observation.

That's a screen from multiplayer, could be a multiplayer only feature since they target 1080p 60FPS.
Also I think Battlefield 4 does the same in a lot of places, pre calculated and pre blurred particles to give the appearence of bokeh.

Top Bottom