• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The ending itself doesn't ruin the game. The sheer ammount of frustration that comes out in gameplay design does. Starting with theose annoying spider boxes at chpater 7, and then the huge rocket machines in the next level with the crab walkers, and then the free fall, and then the final,final bit... Just all screamed frustration to the max.

You can hack the spider mine crates. I agree the walkers and free fall sucked, chapter 8 is really bad and 7 and 9 just throw a lot of enemies at you but I really enjoyed 2, 4-6, and 10.

You can hack the spider mine crates. I agree the walkers and free fall sucked, chapter 8 is really bad and 7 and 9 just throw a lot of enemies at you but I really enjoyed 2, 4-6, and 10.

I enjoyed those as well but it just put a really sour note in my experince. If the story and ending had been more fleshed out I could look past it even, but the final hours of the game just become something I had wished they didn't. I would still play Killzone PS4 part 2 but really hope they learn from their mistakes on this one.

I like a lot of what they did with the sp in this, but they did seem to need to put more time into some aspects. There was a lot of design decisions that just seemed odd. I pray they don't go back to the extremely linear CoD style of game that KZ2 and 3 were. They were going good direction here, but needed to iron out lot of their ideas. The encounter design could use more balancing and it just feels cheap at times.

I just started playing yesterday. I stopped just before taking out the AA guns in Chapter 2 (I hit the checkpoint in that area), but when I played today, it started me a decent ways back (before I had picked up my primary weapon).

Do you have to finish a chapter before it saves in the case of closing the application or did I encounter a save glitch? I've seen mention of using cloud saves too -- how is that done?

Thanks in advance...

The game has some odd checkpoint placement, you don't have to completely beat a chapter, but the checkpoints for restarting the game when you come back are not the same as the basic game save spots. If you die you respawn in a checkpoint, but if you exit game and comeback, it might stick you several spots back. It's not consistent.

AngryBird

Banned
I just started playing yesterday. I stopped just before taking out the AA guns in Chapter 2 (I hit the checkpoint in that area), but when I played today, it started me a decent ways back (before I had picked up my primary weapon).

Do you have to finish a chapter before it saves in the case of closing the application or did I encounter a save glitch? I've seen mention of using cloud saves too -- how is that done?

Thanks in advance...

This made me so mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had progressed so much in chp4 and after i open KZ again (which was just 1 hour break lol) I started from the beginning. That's not a checkpoint ffs.

Was enjoyign the game very much untill this happened.

kurbaan

Banned
She's the first cool protagonist the series has had. Even though she isn't too fleshed out, she's actually likable which is more than I can say for most of the player/squad characters. Her design is awesome too.

yeah echo is great a whole game as her could be cool.

I think they need to move away from the ISA. In all the killzone games I've played the ISA always seem like the bad guys with the amount of atrocities they have inflicted on the helgan.
even in this game I was just waiting for the main character to switch sides.

AngryBird

Banned
This was my first KZ game and I think the SP is amazing. I never play SP in games(uninterested and boring) maybe that's why I'm impressed so much.

Last one was BF3 it was puke inducing bore fest, my brain began to rot as I was quitting the game, and then jumped out of the window to a get some thrill.

Pretty impressive rug tech. I don't know if you can tell from the pic but that rug isn't just a flat texture. I aint no video game maker but I think something like tessellation is being used.

BZYHYXIIYAAOW9-.jpg:large

how about some high res shots of that? (preferably from different angles)

(some of the) material work in this game is stellar

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I believe they're patching the difficulty of it. So us Euro lads and lasses won't ever be able to feel your frustrations lol. Any particular trick to it? Seems like not everyone found it difficult. Maybe the use of air brake from the get go?

The main problem is that they throw you right into it without having any time to get used to the brand-new control scheme that has never been used once in the previous 10 hours. The scene starts and if you don't know how to move, you will die within the first 2 seconds. So, you're just sitting there dumbfounded wondering what the hell happened. If you're like a lot of people in this thread, you'll spend the next 10 minutes trying to get a handle on the controls while making tiny bits of progress until it finally clicks.

If they had put in an easier section that let you get a hang of the controls first, I think that part wouldn't have been so bad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I enjoyed those as well but it just put a really sour note in my experince. If the story and ending had been more fleshed out I could look past it even, but the final hours of the game just become something I had wished they didn't. I would still play Killzone PS4 part 2 but really hope they learn from their mistakes on this one.
Agreed. Even though I'm very positive on this game, I think the launch rush really hurt it. What's good is very good but the flaws could be too much for some people. Thankfully this game is guaranteed to sell well and GG has three teams now. I think the series will continue and they have a very strong base to build on with the best missions from Shadow Fall, they just need to take their time. Both KZ3 and this suffered from some obvious rushing at parts.

Seems like evey time I load up multiplayer I play one of the same 4 maps I seen with a gamemode thats not fun and I end up sucking the place up.

I just wanna play team death match on a rotation of maps.

R3TRODYCE

I made it to chapter 9 and I must say that Chapter 7 and 8 are two of the worst missions that I've played in a long time. I'm enjoying the story though.

The ending itself doesn't ruin the game. The sheer ammount of frustration that comes out in gameplay design does. Starting with theose annoying spider boxes at chpater 7, and then the huge rocket machines in the next level with the crab walkers, and then the free fall, and then the final,final bit... Just all screamed frustration to the max.

These are pretty much what pissed me off about the later sections of the game the most. When all I wanted to do was sneak around murdering Helghasts, and occasionally take up defensive positions and wipe out waves of the suckers, I was stuck hiding from robots on multiple occasions. It reminded me of the Shadow Moses chapter of MGS4 and how disappointing that was gameplay wise.
I had the same sense of hope returning to Helghan and was let down by fucking robots again!

I thought a Shadow Marshall main character would take the franchise to interesting new places but in the end I actually missed the basic invasion scenarios of KZ1-3, I just wanted to blow more higgs away and the last few chapters' encounters weren't that challenging, I died a lot more because of the stupid scanning robots.

I don't care if Killzone never comes back after this but if it does, I wish they'd at least re-visit the 4-character squad idea from the first game and let us switch characters at will. It would definitely make for more interesting gameplay than they've managed to come up with since then.

I want to like this game but it just doesn't feel like it has anything really going for it. Its a mediocre shooter at best. But I will hold off total judgment until I beat it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Wondering if I should just stop playing after Chapter 6 based on impressions. It has been an uneven campaign so far but I'm enjoying it more than most FPS games.

kurbaan

Banned
Seems like evey time I load up multiplayer I play one of the same 4 maps I seen with a gamemode thats not fun and I end up sucking the place up.

I just wanna play team death match on a rotation of maps.

Yeah i find that kinda annoying you usually play the same maps. I think its because the map icons / text are so small and there is so little time to vote for a map between rounds people just press x and pick the first couple on the screen.

As for game mode you are playing Warzone which is a different game type. You should play the "Team DeathMatch" games.

I haven't played the game yet, and i'm sure i will enjoy most of it, but Guerilla, please.. A game doesn't have to do EVERYTHING. Focus on what makes Guerilla truely great. There is no need for tacked on platforming. No need for hollywood rollercoaster bullshit.
You have this awesome universe and background, some of the best artists and artdirectors in the world. A great european history and legacy.
You guys are way too talented to waste it on generic american buddymovie bullshit.
That's why people loved Killzone 2 so much. Not because it was just gritty and not because it was perfect, but because it was grounded more in your own true roots. I thought Shadowfall had all of that, reading the previews (the Berlin wall reference for instance) but now i keep reading these weird things in hands on reports. I understand that you're not JUST a Dutch company, but why not focus on european actors? Rudger Hauer, Carice van Houten, Halina Reijn, Famke Janssen, Tygo, Thom Hoffman, Bruno Ganz, Stellan Skarsgård, etc. And these are just well known ones but there are many more. And if you are going for cinematic, then why not more european cinema? Spanish movies, swedish, german, danish, etc. This will all make a game stand out much more than following the route you are taking in the last two games (i think).

Anyway, big fan, but also confused about certain decisions.

And ofcourse i'm speaking before i have even played the game. So i might not even agree with what i said here when i'm done playing :p.

Honestly I feel like GG are really great at tech but they usually fall short on story and its execution. They need some talent from studios like ND to help them out. They have an amazing backstory and they always fail in its execution. Get some fresh talent in your studio. I hope their new IP doesn't suffers from this.

Wondering if I should just stop playing after Chapter 6 based on impressions. It has been an uneven campaign so far but I'm enjoying it more than most FPS games.

Keep playing and see for yourself. It's not awful by any stretch of the imagination, but I personally felt it tried to throw in too much extraneous gameplay stuff, for a story that didn't really go very far.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Whoever developed the idea for the beggining of stage eight... Stop having ideas. Seriously. Never have another idea again, and if you think about having one, stop yourself right there.

btkadams

Whoever developed the idea for the beggining of stage eight... Stop having ideas. Seriously. Never have another idea again, and if you think about having one, stop yourself right there.

yeah, that was so messed up. they should have made the falling sequence the exact same surroundings/path but have you on a rail with stuff to shoot out of your path. it would have been more entertaining for me at least.

graywolf323

grr so I'm struggling towards the end of chapter 7 I think
where you and the extraction team have to fight off waves of Helghast

even on easy I'm getting killed :-/ any tips?

drproton

grr so I'm struggling towards the end of chapter 8 I think
where you and the extraction team have to fight off waves of Helghast

even on easy I'm getting killed :-/ any tips?

I used that laser weapon on the weapon racks that breaks shields and sent my owl as far as i could in the center of the area in attack mode. That worked after a few tries on hard.

I put on my headset and played warzone with my cousin last night and it was the most fun I've had playing video games in a long time. It sucks that the campaign shortcomings are bringing the review scores for this game down

drproton

I just discovered the collectibles menu under the single-player tab of the main menu.

The "Play this section" option for undiscovered items is brilliant.

I'm not much into shooters but I decided to pick it up since a friend was as well. Enjoying the single player. I seem to be aiming better than I do in most shooters despite no auto-aim. At chapter 6 right now and the only real complaint I have is button prompts are hard for me to read unless I'm sitting really close.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any tips on the beginning of Chapter 10?
(surveillance cameras and a bunch of guards outside)
Stay cloaked, it's infinite until you shoot or shut it off manually. Use spider mines to destroy cameras stealthily since they cans ee through the cloak.

Thanks. Had no idea you could scroll that.
Oh shit. Neither did I.

Thanks.

I used that laser weapon on the weapon racks that breaks shields and sent my owl as far as i could in the center of the area in attack mode. That worked after a few tries on hard.
I used it too for a while, but sometimes it would just stop working. Still had ammo but would absolutely not fire. Even reloaded from a checkpoint, grabbed it, and it would just not fire. When it worked it was pretty damn powerful.

What worked for me:
Avoid that main elevated walkway you start on, as the enemy wipes out the cover quickly and you're within sight of everybody. I stuck to the sides and back of the main structure, using the wall as cover. I let them get closer, used the drone to stun, and unleashed doom. Once the objective changes and you're using much heavier firepower make sure to keep the area immediately around you secure, otherwise they'll kill you while you're focused downfield.

Muffdraul

Apparently if you just use air brake (circle) it's much easier. You can invert controls as well if you want to make it easier still.

I love how first they give you a little help message warning you that need to go as fast as possible to maintain lift, then they tell you about the brake so you can slow down. Just some really thoughtless design on that section. Clearly they were in a rush to make the launch.

Scrabble

Can't wait till I get to chapter 8 just to see what everyone is talking about. I'm willing to bet it's really not that bad, just like the chase missions in AC3 or the turret sequence in Dead Space weren't that bad. People tend to get up in arms over the simplest things in games that aren't at all difficult. I'm sure there's a trick that people just aren't getting.

Oh and if you find this game too confusing, than you're an idiot. Or have just been too spoiled by modern shooters.

Grinchy

Banned
For anyone who cares, I found out the problem. It was actually a glitch. After hacking the computer when you first get the OWL, the hacking noise continued on after it had finished, and was just constantly beeping. I restarted the game just now hoping to figure out the problem after no one posted about it, and it was suddenly absent. I tried hacking the computer again and this time it finished without issue!

haha oh wow, that would have been so annoying

DMeisterJ

Banned
Finished the SP. Very weak. And if definitely dragged in the beginning and end. The middle was the relative highlight to the whole experience.

I feel like I'm one of the few that really liked this campaign. It does stumble a few times, with one or two dreadful parts from a design standpoint. But overall the guns feel powerful, audio work is golden, and the game itself offers some nice variety, both in scenarios and environments. Levels are more open and multi-layered than other shooter series out there, and the drone powers are actually very useful and far more than a gimmick.

I see the mild platforming bits as palette cleansers where Guerrilla gets to show off their tech and their world and establish some mood between the loud combat encounters.

Stealth isn't half-baked and relegated to a single level like KZ3, but is now an *option* you can utilize most of the time if you want, with the nice addition of comm towers you can hack to avoid reinforcements.

Nor is this game filled with on-rails shooting segments like KZ3, or the QTEs that plague other games.

I dunno. I see a lot to like here, and a lot of ambition on the part of GG, not only in terms of presentation, but in trying to build out more of their world, establish some sympathetic characters and situations, but also in providing non-linearity, choice and variety to the moment to moment gameplay, most of which pays off. If you want to talk shooter cliches like so many of the reviews have brought up, go and play some COD and BF campaigns and get back to me. Hell, play the Halo 4 campaign too while you're at it. I'd rather fight the Helghast than the Prometheans any day.

highrider

Banned
I feel like I'm one of the few that really liked this campaign. It does stumble a few times, with one or two dreadful parts from a design standpoint. But overall the guns feel powerful, audio work is golden, and the game itself offers some nice variety, both in scenarios and environments. Levels are more open and multi-layered than other shooter series out there, and the drone powers are actually very useful and far more than a gimmick.

I see the mild platforming bits as palette cleansers where Guerrilla gets to show off their tech and their world and establish some mood between the loud combat encounters.

Stealth isn't half-baked and relegated to a single level like KZ3, but is now an *option* you can utilize most of the time if you want, with the nice addition of comm towers you can hack to avoid reinforcements.

Nor is this game filled with on-rails shooting segments like KZ3, or the QTEs that plague other games.

I dunno. I see a lot to like here, and a lot of ambition on the part of GG, not only in terms of presentation, but in trying to build out more of their world, establish some empathetic characters and situations, but also in providing non-linearity, choice and variety to the moment to moment gameplay, most of which pays off. If you want to talk shooter cliches like so many of the reviews have brought up, go and play some COD and BF campaigns and get back to me. Hell, play the Halo 4 campaign too while you're at it. I'd rather fight the Helghast than the Prometheans any day.

I'm with you completely on this.

Penryn

Banned
I have to agree with you here. I feel like the campaign, for a launch game on time restraints is actually pretty good. NO QTE's. Limited on rail segments, and overall a pretty stunning graphical presentation. I am pretty sure the next Killzone game will bring in all the good graphics of ShadowFall with the time and polish KZ2 got. I hope anyway.

I finished the campaign last night and here are some final impressions.

Yea, There are really some areas that needed some more work and thought. But its a launch game and no matter what he had to be done on Nov. 15th! There are just silly things missing like voice chat in multiplayer (unless you are in a system level party) and overall MP is a step back from the previous games. But then again, with fewer people playing they probably had to. I would imagine they might flesh out the MP in some updates and have said they are looking to fix it.

The Campaign is honestly not that bad. If you are somewhat familiar with worldly politics, this game is a unapologetic allegory of the Israel/Palestine situation. The Rich Vektans/Israelis vs. the Poor Helghast/Palestinians. They spent HOURS AND HOURS in the New Helghan slums because they want you to see the effects this war has had on the Helghast people. They go over and over again about how the Helghast leadership has no choice but to maintain its war economy. You can see it at the Helghast military instillations, its clean and modern because it's where all the money goes. At this point in the game, even with the super weapon used on the Vektan fleet, they still managed to lose because at this point they have been thoroughly beaten and the Vekta has the clearly superior fighting force that the Helghast have had to resort to terrorist and doomsday weapons. Yet the cycle continues because the Vektans refuse to back down.

I think what ultimately bothers people about the Killzone series is it's criticism of humanity. There is no good or bad side in conflict for the control of Alpha Centari, Don't forget, it was the VETKANS that made the biogenic holocaust weapon before the Helghast stole it!

Echo I think represents where this story goes next, Hybrids who are tired of the fighting and put a stop it all by challenging both sides to come to the table and form one government for one people.

tensuke

Has anyone said anything about the NPC conversations? I stopped to listen to some before going to the VSA building (chapter 4 I think?), it's kind of hilarious how poor some of them are. I know that kind of thing isn't important, so I'm not criticizing them, I just think they're pretty funny. The VOs seem to be ad libbing the conversations from all the stuttering and random segues.

NO QTE's.

Pretty sure
the first time you meet Echo there's a QTE

BizzyBum

I just beat it on normal.

It was okay. Good length. Graphics were pretty but GG always falls prey to bad gameplay decisions like infinite spawns during certain objectives or just a boatload of enemies in waves that make the game feel like I'm playing a horde mode. I feel like the times I died wasn't because it was hard, but more frustrating and cheap. The levels were varied enough and looked nice but suffered from poor AI but that's expected.

The big problem with KZ has always been that I'm not really invested in the storyline or any of the characters so I didn't really care what happened which lessens the enjoyment. It's definitely a solid launch title though and the game to show off your new PS4. Haven't played much of the MP but I've always enjoyed KZ's MP, but the no voice chat is pretty absurd, hopefully they fix that soon otherwise everyone will move onto other games.

Top Bottom