• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Dead

well not really...yet
This is going to sound awful but when I finish a match and I don't see a level bar getting filled I can't help but feel something is missing

Modern gaming has ruined me

Kolgar

If I enjoyed Killzone Mercenary, will I like this?
Don't have much experience with Killzone 2 or 3.

Not sure you ever received an answer, buddy, so I'll try.

The answer is uncertain. I'm a good way through Mercenary and I like it. It's a very impressive game, especially on a handheld. I even stuck around for some multiplayer, which I hadn't done with the series since Killzone 2.

I did not enjoy Shadow Fall. I won't rehash the reasons; I've written several posts in this thread. But I did push through to the end last night and traded the game back to Amazon today.

I rarely trade in my games.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
This is going to sound awful but when I finish a match and I don't see a level bar getting filled I can't help but feel something is missing

Modern gaming has ruined me

Not awful at all!

They should add this - it's so hard to track progress on your challenges...

Scrabble

I feel like I'm one of the few that really liked this campaign. It does stumble a few times, with one or two dreadful parts from a design standpoint. But overall the guns feel powerful, audio work is golden, and the game itself offers some nice variety, both in scenarios and environments. Levels are more open and multi-layered than other shooter series out there, and the drone powers are actually very useful and far more than a gimmick.

I see the mild platforming bits as palette cleansers where Guerrilla gets to show off their tech and their world and establish some mood between the loud combat encounters.

Stealth isn't half-baked and relegated to a single level like KZ3, but is now an *option* you can utilize most of the time if you want, with the nice addition of comm towers you can hack to avoid reinforcements.

Nor is this game filled with on-rails shooting segments like KZ3, or the QTEs that plague other games.

I dunno. I see a lot to like here, and a lot of ambition on the part of GG, not only in terms of presentation, but in trying to build out more of their world, establish some sympathetic characters and situations, but also in providing non-linearity, choice and variety to the moment to moment gameplay, most of which pays off. If you want to talk shooter cliches like so many of the reviews have brought up, go and play some COD and BF campaigns and get back to me. Hell, play the Halo 4 campaign too while you're at it. I'd rather fight the Helghast than the Prometheans any day.

yep, and while I'm not too far in. I find the story to be pretty good actually, it's just some of the dialogue that fumbles a bit. Also it's so refreshing to play a game that isn't afraid to pace its self and allow time to build. So many shooters just have set pieces and explosions right off the bat, but here it feels much more methodical. I'm getting kind of tired of games being labeled "slow" and "boring" just because they don't have explosions and a 100+ killcount within the first 20 minutes. Someone actually criticized the game because there were sometimes a "couple of minutes between gunfights." Do 90% of people who play games just have ADD or something?

I finished the game last night.

Things got better after that frustrating start of chapter 8 and I actually really enjoyed chapter 10.

I died a lot on chapter 10, but I was trying to do 100% stealth aside from the final objective. Felt very good when I succeeded. I found alternate ways to get to my objectives without having to sneak directly by cameras.

character spoiler -

I'd love to play more levels as Echo with her cloaking ability.

I feel like I'm one of the few that really liked this campaign. It does stumble a few times, with one or two dreadful parts from a design standpoint. But overall the guns feel powerful, audio work is golden, and the game itself offers some nice variety, both in scenarios and environments. Levels are more open and multi-layered than other shooter series out there, and the drone powers are actually very useful and far more than a gimmick.

I see the mild platforming bits as palette cleansers where Guerrilla gets to show off their tech and their world and establish some mood between the loud combat encounters.

Stealth isn't half-baked and relegated to a single level like KZ3, but is now an *option* you can utilize most of the time if you want, with the nice addition of comm towers you can hack to avoid reinforcements.

Nor is this game filled with on-rails shooting segments like KZ3, or the QTEs that plague other games.

I dunno. I see a lot to like here, and a lot of ambition on the part of GG, not only in terms of presentation, but in trying to build out more of their world, establish some sympathetic characters and situations, but also in providing non-linearity, choice and variety to the moment to moment gameplay, most of which pays off. If you want to talk shooter cliches like so many of the reviews have brought up, go and play some COD and BF campaigns and get back to me. Hell, play the Halo 4 campaign too while you're at it. I'd rather fight the Helghast than the Prometheans any day.

I still haven't finished the game, but I feel like people are being incredibly hard on chapters 2 through 6 when they say the whole campaign was junk. I honestly believe parts of that stretch are the first time Guerrilla has come close to making a campaign that's more than just great looking/sounding war scenes. Seeing like 50% of the people who've played the game call those sections confusing or boring makes me weep for the future of linear FPS campaigns. The writing isn't anything special, but that mix of short, punchy encounters + stealth + a variety of traversal + dips into light environmental puzzles + mostly low key pacing is exactly where I want to see more shooters going. I don't get it, bruh.

RobbieNick

Is there a way to properly save your game in campaign mode? Because while there are a lot of checkpoints, every time I leave the game, when I come back i'm at the beginning of that section. It's getting really annoying.

Is there a way to properly save your game in campaign mode? Because while there are a lot of checkpoints, every time I leave the game, when I come back i'm at the beginning of that section. It's getting really annoying.

Pretty sure it's only chapters that save if you exit the game. That's been my experience.

Dereck

Stay cloaked, it's infinite until you shoot or shut it off manually. Use spider mines to destroy cameras stealthily since they cans ee through the cloak.
What is up with people knowing that I'm close to them, and yelling out loud, how do I prevent that? Stay away from people when cloaked?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I agree. There are rough spots but the good outweighed the bad for me. It hit a lot of things I've wanted the genre to do and I think they're a good fit for Killzone. GG should take their time with the next one and use Chapters 2, 4-6, and 10 as a base for how the game should be. Don't rush it, make sure it's polished. KZ3 and Shadow Fall both suffered from obvious deadlines whereas they took all the time they needed for KZ2.

What is up with people knowing that I'm close to them, and yelling out loud, how do I prevent that? Stay away from people when cloaked?
Walked while crouched and avoid water. It's sometimes easy to bump into people so keep your distance.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Finally jumped into the MP for the first time last night...it was great.

I've never been big into KZ. KZ3 was my first experience with the franchise (I've heard many people say they enjoyed 2 more, but I never got a chance to play it). I thought the MP in 3 was okay, but it didn't really pull me in.

However, I had a blast for the limited time I played last night. I loved playing support and switching between the spawn beacon ability and the turret depending on the situation. I feel like there is a nice balance between health and weapon power. You don't get dropped instantly like CoD, but the players feel less like bullet sponges than they did in KZ3.

I do hope they add more guns in the future. I don't feel like there is a big difference within the same categories (especially for the LMGs and assault rifles).

Having all the guns unlocked from the get go is nice. I like being able to try everything from the start, finding what I like, and then unlocking attachments for it. I got to choose how I wanted to eliminate the enemy at the end of the match. I thought that interactive spotlight (for lack of better words) was a cool touch.

I'm glad the new maps will be free. I plan to continue to play this game for quite a while.

I really liked it, of course they bungled parts of it. There is alot of awkward encounter design in the game.

I like what they attempted here, and would like to see them try to continue in this style, they just need to put a bit more work into aspects of the game and polish it up. Much better than the wannabe COD that they did with KZ2 and KZ3

I'm on the 3rd
Mission(no gravity space station)
and I think the game looks gorgeous with the IQ being exceptional but it also feels sterile. The presentation and overall character acting seems low even for a KZ title and the gunplay so far is boring and feels nothing like KZ. So outside of the visuals so far not impressed.

R3TRODYCE

Just beat the single player and ehh it had a few high moments but a lot lows. I hate when games just throw a shit load of enemies instead of designing open ended thought out missions.

NeoUltima

Having finished the campaign I gotta say it was not very good at all. Too much boring downtime. And when there was combat, the level design just got in the way half the time. I respect their attempt at trying something different, but it falls flat. I would have been more than happy with a 'simple' campaign on par with KZ2 or KZ3.

Multiplayer is excellent as expected though. Good maps, good feel.

I'm on Chapter 4 right now and having been a real long time Killzone fan, this new world loses what made all the previous Kilzone's so great with that gritty/war torn world. So far, it amazes me that they left things with a cliffhanger in KZ3 unanswered here in SF. Now granted this takes place 30 years later, it still would of been cool to tie up those loose ends.

Another issue that I have with this game is that the open world structure just doesn't work. I wish they would of kept with the linear world that they had from the previous games. There are 6 more chapters to go and we will see how I feel by the end.

Quick question..does this game not save during checkpoints? I came back to play and realized i had to do a whole chunk all over again. Is this design or what?

mauaus

just got this digital and theres 2 downloads one for 80mb and one for 7,702mb... that cant be the full game right? Can i at least start playing once they are done?

Help!

I'm on what I believe is the final mission.

How do I get to this overlook where I'm supposed to snipe from? I've just deactivated the cameras and picked up the rifle.

Edit: ah I figured it out

What the Hell is up with the last chapter? I get to my last position and nothing happens .
Are you talking about the mission after the credits, if so read ahead.

The sniping position is not on that circular balcony, it's beneath it. Access it through the tunnels.

graywolf323

Quick question..does this game not save during checkpoints? I came back to play and realized i had to do a whole chunk all over again. Is this design or what?

it does save during checkpoints

edit: hmm though just loaded up my save to respond to SomewhatGroovy and I'm at a much earlier checkpoint than where I actually quit out from so maybe not at all checkpoints?

that's kinda sucky

What is the deal with the audio in this game. I get no surround sound during cutscenes but then sound checks in just fine once I regain control.
I ran into some sound issues too, but only while the game was installing. Once I gave it more time to load and retried the same chapter everything played and synced up fine.

graywolf323

Tell me where you are at. Thought it was s breeze compared to 7 end battle.

the 7 end battle was pretty bad too

I'm at checkpoint We've Got Company where's there is a corridor of sorts with a spider mine pod along with a walking attack drone and just past it another one of those mobile scan units

edit: oooh I did just find a missile launcher though, that should help

edit 2: or maybe not, holy crap that thing just won't die

edit 3: sheesh it took all 9 shots to take it out

Baliis

the 7 end battle was pretty bad too

I'm at checkpoint We've Got Company where's there is a corridor of sorts with a spider mine pod along with a walking attack drone and just past it another one of those mobile scan units

edit: oooh I did just find a missile launcher though, that should help

I did the exact same thing, except I had already used all of my ammo by the time I found it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm on the 3rd
Mission(no gravity space station)
and I think the game looks gorgeous with the IQ being exceptional but it also feels sterile. The presentation and overall character acting seems low even for a KZ title and the gunplay so far is boring and feels nothing like KZ. So outside of the visuals so far not impressed.

Finish that chapter. Game picks up right after that.

Mononoke

Banned

Yep, this happens to me as well. I clearly see a "checkpoint reached" on my screen, and then if I quit, it sends me back to another checkpoint before. It's strange.

Yep, this happens to me as well. I clearly see a "checkpoint reached" on my screen, and then if I quit, it sends me back to another checkpoint before. It's strange.
Do you have stock HDD? the same thing was happened to me with knack. I hope its not a HDD issue.

Elginer

add me to this list. Does this game just have the worst checkpoint system or am I doing something wrong?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It only saves progress at section breaks which aren't clearly marked in game. They're usually after major plot events or location changes.

george_us

WTF? That's what all the fuss was about with the last free fall sequence? All you literally have to do is follow the blue glowing pockets and you're good to go. I thought it was kind of fun actually.

graywolf323

ugh now I'm at
where we just saw Tyran is alive and he was flown out and there are what appears to be two mobile scan units

I really want chapter 8 to be over with already

edit: this minigun is helping ease the pain :p

graywolf323

finally finished Chapter 8

have to say Echo is already one of my favorite characters of the PS4 era (admittedly I've only played Contrast, Killzone and Knack so far)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Played up to what I think is chapter 7.
I'm at the mission where you have to infiltrate the mining thing over Helghan.
I don't know what some of these reviewers were smoking, but this title is no where near being a 5/10 game. That's a score you reserve for a broken game. A title that suffers from serious compromises to both technical as well as game play mechanics. This game looks beautiful, runs at a smooth framerate, the gun play is solid, and the story isn't at all as shitty as they make it sound like. Are there issues in the SP? Yes there are. For example, I don't like the way NPC's mouths sometimes move before they utter a word, making for an awkward lip syncing. Or how some of the missions are structured. But they don't ruin the game.

I keep asking myself as I play the game, what on Earth did these reviews hate so much in this game to low ball the scores like that? The only answer I come up with is the fact that the game is called Killzone, and not something else. This is going to become the first Killzone game I actually end up finishing, and I'm really satisfied with it. Score 8.5/10

Scrabble

Played up to what I think is chapter 7.
I'm at the mission where you have to infiltrate the mining thing over Helghan.
I don't know what some of these reviewers were smoking, but this title is no where near being a 5/10 game. That's a score you reserve for a broken game. A title that suffers from serious compromises to both technical as well as game play mechanics. This game looks beautiful, runs at a smooth framerate, the gun play is solid, and the story isn't at all as shitty as they make it sound like. Are there issues in the SP? Yes there are. For example, I don't like the way NPC's mouths sometimes move before they utter a word, making for an awkward lip syncing. Or how some of the missions are structured. But they don't ruin the game.

I keep asking myself as I play the game, what on Earth did these reviews hate so much in this game to low ball the scores like that? The only answer I come up with is the fact that the game is called Killzone, and not something else. This is going to become the first Killzone game I actually end up finishing, and I'm really satisfied with it. Score 8.5/10

It's cool and hip to hate on AAA shooters these days, and yea it's killzone. Which for whatever reason has its own burden to carry. Meanwhile no body gives a fuck about the 10+ lego game or the yearly need for speed titles that are little more than updates on what came before, but a shooter has to "be something more" and "advance the genre" for it to not be trash to people.

Also this is a horrible game to play if you're rushing through it. Given the fact reviewers had like a day or two to play it, it's not surprising many were frustrated.

Yeah, so I'm on Chapter 9 and this is easily my favorite Killzone single player title, and the best FPS campaign I've played in years.

I understand the game suffers from story pacing, and some polish issues when it comes to gameplay transitions...perhaps some poorly thought out sections that aren't quite fun, but overall there are plenty of areas that are just a blast to play with everything at your disposal.

And when the game teams you with Echo, I found that the story was actually very good, and much better than the companions/story of the previous games. It's a shame the writing is a bit poor, and Sinclair just seems so cliche and forced, but Echo makes up for it.

I think with a few more months of polish, this game could have knocked it out of the park, single player wise. For a launch title, it's amazing we have something like this.

Hopefully Guerrilla Games releases their next game when it's ready, and not to meet some arbitrary deadline. KZ:SF was an important launch title, but it's out now. Time to give Guerrilla the time they need to truly step their game up to the next level. They're too talented of a studio and deserve to be up there with Naughty Dog and crew.

They still have a huge amount of improvement to do when it comes to storyline presentation, so I hope they take are able to get similar talent to what exists at Naughty Dog. I'm starting to wonder if there's something lost in the translation since they're a Dutch studio...need some native English people directing the story side of things.

Top Bottom