• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

viveks86

Got my console last night and spent a couple of hours playing killzone campaign on hard. The story seems to be scatterbrained filler so far with some cringeworthy dialog at the beginning, but the graphics and gameplay are rock solid. Just finished the forest level on hard and it was AMAZING! Loving it!

You really need to take your time to enjoy this game. Explore, experiment and die a lot! The AI seems a little blind and don't get alerted sometimes, but they are so much fun in combat! The melee animations are sublime! I can't get over how fluid it is to drop on someone!

Moments that I really enjoyed:

Sneaking around snipers and sniping them
The owl distracting the last enemy in the area while I was down, so that I could revive myself, walk behind him casually and stab him in the neck!
Sending the owl to the left while I took out those on the right
The exploding bridge!!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hope one of these updates will fix the checkpoint system, because it's pretty bad right now. It's fine if you die in the game, it always brings you somewhere close, but when you turn the game off and continue the next day, it always brings you to the beginning of the whole section.

WTF? That's what all the fuss was about with the last free fall sequence? All you literally have to do is follow the blue glowing pockets and you're good to go. I thought it was kind of fun actually.
Can you tell me if those sequences are like that flying up sequence in GoW3 that everyone and their mother complained how hard they were, when they were in fact stupidly easy if you could even remotely pay attention to where the holes are that you were supposed to fly through?

flaminfire

Neo Member
Kinda sad about Lucas having to get killed, but Echo was a really like-able character for some reason. Glad she had her day

OmegaZero

Not sure you ever received an answer, buddy, so I'll try.

The answer is uncertain. I'm a good way through Mercenary and I like it. It's a very impressive game, especially on a handheld. I even stuck around for some multiplayer, which I hadn't done with the series since Killzone 2.

I did not enjoy Shadow Fall. I won't rehash the reasons; I've written several posts in this thread. But I did push through to the end last night and traded the game back to Amazon today.

I rarely trade in my games.

Thanks for the impressions.
One of my friends owns it, so I guess I'll pay him a visit sometime this weekend and try it out. From what I can gather based on your and various other impressions in this thread, I probably won't enjoy the campaign despite the more open level design.

Is stealth similar to Mercenary? Can you loose your enemies and have them hunt for you?

I wish the story had not jumped all over the place, but I enjoyed it nonetheless... damn @ that ending... The variation in the environments was quite impressive. A number of the settings were jaw dropping. I particularly liked the ending and how the level could be tackled as pure stealth or pure assault.

9.5 out of 10 on the graphics. Only Crysis 3 looks technically better, but the art direction in KZ:SF trumps C3 in my opinion.

Overall I'd give the game an 8.5 our of 10. Shadow Fall is at its best when you are engaged in combat, though I quite enjoyed the variation in gameplay... and the soundtrack.. the soundtrack is excellent. Unfortunately the game gets dragged down slightly by the piece meal story.

I cannot believe this game got a 5 out of 10... what a farce.

I finished Shadowfall tonight. So besides some rough patches, particularly in chapter 2 and in portions of chapter 8 and 9, I really enjoyed the game.

I would probably give it an 8. I had fun and the game was just beautiful. It's perfect as a showcase for next-gen. Shadowfall really got me excited for the future of gaming. The excellent environments and character models gave me glimpses into what Mass Effect and Uncharted will have in store for us. Frankly, I can't wait!

after the frustrating piece of shit that is chapter 2, chapter 3 is fantastic... and reminds me that next gen dead space will be glorious, assuming EA doesnt fuck it up

who am i kidding, it will be mobile only and free to play, pay for each shot you take

george_us

Can you tell me if those sequences are like that flying up sequence in GoW3 that everyone and their mother complained how hard they were, when they were in fact stupidly easy if you could even remotely pay attention to where the holes are that you were supposed to fly through?
Yeah that's a good comparison although Kratos was a little more agile. I died a couple of times at first but once I figured out the trick, it was super easy.

Dysun

Finished the campaign

Would love the next Killzone to star Echo, she was the highlight of the campaign. Aside from the semi-frustrating gliding, I really enjoyed this game. Looking forward to whatever GG does next
It was a nice call back to see Stahl still around on old Helghan, although Tyran didn't really go anywhere. Visari's Darth Malgus look alike never appeared again either after the torture scene. I could see the complaints for the narrative since it was hastily jumping from plot point to set piece and back, never telling a coherent story. It's a big jump up in quality from Sev and Rico though, at least his one didn't have me yearning for my character to die--although you know

Robot Pants

I'm really enjoying this game a lot. I just finished chapter 3 today and my jar dropped when I saw the intro to chapter 4.
My new tv comes tomorrow so I'm gonna save chapter 4 for that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope one of these updates will fix the checkpoint system, because it's pretty bad right now. It's fine if you die in the game, it always brings you somewhere close, but when you turn the game off and continue the next day, it always brings you to the beginning of the whole section.

This is way harder than GoW3's. It honestly wouldn't have been so bad if there were other sections like it in the game but it just throws you into falling at terminal velocity and doesn't explain the controls until it's too late.

Yeah, so I'm on Chapter 9 and this is easily my favorite Killzone single player title, and the best FPS campaign I've played in years.

I understand the game suffers from story pacing, and some polish issues when it comes to gameplay transitions...perhaps some poorly thought out sections that aren't quite fun, but overall there are plenty of areas that are just a blast to play with everything at your disposal.

And when the game teams you with Echo, I found that the story was actually very good, and much better than the companions/story of the previous games. It's a shame the writing is a bit poor, and Sinclair just seems so cliche and forced, but Echo makes up for it.

I think with a few more months of polish, this game could have knocked it out of the park, single player wise. For a launch title, it's amazing we have something like this.

Hopefully Guerrilla Games releases their next game when it's ready, and not to meet some arbitrary deadline. KZ:SF was an important launch title, but it's out now. Time to give Guerrilla the time they need to truly step their game up to the next level. They're too talented of a studio and deserve to be up there with Naughty Dog and crew.

They still have a huge amount of improvement to do when it comes to storyline presentation, so I hope they take are able to get similar talent to what exists at Naughty Dog. I'm starting to wonder if there's something lost in the translation since they're a Dutch studio...need some native English people directing the story side of things.

Nailed it, especially in regards to the writing/voice acting and the game feeling rushed at times. There's an amazing game in here and hopefully GG doesn't let the reviews get to them and focuses on what works here and takes the time to build the next entry accordingly.

The Goat

Game has grown on me, as I've played on. It's definitely not great, but just good enough to keep me going.

Currently toward the end of chapter 7. Some really horrible design choices in here.

The part where you
guide Massar over the cable line. Ugh. Tedious and boring as hell. First time I started it, I didn't realize she was below me. I just fought my way over, only to fail because she got stuck. Then to make shit worse, they throw a million Higs at you, in what seems like an endless wave. After dying a few times, I decided to hang it up for the night.
. Hopefully my checkpoint saved ok. If I have to replay that entire section over, I'll never finish the game. It's not worth the tedium.

Wickwire

I beat it last night. I was happy with the game. I wish there was a bit more fights that felt "epic." Killzone 2 nailed these types of battles for me. It was kind of easy, even on hard, though. I was hoping an elite difficulty would have unlocked. It is hands down the best looking console game I have ever seen. I had to stop and just admire it multiple times. I guess Ill need real people to be my elite difficulty when I head into multiplayer

Also, the soundtrack was fantastic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just wanted to put my thoughts about things that could/should be patched in the future down here. I'm going to try to send it to some of the GG guys on Twitter but I'm posting here since it's way too long to tweet (I sent it to a bunch of them. Hope they don't think I'm spamming :lol). Some of the stuff is major, others nitpicky but stood out. I hope I don't sound like I'm being to hard on the game, I really liked it but I think a few changes could go a long way. I also know some of the technical stuff may be very difficult to implement but I wanted to mention it just in case it's feasible.

Campaign:
-Save and continue from every checkpoint
-Revert to a previous checkpoint if you die within a few seconds of reloading several times in a row. I got stuck in an infinite death loop in chapter 8 because it checkpointed as I fell off a cliff. Had to restart the mission.
-Improve control responsiveness for the freefall at the beginning of chapter 8.

Multiplayer:
-Voice Chat
-Clan Support
-More straightforward UI. Just tell me what has been changed for a specific Warzone instead of every detail.

Many of the following have to do with the fact that the multiplayer in this game is the only FPS to ever give me brutal headaches. Single player didn't bother me at all, played for hours at a time, but there are some things that seriously need to be addressed with the way MP looks and performs. I play a ton of FPS, have for years, and have never encountered anything like this before. Fixing one or two of these issues could clear it up. I think it's the combination of all of them that's having a multiplicative effect. I know not all of them can be addressed but fixing some could help a lot.

-Implement a framerate cap for 30fps or steady it in multiplayer. The campaign framerate was nice but the constant, dramatic fluctation in MP is jarring.
-Disable the fake motion blur edge filter when sprinting.
-Wider Field of View. It seems smaller than the campaign's (I could be wrong on this)
-Apply the campaign AA to MP to improve image quality

General:
-Have the sights when aiming down move with the gun to improve ability to judge and manage recoil
-Some of the laser dot sights in the campaign randomly disable
-Some of the VSA laser dot sights are white instead of blue. This could be intentional or a glitch, I wasn't sure so I mentioned it. I think the blue is more useful than the white because it's much more visible. The white gets lost on some maps and the blue just plain looks cooler.
-Add a sound setting for Stereo Headphones. Neither Normal or Small Speaker are ideal for headphones
-Some of Sinclair and Echo's dialogue is not synced to their facial animation.

Hey RoboPlato:

9PJcIiV.png

LOL

-Revert to a previous checkpoint if you die within a few seconds of reloading several times in a row.
Multiplayer:
-Voice Chat
-Clan Support
-More straightforward UI. Just tell me what has been changed for a specific Warzone instead of every detail.

This! The single player is quite unpolished and you can get stuck and have to start over alot. MP is good but needs the features mentioned above.

EagleEyes

I have to say that it indeed does seem to fall apart more after chapter 6. The graphics are amazing and I wanted to like it more than the other Killzones but to me its still that 7 out of 10 game that that Killzone 2 and 3 were. I think GG are an amazing tech studio but having just come off a second playthrough of TLoU this game seems a little amateurish when it comes to presentation, characters, voice acting and just overall cohesiveness. Not to be too harsh though, its still a solid shooter with plenty of things to like especially the graphics and the weapons in general.

Apoc87

Banned
Chapter 8 absolutely sucked. Such boring, much getting lost. wow.

Also, does anyone have patch notes for the patch yesterday?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have to say that it indeed does seem to fall apart more after chapter 6. The graphics are amazing and I wanted to like it more than the other Killzones but to me its still that 7 out of 10 game that that Killzone 2 and 3 were. I think GG are an amazing tech studio but having just come off a second playthrough of TLoU this game seems a little amateurish when it comes to presentation, characters, voice acting and just overall cohesiveness. Not to be too harsh though, its still a solid shooter with plenty of things to like especially the graphics and the weapons in general.

Chapters 2-6 and 10 are my favorite FPS in years. 1 is barely worth mentioning since it's a walking and looking around tutorial, 7 and 9 just kind of drag on and have too many enemies, and 8 sucks. Overall how much I loved the good parts completely outweighs the parts I didn't like and I will be replaying those missions for years to come, just like I did with the best parts of KZ2.

Additional crash fixes. You can get patch notes by highlighting a game in your collection, pressing options, and going to update history.

coldfoot

Banned
If you read one of the newspapers, it says Sev and Rico are still at large...so there is still hope that we will get to see the fucker die at some point.

Chapter 3 I think it is. That was one of the best levels I've played in a long time. It started out slow but there was a realistic amount of enemies for once and the mechanics really blew me away. Plus, it even had a slight horror feel to it in the beginning. I felt like I was playing a stand alone game for a minute.

graywolf323

Game has grown on me, as I've played on. It's definitely not great, but just good enough to keep me going.

Currently toward the end of chapter 7. Some really horrible design choices in here.

The part where you
guide Massar over the cable line. Ugh. Tedious and boring as hell. First time I started it, I didn't realize she was below me. I just fought my way over, only to fail because she got stuck. Then to make shit worse, they throw a million Higs at you, in what seems like an endless wave. After dying a few times, I decided to hang it up for the night.
. Hopefully my checkpoint saved ok. If I have to replay that entire section over, I'll never finish the game. It's not worth the tedium.

I called it a night during one of my attempts at the
fight off the waves of Helghast
and when I loaded it back up it was from
right when you walk into the room so you won't have to guide her over the cable line again

Chapter 8 was definitely the low point of the game for me but I'm still really enjoying it overall and should beat it by the end of the week

just checked the update history and all it says for update 1.04 is "fixes for a few more crashes"

also looked at the forums but I don't see any patch notes there

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Shadow-Fall-PS4/bd-p/bEN_KZShadowFall

WTF? That's what all the fuss was about with the last free fall sequence? All you literally have to do is follow the blue glowing pockets and you're good to go. I thought it was kind of fun actually.

heh, i can't wait to play that part myself. i'm guessing it will be like that turret section in Dead Space that everyone and their uncle whined about.. not difficult at all if you have eyes.

i hope i don't have to take that back lol. we'll see.

graywolf323

I really hope they address this in a patch but I hate how if I quit out of the game for the night or whatever when I come back and load up my save my secondary weapon always gets reset to the pistol

edit: I really love the few instances where you can really use a sniper rifle in this game

edit 2: also miniguns are freaking awesome

No Love

Banned
Guys, on Chapter 7 I'm stuck at the part where
you have to protect the doctor and stand off against the Helghast while waiting to steal a bomber. It's that crazy mission where tons of helghast attack you, + drones etc after doing the space walk and protecting the doctor's train.

Anyways, it just seems like such a pain in the ass. I use the big voltage gun to kill all the turrets/emplacements but I have to keep putting laser trip mines or people flank on the sides, and eventually all my allies/turrets die and then it's me vs 50 helghast. Anything I'm missing on beating that part? Or is it trial and error?

Thanks for any help. This part is annoying as fuck.

BadAss2961

Multiplayer is incredible at 60fps. Trading visuals for performance was the right idea. Sometimes it actually looks even better than parts of the SP because of it.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a graphical feature or if maybe something is wrong with my tv/ps4.

Anytime your in a building and have a light shaft, does anyone else have like white dots/particles floating around? They aren't static and do seem to be moving...i'm just trying to figure out if that's emulating dust or if it's artifacting or something.

Holy crap, this was driving me nuts last night...I though maybe my ps4 was having issues. Glad to hear it's just dust...I don't like it though as I find it distracting.

Also, Guerilla needs to fix the checkpoints...don't like coming back to the game the next day and having to replay large chunks of the game...it's killing the flow of the game for me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Does the game get better after the first chapter?

Game looks beautiful.

That said I hate the way the guns feel, hate the level layouts (never really clear where I'm heading even with the indicator) and the enemies seem less smart than KZ2/3.

My 3-4 matches of multiplayer were just about as negative if not worse.

Got this for a bit off in the target deal but am just about on the fence for selling it on amazon just to at least get a few dollars back for this thing.

What a shame I actually really liked the vita game.

PerZona

Just completed the SP and honestly speaking some chapters are simply just stupid. Especially the puzzle ones. Not needed at all. And the A.Is are kinda overpowered too.

The online multiplayer is really smooth though, enjoying it.

foxdvd

Guys, on Chapter 7 I'm stuck at the part where
you have to protect the doctor and stand off against the Helghast while waiting to steal a bomber. It's that crazy mission where tons of helghast attack you, + drones etc after doing the space walk and protecting the doctor's train.

Anyways, it just seems like such a pain in the ass. I use the big voltage gun to kill all the turrets/emplacements but I have to keep putting laser trip mines or people flank on the sides, and eventually all my allies/turrets die and then it's me vs 50 helghast. Anything I'm missing on beating that part? Or is it trial and error?

Thanks for any help. This part is annoying as fuck.

at one point you are told to turn around and get into the big gun ship...you might be missing this point...its directly behind you and up some stairs...you can push up on your direction bad to highlight it...

Looking forward to some Single Player DLC. I'd love to see a well crafted mini-campaign, perhaps similar to
the Cassandra mission, but with more enemies. I loved the System Shock 2 vibe w/ audio logs, etc. The lighting in that level was spectacular and creepy.

The Goat

I called it a night during one of my attempts at the
fight off the waves of Helghast
and when I loaded it back up it was from
right when you walk into the room so you won't have to guide her over the cable line again

Ok, good to hear! Thanks! Hope chapter 8 isn't as shit as I'm reading. The game really does mix in the bad with the good.

Why is the voice audio so quiet? That really bugged me during the majority of the campaign, and it needs to be fixed in a patch.

The post above regarding difficulty at the Chapter 7 wave attack was a problem I also had.. because I didn't HEAR that I was suppose to
get in the turret/gunship when the drop ships and drones arrived.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Chapter 8 question:
I just killed the 2nd or 3rd mobile scanner. There's a ledge I need to get up to, but the gravity field thing isn't blown up. Did I run into a bug? I watched a video and it just opens up for the guy when he takes down the scanner.

Edit: Yep, it bugged on me. Just got past it.

BizzyBum

The only campaign trophies I have left is Hard completion, no deaths, and 100% collectibles.

For the collectibles, can I play a part and get the one I missed, get to the next checkpoint, then quit out, or do I have to replay the whole level again?

The only campaign trophies I have left is Hard completion, no deaths, and 100% collectibles.

For the collectibles, can I play a part and get the one I missed, get to the next checkpoint, then quit out, or do I have to replay the whole level again?

You should be able do. Ive gotten serveral collectables, then died right away. When I got back to the spot, the collectable was gone, so it seems to be an instant flag that updates the game data info instead of game save info.

It worked the same way in kz2. You could find the collectable, quit and go to the next level.

Top Bottom