• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Jigolo

story was so bad. so so bad.

I've only played console killzone's minus 1 and this is how my list goes.

KZ2 > KZ3 > KZ:SF

Now it's time to see how the MP plays

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
I just wanted to put my thoughts about things that could/should be patched in the future down here. I'm going to try to send it to some of the GG guys on Twitter but I'm posting here since it's way too long to tweet (I sent it to a bunch of them. Hope they don't think I'm spamming :lol). Some of the stuff is major, others nitpicky but stood out. I hope I don't sound like I'm being to hard on the game, I really liked it but I think a few changes could go a long way. I also know some of the technical stuff may be very difficult to implement but I wanted to mention it just in case it's feasible.

Campaign:
-Save and continue from every checkpoint
-Revert to a previous checkpoint if you die within a few seconds of reloading several times in a row. I got stuck in an infinite death loop in chapter 8 because it checkpointed as I fell off a cliff. Had to restart the mission.
-Improve control responsiveness for the freefall at the beginning of chapter 8.

Multiplayer:
-Voice Chat
-Clan Support
-More straightforward UI. Just tell me what has been changed for a specific Warzone instead of every detail.

Many of the following have to do with the fact that the multiplayer in this game is the only FPS to ever give me brutal headaches. Single player didn't bother me at all, played for hours at a time, but there are some things that seriously need to be addressed with the way MP looks and performs. I play a ton of FPS, have for years, and have never encountered anything like this before. Fixing one or two of these issues could clear it up. I think it's the combination of all of them that's having a multiplicative effect. I know not all of them can be addressed but fixing some could help a lot.

-Implement a framerate cap for 30fps or steady it in multiplayer. The campaign framerate was nice but the constant, dramatic fluctation in MP is jarring.
-Disable the fake motion blur edge filter when sprinting.
-Wider Field of View. It seems smaller than the campaign's (I could be wrong on this)
-Apply the campaign AA to MP to improve image quality

General:
-Have the sights when aiming down move with the gun to improve ability to judge and manage recoil
-Some of the laser dot sights in the campaign randomly disable
-Some of the VSA laser dot sights are white instead of blue. This could be intentional or a glitch, I wasn't sure so I mentioned it
-Add a sound setting for Stereo Headphones. Neither Normal or Small Speaker are ideal for headphones

Great post - just retweeted you :) Agreed with pretty much everything you said - the motion blur edge filter during sprint really annoys me...!

Is there a delay in the killzone soundtrack we were promised for pre ordering?

I was just curious because i was able to download the skins fine but no e-mail from amazon concerning the soundtrack.

Also, is the spotlight move used on downed enemies or after the match is already over?
I was just wondering the same thing so I did a thread search. I entered my Amazon code this morning and it listed the OWL skins but said nothing about the soundtrack.

Anyone know what's up?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great post - just retweeted you :) Agreed with pretty much everything you said - the motion blur edge filter during sprint really annoys me...!
Thanks! The Killzone twitter and GG's technical director both thanked me for the feedback so I got through to them, which is nice to know.

Do the graphics seem to get worse as the game goes on? or am I just crazy?

The forest level looks amazing but once you get into all the space stations and stuff it all kinda looks a bit "meh" worthy and by the end I wasn't impressed at all.

although Helghan looked pretty good, nice textures but I wish there were more lighting effects

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Thanks! The Killzone twitter and GG's technical director both thanked me for the feedback so I got through to them, which is nice to know.

Let's hope they implement some of it. For me, what I would most like to see changed are the menu's/UI/challenge progression as well as that edge blur!

But who knows how long those will take to implement!

Why is the voice audio so quiet? That really bugged me during the majority of the campaign, and it needs to be fixed in a patch

I found that some of the audio in the game is subdued. I noticed yesterday that the title screen was devoid of any sound except for the very faint dings when navigating. I cranked up my sound and it turns out there is music in the main menu!. It seems like a bug because some other sounds are loud enough already like gun shots.

anyone else having these audio issues?

I just started this game last night, and I was blown away by how pretty/awesome everything is in the game. This is definitely the showcase for what the system can do. Oh god I'm getting the chills just thinking about what the next Naughty Dog and Santa Monica games gonna look like.

Deadstar

I recently played through the
space
mission and man was that awesome! The atmosphere was great. I loved when things started melting.

WoolyNinja

Agree with the 'chapter 8 is not very good' opinions. Its a chore getting through this chapter. The rest of the game has been great though.

Looking at impressions through this thread, it's a tough call. Here are some posts that mention Mercenary in comparison:

Y2Kev
Shalashaska161
Kolgar

In terms of features and scale, Shadow Fall has the edge (multiplayer-wise at the very least). Whether you'll enjoy the single player campaign will really depend on your personal preferences.

Thanks. I'm currently loving the shit out of Mercenary. I only play FPS's for the SP.

Muffdraul

WTF? That's what all the fuss was about with the last free fall sequence? All you literally have to do is follow the blue glowing pockets and you're good to go. I thought it was kind of fun actually.

I just watched a video, and I see what you mean about the blue glowing mist more or less coinciding with the path to take. I admit, in the all of the 40 times I died over and over on that part, I never noticed that. I must be one dense and unskilled motherfucker.

I saw some of the later levels and they looked kinda bland. I think the reviewers were right, since this the first non linear game by GG. They have much to learn.

I just watched a video, and I see what you mean about the blue glowing mist more or less coinciding with the path to take. I admit, in the all of the 40 times I died over and over on that part, I never noticed that. I must be one dense and unskilled motherfucker.
I only remember a lit path in the final leg of it, which I did use and was able to do that part without fail. Its the first 70% of it that has problems, with the first third being the worst.

Muffdraul

I only remember a lit path in the final leg of it, which I did use and was able to do that part without fail. Its the first 70% of it that has problems, with the first third being the worst.

I think you're referring to the HUD display that pops up towards the end and literally shows you the exact path to take to the landing point.

What he and I are referring to are the blue petracite fountains on the ground. I never paid the slightest bit of attention to them when I was playing that part, to me they were just random bits of scenery in the environment. But when I just watched a vid it definitely does look like the trick is to fly over them. The game does not communicate this in any way shape or form, I guess you just have to be a clever enough of a swot to figure it out.

fixuis

Just got my ps4 and this is the first game Im playing. Downloaded digitally and it's letting me play after just a few chapters had downloaded, if that's not awesome, then I've just had my first holy shit next gen moment, the gfx in this game are unbelievable!!!

kitzkozan

I finished Shadowfall tonight. So besides some rough patches, particularly in chapter 2 and in portions of chapter 8 and 9, I really enjoyed the game.

I would probably give it an 8. I had fun and the game was just beautiful. It's perfect as a showcase for next-gen. Shadowfall really got me excited for the future of gaming. The excellent environments and character models gave me glimpses into what Mass Effect and Uncharted will have in store for us. Frankly, I can't wait!

7.5 is what I will give this game and the single player campaign is better than I expected. I'm only up to chapter 4, but it's nowhere near as bad or dull as some are saying. Although it's not anywhere close to being a great SP campaign either, can't fault the effort (since it's trying new things and mixing up open world fps with z gravity sequences, brief platforming, etc). Guerilla still have much to learn about open world FPS and enemy AI, but they can't take all the blame for the missteps. They were rushed into having the game ready for launch, but I think they can equal the quality of Killzone 2 if given enough time (or perhaps a new franchise?). It's a showcase game offering a glimpse of what the PS4 can and will offer, but ultimately Shadow Fall will be remembered as a wasted opportunity imo.

The user reviews of Killzone Mercenary are surprisingly good (better than Shadow Fall right now), so I suspect that it's got a stronger single player campaign (the multiplayer is possibly much weaker since it's limited to 4 vs 4?). I'm gonna buy Mercenary after all, although I'm also replaying the first one right now (and I'm sure that the original is the weakest from what I played of the campaign :p ).

What he and I are referring to are the blue petracite fountains on the ground. I never paid the slightest bit of attention to them when I was playing that part, to me they were just random bits of scenery in the environment. But when I just watched a vid it definitely does look like the trick is to fly over them. The game does not communicate this in any way shape or form, I guess you just have to be a clever enough of a swot to figure it out.
Oh shit... Yeah, I get what you mean now. So those provide you some real lift? Makes sense.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this game stumbles on the initial playthrough but I think it will shine when replaying those missions. There's real room for experimentation and there's more to the game's systems than is apparent at first.

I know it's already been discussed, but it can't be said enough. The freefall section in
fallen city with the crumbling buildings
is easily one of the worst experiences I've had in a shooter. It comes right after a sequence that is pretty shitty already where I'm starving for normal controls again. THEN when I finally beat it, I couldn't take enough so I quit the game. Forgetting that it doesn't save at checkpoints I booted it up today and had to redo the entire sequence.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the most angry I've ever been at a game. Congrats Guerilla.

mother of god. just experienced this. the absolute WORST in a video game in a long time. had to stop playing, but I paused it for that very reason. gonna take a break before I try again.

majik13

add me to this list. Does this game just have the worst checkpoint system or am I doing something wrong?

same, got pretty far on mission 2, got to a new checkpoint. I then quite through the menu. Loaded it up the next day, and it started me at the beginning of the level. :/

Anyways Im only on mission 2-3 in both BF4 and KZ, and so far I am liking BF4 single player a lot more. But there is still a lot more game to experience.

KalBalboa

Banned
Does the game get better after the first chapter?

Game looks beautiful.

That said I hate the way the guns feel, hate the level layouts (never really clear where I'm heading even with the indicator) and the enemies seem less smart than KZ2/3.

My 3-4 matches of multiplayer were just about as negative if not worse.

Got this for a bit off in the target deal but am just about on the fence for selling it on amazon just to at least get a few dollars back for this thing.

What a shame I actually really liked the vita game.

The game absolutely improves. Chapter 3 is when it started dawning on me just what worked and didn't work about the game, and Chapter 4 and on hit a few home runs after a disappointing first hour or so.

Stick with it.

Scrabble

My only issue so far is that the gunplay lacks the punch of killzone 2, it just doesn't feel as visceral. It's still above average, but that was kind of disappointing. Having put more time in it, I'm truly lost at how some can find this game so confusing and difficult. If it were anymore streamlined it might as well be Call of Duty.

drproton

Has anyone gone back to get the 'Conscientious Killer' trophy?

Can I go back and play the missions with civilians piecemeal like 'Shadows Cannot Be Killed'?

Muffdraul

Can I go back and play the missions with civilians piecemeal like 'Shadows Cannot Be Killed'?

Apparently so, I got it in the middle of my second run through the campaign without knowing it even existed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I still don't know how I didn't get Conscientious Killer. Does not saving someone from the Helghast count? There was one person I didn't get to in time.

Doran902

god damn i hate the end of chapter 6, playing on hard and i just aint going to beat it, dead, dead dead dead dead dead

and it feels cheap because every enemy on the map is auto targetting me every time i leave cover

Muffdraul

I still don't know how I didn't get Conscientious Killer. Does not saving someone from the Helghast count? There was one person I didn't get to in time.

My first time through I accidentally killed a civie or two because I used the LSR44 to snipe a Hig that was detaining them or whatever and didn't yet realize it wasn't surgical and had an AOE. Second time through I was careful not to do that. The only people I remember saving were the hostages, but I was under the impression that you didn't really have a choice per se.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Finished the SP earlier. (End spoilers)
The ending felt empty. You just shoot Sinclair and that's that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Wtf is going on. I have passed through multiple checkpoints on the first level but every time I quit out where i have to reload, The game puts me close to the very beginning. What am I doing wrong.

graywolf323

I got it on my first try which surprised me because I thought my OWL might have accidentally killed some at some point

Top Bottom