• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

daoster

Yeah...I just got to the beginning of Chapter 8....don't care for the latter parts of Chapter 7 either, if I'm being honest.

jet1911

The way chapters save is really pissing me off. Last time I played I was a good 20 minutes after the (chapter 5 spoiler)
"train crash" where you have to melee a guard before you get your guns back
and now the game is starting at that exact spot. Bad Killzone, bad!

PLEASE HELP ME! How the fuck do I fire the PNv06? I'm at the god damned defend section and it will not fire the gun. It shoots randomly, sometimes not at all. Is there a glitch?

kurbaan

Banned
PLEASE HELP ME! How the fuck do I fire the PNv06? I'm at the god damned defend section and it will not fire the gun. It shoots randomly, sometimes not at all. Is there a glitch?

Keep tapping it and hold when it shoots let go and tap again. Its very slow and shoots in bursts. Its designed like that because its very strong

jet1911

1401616_1384973958414729_1588478761_o.jpg

I love these reflections on the walls. It looks great in motion.

Another one.

1402241_1384986315080160_847889185_o.jpg

How about GG patches this bullshit through the fallen city in Chapter 8. I can't believe what a cool concept yet so damn annoying due to the controls in this section.

EDIT: Finally did it. LOL!

The entire concept is dumb. How is he flying horizontally across the planet at this velocity? The scene is only there to be a technical showcase.

Darknight

I finally played this and wow really disappointing so far.

Intro is like really, really lame. I think GG didnt do that well of a job for what they were trying to do. I really dislike how you just appear in areas without a segment explaining how you got there too.

Only thing keeping me interested is that Echo chick. I hope you and her smash and bang at least once. Else the story is gonna be boring.

Looks great though. Playing on Hard as I knew this game was gonna be a cake walk with your robo friend. (so far it is)

ckohler

Just finished the game. Overall, I would say I very much enjoyed it. It's got obvious flaws but overall, there is more to like here than to not.

Pros:
  • Graphics - Holy cow! Next gen is here. This game melts eyes. Bravo, GG.
  • Music - Subdued but excellent. I want this soundtrack.
  • Echo - Awesome character, female or otherwise. More fleshed out than Kellen himself.
  • OWL - Fun as hell to use, easy to master, and has great AI. Other FPS should take notes.
  • Setting - The locations are better than the story. Made the Helgast more interesting.

Cons:
  • Free-fall Sections - Frustrating beyond belief. There is no way they was play-tested.
  • Ending - Wasn't satisfying. Just peters out with no payoff.
  • Waypoint Hud - Too difficult to see. Got lost several times.
  • Voice Volume - Way too low. Missed out on too much plot and instructions.

The game delivers more than enough to be recommended with the caveat that you warn the player about the really bad parts (free-fall, confusing story elements, kinda lame ending). I can't help but feel this game could have been a blockbuster had it had more time to cook. It's pretty clear to me that the ending was a bit rushed due to PS4's launch schedule.

Still, I enjoyed more of the game than I hated and there are several chapters I want to go back and replay because they were just awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
Hey, Guerrilla Games.

"The Last Stand"

You can go fuck yourselves now. That'll be all.

edit- Seriously what the fuck is up with this turret section? I have died 50+ times. I have no idea what it wants me to kill or what it wants me to do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished the game. Overall, I would say I very much enjoyed it. It's got obvious flaws but overall, there is more to like here than to not.

Pros:
  • Graphics - Holy cow! Next gen is here. This game melts eyes. Bravo, GG.
  • Music - Subdued but excellent. I want this soundtrack.
  • Echo - Awesome character, female or otherwise. More fleshed out than Kellen himself.
  • OWL - Fun as hell to use, easy to master, and has great AI. Other FPS should take notes.
  • Setting - The locations are better than the story. Made the Helgast more interesting.

Cons:
  • Free-fall Sections - Frustrating beyond belief. There is no way they was play-tested.
  • Ending - Wasn't satisfying. Just peters out with no payoff.
  • Waypoint Hud - Too difficult to see. Got lost several times.
  • Voice Volume - Way too low. Missed out on too much plot and instructions.

The game delivers more than enough to be recommended with the caveat that you warn the player about the really bad parts (free-fall, confusing story elements, kinda lame ending). I can't help but feel this game could have been a blockbuster had it had more time to cook. It's pretty clear to me that the ending was a bit rushed due to PS4's launch schedule.

Still, I enjoyed more of the game than I hated and there are several chapters I want to go back and replay because they were just awesome.
I mostly agree although I really liked the ending. Half of this game is the best FPS of the past few years, the other half has the usual launch game rush all over it.

jbartee

Hey, Guerrilla Games.

"The Last Stand"

You can go fuck yourselves now. That'll be all.

edit- Seriously what the fuck is up with this turret section? I have died 50+ times. I have no idea what it wants me to kill or what it wants me to do.

I just beat this myself. The number of enemies you have to kill in the turret section depends on how many you've left on the field. I had to restart the section and make sure I took out enough guys prior to mounting the turret. The battlefield should be mostly empty so you can focus on the drones and the drop ship. If you kill enough dudes first the turret section is actually pretty easy, but if you don't it's basically impossible. The game does a really poor job of communicating this imo.

Grinchy

Banned
I just beat this myself. The number of enemies you have to kill in the turret section depends on how many you've left on the field. I had to restart the section and make sure I took out enough guys prior to mounting the turret. The battlefield should be mostly empty so you can focus on the drones and the drop ship. If you kill enough dudes first the turret section is actually pretty easy, but if you don't it's basically impossible. The game does a really poor job of communicating this imo.

I see....yeah because I didn't know you were supposed to run to the turret in the first section. So, when I realized that I did, I ran to it right as soon as I could. The floor is completely littered with enemies, turrets, and dudes putting up new turrets at all times. It is literally impossible.

I guess I have to restart the section. I spent an hour+ trying it over and over again and now I want to take a shit on the disc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this. I've talked a lot of shit about it, but overall, I'm glad I played it. There were some really enjoyable parts, but the the whole experience definitely gets dragged down by the insanely frustrating stuff. Kind of boggles the mind how that stuff made it to release.

Even just removing all of the non-traditional control segments would have done a lot to making the campaign better.

Since BF4 multi is busted beyond belief right now I tried Killzone's multi for the first time. This is my first Killzone experience so I don't know if all of them are this good but wow. I really love it. War zone is a cool objective. The blurring bothered me at first then I got used to it. I wish I could articulate why I love it so much but I can only say that I played for hours and usually I have a hard time staying interested in multiplayer. Even when BF is working I'm a 1 game then quit kind of guy.

I'm really looking forward to them taking queues off of this game for their next FPS. They've got some really great parts of the game, that when given enough time to cook, could turn out to be a really nice SP experience (if I cant disregard their attempts at story)

Xater

So what are everyone's feelings about the MP? I wanted to get BF4 for the EU launch as my MP game, but that seems to be totally busted at this point.

kurbaan

Banned
I'm really looking forward to them taking queues off of this game for their next FPS. They've got some really great parts of the game, that when given enough time to cook, could turn out to be a really nice SP experience (if I cant disregard their attempts at story)

I think all the bad parts and lack of a proper story, cohesion and just random abrupt changes in scenes was all due to rushing this thing for launch.

Like you can kind of tell what they spent the most time on (Helgan side). As long as they fire and flog the guy who came up with the idea for the free fall section and some of the stupid frustrating shit at the end of the game. They should have something good from this base.

So I think I'm up to chapter 4 (the trains) and I must say.. other than some crazy difficulty spikes I'm really enjoying the game. And it IS beautiful!

kriskrosbbk

How is this game on Hard?
I play all SPs on hard but BF3 pissed me off really on that difficulty.One shot - dead .80m away .Come on.

Jigolo

Ending spoiler:

WARNING!

This is how I interpreted the ending: The protagonist was killed off, Echo got revenge. Thus no more Killzone games anymore, KZ:SF was the last one. Which means........we should be hearing about that new IP soon. Right, RIGHT?!?

Strider

I was going to play a chapter (8) then jump into some MP last night. Big mistake.

This chapter seriously gave me a headache. I finally made it past the beginning sequence after like 15 tries then just went to sleep instead of playing any MP matches.

At least it's over.

Haven't played too much but right away noticed that hip fire is almost completely useless :(

I'm guessing because of no aim assist but it needs a light buff imo.

KOHIPEET

Might be a litte bit OT but I have a question for those who played through the game.

In the beginning, we see hologramm in the room. It depicts some kind of monster. Do we meet any of those throughout the game?
(PS4 releases Dec 12 here and I got weak so I started to watch a playthrough, but I'm seriously considering not continuing to watch.)

Thanks for the answer.

I wonder if that monster is some kind of easter egg.

BizzyBum

Ending spoiler:

WARNING!

This is how I interpreted the ending: The protagonist was killed off, Echo got revenge. Thus no more Killzone games anymore, KZ:SF was the last one. Which means........we should be hearing about that new IP soon. Right, RIGHT?!?

I wouldn't mind another game with Echo as the protagonist, be it prequel or sequel. She's probably the most interesting character the KZ series has had.

4lejandro

Just started playing yesterday and got through chapter 3, the [minor spoiler]
audio logs playing on the ds4 was a pleasant surprise
and overall I'm liking the game but I liked KZ2 through Mercenary so I might be biased here.

The PS4 ROCKS, what a beautiful game!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ending spoiler:

WARNING!

GG has two teams and the new IP has been in development for a while. I think they'll continue Killzone with Echo as the main character but the new IP will be out long before the next Killzone.

ckohler

Edit: This post was my initial reaction to what the game ending of the game meant but upon further reflection I think I was wrong. So, nevermind what I said.

nataku

Where the hell do I go in chapter 9? I just
cleared the room that threw a ton of guys at you plus a couple turrets. I've got two landing decks on either side with airships and a dead end/drop off in the middle. Hitting up for my objectives gives me no indicator where to go, despite it having a letter and saying "Locate the weapon in Stahl's base". I can't go back to the room with the giant orange globe. I'm just stuck here.

I see no panels to interact with, nothing to hack. What am I missing?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just said screw it and watched a youtube walkthrough. Would be nice if they didn't give the elevator such a transparent texture to make it look like it's just a drop off. I wasn't about to take a leap of faith after having taken an hour and several deaths clearing the room before hand.

I'm kind of late here, but once i put my bonus code from the pre ordering the game, i got the OWL skins, but i can't seem to find the Original Score, anyone knows where to find it?

Jigolo

END SPOILERS - DON'T READ

I took it the opposite way. During the whole game, Echo is trying everything to prevent war and keep the peace. When she realizes that warmongers like Sinclair wanted it all along and went so far as to kill Kellen, she gives up and decides to take revenge. The final mission is called "The shadow falls" and it means that a new war is about to begin. That final shot of the bullet that kills Sinclair during that that public rally is what eventually leads to the Third Extra-solar War. The game cuts to black and we're shown explosions and bullet holes over the credits, suggesting what little peace was left is now lost and war now rages on Vecta.

I'm probably wrong but that's how I took it.

Touche.

That's another way to see it. I wouldn't mind another Killzone with Echo as the protagonist actually. She's one of my favorite characters in the whole series. I just hope *IF* there is a sequel to this, it's done right. Because KZ:SF was massively disappointing for me.

Ricky_R

I wonder why people had so much trouble or were so mad with the free fall segment. Yes, you need to time it a bit and most will probably need a few tries to do it, but why the outrage?

It was quite easy.

Baliis

Where the hell do I go in chapter 9? I just
cleared the room that threw a ton of guys at you plus a couple turrets. I've got two landing decks on either side with airships and a dead end/drop off in the middle. Hitting up for my objectives gives me no indicator where to go, despite it having a letter and saying "Locate the weapon in Stahl's base". I can't go back to the room with the giant orange globe. I'm just stuck here.

I see no panels to interact with, nothing to hack. What am I missing?

Go into the little platform in between the entrance to the two landing decks, it's an elevator.

ckohler

Touche.

That's another way to see it. I wouldn't mind another Killzone with Echo as the protagonist actually. She's one of my favorite characters in the whole series. I just hope *IF* there is a sequel to this, it's done right. Because KZ:SF was massively disappointing for me.

I edited my post to remove my original theory. I realized I got some details wrong, like the name of the final chapter. So, take what I said with a grain of salt.

jbartee

This game is a really mixed bag. The story has an interesting premise but doesn't do a whole lot with it. Mechanically there are parts of it that are basically FPS perfection, and then there are parts that just feel horribly designed and unconsidered. It also starts much stronger than it finishes, which is always a shame.

Normally I'd give something like this a low C, but because the art direction and graphics are just so amazingly stellar this is more like a B for me. At times I seriously felt like I was playing in Blade Runner's LA 2019, which I think is a pretty significant achievement; we finally have engines that can convincingly pull off that level of atmospheric depth, moving light, wetness, smoke, shadow. That alone was enough to carry me through the game and keep me excited even during the more frustrating sections.

Now I desperately want a Blade Runner game developed by Naughty Dog with engine assistance from GG. Come on Sony, make it happen.
this will never happen :(

interesting! Maybe Cambridge can take over the Killzone franchise.

Mercenaries was only good as a portable game with it's mini mission format. As a long console game campaign, it wouldn't fly.

This game is a really mixed bag. The story has an interesting premise but doesn't do a whole lot with it. Mechanically there are parts of it that are basically FPS perfection, and then there are parts that just feel horribly designed and unconsidered. It also starts much stronger than it finishes, which is always a shame.

Yea the game has some great concepts and ideas going but execution is hit and miss. Some parts are fantastic, some parts have you going "wtf were they thinking". Perhaps it's lack of polish due to making the game for launch, but it is frustrating because the game is great at times then hits you with some crap.

The MP is solid at least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
interesting! Maybe Cambridge can take over the Killzone franchise.
I haven't played Mercs yet but I think it would be interesting if Cambridge did the next campaign and the main studio did MP. From what I hear Cambridge did a great job of building on the base of the series and there is a very strong base in Shadow Fall to build on.

Top Bottom