• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

jbartee

Yea the game has some great concepts and ideas going but execution is hit and miss. Some parts are fantastic, some parts have you going "wtf were they thinking". Perhaps it's lack of polish due to making the game for launch, but it is frustrating because the game is great at times then hits you with some crap.

Pretty much this, I think. It's insanely ambitious for a launch title, and really feels like there wasn't enough time to play test and finesse it's various parts, especially the sections that diverge from the core shooting mechanics.

Loudninja

Guess the game is doing well.

Game launches, especially for a new system, are as exciting as they are nerve-wrecking. That said, we are completely blown away by the community’s response to Killzone Shadow Fall's North American launch. In our first weekend we’ve already seen an amazing amount of love and some great feedback for the game.
A huge percentage of North American PS4 owners have played Killzone Shadow Fall since launch, with new players coming in every day. The online community has created well over 3500 custom Warzones so far. You’ve also been very proactive in telling us what you like and don’t like. Please keep it up, because we can learn from your suggestions to make Killzone Shadow Fall even better - click the 'Feedback' button on the new Killzone Shadow Fall website to share your opinion.

One thing we’ve already learned is that you guys love to broadcast our game from the TwitchTV PS4 app. Shadow Fall continues to be one of if not the most streamed games using the PS4 app. At the same time, tens of thousands of PSN members have used the spectate functionality on their PlayStation 4 to watch a Killzone Shadow Fall stream.

The response from our North American players has been phenomenal so far, and we're very grateful for that. For those of you in Europe, stay tuned for next week's launch alongside the PS4! We hope that you’ll enjoy Killzone Shadow Fall and bear with us while we continue to improve and expand the experience. We are working on our first updates as we speak, so please keep an eye on Killzone.com and continue to put forward your suggestions. A big Thank You from all of us at Guerrilla!
http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/b...l-has-launched-european-release-imminent.html

BZYHYXIIYAAOW9-.jpg:orig

thanks much good sir

That's great to hear, I'd definitely like to see more of this, in a state in which they have all the time they need to perfect it. Right now Shadow Fall is a good game that's almost amazing.

They need to take a cue from Naughty Dog and up their narrative game though. They have what could be a cool universe, but is hampered by hammy storytelling.

Muffdraul

I was going to play a chapter (8) then jump into some MP last night. Big mistake.

This chapter seriously gave me a headache. I finally made it past the beginning sequence after like 15 tries then just went to sleep instead of playing any MP matches.

At least it's over.

Only 15 tries? Damn dude. Like a boss.

Seriously, I had exactly 40 fucking deaths on that segment.

coldfoot

Banned
Ending spoiler:

WARNING!

This is how I interpreted the ending: The protagonist was killed off, Echo got revenge. Thus no more Killzone games anymore, KZ:SF was the last one. Which means........we should be hearing about that new IP soon. Right, RIGHT?!?

You've got that right, but there could be more games.
I'd buy a game where you get to kill Rico as Echo in a second. Still have not forgiven the fucker.

Yeah the beginning of chapter 8 is simply not worth it, the campaign wasn't that great to push on through, will catch the rest on youtube.

So I just finished it, starts off cool gameplay wise, chapter six takes a pretty big downturn by removing any player choice and forcing to do the exact actions the game tells you to, and never really picks up from there. Well, some of chapter 9 was alright, but it isn't much solace after trudging through chapter 8.

And that ending...
Talk about drumming up a conflict that has no effect on the state of the world besides some deaths of characters you don't care about. I mean, they've never established that the world wasn't on the brink of war, so when you spend the game on the brink of war trying to prevent it, and the game ends with the two sides on the brink of war, but slightly closer...big whoop.

Grinchy

Banned
Has anyone gone back to get the 'Conscientious Killer' trophy?

Can I go back and play the missions with civilians piecemeal like 'Shadows Cannot Be Killed'?

lol I was purposely helping the civilians at first, not knowing there was even a trophy for it. But then I saved the one from killing himself, let the couple rejoice for a moment, then killed his wife in front of him.

Muffdraul

lol I was purposely helping the civilians at first, not knowing there was even a trophy for it. But then I saved the one from killing himself, let the couple rejoice for a moment, then killed his wife in front of him.

Capping every NPC in that level is disturbingly satisfying. ALL FUCKING HIGGS MUST DIE.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think enough people are talking about how well this game controls. Everything is fluid with a sense of weight, aiming is spot on, and the added climb/ziplines abilities are excellent.

Juraash

The more time I spend with this game, the more I like it.

It's probably one of my favorite launch titles since Mario World for the SNES. This game looks gorgeous, has great controls and I found the story to be pretty good. I think it's easily the best story if the franchise and I would love a game starring Echo (break from tradition and do 3rd person stealth maybe).

I died a couple of times on that free fall part but I inverted the y axis so it controlled like a plane would and my brain just sorted it all out. I can honestly say there wasn't one segment of that game I did not enjoy.

fixuis

The game is absolutely mind blowing. The gfx are insane, the action meaty and do t even get me started on the mp. It feels like kz2 which is great.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
I can't find any streams of MP on twitch for this. Is mp dead or are people just not streaming it?

I'll be streaming some in an hour or so, .com/soupstorm. I can't promise good gameplay or commentary, but I can promise decent-ish picture quality and liberal application of shotguns.

You also have to search for the all-caps KILLZONE. That's the channel the PS4 feeds to by default - you know, the less-popular one that doesn't even appear in Twitch's browse list to begin with. I put in a bug report for that just now so hopefully it gets fixed soon. There's a lot more Shadow Fall broadcasters there with a lot fewer viewers - about 150 over 24 streams vs 350 over 5 streams. I'll probably change mine to the cool kids' channel manually.

I don't think enough people are talking about how well this game controls. Everything is fluid with a sense of weight, aiming is spot on, and the added climb/ziplines abilities are excellent.

It's really some of the best gunplay I've experienced in a while, with a solid movement model to back it up. All too rare a combination in shooters.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, this game is really pissing me off. I restarted The Last Stand, cleared a lot more enemies before the turret part, and then the turret part was still impossible. I restarted again, was chugging along, and the game crashed.

WTF is it with this horribly designed section? Is it just that it's on Hard? Is it this fucking broken on Normal too?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just got done
Fighting Echo in the operating room in Chapter 3
and man did I get a huge Event Horizon feel going through it so far. Game is pretty damn good.

Entered my Shadow Pack code successfully but no skins or soundtrack are showing anywhere. Where are addons listed/found?

Is this glitched?

Cess007

I wonder why people had so much trouble or were so mad with the free fall segment. Yes, you need to time it a bit and most will probably need a few tries to do it, but why the outrage?

It was quite easy.

I particular enjoyed some sections, but i can see why some wouldn't like it.

Anyway; finished the game yesterday and while i don't think it's a bad game, i think that what's more disappointed is that the game can be really great if it weren't for a horrible way to tell a interesting story (most of time i couldn't get why i were there) and some sections that are particular bad.

There were also some sections were i died way, way to much but i actually liked those changeling sections (
The Last Stand, and where you must resist before fighting the terrorist whom name i forgot
). Also, about the ending:
I kinda liked; specially the way Echo whispered "This is for Kellan", making it sound that over anything, she's also doing that for personal reasons

Ricker

Ok,I must have posted this in the wrong thread before and I can't find it,so I will ask here again.

I am at the start of the awful free fall part in Chapter 7...I managed to fall down quite a bit but at one point,after you hear the lightning,there seems to be no more holes or area to avoid and I just crash on the ground...where do I go near the end...?

pubba

Quick question: I'm downloading the game now from Amazon digital store ($5 free credit to next game!) and was wondering if I can play the story mode in co-op locally with a friend using my vita? That would be awesome if possible..

Failing that, can I play MP using my vita as a second controller/system for a friend to play with?

I actually like the second half of the game in comparison to the first half. I found the starting sections to be a bit meandering and unfocused.

I had no issues at all with chapter 8. I am surprised it was so hard for many.

Quick question: I'm downloading the game now from Amazon digital store ($5 free credit to next game!) and was wondering if I can play the story mode in co-op locally with a friend using my vita? That would be awesome if possible..

Failing that, can I play MP using my vita as a second controller/system for a friend to play with?

Unfortunately, the campaign doesn't have a co-op mode. And there's no local multiplayer, either. There will be an online co-op horde mode soon, available through a season pass.

tiddles

Ok,I must have posted this in the wrong thread before and I can't find it,so I will ask here again.

I am at the start of the awful free fall part in Chapter 7...I managed to fall down quite a bit but at one point,after you hear the lightning,there seems to be no more holes or area to avoid and I just crash on the ground...where do I go near the end...?

Aim for the walkways at the bottom, not the bits inbetween (which will kill you).

Toki767

I just beat the game. Last chapter was definitely my favorite. Otherwise, the single player was fairly uneventful and even boring in a lot of areas. Looked beautiful though.

Ricker

Aim for the walkways at the bottom, not the bits inbetween (which will kill you).

Nope,I dont see the difference between the walkway and the orange strips or anything,so I have no clue where to go,I just crash...guess I will try and find a Youtube video so I can see it...and I am doing that,why doesn't he land,will try again later.

EDIT: speaking of which,is it the PS4 that was suppose to have this option that someone could get in your game,do this small section so I can keep playing the game...or is it only when Gakai is rolled out(or is it a X1 thing).

Apoc87

Banned
Entered my Shadow Pack code successfully but no skins or soundtrack are showing anywhere. Where are addons listed/found?

Is this glitched?

Sorry I can't really be of much help, but I'm having the same issue (kind of). I posted this in the ps4 troubleshooting thread:

I tried to redeem a Shadow Pack preorder bonus code for Killzone Shadow Fall on the webstore, and theres no way to send the stuff to my ps4 through the download list.

I called Gamestop and got another code, and tried to redeem it directly on my PS4, and it wouldn't let me download the content because "that content has already been downloaded" (note it's not the same message I would get as if the code was already redeemed)

Anyone else had trouble like this?

I'm calling Sony when I get home tonight, maybe you should too.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Muffdraul

Sorry I can't really be of much help, but I'm having the same issue (kind of). I posted this in the ps4 troubleshooting thread:

I'm calling Sony when I get home tonight, maybe you should too.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

No idea if any of this is relevant to the issues you guys are having--

With the Amazon pre-order DLC code, nothing downloads when you redeem it. But the three OWL skins are unlocked in the game somehow. There was other content, an OST I think, and something else, I forget what... Somewhere I heard that Amazon had acknowledged that something went wrong and promised to fix it.

Ricker

And I thought Chapter 7's free fall section was awful,now I am at the chapter 8 one...I cant believe they actually agreed to do this,I mean wow,nothing stops this rain my ass,this does...wow,I am still in shock of how awful this is...I would like to know how many people will actually stop playing the single player because of this part,I bet at least 80% of the people will never finish the single player because of this horrid part...wow,did I say how awful this was lol...

I am not a multiplayer kind of guy but I guess I will try that before I snap the disk in half.

And I thought Chapter 7's free fall section was awful,now I am at the chapter 8 one...I cant believe they actually agreed to do this,I mean wow,nothing stops this train my ass,this does...wow,I am still in shock of how awful this is...I would like to know how many people will actually stop playing the single player because of this part,I bet at least 80% of the people will never finish the single player because of this horrid part...wow,did I say how awful this was lol...

I am not a multiplayer kind of guy but I guess I will try that before I snap the disk in half.

Beat it on my second try, not sure if you know this or not because they hint didn't pop up till my second try, but push O to break, it helps out so much.

Grinchy

Banned
I actually kinda liked the first free fall section. I didn't want to snap my disc in half until I got stuck on The Last Stand and its broken design.

At least the MP is awesome.

And I thought Chapter 7's free fall section was awful,now I am at the chapter 8 one...I cant believe they actually agreed to do this,I mean wow,nothing stops this rain my ass,this does...wow,I am still in shock of how awful this is...I would like to know how many people will actually stop playing the single player because of this part,I bet at least 80% of the people will never finish the single player because of this horrid part...wow,did I say how awful this was lol...
Haha, yeah.

I honestly cannot fathom how that section ended up in the shipping game as-is. They had to know that it would be a kick in the nuts to everybody who played it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Few notes about the freefall stuff.

- It's not fun at all.
- The controls aren't as bad as the hype, it's really just the setup. They should've set it up as if you were controlling a plane, or even had you on some sort of plane/hovercraft type thing.
- I think most people hate it as much as they do because they're struggling. Again it's a stupid part, but it's short.

There were a few strange parts like this in the game that really do hinder the experience. It's too bad, because on my hard playthrough once I had fully grasped the owl and the sonar (not sure what it's called), it was so great. It's only hard if you don't utilize these things properly, which I actually liked. KZ2's final section, was a lot of chance and stupidly hard, where if you knew what you were doing, this one wasn't bad at all, and your skill really dictated the difficulty.

edit- also what the hell at those stupid raft things... why doesn't he just have some sort of parachute? I mean it's the future right? Really stupid design lol. I had a glitch where he tossed it, but the raft never sprung... ended up just smashing into the ground haha.

Completely agree about the freefall stuff. It's shocking that somebody, somewhere thought that was a good idea. In what universe can somebody do that and survive? You'd be dead before you even got a chance to brake. It's a shame because those two freefall sections detract from what is otherwise a rock solid SP campaign. Sure, the story is a little cheesy at times but the atmosphere and design kept things interesting. Chapters 4-6 are fantastic and when you're escaping the helghan side of the city just as you started thinking that this was one of the best FPS campaigns in a long time you're forced to do that freefall section. I can see why a time pressed reviewer would be negatively inclined at that point. GG should patch those sections to be non interactive cutscenes instead.

Few notes about the freefall stuff.

- It's not fun at all.
- The controls aren't as bad as the hype, it's really just the setup. They should've set it up as if you were controlling a plane, or even had you on some sort of plane/hovercraft type thing.
- I think most people hate it as much as they do because they're struggling. Again it's a stupid part, but it's short.

There were a few strange parts like this in the game that really do hinder the experience. It's too bad, because on my hard playthrough once I had fully grasped the owl and the sonar (not sure what it's called), it was so great. It's only hard if you don't utilize these things properly, which I actually liked. KZ2's final section, was a lot of chance and stupidly hard, where if you knew what you were doing, this one wasn't bad at all, and your skill really dictated the difficulty.

edit- also what the hell at those stupid raft things... why doesn't he just have some sort of parachute? I mean it's the future right? Really stupid design lol. I had a glitch where he tossed it, but the raft never sprung... ended up just smashing into the ground haha.

This happened to me; I was really confused.

It's too bad, because on my hard playthrough once I had fully grasped the owl and the sonar (not sure what it's called), it was so great. It's only hard if you don't utilize these things properly, which I actually liked.
Yeah, and as expected my second playthrough feels very different. Everything plays out different when you're more comfortable with all of your tactical options. You notice more avenues for attack, can respond better to getting overwhelmed, and can just, in general, pull off more cool stuff.

I find myself scouting more with the drone in attack mode, either pushing into areas in front of me, or keeping it positioned to guard my flank. And I still have yet to fully incorporate adrenaline and its down-the-sights-slow-mo into my offensive toolkit. Its only there for revives or as an oh shit button, but I really want to start using it to kick some quality ass, especially for those encounters where you're overwhelmed.

There's a lot of stuff to experiment with still, which is a plus in my book.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, and as expected my second playthrough feels very different. Everything plays out different when you're more comfortable with all of your tactical options. You notice more avenues for attack, can respond better to getting overwhelmed, and can just, in general, pull off more cool stuff.

I find myself scouting more with the drone in attack mode, either pushing into areas in front of me, or keeping it positioned to guard my flank. And I still have yet to fully incorporate adrenaline and its down-the-sights-slow-mo into my offensive toolkit. Its only there for revives or as an oh shit button, but I really want to start using it to kick some quality ass, especially for those encounters where you're overwhelmed.

There's a lot of stuff to experiment with still, which is a plus in my book.

Well that's what I like about it, is that it actually changes the difficulty. Sometimes these type of features are gimmicky or tacked on, but the game was clearly built around your tactical options.

Ricker

I just dont understand exactly what I am suppose to do with the left and right analog...at some point I am looking up in the air at dark clouds...do I move the right analog to bring my view down while always pressing up on the left analog to get the pitch...the O button to apparently slowdown does nothing at all to help me,I dont know where I am going and I am dying because I am hitting stuff that I can't see,how the fuck am I suppose to avoid it if I can't see it...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Just finished that freefall section into the crumbling cityscape this morning - got all the way to where Echo lets you use her binocs for a second before I had to save and leave...

So .. I just have to say ... there are multiple points in this campaign that just stops their momentum dead in it's tracks. I never had anything like this with Kz2 or 3. Like.. over and over and over again one mistake deaths that completely pull me out of my immersion and fun. And on your way out of the Helgan side of the city... I spent fucking 45 minutes murdering wave after wave after wave after wave of people before I realized that I needed the petricite cell inside the array to spawn ATACS which make the entire fight basically a duck shoot.
Quite a few times where - if i'm in a hurry or a little tired or not paying 100% perfect attention I end up lost or turned around. Level design goes from epic and open and perfect to ridiculously convoluted and confusing.
Gunplay is fantastic and the controls feel much improved with the DS but why in the FUCK do i need to drop my heavy weapon to throw a grenade? I don't know how many times i tossed a fucking emp grenade and then tried to take down a walker with my silenced pistol... uhg..

So many things done right AND wrong in this thing. I've loved KZ since the first one on PS2 but... enthusiasm has been quelled.
I will say tho that the multiplayer is spot on and a ton of fun. Will probably go through the campaign one more time on hard for some trophies and such and then put it away completely for multiplayer. Echo's hot tho ..

So .. I just have to say ... there are multiple points in this campaign that just stops their momentum dead in it's tracks. I never had anything like this with Kz2 or 3. Like.. over and over and over again one mistake deaths that completely pull me out of my immersion and fun. And on your way out of the Helgan side of the city... I spent fucking 45 minutes murdering wave after wave after wave after wave of people before I realized that I needed the petricite cell inside the array to spawn ATACS which make the entire fight basically a duck shoot.

Echo tells you exactly what to do in that part and the objective markers point both to the petricite container and where you have to put it in.

Top Bottom