• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

I've played the previous Killzone games, they were alright, never bad. This game is on a while new level, apart from the graphics, this game is just bad. At least the Single player. The story is all over the place and there are many parts in the campaign that are just frustrating and confusing.

Also, I just got to that freefall in the city and what the fuck is this shit? I can't get past it. Ridiculous design.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Echo tells you exactly what to do in that part and the objective markers point both to the petricite container and where you have to put it in.

I popped the marker the first time as I was playing and it lit up above the containers you ride in... i figured the "array" was backtracking in the level so i had to fight my way through the waves of people to get there. figured I would clean everything out and then go get the container and jog it over easy peasy. After like my 3rd time when i killed at least 30 or 40 people and 4 walkers only to send out a ping and see ANOTHER wave of 10-15 guys and another walker coming that I was like fuck this and started running around tapping up and looking for more markers..
Also - I never said i didn't facepalm hard when i realized what I had to do .. but this was not the only spot where I had my ramping excitement for the game cooled off hard.

edit: for clarification - I'm still enjoying it and I love the franchise itself... Just kind of had the steam let out of my sails on the campaign.

whaaat the fuck >_>

I loved the free falling parts, both of them. I died alot on the second one, then inverted flight controls in the menu to beat it. but it was still amazing. all that beautiful scenery falling apart and crumbling as you're weaving through, sogood.gif

I thought the entire campaign of the game was great, some top tier stuff. Better in some places over the previous two games in relation to the story.

my only gripe is that they've ditched the focus on cover and cover mechanics.

Levito

Banned
That boss fight towards the end... What in the blue hell was that? To this day I think Radec in Killzone 2 was one of the most exciting boss fights in a first person shooter--the one in this game though, wow. Terrible.

Overall I think the campaign was a big step down from Killzone 2 and 3. It feels like they had a million ideas--and tried to do all of them.

Multy is great though.

Muffdraul

Few notes about the freefall stuff.

- It's not fun at all.

I actually thought it was pretty fun... at first. It was only after maybe the first ten deaths that it started to wear on me. And then at 25 deaths I wanted to literally punch Guerrilla. And then at 40 I finally made it to the landing.

Yesterday I was watching the Angry Joe video of him playing the game with a webcam on him the whole time. It was hilarious watching his face during that part, watching it gradually go from "Wheeeeee, what is this holy shit whoooaah this is crazy! =D" to "Someone, please, kill me right now. >=|"

Hattori

Banned
Just finished it. Story is alright, nothing to write home about. Gameplay was pretty good, I like how open (for an FPS) the world was. Graphics were good as expected, but the character designs seems out of place and almost cartoony to me. It was pretty enjoyable definitely worth a rent.

highrider

Banned
Yeah I actually love this campaign right up to seven, where it becomes more of a slog. The free fall segments are just tough. Both took me about 15 or 20 tries, and it is a pretty punishing game if you don't mind your environment. I can't always remember to use the owl but when I put it all together it's amazing.

Fnord

I'm on Chapter 7, in a part where you have to disable the security system (check), then open a huge hatch in the middle of the room (check) and are finally supposed to grab a rope and repel into the huge hatch opening in the middle of the room. I have no rope. And there's no way to line up the OWL's zip line so that it hits anything in the hole. And apparently it's not deep enough for the magic inflatable pillow thing, but too deep to just jump into without dying. I've restarted this section probably more than a dozen times. I've exited, then gone back in several times. Not once have I seen a rope. No rope, no continue. Anyone else run into this?

Vooduu

Damn Gaf is going to destroy me but I actually appreciated the ending.
Had me like wtf until the game cut away from the credits and you play as Echo.

I also liked Echo's character considering Kellan was a damn mute/boring. The story was your typical Killzone however but it was still a decent/fun campaign for a military styled first person shooter.

Hope Guerrilla games has Echo as the protagonist in the next installment with a hopefully better story. Come on Guerrilla, get some better writers!

Jonm1010

Banned
My thoughts after just getting into chapter 8:

Fuck every freefall part! Seriously whoever ok'd that shit should be fired. It's awful. Horrible controls, horrible design, just horrible. I was this close to quiting and starting assassins creed.

Outside of that though I'm really enjoying it. Better then the reviews would indicate I should.

The graphics are jaw dropping at times.

Now clearly though I can see where things were a little rushed or unpolished and while I like the game a lot I feel that this game could of been even better if it weren't a launch game but I'm still glad it is. If that makes sense.

Completely agree with everyone about the freefall segment. Took me at least 5-10 times to beat the chapter 7 freefall part. That's not even the last of it either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Made this based on images posted in the screenshot thread. Killzone 3 native capture upscaled to 1080p (as it would look on a 1080p display), and a similar shot from Killzone: Shadow Fall at native 1080p to show the visual improvement.

kilzonenqepd.png

The Goat

Few notes about the freefall stuff.

- It's not fun at all.
- The controls aren't as bad as the hype, it's really just the setup. They should've set it up as if you were controlling a plane, or even had you on some sort of plane/hovercraft type thing.
- I think most people hate it as much as they do because they're struggling. Again it's a stupid part, but it's short.

There were a few strange parts like this in the game that really do hinder the experience. It's too bad, because on my hard playthrough once I had fully grasped the owl and the sonar (not sure what it's called), it was so great. It's only hard if you don't utilize these things properly, which I actually liked. KZ2's final section, was a lot of chance and stupidly hard, where if you knew what you were doing, this one wasn't bad at all, and your skill really dictated the difficulty.

edit- also what the hell at those stupid raft things... why doesn't he just have some sort of parachute? I mean it's the future right? Really stupid design lol. I had a glitch where he tossed it, but the raft never sprung... ended up just smashing into the ground haha.

It was very frustrating. If it wasn't for that soft checkpoint, I might have never finished the game. It was literally making me nauseous. Shit fov and swimmy camera. Bleh. Glad I'm almost done with the game, it feels like it needs to end soon. Lol

exYle

Why does nobody online ever play Support?

Seriously I would like to play as other classes without having to constantly spawn at the original base

viveks86

Gaf! I just got past the free falling segment of the 8th chapter on hard difficulty and it was far from "bad level design"! In fact, it is one of my top 5 favorite segments in the game! I don't know what people mean when they accuse GG of not play testing it. Once you figure out the controls and the sequence, it was quite accurate and predictable! After about 15-20 attempts, I realized that the controls were not inverted for the free falling segment. Once I set that right, I could complete it within 5 attempts.
Another tip: follow the blue explosions
I didn't even have to use the brakes! It felt so satisfying when I landed on the airbag!

The sad part (for me) is, with such a negative reaction to this segment amongst critics and Gaf, I'm afraid they won't dare attempt something like this again. :'(

Still have the remainder of chapter 8 and the last 2 levels, but if not for the weak plot (which I think is still better than KZ2 and 3), I have nothing major to complain about the game! What a ride!!!!

Plan to post a quick review once I'm done, hopefully today. But for those who don't mind dying a lot, this is one helluva game! I highly recommend starting off at hard difficulty.

nib95

Banned
Made this based on images posted in the screenshot thread. Killzone 3 native capture upscaled to 1080p (as it would look on a 1080p display), and a similar shot from Killzone: Shadow Fall at native 1080p to show the visual improvement.

kilzonenqepd.png

What did you upscale using? Seems to have done a damn good job. But yea, crazy comparison. Can't believe how much of an improvement it is all round.

Ricker

Gaf! I just got past the free falling segment of the 8th chapter on hard difficulty and it was far from "bad level design"! In fact, it is one of my top 5 favorite segments in the game! I don't know what people mean when they accuse GG of not play testing it. Once you figure out the controls and the sequence, it was quite accurate and predictable! After about 15-20 attempts, I realized that the controls were not inverted for the free falling segment. Once I set that right, I could complete it within 5 attempts.
Another tip: follow the blue explosions
I didn't even have to use the brakes! It felt so satisfying when I landed on the airbag!

The sad part (for me) is, with such a negative reaction to this segment amongst critics and Gaf, I'm afraid they won't dare attempt something like this again. :'(

Still have the remainder of chapter 8 and the last 2 levels, but if not for the weak plot (which I think is still better than KZ2 and 3), I have nothing major to complain about the game! What a ride!!!!

Plan to post a quick review once I'm done, hopefully today. But for those who don't mind dying a lot, this is one helluva game! I highly recommend starting off at hard difficulty.

Please elaborate on how you finally got the controls right...what did you do with the left and right analog and please explain how you set the inverted right as well...

For me having to restart something 20 times is not fun but whatever,if you liked it.

Vidpixel

Damn Gaf is going to destroy me but I actually appreciated the ending.
Had me like wtf until the game cut away from the credits and you play as Echo.

I also liked Echo's character considering Kellan was a damn mute/boring. The story was your typical Killzone however but it was still a decent/fun campaign for a military styled first person shooter.

Hope Guerrilla games has Echo as the protagonist in the next installment with a hopefully better story. Come on Guerrilla, get some better writers!

Honestly, I think Echo should have been the main character instead of Kellan. She was infinitely more interesting.

Jharp

So I'm at the end of Chapter 7 on the hardest difficulty. The section where you get to defend the platform from an army of Higs and I got into the drop ship with the turret and hey, this is cool, I don't get to move and I just have to shoot EVERYTHING as I die. How the fuck am I supposed to do this?

This campaign fucking SUCKS, by the way. Looks great, and multiplayer is fun, but this campaign just blows. I loved KZ2 and and KZ3. This is balls.

Grinchy

Banned
So I'm at the end of Chapter 7 on the hardest difficulty. The section where you get to defend the platform from an army of Higs and I got into the drop ship with the turret and hey, this is cool, I don't get to move and I just have to shoot EVERYTHING as I die. How the fuck am I supposed to do this?

This campaign fucking SUCKS, by the way. Looks great, and multiplayer is fun, but this campaign just blows. I loved KZ2 and and KZ3. This is balls.

That's the part I've been stuck on too on Hard. Basically it seems like you have to clear out as much as humanly possible before you go into the turret. If you don't, then the turret section is impossible and you will just die 100 times while trying to figure out what you're doing wrong (like I did). It's a really stupid way to design a game IMO.

I've enjoyed the campaign up to that point, though.

Jharp

That's the part I've been stuck on too on Hard. Basically it seems like you have to clear out as much as humanly possible before you go into the turret. If you don't, then the turret section is impossible and you will just die 100 times while trying to figure out what you're doing wrong (like I did). It's a really stupid way to design a game IMO.

I've enjoyed the campaign up to that point, though.

It's cool, I traded the game in for Battlefield 4. I don't expect that campaign to be much better (though they'd have to try pretty damn hard for it not to be at least slightly better), but I'll enjoy the multiplayer more. KZ's MP is good, but I can still play KZ3, and it's better anyhow.

Thought the Free Fall section was gonna be a lot worse...ended up taking me 5 tries, went to eat dinner and found out I had to do it again because the checkpoint system sucks, and then it took another couple tries. The sense of speed took a bit of of adjustment but the only difficult part for me was where there was a tight turn but if you slow down there, it's mostly smooth sailing.

Lots of frustrating parts at the end though, that part with the turret in Chapter 7, the part just before the boss in Chapter 9, and the final shootout prior to the final cutscene all took me a considerable amount of tries that slow the game down to a crawl. If it weren't for Chapters 4, 5, and 6, I would have been really disappointed.

Grinchy

Banned
Thought the Free Fall section was gonna be a lot worse...ended up taking me 5 tries, went to eat dinner and found out I had to do it again because the checkpoint system sucks, and then it took another couple tries. The sense of speed took a bit of of adjustment but the only difficult part for me was where there was a tight turn but if you slow down there, it's mostly smooth sailing.

Lots of frustrating parts at the end though, that part with the turret in Chapter 7, the part just before the boss in Chapter 9, and the final shootout prior to the final cutscene all took me a considerable amount of tries that slow the game down to a crawl. If it weren't for Chapters 4, 5, and 6, I would have been really disappointed.

Yeah I don't know whose idea it was to make the game say "Checkpoint" on the bottom of the screen when you're not actually at a checkpoint.

viveks86

Please elaborate on how you finally got the controls right...what did you do with the left and right analog and please explain how you set the inverted right as well...

For me having to restart something 20 times is not fun but whatever,if you liked it.

In the controller options, there is a separate setting for inverting y axis for "flying". It is disabled by default. Once you invert that, you get controls similar to a flight joystick. I normally play with y axis inverted, so once this was done, the controls felt as natural as normal aiming.

SPOILER WARNING: Some more tips (the first one actually flashes on screen and was very useful)
The trick is to control your descent. So as soon as you start falling, level yourself by pulling on the left stick (after inverting it). Doing this alone would help you easily navigate the first 5-10 seconds and get your bearings.

I didn't have to use the air brakes, but I'm guessing that would help slow you down and buy a little more time.

Use the right stick to keep your trajectory in line with the blue lights you see below. There seem to be multiple alternate paths and all of them work well. There was a point where I needed to fly through a collapsing building (and it felt really good!).
In my opinion it is just a difficult section with an interesting navigational challenge. It's probably a minute long and it loads instantaneously when you die (hit options and restart checkpoint instead of waiting for it to automatically restart, it's much faster). Dying 20 times (on hard) can't be a big deal, especially if reloading the level is instantaneous. The whole thing took about 10-15 minutes. I've spent hours trying to get past certain levels on other games, so I can't complain at all. Didn't you play/enjoy hotline miami? :)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I will say that for all the anger the freefall section got out of me when i finally hit it on like my 6th try or what not (buildings falling all over section) - it was pretty fucking glorious looking. I took the middle path for the first 5 or 10 seconds then went to the right and went underneath a building as it hit the canyon wall next to it and crumbled to pieces juuuuuuuuust as i was making it through.

You definitely have more control the faster you go. if you brake too much or attempt to make too many heavy turns you'll lose speed and start to notice yourself just drifting in one direction even as you yank the stick the opposite way. Had at least 2 times where I died from clipping some metal pole with my face and i was actually more impressed with the fact that it was a modeled and physically present piece of the architecture instead of pissed that I was dead. Assumption being the mother of all fuck ups.. and all that...

And I'll say it again. Echo is banging hot. I almost hate to admit it but in the back of my head I was like "Run away together. run away together. Run away together!!!"

S1kkZ

cant wait till friday to play this. how long is the campaign (on easy or normal)? and is the coop mode availabe yet?

I just beat it now and I'm watching the credits. I thought all around it was a pretty great game, except for the free fall sections. I'm about to try the multiplayer and I'm pretty sure I'll play support.

drproton

I just beat it now and I'm watching the credits. I thought all around it was a pretty great game, except for the free fall sections. I'm about to try the multiplayer and I'm pretty sure I'll play support.

Your win rate will be significantly higher on support, because no one else bothers to heal and use spawn beacons.

viveks86

I will say that for all the anger the freefall section got out of me when i finally hit it on like my 6th try or what not (buildings falling all over section) - it was pretty fucking glorious looking. I took the middle path for the first 5 or 10 seconds then went to the right and went underneath a building as it hit the canyon wall next to it and crumbled to pieces juuuuuuuuust as i was making it through.

You definitely have more control the faster you go. if you brake too much or attempt to make too many heavy turns you'll lose speed and start to notice yourself just drifting in one direction even as you yank the stick the opposite way. Had at least 2 times where I died from clipping some metal pole with my face and i was actually more impressed with the fact that it was a modeled and physically present piece of the architecture instead of pissed that I was dead. Assumption being the mother of all fuck ups.. and all that...

And I'll say it again. Echo is banging hot. I almost hate to admit it but in the back of my head I was like "Run away together. run away together. Run away together!!!"

LOL. Glad to know that there are people who actually like the free fall section! It was glorious indeed! I wasted 10-15 attempts on default flight controls. Once I got the y axis inverted, it was a breeze!

Stuck at Ch 8 freefall segment. What a horrid gameplay design choice. Havent played the game since because of it.

See my previous comments and let me know if it helps at all.

For people who have played through the campaign and tested multiplayer - how do the guns feel? Is the gunplay as good as other top-tier shooters?

What is the weapon selection like?

drproton

For people who have played through the campaign and tested multiplayer - how do the guns feel? Is the gunplay as good as other top-tier shooters?

What is the weapon selection like?

Skill-based aiming puts it way above other console shooters in my opinion. There are quite a lot of options for weapons, but the attachments serve more as direct upgrades in a lot of cases.

Skill-based aiming puts it way above other console shooters in my opinion. There are quite a lot of options for weapons, but the attachments serve more as direct upgrades in a lot of cases.

I certainly like the idea of having to aim without an assist, though I was more asking about how the weapons felt. Killzone 2 had really satisfying gunplay, Battlefield likewise and FEAR have great feeling weapons. Killzone 3 feels more arcade and COD-ish so I was hoping SF had more in common with the former games.

drproton

It's definitely not up there with FEAR or the original Half Life in my opinion. But I don't find Battlefield very appealing in general, so you might have different tastes. The way everything moves is less CoD-like than KZ3, but snappier than KZ2.

Ricker

In the controller options, there is a separate setting for inverting y axis for "flying". It is disabled by default. Once you invert that, you get controls similar to a flight joystick. I normally play with y axis inverted, so once this was done, the controls felt as natural as normal aiming.

SPOILER WARNING: Some more tips (the first one actually flashes on screen and was very useful)
The trick is to control your descent. So as soon as you start falling, level yourself by pulling on the left stick (after inverting it). Doing this alone would help you easily navigate the first 5-10 seconds and get your bearings.

I didn't have to use the air brakes, but I'm guessing that would help slow you down and buy a little more time.

Use the right stick to keep your trajectory in line with the blue lights you see below. There seem to be multiple alternate paths and all of them work well. There was a point where I needed to fly through a collapsing building (and it felt really good!).
In my opinion it is just a difficult section with an interesting navigational challenge. It's probably a minute long and it loads instantaneously when you die (hit options and restart checkpoint instead of waiting for it to automatically restart, it's much faster). Dying 20 times (on hard) can't be a big deal, especially if reloading the level is instantaneous. The whole thing took about 10-15 minutes. I've spent hours trying to get past certain levels on other games, so I can't complain at all. Didn't you play/enjoy hotline miami? :)

No,I didnt enjoy Hotline Miami,I couldn't even get by the first room on the Vita...as for this game,thanks for the tips I will try that.

jwbrown77

Strange that people are having so much trouble with the freefall. There were sections that were soooo much harder and more frustrating than that.

The freefall really isn't that bad. They even give you a checkpoint in the middle of it.

Also, try to enjoy the scenery. That chapter was probably my favorite.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just got past Ch 7's freefall section and I was starting to get pissed off. Then I get to the actual bottom and get swarmed by Spiderbots. I'm starting to sense the game is getting ready to get bad. How much longer is the game?

Desty

Banned
I replayed chapters 2 and 3 yesterday. I found myself using the owl a lot more and it helped considerably. The part where you are
waiting for the evac
was a lot easier for me. Although
after the communications tower I went back to the center base and I shot 2 of the downed pilots because I thought they were enemies lol they don't even identify them on screen as your buddies

This was my first Killzone so I kind of expected the health to work like Call of Duty. That is, it is kind of hard to die in Call of Duty whereas in Killzone you die more easily.

JCizzle

Stuck at Ch 8 freefall segment. What a horrid gameplay design choice. Havent played the game since because of it.

Oh God, I just beat this part. HORRIBLE!!!

Gotta say, the forest level is by far the best zone so far. It's like they blew their load with this awesome, lush, open environment at the start, and then largely went back to corridors and drab indoor locations. Open it up Guerrilla! More stuff like the forest - there is a whole range of different environments you can incorporate.

Just got past Ch 7's freefall section and I was starting to get pissed off. Then I get to the actual bottom and get swarmed by Spiderbots. I'm starting to sense the game is getting ready to get bad. How much longer is the game?

Use the OWL to hack the boxes from a distance in that area, they're like proximity mines. Additionally, the OWL in attack mode is perfect for killing any mines that jump out before you can hack it. I don't think I've manually shot one of those things in the whole game.

Top Bottom