• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

pixelbox

I think this needs to stop. Not to single you out personally, Vooduu, but people have been saying this for 5 years now. They've had 4 mainline games and number of spin-offs to get this right. They haven't. The kindest thing you could say about any Killzone plot-line is "at least it's not terrible" which equates to absolutely nothing in a genre littered with mediocre campaigns. GG is physically, mentally, creatively, and logistically incapable of producing an interesting campaign. Killzone needs to be Old Yeller'd or turned into a MP game only. At this point, would anyone want other KZ over a brand new IP (outside of their rumored ARPG)?

1500? I was playing last night with friends. 89 total players in the deathmatch gametype.

dat installbase
dat paywall
dat mediocre ip

Ok, not trying to be a butt-hole or anything but what do you expect from the story? Do you have an Idea of some sort? In regards to story why would you focus on story when the general public won't even play it? GG even stated that a very low percentage actually completed KZ2/3 so I don't blame them going all at, this is the mentality of gamers until further notice. I mean, I'm not making excuses for GG but It would be such a money sink for them to fully explore the back-story only for people to skip it.

In terms of MP, the game started out with those player numbers so it was destined to fail to BF4 and COD:G. Consumers made their decision and decided to play the same shit yet again...

They should let the series cool off for a while and focus on the new FPS IP.

Kolgar

I watched him streaming MP a few days ago. He couldn't kill anyone. He was terrible at the game and was complaining about not being able to use a keyboard and mouse.

He's just bad at the game, so he dinged it. Bad review from him IMO.

Right around the four-minute mark he gets right to it. Absolutely could not agree with him more. This installment is visually beautiful, BUUU-UUUTTTTTT, it's an absolutely boring, frustrating, by-the-numbers experience.

I really wanted to like this, and I'm still bitter that I didn't. Bothers me because I've been in love/like with the franchise since the first game, and this game seems like a nail in the coffin.

Right about the 9:50 mark, he nails it on the poor pacing, repetition, and endless enemy waves.

Eleven-minute mark: Chapter 8 freefall. LOL

Holy shit, this guy's review is nuts-on.

Fifteen minutes in, complaints about the game not telling you what you're supposed to be doing, no mini-map. Yessir, right you are.

Lack of voice chat in multiplayer, forgettable protagonist, etc., etc., etc.

I'mma have to watch more of Angry Joe's reviews. We are simpatico on this one.

TyrantII

I watched him streaming MP a few days ago. He couldn't kill anyone. He was terrible at the game and was complaining about not being able to use a keyboard and mouse.

He's just bad at the game, so he dinged it. Bad review from him IMO.

I'm coming to the realization that most professional and amateur game critics (ie talking heads) are absolutely terrible gamers, but good talkers. Gaming is just the path of least resistance to becoming a talking head compared to other talking head niches.

It appears he's playing the game on easy or normal above to boot, and yeah, he's not that good at it.

Personally I've found playing games on hard or elite tend to show off their glaring flaws, especially in level design and AI. Killzone passed that test on hard at least; even if some hoard gameplay sections aren't everyones cup of tea.

I do agree with him on the pacing. But I'm left scratching my head what more he's looking for from a straightforward FPS. These games will never be Borderlands or Destiny, and shouldn't be.

Ricker

Damn I can't figure out what to do in chapter 8,after the free fall event...

I am at that giant turret or whatever its called,it spots me,then Echo says to look around and try to find something in order to disable it...am I suppose to shove 2 of those tubes you can shoot down from the flying robot things,stick in the 2 regulators and then shoot them....?I can do one but the other one is in the open,not sure I have time to shove it in there

johntown

Banned
Just finished the campaign. Besides the free fall and floating parts I enjoyed the game.

I don't expect much from the SP portion of shooters. Maybe that is why I enjoyed it?

I really only had a hard time in one part. When you have to fight like 50 enemies at once from the elevated position with other VSA guys. I really don't like being a sniper and your really forced to in that part.

What I consider the end boss was well done and reminded me of the end boss of KZ2.

My question to all the people saying the SP sucks.....are the SP in COD or Battlefield any better? Or is it just another standard corridor guide me by the hand shooter?

Once they patch voice chat into MP it will pickup. Now unless you have a pre formed party it kinda sucks because you cannot communicate with anyone on your team.

Minus that I really like the MP

anddo0

MP is enjoyable for a map or two. However it gets dull rather quickly. I have many friends with the game, but hardly any of them play online. I wouldn't mind this much if the randoms I play with online used their mic. But it seems that PS3 tradition has carried over in that respect.

Boogat

MP is enjoyable for a map or two. However it gets dull rather quickly. I have many friends with the game, but hardly any of them play online. I wouldn't mind this much if the randoms I play with online used their mic. But it seems that PS3 tradition has carried over in that respect.
There is no in-game voice chat in KZ. It's party chat only right now, but will be patched in at some point (according to the GG devs)

KZ2 is considered the best campaign by far, and I tend to agree. It's a wild marine Rollercoaster ride, but it's all gameplay and best described as a blitz to the Reichstag. "It can be infuriating on higher levels due to it's pretty smart AI and a few areas that will throw re-spawning enemies at you until you move up.

Still, it was really good.

I loved the atmosphere of KZ2, and it was a solid campaign with some great battles. I hated the end of it though, and didn't like the spawn areas - once I figured that out, it was just all about pressing forward to make the spawns stop (I'm not sure they were respawns, you could eventually kill of them I believe, but if you get less spawns by progressing beyond a certain border, it still feels the same).

Killzone 3 was perfect for me, but I do believe that was in no small part thanks to the Move support. The jumping enemies, and being able to jump yourself, the on-rails shooter sections, they were all awesome experiences with the Move controller. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it again. I've invited some guys over to come and test the Playstation 4, and now I'm thinking I'll boot up the older games first for nostalgia's sake.

Then again, I'd probably be sad about not having the Move controller available this time.

I've rarely been impressed by the story. Still believe I could do a better job, and I'm not an acclaimed author (though I did study English lit and narrative techniques, so who knows), but every time I play one of these games, I feel it begs for a game designer with an integrated vision of story and gameplay. It's exactly the type of thing why Uncharted 2 felt the better game vs Uncharted 3, as the story was more subjugated to the gameplay ideas in 3 vs 2 (but still really loved 3, because the gameplay was great fun).

Really look forward to trying Killzone 4 for myself. Priority for me is showing off the new hardware, and hope to have fun while going through the game. It looks pretty tough (not a die-hard shooter fan at all), so may try it on easy first and then see later if I still want to play it on harder levels, or just go for multi-player.

The voice chat situation is a pity. Getting this part right would have been a big blow towards the competition, but right now they're starting from behind again on that front. But at least they're already ahead on many others, unlike last gen, and they've shown a lot of capacity for catching up, so who knows!

Counting down the days, very excited. Thank god for games like Tearaway and Rayman Legends (playing on Vita and PS3), and my son just started to get old and interested enough to play games with me, which is also very exciting, and means I'll like see as much of Lego Marvel and who knows Knack (for the co-op and Disney like presentation).

nib95

Banned

It's really interesting having a review from someone who I watched play through the game. I wish we had the opportunity to watch all journalists play through the game, because it's crazy how much more you pick up, and how much more sense their reviews make.

Simply put, Angry Joe is pretty bad at Killzone Shadow Fall. Watching him play, whilst at times I absolutely shared his frustration, like the freefall section (which was weirdly designed and not properly explained), there were other sections where I just wanted to jump in and show him how to play. This is not fucking COD or BF4. Don't run and gun and play like you're invincible or that you can easily be a one man army. Use the bloody cover system and use the OWL to your tactical advantage as much as humanly possible. That's what it's bloody there for. Standing around whilst waves of enemies come at you is basically suicide. And no they don't have super human aim, if you're often just standing around like a headless chicken, it's fairly obvious anyone with half an ounce of military training could easily cap you off.

And that add some auto aim complaint, holy shit that made me lol. More so given he's a mainly PC orientated gamer. He's essentially asking for more hand holding because he doesn't have the skill or patience to learn to aim better. Then the progression complaint, one minute you want fps games to do things different, the next you want fps games to play more like COD or BF with typical unlock grinding and more auto aim. Baffling.

I respect his opinions, but not all of them gel with mine. I agreed with him on several complaints, for example waves of enemies and kill arena's. But other elements were way off key. It would make sense that if you can't gel with the gunplay and combat itself, nor utilise the tactical options on offer properly, you would be more allergic to having to fight against more enemies. But for those better versed at the gunplay, I don't think it'll be as much of an issue. I mean, KZ2 was non stop shooting in areas, but I enjoyed it because I loved the satisfying gunplay, especially on the harder difficulties and the challenge it brought. Honestly, the game obviously has flaws, but some of the points he brought up weren't valid imo. For example, GG should be commended for taking away auto aim, not berated for it.

P.S, aren't they bringing voice chat with a new patch?

I'd recommend everyone play through the campaign a second time. For me at least, the second play through has been far more enjoyable than the first. There are a ton of small things I missed (like the auto shotgun in Chapter 4)... and without way-finding frustration (which I had a bit of the first time), I'm simply amazed. I'm using the Owl much for effectively now and actually making use of my Adrenalin packs. This game is a solid 8 out of 10.

rashbeep

Banned
It's really interesting having a review from someone who I watched play through the game. I wish we had the opportunity to watch all journalists play through the game, because it's crazy how much more you pick up, and how much more sense their reviews make.

Simply put, Angry Joe is pretty bad at Killzone Shadow Fall. Watching him play, whilst at times I absolutely shared his frustration, like the freefall section (which was weirdly designed and not properly explained), there were other sections where I just wanted to jump in and show him how to play. This is not fucking COD or BF4. Don't run and gun and play like you're invincible or that you can easily be a one man army. Use the bloody cover system and use the OWL to your tactical advantage as much as humanly possible. That's what it's bloody there for. Standing around whilst waves of enemies come at you is basically suicide. And no they don't have super human aim, if you're often just standing around like a headless chicken, it's fairly obvious anyone with half an ounce of military training could easily cap you off.

And that add some auto aim complaint, holy shit that made me lol. More so given he's a mainly PC orientated gamer. He's essentially asking for more hand holding because he doesn't have the skill or patience to learn to aim better. Then the progression complaint, one minute you want fps games to do things different, the next you want fps games to play more like COD or BF with typical unlock grinding and more auto aim. Baffling.

I respect his opinions, but not all of them gel with mine. I agreed with him on several complaints, for example waves of enemies and kill arena's. But other elements were way off key. It would make sense that if you can't gel with the gunplay and combat itself, nor utilise the tactical options on offer properly, you would be more allergic to having to fight against more enemies. But for those better versed at the gunplay, I don't think it'll be as much of an issue. I mean, KZ2 was non stop shooting in areas, but I enjoyed it because I loved the satisfying gunplay, especially on the harder difficulties and the challenge it brought. Honestly, the game obviously has flaws, but some of the points he brought up weren't valid imo. For example, GG should be commended for taking away auto aim, not berated for it.

P.S, aren't they bringing voice chat with a new patch?

Lol he wasn't "berating" Guerilla at all for not including an aim-assist, he even said he felt as if he would eventually get used to it. And the "progression complaint" really wasn't even a complaint either he was just explaining that KZ has a different system in terms of how accessories are unlocked. That was actually a really fair review from Angry Joe.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer

I respect his opinions,

Why respect someone's opinion when they are not really qualified to review it professionally.
Playing every game like it is COD & complaining it isn't like COD shows he is just a random youtube uploader with a show.
I don't want to see him retro reviewing Doom or Goldeneye.

Ehh, Killzone 2 is the most polished campaign, but I actually think KZ:SF is the best campaign in the series.

I still don't understand why people harp so much on tiny, yet annoying, sections of the game. They're brief enough that it doesn't detract from the whole.

The gameplay in Shadow Fall is much better, and they consistently give you new mechanics to play with. It's more tactical shooter for sure, but I find this to be a breath of fresh air.

I can't really get into linear scripted rollercoaster games anymore.

Ilive1up

so, the support class is like the best class in the game and the most essential.

spawn beacon is basically the most clutch thing in the game + revive.

love playing support.

Ehh, Killzone 2 is the most polished campaign, but I actually think KZ:SF is the best campaign in the series.

I still don't understand why people harp so much on tiny, yet annoying, sections of the game. They're brief enough that it doesn't detract from the whole.

The gameplay in Shadow Fall is much better, and they consistently give you new mechanics to play with. It's more tactical shooter for sure, but I find this to be a breath of fresh air.

I feel ya there. KZ2 is the most polished in the series indeed but I'd easily say Mercenary and Shadowfall have the best campaigns.

I'm with you there bruh :)

btkadams

Just finished the campaign today. I really enjoyed the game. There are flaws, but the Killzone/Sci-Fi fan in me saw past them. The openness of the game really was refreshing.

KZ2 is considered the best campaign by far, and I tend to agree. It's a wild marine Rollercoaster ride, but it's all gameplay and best described as a blitz to the Reichstag. "It can be infuriating on higher levels due to it's pretty smart AI and a few areas that will throw re-spawning enemies at you until you move up.

Still, it was really good.

Considered best campaign? When it came out everyone was shitting on the campaign for how boring it was and how they wished it wasn't so linear. Just a typical COD clone, but pretty.

KZ2 was probably one of the most polished and straight forward campaigns GG did, but it was pretty boring... and it had douche bag Rico. KZ3 improved on alot of the campaign issues in 2, but KZ3 also felt sloppy, as it felt like it was missing huge chunks of the game. The way the story just jumped in spots made it seem like the game cut out stuff to get it released in time, and there was odd pacing issues with it too.

KZ:SF had great concepts, but it is full of blemishes. Really why was this game released at launch when the PS4 already had two of the biggest FPS franchises coming out at the same day? This game feels like it needed alot more time in the oven for polishing. Instead it does deserve the mediocre reviews. The MP is solid, but why are people going to pick up KZSF when they have COD and BF4 out the same day? If Sony wanted SF to be a new starting point for the franchise, they screwed up royally. The MP does nothing to set itself apart and the game is not going to get the attention it needs to break out into a major IP for Sony. If they had waited, gave time to make the game better and release it without the heavy weight competition, the game might have worked out better.

rdrr gnr

Ok, not trying to be a butt-hole or anything but what do you expect from the story? Do you have an Idea of some sort?
Yes. You can find the Killzone universe timeline online. It's a fleshed out, coherent universe with obvious parallels to real world geopolitics. It's inspired enough to be the basis of an interesting story which cannot be said for Call of Duty or Battlefield or most other military shooters. Yet, they keep going with a totally forgettable main protagonist. They don't get that nobody gives a flying fuck about Vekta or the ISA. They don't get that this game should set in a sci-fi/fantasy universe with military elements -- not the other way around. The only personalities they got right were Radec and Visari. Everyone else blows.
In regards to story why would you focus on story when the general public won't even play it? GG even stated that a very low percentage actually completed KZ2/3 so I don't blame them going all at
You don't blame them for spending millions on SP production? Paying writers thousands of dollars? Demoing the game regularly with SP setpieces? Blame the studio and Sony as much as you do the gamers. This game would have done just fine being a MP experience only. This franchise will never ever compete with Halo, CoD, BF, or TF. It's never going to happen. Stop trying to appeal to a broader audience and just service the fans.
this is the mentality of gamers until further notice. I mean, I'm not making excuses for GG but It would be such a money sink for them to fully explore the back-story only for people to skip it.
See above.
In terms of MP, the game started out with those player numbers so it was destined to fail to BF4 and COD:G. Consumers made their decision and decided to play the same shit yet again...
Yes, they did. This is the third time they've chosen to go with a different franchise. Should that alone kill Killzone? No. But should it be taken into consideration? Yes.
They should let the series cool off for a while and focus on the new FPS IP.
Guerrilla hasn't been able to produce a compelling game play experience outside of KZ2's MP. So what are they good at? They have top-tier art teams. So whatever genre and experience can showcase that talent -- go for it.

Also, they wanted to make this game a new stepping stone for players to join the franchise, and you didn't need to have played the previous games to enjoy this. I think they failed hard on that, the story is already disjointed but if you weren't familiar with the fluff and the past games, you would miss alot about this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I agree, although I'd give the nod to KZ2 for it's overall consistency but the parts I liked in SF I liked more than any other game in the series. They have a very strong base to build on for the next game.

Finished the story yesterday and I liked it. Loved the owl and actually felt like a special agent badass behind enemy lines. You can really tell this was a launch game, a lot of parts seemed rushed in terms of level design. I wish they were able to put in more open levels.

Either way, great launch game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Chapter 6 now, and I still really like the game. It's actually gotten better since the beginning, in my opinion. Ch5 had some really good firefighs. I'm worried what will happen in Ch7 and onward, but for now it's by far my favourite game in the series, and it's hard to believe it was made by the same people who made KZ3 (or KZ1 for that matter)

Again, keep in mind, I'm of opinion that KZ3 was an absolutely terrible and had so many eye rolling moments that made me want to forget I've ever played it by the end it was done. While it may not be something I'd normally call sophisticated, KZSF feels like it's made by a team of people wearing monocles, when you just finish playing KZ3 and jump right into SF, like it was the case with me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are you guys using L1/R1 or L2/R2 to shoot? I can't really find a comfortable spot with either of them with a DS4. Maybe my hands are too big.

SRTtoZ

So I played a solid 5-6 hours of the SP and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some things I noticed:

1) The open forest level should have been later in the game, they sort of throw you to the wolves where enemies are getting tossed at you from every direction, very tough for someone who just starts to learn the mechanics.

2) You need to use the OWL at all moments or else you will get overwhelmed by enemies. I remember when we first saw all the tricks they implemented in KZ like the OWL and the sonar thingy, people thought they were cheats. Nope, you really need to use all your tools to be successful in this game (something Angry Joe did NOT).

3) This game would have benefited greatly from a mini map. Its sort of impossible to know where all the enemies are at every moment, and you're supposed to be a Shadow Marshal with all these tech gadgets, not cool.

4) Visual are mindblowing. Nothing else to say, as a PC gamer primarily, I am wowed, the PS4 is the real deal when it comes to visuals, cant wait to see what Uncharted looks like.

5) Soundtrack is great, using my Bose headphones plugged into my controller is one of the best features ever (again, as a PC gamer who uses headphones 100% of the time).

I'll give a final update when I beat the game, so far impressed.

AlexIIDX

Just got through "The Last Stand" in chapter 7, it almost forced me to rage quit after about 15 deaths....the enemies are relentless. The main problem was that I didn't hear them mention the gunner seat till I finally saw it and got through....with that said, i'm enjoying the game so far and can't help but take a screenshot around every corner.

fake edit: first post after years of lurking :)

I agree, although I'd give the nod to KZ2 for it's overall consistency but the parts I liked in SF I liked more than any other game in the series. They have a very strong base to build on for the next game.

KZ2 was a very pretty, extremely well polished, yet fairly boring shooter. I never had the urge to replay the game, but on Shadow Fall there are definitely sections I'd love to go through again, just because of the breadth of options at your disposal.

I actually hope Guerrilla is done making Killzone games, but that Guerrilla Cambridge takes over their Shadow Fall engine and makes their own sci-fi FPS shooter which is a new IP.

Cambridge is an extremely talented studio given their Vita efforts, would like to see that talent shine on the PS4 since it's unfortunately looking like there will be no 'core' traction to the Vita. And honestly, that's fine, I love my Vita, but I love it more for games like Gravity Rush and Tearaway than I do Killzone and Uncharted....which I would prefer to be on a console.

Are you guys using L1/R1 or L2/R2 to shoot? I can't really find a comfortable spot with either of them with a DS4. Maybe my hands are too big.

Using default L2/R2

Was originally against the idea since I prefer instantly shooting, but the DS4 has very light triggers that are easily pressed and feel wonderful. I never liked the 360's triggers since it took far too much force to register a shot.

Jetman

Got to the dreaded Chapter 8 and just laughed my ass off - GAF was right! Turned the game off and decided to play Knack for awhile to cool down. It's not ruining the game for me, it's just a shitty segment. Still enjoying it over all.

And Dat Angry Joe at 11:00 mark. Haven't laughed that hard in awhile. I feel his pain...

TyrantII

3) This game would have benefited greatly from a mini map. Its sort of impossible to know where all the enemies are at every moment, and you're supposed to be a Shadow Marshal with all these tech gadgets, not cool.

Must have missed right on the D-Pad, which is essentially a giant cheat button that highlights every enemy around you.

I found turning off the HUD and crosshairs evens it out a bit.

Iacobellis

Man I am really having a hard time beating this game. I find it SO boring. Game looks awesome and has an interesting premise. But sadly they don't do anything with it, instead just give you dumb AI to fight and the typical corridor shooter.

I know most wanted an more open world game, and more options to take out the enemies in levels, but I really feel it hurts this game. The big set pieces are now gone. Instead, the set pieces are now the graphics and levels. I kind of wish this was more scripted or linear. Least that way I knew where I had to go and to do and not have to hit up on the D Pad every two seconds. It's nice that the game doesn't hold your hand, but at the same time, if I have to keep hitting up on the D Pad, it might as well just hold my hand.

I feel the reviews this game got were rightfully so. Which is a shame, cause I loved the other games. I give them credit for trying something new with the series. But I wish they more went into the history of the universe than just a plain old shooter with really bad pacing.

At first I thought it was just me, but I also find the campaign painfully boring. I'm just trucking my way along right now, doing about a mission a day.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of single player games, but Call of Duty 4 had me hooked from beginning to end. So much suspense throughout the campaign and actual difficulty. Hard on this has been somewhat of a breeze.

TyrantII

So much suspense throughout the campaign and actual difficulty. Hard on this has been somewhat of a breeze.

Heh, a little too much there.

il_570xN.168535489.jpg

There is no in-game voice chat in KZ. It's party chat only right now, but will be patched in at some point (according to the GG devs)

The flagship first-party launch shooter, finally a mic bundled with the system... how in the hell did they not have voice chat ready at launch?

I've heard that, never gave it a proper chance after KZ1 left such a bad taste. Only reason I even touched Shadowfall's campaign was out of curiosity for Owl, and I wish they'd played around with it more. With armor upgrades and levels designed around it's abilities it could've been very prominent instead of the simpler tool that it is.

KZ2 on Elite was tough but mostly fair. I think the only nightmare sections were the Train and that fucking Radec level thats a chainsaw of difficulty spikes. The rest is excellent gunplay.

calder

I spent the large majority of my PS4 time since launch on AC4, but last night I decided to play some Killzone so I stop hearing sea shanties in my dreams.

Enjoying the SP more than I expected to honestly. I just started chapter 6, and the shooting is pretty fun, the environments are varied and interesting and the visuals are simply jaw-dropping. Almost forgotten is the excellent audio design, which is superb and really giving my surround speakers a workout.

The story is merely OK, and sure it ain't subtle, but about half way through game I think the overall SP has been undersold a bit. It did take a bit of getting used to, especially in how the objectives aren't as clear as lazier FPSs have made me expect. Like how it tells you your objective is to get the engines of the ship going, but the only waypoint is for your destination instead of the door you need to get open in order to proceed past the location you're currently in. After numerous games that would have a giant icon flashing on the door and a helpful PUSH O TO OPEN you could see halfway across the map it was a bit of a change. ;)

params7

Banned

The most stupidest shit I've seen these game developers/Sony do. What the FUCK were they thinking? Everybody should stay quite in public games?

SoulClap

I finished the SP yesterday and I have to say it's one of the most visually stunning games I've ever played. Definitively one of the top soundtracks of the year as well, it's a shame the surround mix is so terrible. Other than some sections in chapter 8, I enjoyed the gameplay as well. I hope the OWL makes a return for the next game.

FrankWza

It's just gimmicky. ..middle levels were the best part. Guns werent as fun as othe kz's. But it is beautiful and some ship scenes where you are transported are really really great looking.....look real. Especially the last one in the game. I hope mercenary is better because I'm getting it on bf. But there are gonna be some si c k looking ps4 games based on this being a launch title.

SRTtoZ

Just beat it in 2 sittings. Overall, its good but has its frustrating parts (second half of the game) and there are no reason for waves and waves of enemies in this day and age. Thats not fun and never will be. As for the freefall section, I took me about 20 tries since I had no idea which way to go, but once I found out you had to stay center/left then it was pretty easy. Ending was okay, credits were pretty good etc.

I finished up the SP.

There were some serious bonehead decisions in the latter chapters, especially regarding the sections of the game where you aren't just shooting things. The shooting things portions of the game, which is most of the game, are quite good. Guerrilla has definitely upped their shooting gameplay from KZ1-3, this game is actually quite a bit of fun to play during the normal sections. It's a shame that some of the non-normal sections are so unbelievably awful, like who the hell thought some of those sections were even remotely a good idea?

The engine and tech they have are absolutely amazing. This game absolutely looks next-gen from start to finish. The sound was very well done as well, and I didn't have any issues with the voices being too low as I play on a full 5.1 home theater. They have a perfectly smooth and playable gameplay system in place too, with very fluid and slick shooting mechanics. I just hope that without the rush to launch, Guerrilla can make an overall more consistent game for their next PS4 title.

Overall, I really enjoyed Killzone: Shadow Fall's SP campaign. I hope there will be another Killzone game, Guerrilla has really shown a lot of growth in making FPS titles and I think that they could make a game where everything comes together to be that perfect 10/10 shooter.

I just finished the infamous chapter 8 free fall and I have have a tip for anyone having trouble with it. Instead of trying to directly aim your character with the left thumbstick, think of it as a first person Super Mario 64 winged cap.

I was on the verge of becoming really frustrated with the section when that sort of clicked with me and I did it in one try, easy.

As for the rest of the game up until that point, I think other people in this thread hit the nail on the head when it comes to how this game was rated by the press.

For instance, in the Giant Bomb quick look of Shadowfall I don't believe Jeff ever changes his OWL from attack mode. It seems like a lot of reviewers tried to brute force their way through the game and got frustrated when not using the tools presented to them by the game led to them performing poorly.

In fact, a lot of the complaints levied at the game actually seem like strengths to me. Things like not having a minimap so you don't always know exactly where to go, and auto-aim not being an option keep you engaged to a greater extent than most other modern FPSs.

Grinchy

Banned
I just finished the infamous chapter 8 free fall and I have have a tip for anyone having trouble with it. Instead of trying to directly aim your character with the left thumbstick, think of it as a first person Super Mario 64 winged cap.

I was on the verge of becoming really frustrated with the section when that sort of clicked with me and I did it in one try, easy.

As for the rest of the game up until that point, I think other people in this thread hit the nail on the head when it comes to how this game was rated by the press.

For instance, in the Giant Bomb quick look of Shadowfall I don't believe Jeff ever changes his OWL from attack mode. It seems like a lot of reviewers tried to brute force their way through the game and got frustrated when not using the tools presented to them by the game led to them performing poorly.

In fact, a lot of the complaints levied at the game actually seem like strengths to me. Things like not having a minimap so you don't always know exactly where to go, and auto-aim not being an option keep you engaged to a greater extent than most other modern FPSs.

If there's one thing I learned from watching launch streams from review sites, it's that reviewers are fucking terrible at playing games. And so many people put stock in their baseless opinions.

jet1911

If there's one thing I learned from watching launch streams from review sites, it's that reviewers are fucking terrible at playing games. And so many people put stock in their baseless opinions.

That section is still super dumb. Your movement through the air don't even make sense, shit falls in your face constantly, there's no clear path to take... Not the best part of the game. Also if I have to interact with another Petrusite capacitor I will snap a kitten in half.

EDIT: Chapter 8 was horrible from start to finish. Fighting anything other than human ennemies in this game is a pain in the ass. I have a high tolerence for bullshit section in games but that part almost made me want to trade in the game right now.

Top Bottom