• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

How can you say that when Sylvie is in the demo. HAVE YOU SEEN HER WALK BACKWARDS?!
Tbh, I expected to be completely annoyed by everything about her.

I'm not as annoyed as I thought which is a pleasant surprise. Still not playing her though.

mdsfx

So will people actually play this game (online and in Tournaments) in single-character mode? Or do we expect that it will not be used often?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
First things first, man the game looks really good when you see it in real-life. The trailers don't do it justice. Anyway...Mai is so damn fun. Loving her. Not sure about the toe socks though.

vg260

This is definitely SNK trademark and one of the reason I favored them. You have much more movement freedom than in Capcom games and that makes the aerial game much more interesting.

But it used to be worse in Capcom front. Remember they didn't even have Backdash / Forward dash in the beginning. I don't think people think those are now complicated and unnecessary. KoF just had all those options from the start.

Maybe I'd get used to them, but it just seems like there's so little margin for error between them, I don't think I'd ever pull the one I wanted out consistently in a match.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm amazed by people finding KOF inputs hard.

Play Fatal Fury Special to see real weird ass fuck inputs

down, down-back, back, down-back, down, down-forward, foward, up-foward + A+B

and pray the joystick was working properly

Ferrio

Banned
So will people actually play this game (online and in Tournaments) in single-character mode? Or do we expect that it will not be used often?

Online? Maybe. Tournies, no. 3v3 is the default mode and it's what makes KoF what it is.

qcf x2

How can you say that when Sylvie is in the demo. HAVE YOU SEEN HER WALK BACKWARDS?!

Nothing will ever beat Shermie.

You're both right. Both also have awesome win poses. The Shermie shuffle and the Sylvie shuffle.

If it's new to people it's going to be kinda hard. Like for me, Nelson isn't clicking yet because I'm not used to that kind of flow even though it's just forward + button. I always felt some of the craziest motions were in Street Fighter: the down up charge supers, SJC stuff and tiger knee up motions (the latter was a super motion in KoF). You get used to all of them with practice but at first yeah it's going to be tough to not be able to just rely on muscle memory. My least favorite are those rhythmic extender supers like Rock and Athena (2002) have where after inputting the motion you have to do button presses just right.

Heyyyyyy guys, what's the taunt input :-\

Hyun Sai

You're both right. Both also have awesome win poses. The Shermie shuffle and the Sylvie shuffle.

If it's new to people it's going to be kinda hard. Like for me, Nelson isn't clicking yet because I'm not used to that kind of flow even though it's just forward + button. I always felt some of the craziest motions were in Street Fighter: the down up charge supers, SJC stuff and tiger knee up motions (the latter was a super motion in KoF). You get used to all of them with practice but at first yeah it's going to be tough to not be able to just rely on muscle memory. My least favorite are those rhythmic extender supers like Rock and Athena (2002) have where after inputting the motion you have to do button presses just right.

Heyyyyyy guys, what's the taunt input :-\

Try Geese howard Raging Storm in the old Fatal Fury games.

umZk7.jpg

And no leniency. And the super was crap anyway. Pure madness.

sibarraz

Banned
Ah ah ah Geese Raging Storm input must be the most absurd thing ever for such a shitty super.

Raging Storm isn't that bad (maybe I got used to it since the command is used in all the games sans Garou: MOTW.) and It had helped me a lot on versus (if people jump without caring) I'm more talking about the likes of Juubei which is a command throw that requires you to be close while doing a charging command backwards, or Lawrence Blood DM that I can't pull all the times even though he is one of my mains.
Tung Fu Rue and Duck King are hard too

You're amazed people find a thing hard because there are harder things out there?

With an SF background I actually do, modern KOF and modern SF don't differ in inputs that much unlike the 90's where the difference was way higher. And both franchises had toned down the strictness of his inputs. Heck, doing command grabs on SF imo is way harder that in KOF with the 360's and 720's. And in sf iv some characters had snkesques inputs for the command grabs.

Is another story if people came from MK, or 3d games, there I could see the difference being bigger

Still, like someone said, not everyone has the same adaptability

manakel

Downloaded and played the demo yesterday, and it's absolutely amazing. I'm going to have a lot of fun playing it to pass the time waiting for the release.

While the graphics are generic looking, they look much, MUCH better in person than watching a video online. Certainly not a reason to brush the game off.

Ryce

I don't necessarily find the inputs difficult (I can perform the commands consistently), but they're convoluted and not really fun to pull off. It's too much work. It feels like I'm piloting a fighter jet at times. QCB and then forward isn't difficult, but what's wrong with QCB by itself?

SephLuis

umZk7.jpg

Try this on Arcana Heart 3:

9.jpg

Arcana isn't too difficult regarding inputs. But I never managed that last special move

Regarding the game, does anyone have a BnB combo list for any of the demo characters ?

I am not adapting very well to KOF style of combos (never played much of the series) and I want to see if I can, at least, use some BnBs to see if I can have some fun with it.
So far, I liked the boxer from the demo.

HotHamBoy

You guys, don't use the analog stick. It's too slow and imprecise for twitch movement.

You just need to acclimate your brain and fingers to the d-pad. It's not going to happen right away. And if you are used to SF4/5 or MKX then the inputs are going to be tighter than those games. They have a lot of leniency.

If you are truly interested in fighting games I suggest trying a stick. I'm not saying it makes you a better player, but it's much more comfortable and easier to use once you wrap your brain around it. No sore thumbs or cramped hands, inputs and multi-button presses are easier.

I also think the kinetic feedback of a stick is much more satisfying.

Xevren

9.jpg

Arcana isn't too difficult regarding inputs. But I never managed that last special move

Regarding the game, does anyone have a BnB combo list for any of the demo characters ?

I am not adapting very well to KOF style of combos (never played much of the series) and I want to see if I can, at least, use some BnBs to see if I can have some fun with it.
So far, I liked the boxer from the demo.

Just say who you want bnb's for and I'm sure people can hook you up. Nelson bnb's are pretty different compared to the rest. For him I use:

cr lk, cr lp, b+lp xx b+ lk xx f+hk xx b+lk xx f+hk then it depends what you want to do, you can do st hk into light hcf+lk for reset shenanigans, or go into climax. Can make a video if it sounds weird which I'm sure it does once I'm home from work.

NZerker12

Is there a reason why Kyo's SDM version of his Orochinagi (QCB HCF + P move) no longer covers him with fire? I used to love this version of the move.

Finally got to try the demo on lunch break. Once I got past the 3 to 4 frames of lag on the TV in the break room and the 3D models smoothly flowing from move to move, it feels like 2D late 90s KoF to me. Good stuff. It will be nice to try it on the lagless set with my arcade stick when I get home tonight.

qcf x2

Are there shortcuts? SF and other games have'em like crazy. Maybe that'd help people.

Yes there are. The cancel shortcuts are actually given in the tutorial (which is amazing if you think about it), and you can definitely DP from df, df + punch.

9.jpg

With the input leniency you can actually just mash everything really fast as long as you get the directions right =D

---
I find the stuff in KoF14 pretty doable so far, especially once i started holding the button for the increased buffer and stopped doing shit too fast. Definitely easier than 13.

Was really fun to try the demo. Btw I was a bit puzzled by that you can combo by just keep tapping low punch which connects to a combo and super. This is new isnt it?

The Neo Max mode takes time getting used to. I know it is from XIII which I havent played enough but KOF is as fun as ever with its speedy style. There is quite a lot of content for a demo. I do find XIII a bit speedier than XIV but it is still fun as hell. However I couldnt quite understand how to use the boxer but the other new characters are fun.

VariantX

umZk7.jpg

And that's on top of also having rashomon and deadly rave as supers in various versions of this character. The input leniency may vary between his appearences, but he hasn't been known for simple input supers

ldcommando

Banned
my favorite wtf input in snk games is haohmaru´s on samsho2. His hidden special. Not even gonna spoil it here, look it up.

SephLuis

Just say who you want bnb's for and I'm sure people can hook you up. Nelson bnb's are pretty different compared to the rest. For him I use:

cr lk, cr lp, b+lp xx b+ lk xx f+hk xx b+lk xx f+hk then it depends what you want to do, you can do st hk into light hcf+lk for reset shenanigans, or go into climax. Can make a video if it sounds weird which I'm sure it does once I'm home from work.

Thanks. Gonna give this a shot.

I didn't liked to much of the other characters. I just wanted a combo to get the feel of the game.

I played a little of KOF 13 and I used Kim, Shen and never quite decided on a third character.

Any good in-depth guides (text or video) on how to efficiently buffer supers (or just writing on here would be nice too)? Having trouble canceling into QCF/B -> HCB/F motions.

Neoxon

So far, so good. Though it's been so long since I've played KoF that I've grown a bit rusty. Maybe this demo being out so early will help me get the rust off before the game actually drops.

orioto

Good Art™

umZk7.jpg

Saturn dpad made all of this so easy anyway. Now i remember trying some Samurai Shodown moves on the neocd pad... oh my.

But talking about dpad, i'm having some hard time with the PS4 one, cause it's not smooth enough.

Top Bottom