• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

I dunno I hated KH2's opening but Final Mix Critical mode makes it tons more fun since you can die easier.

KH2's replay value/replay pacing would be a lot better if it functioned something like Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 (with their two-mission structure) and let you choose to replay Roxas' segment as many times as you wish and Sora's segment as many times as you wish once you've completed the game.

Well, I attempted Seph again. Level-wise, I think I should be good. I don't want to grind to 90 for second chance, although I might grind until 75 for the second mp rage.

I managed to get him to his second phase on my second attempt and died due to using strike raid too slow when he started his 1hp/0mp move. Third attempt, I got him pretty far down his second phase and he omnislashed me. I forgot how I survived that one back then. I think I just guard spammed. Maybe I could abuse leaf veil in this one, but it might cost too much mp to keep it up for the whole duration.

This is still my favorite optional fight in the series (maybe until I fight the new one later or when KH2FM comes out).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I had forgotten the two things I absolutely hated about the original game. The platforming and the gummi ships. Wow. =/

Reyne

I had forgotten the two things I absolutely hated about the original game. The platforming and the gummi ships. Wow. =/

How ironic. I loved those parts. Well, I enjoyed building gummi ships and such. The platforming added to the exploring of the game and the worlds and I was sad to see it go in the latter games of the franchise, rather than expanding and improving it. Most levels in KH2 and BBS feels so flat, single-layered and straight-forward. Kingdom Hearts 1 actually made you run around looking for what to do next, to an extent. The platforming sort of made you wonder if you could reach certain places ( which you could ).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How ironic. I loved those parts. Well, I enjoyed building gummi ships and such. The platforming added to the exploring of the game and the worlds and I was sad to see it go in the latter games of the franchise, rather than expanding and improving it. Most levels in KH2 and BBS feels so flat, single-layered and straight-forward. Kingdom Hearts 1 actually made you run around looking for what to do next, to an extent.

I did Deep Jungle last night. My gosh the platforming was bad. The zoomed in camera angle where Sora takes up a fairly large chunk of the screen and the somewhat unfriendly camera control where I can't exactly get a better perspective on something just made things a nightmare. At least FPV exists.... I guess...

What makes that cheap? Tinker Bell is one of the assorted things (like Dodge Roll, Cure, Guard, Aero, Leaf Bracer, and Second Chance) that make it significantly easier for Sora to stay alive. If you can summon Tinker Bell in a boss fight, DO IT.

You're never in any danger of dying since her summon duration lasts forever. I use the other abilities you mentioned too, but I still find myself having a challenge with them equipped.

The platforming added to the exploring of the game and the worlds and I was sad to see it go in the latter games of the franchise, rather than expanding and improving it. Most levels in KH2 and BBS feels so flat, single-layered and straight-forward. Kingdom Hearts 1 actually made you run around looking for what to do next, to an extent. The platforming sort of made you wonder if you could reach certain places ( which you could ).

This is why I so disappointed in KH2's worlds. Personally, I felt BBS and DDD were improved in this area, but I don't think they've found a sweet spot yet.

Did you get the LE? That case is terrible. I watched my friend crack the center ring of his disc by putting it in there, and his PS3 wouldn't read it, and he was being vary careful with it.

Also, the superslim PS3 is sketchy when it comes to disc care. Just sayin'!

It's a regular slim, not superslim, but yeah, it's the LE I got. Case is lousy but still, not a mark on the disc I can see :/

Well, I attempted Seph again. Level-wise, I think I should be good. I don't want to grind to 90 for second chance, although I might grind until 75 for the second mp rage.

I managed to get him to his second phase on my second attempt and died due to using strike raid too slow when he started his 1hp/0mp move. Third attempt, I got him pretty far down his second phase and he omnislashed me. I forgot how I survived that one back then. I think I just guard spammed. Maybe I could abuse leaf veil in this one, but it might cost too much mp to keep it up for the whole duration.

This is still my favorite optional fight in the series (maybe until I fight the new one later or when KH2FM comes out).

Omnislash isn't that tough to survive as long as you dodge roll the fuck out of it. You should have a sufficient number of invincibility frames between dodge roll and Curaga to survive pretty handily. Honestly, I always found Omnislash to be less hazardous than some of the other shit he can pull.
You're never in any danger of dying since her summon duration lasts forever. I use the other abilities you mentioned too, but I still find myself having a challenge with them equipped.
You can be in plenty of danger of dying - Tinker Bell vanishes and can no longer be summoned in that same battle if you die with her equipped (she resurrects you with full health). Against super-tough enemies like Kurt Zisa and Mysterious Figure you'll likely find that you lose Tinker Bell at some point.

Hagi

Wow picked this up earlier, so good. My hype for X and X-2 just went through the roof, S-E have done a fantastic job.

Need to get all them damn dalmations this time!

Omnislash isn't that tough to survive as long as you dodge roll the fuck out of it. You should have a sufficient number of invincibility frames between dodge roll and Curaga to survive pretty handily. Honestly, I always found Omnislash to be less hazardous than some of the other shit he can pull.

I think I'll try to just dodge roll around next time. He caught me by surprise because I completely forgot about that move and then I saw the screen go dark while I was using an ether.

Edit: 5th attempt and I got to his 3rd phase with only using ethers. I think I can beat him with using elixers. I'll try that later tonight.

Voror

Hmm, just had an instance where the audio dropped. Was after beating Leon when we cut to Riku. Couldn't hear a thing he was saying and the background audio was quite loud.

Betty

Banned
Hmm, just had an instance where the audio dropped. Was after beating Leon when we cut to Riku. Couldn't hear a thing he was saying and the background audio was quite loud.

If it's the part where he's near waterfalls and Maleficent is shown, then it's not supposed to have any voices, just background audio.

It's intentional. It's one of the Final Mix exclusive cutscenes that have no voice acting.

Atruvius

Got a weird visual glitch during one of the Wonderland cutscenes. Goofy's pupil textures weren't showing up, it was pretty creepy!

Anyone else had this?

Yeah, Goofy was missing a pupil in his right eye for me. It looked real creepy.

Played the game eight hours today. Managed to close keyholes in Neverland and Deep Jungle. I died several times at the Clayton boss fight, but I beat him after I replaced Donald with Tarzan.

And finally got the warp drive for the gummi ship. I didn't remember how boring those gummi ship sections in the first game were.

McNum

Ooh, just got Ripple Drive. Does that replace Sora's usual huge swing finisher completely? Nice! Should i drop Stun Impact now? This thing is powerful, but it doesn't stun. I'm not sure if i want to keep the 30% chance or not.

Been defeated a few times already on the normal final mix difficulty. I'm a bit rusty at the game. The usual suspects. *cough*Clayton*cough* but I got Cure and Dodge Roll now and mauled Cerberus fairly decisively.

SeZMehK

I got the game yesterday. I finally was able to start playing it today. I got 358/2 days out of the way since it was the only KH game I didn't play. I then started KHFM on Proud. Watching the opening brought back many fond memories I had with this game.

RedSwirl

Download Link

khhdu3xas.png

Carbonox

Really dislike Deep Jungle. Even now. Pain in the ass to navigate. Done the return to Traverse Town and am now in Agrabah. One of my favourite places in the game.

Lace

Does anyone know if glide is only an ability in this game or does it make a reappearance in latter games? I only played up to KH2 and I don't remember it being in there.

McNum

Does anyone know if glide is only an ability in this game or does it make a reappearance in latter games? I only played up to KH2 and I don't remember it being in there.
You had to level up one of the later Drive forms to get it. Master Form, if I remember right, maybe Final. DDD had it, too, but it was vastly overshadowed by Flowmotion in that game. Who needs glide when you can scale walls and do midair boosts Megaman X style?

Why did S-E release this with GTA5 right around the corner. Theres going to be a blood fued in my household over gets to play their most anticipated release of the year.

Tygamr

Finally got my copy in the mail. The CE is really nice, and game looks great. Only thing I don't like is that at the start if you pick analog camera controls, they're inverted.

Lace

Yes, it returns in several future titles.
That's good to hear. I don't know why but the not being able to fly really turned me off when I was playing KH2. Now I can look forward to 2.5 HD whenever it releases.

You had to level up one of the later Drive forms to get it. Master Form, if I remember right, maybe Final. DDD had it, too, but it was vastly overshadowed by Flowmotion in that game. Who needs glide when you can scale walls and do midair boosts Megaman X style?
I'm going to have to look up some videos of that Flowmotion. Sounds really awesome to watch.

Finally got my copy in the mail. The CE is really nice, and game looks great. Only thing I don't like is that at the start if you pick analog camera controls, they're inverted.
First thing I changed in the settings.

Just finished Deep Jungle, and though I'm really enjoying playing through it again, its reminding me how archaic stuff was early last generation. I've been playing Okami HD recently, so that has kind of skewed my perception of it, but just simple mechanics that I've come to rely on over the past 2 generations, like cancelling out of a combo and parrying are incredibly awkward or not entirely reliable. Still, I can see myself 100% it like I did originally to get all the endings (Playing on FM, don't think I'd have kept my sanity on Proud).

SkylineRKR

I died a few times in traverse town and the Wonderland final boss was boring as fuck, but its been smooth sailing since. I obliterated the Jungle and Opposite armor bosses. Seems that Staff - Shield is a great choice. I started at Dusk though, I like the idea of leveling faster during the late game.

I did die in the Gummi ship a few times though, but those parts are so god damn terrible.

This is my first time actually playing the game, having pretty much dismissed it back when it released. I just got to Agrabah, playing on Normal to begin with.

All I can say is, I've really been missing out.

SoulUnison

Banned
God, yeah. Kingdom Hearts 2's intro is so ridiculously long, boring, and self-indulgent. It only gets fun/interesting during the Dive to the Heart segment and the very, very end before Sora wakes up.

I LOVE the Roxas in Twilight Town opening of KH2.

You gotta remember it came out when the last game in the series was Chain of Memories, people had basically no idea who Roxas actually was (we only even knew his name because of a leaked track list from the soundtrack,) and we'd been waiting to see where the hell all the plot threads left by the end of KHI and CoM were going to end up going.

I'd go as far as to say it's one of my favorite segments of the entire series.

A mysterious expositional sequence where you're learning things as Roxas does and wondering what the hell all the flashbacks and digital imagery are. It works just as well if you're playing 2 for the first time coming off 358/2, it just gives it a different flavor.

Verelios

I just got the game today. First thing I had to do was convert the camera. I wish it started as traditional and let inverted be an option, instead of the other way around. Started on FM Proud mode to get a rush!

Anyway, I played for about an hour today, and I've been having a blast. Wakka went down after two fights, where I gained two levels. Sephie and Tidus only took one fight each, since all I had to do was parry or wait, then attack.

Then I went to fight Riku. Dear god, was he always this brutal? It's not even his controls that are difficult, since I parry every other move, but that flip up! Argh! I kept on trying to either step out the way when the move came, or have my finger reflexively move to square. I remember him being hard when I first played KH but never this hard!

I went at him when I was level 2, I became level 4 by the time I won. We went 1-60. That isn't a joke, he actually beat me 60 times. This isn't a good sign of things to come.

rataven

Just started this tonight, and I'm finding I'm actually having more trouble with the camera than I remember. It is just not intuitive at all. Tried fiddling with the settings, but can't seem to find something comfortable. I'm sure I'll adjust soon, but yipes, this thing is awful.

And the other thing -- I'm gaming on a plasma, and since the HUD is so bright and bold, it's leaving behind major image retention during cut scenes. Annoying, though not necessarily the fault of the game. Just used to having customizable HUDs in more recent games.

It's not all bad though -- soundtrack is as memorable as I remember. Goosebumps everywhere once I reached Traverse Town. Best town theme ever. And I've missed Sora. Have always enjoyed HJO's voice work. Hope he can make it work for KHIII.

Is
Sephy
actually hard? I remember beating him when they game first came out but can't remember how the fight was.
Also I really hate the remix of Simple and Clean used in the beginning =\ So much worse than the original.

Felt so good playing through this game again. Now I'm onto synthesizing everything. Does anyone know where to get fury stones? That seems like something new to final mix if I'm correct?

Seda

Felt so good playing through this game again. Now I'm onto synthesizing everything. Does anyone know where to get fury stones? That seems like something new to final mix if I'm correct?

Gigant Shadows. Go to Queen's Garden in Wonderland and head into Bizarre room. If Shadows spawn, defeat 3 waves of them until the Gigant Shadows spawn. The trick to these guys is to not let them hit you, you need to defeat as many of them as possible for a chance at the drop, and if they hit you they disappear.

Gigant Shadows. Go to Queen's Garden in Wonderland and head into Bizarre room. If Shadows spawn, defeat 3 waves of them until the Gigant Shadows spawn. The trick to these guys is to not let them hit you, you need to defeat as many of them as possible for a chance at the drop, and if they hit you they disappear.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Weird that I couldn't find anything about it on any final mix faqs.

Top Bottom