• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Psxphile

So many misspellings in the KH1FM credits. Terrible.

Speedster run complete. Even on Beginner, not being able to change out your default equipment + guranteed low levels due to skipping stuff to get to the end quicker makes the post-difficulty spike battles wars of attrition. Almost felt like I was on Critical mode. The final Heartless swarm in EotW felt like it took a half-hour to play itself out. I got taken out a few times as a result.

Speedster run complete. Even on Beginner, not being able to change out your default equipment + guranteed low levels due to skipping stuff to get to the end quicker makes the post-difficulty spike battles wars of attrition. Almost felt like I was on Critical mode. The final Heartless swarm in EotW felt like it took a half-hour to play itself out. I got taken out a few times as a result.

What's annoying me about the Speedster/no-equip-change run is that it feels like enemies can deal very little damage to you, but you can barely hurt the enemies either. It's *super* unfun.

The weird thing is that I can kill higher-level enemies like Invisibles comparatively pretty easily, since they have lower defense than a lot of the stat-boosted post-Hollow-Bastion enemies.

Derrick01

Banned
How are you supposed to kill those rare balloon things on the ship's deck in neverland? They're so damn fast. I tried using Stopga but that works for about 2 seconds and while aeroga deflects the missiles it doesn't matter much since I can't catch up. They disappear after a while.

edit: Holy shit I got one and it dropped the item I needed. Lucky me.

Derrick01

Banned
That's actually the exact strategy: Aeroga + Stopga and whack.

Yeah I got him basically by plowing through his missiles since he stops to shoot them. I've had a lot more luck with those pink agaricus (?) things too, got 4 serenity powers earlier.

Pretty much the only rare heartless that I still struggle to get items out of are those sniper things. I do pretty well until the group of 3 spawn then I usually screw up and get spotted, mostly because of the bad camera keeping 1 of them out of my view.

CRS

Creep up on them and pick them off with Firaga. The alleyway to the Dalmations' entrance is a great hiding place if it gets out of control and you have a clear vision to all three from there too. I would also raise your MP so it doesn't take as many shots to kill them and gives them less time to call backup.

And if you see one that's about to spot you, shoot it with Firaga to interrupt it and go back to the weak Sniperwild.

Psxphile

I used the Star Trek offense when dealing with Pop'n'Fish: since it can only attack you in 2D I flew in from beneath to avoid the missile spam. Works good enough if you don't have Aeroga and Stopga (Aerora and Stopra weren't quite up to snuff). He's still difficult to catch up to, though. And you have to be careful not to end him over water.

I lost a lot of munny trying the direct approach.

I used the Star Trek offense when dealing with Pop'n'Fish: since it can only attack you in 2D I flew in from beneath to avoid the missile spam. Works good enough if you don't have Aeroga and Stopga (Aerora and Stopra weren't quite up to snuff). He's still difficult to catch up to, though. And you have to be careful not to end him over water.

I lost a lot of munny trying the direct approach.
You're a hero.

Agreed, I just finished my speedster default equipment run last week and it was pretty challenging near the end. Everything took so long to kill! Thought I was going to die several times against Ansem with those laser beams (if they hit you when aero isn't up they hurt a lot haha).

Started Proud mode now (last thing I have to do for plat, did 100% run on normal) and just sealed Deep Jungle. It definitely is more challenging but so far the bosses haven't been much of an issue. Only had to use one potion against Trickster in Wonderland, none for Deep Jungle. Getting cure again feels amazing haha. Cerberus is going to be next, I'm kind of expecting that to be more difficult. I couldn't even get to Cloud when I tried earlier (without using items at least) which made me just go to Deep Jungle instead.

From monitoring the thread and interwebz from the start it comes as no surprise most of the new players don't like Re:CoM. I think you really had to be there with the original CoM and know the history behind the remake that was made as just a cool packin with KH2FM. To appreciate the game. Otherwise the only question on your mind would probably be just "why?".

But I am actually surprised that it seems new players to the series really seem to enjoy KHFM. Like I'm the biggest fanboy of that game there is but it still obviously has some of the early PS2 roots showing. KH2 is the most modern game still in the series so I kinda feared if KH1 was also one of those "you had to be there" games but I guess the game really is too awesome to allow overlooking some things.

I guess Derrick hasnt tried CoM yet tho. Not expecting overwhelmingly positive reaction :lol.

2.5 will have way more people completing both games.

Aru

Finally started KHFM. I chose Proud Mode but I'm starting to regret it. The boss of Deep Jungle is fucking hard. Having no Cure spell hurts. I haven't beaten the Colosseum yet.

Although I still love the game, getting back into KH1 is not going quite smoothly after beating every single other game in the series. Especially BBS and 3D.

Derrick01

Banned
From monitoring the thread and interwebz from the start it comes as no surprise most of the new players don't like Re:CoM. I think you really had to be there with the original CoM and know the history behind the remake that was made as just a cool packin with KH2FM. To appreciate the game. Otherwise the only question on your mind would probably be just "why?".

But I am actually surprised that it seems new players to the series really seem to enjoy KHFM. Like I'm the biggest fanboy of that game there is but it still obviously has some of the early PS2 roots showing. KH2 is the most modern game still in the series so I kinda feared if KH1 was also one of those "you had to be there" games but I guess the game really is too awesome to allow overlooking some things.

I guess Derrick hasnt tried CoM yet tho. Not expecting overwhelmingly positive reaction :lol.

The card game? I'm willing to give it a shot at least. I wasn't very happy when I first found out it was a card game instead of an actual KH game though, even if I only bought this mostly for the first game again.

Got Speedster, Final Mix Beginner, and Unchanging Armor in one go yesterday. Clocked in about ~5 hours or so. I have to agree that the final parts of the game were challenging. I got annoyed in the room before the Final Rest (Angels were really frustrating to deal with). Ansem was tough too; Aero and Second Chance saved my life most of the time.

All that's left now is Final Mix Proud and the platinum trophy will be mine at last!

Noi

It'd also help if SE wises up on those dumb difficulty trophies not stocking. You have to be committed to want to beat CoM six times to get the plat for it, starting from "scratch" each time. I like CoM and I dread doing that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Back in april I finished this on standard then did my speed/armor/undying/beginner trophy run. Today I picked it up again to do my proud run. Shield/sword. I gotta say the difficulty has been kind of all over the place. I beat most of the bosses so far, including Trickmaster and Cerberus, on my first try. Stealth Sneak gave me a bit of trouble, mostly because of Clayton's random rifle shots picking me off. Strangely enough the hardest thing I've fought so far was the freaking pot centipede. I seemed to get picked off by some offscreen pot every time. Soooo frustrating :p

I'm seriously dreading Ursula..

It'd also help if SE wises up on those dumb difficulty trophies not stocking. You have to be committed to want to beat CoM six times to get the plat for it, starting from "scratch" each time. I like CoM and I dread doing that.

Well technically it's 3 times. I hate when people say 6 since one playtrough of CoM means Sora+Riku ;).

Psxphile

Eh, we both know that, but that's a technicality. :|

I can understand that, since you're technically starting from scratch with each hero every time so it feels like two playthroughs instead of just one. And BBS is 3 playthroughs unless we count it like CoM then its 1 playthrough but from multiple angles. Same with DDD. Where does it end? :p

I feel the reason Square-Enix choose to not stack difficulty trophies is because they WANT players to experience first-hand how the game differs between difficulties, instead of just hitting the "hard" mode and nabbing everything below it. I mean, hey: someone over there worked hard to balance Beginner just right so it's a complete cakewalk. Would be a shame to have it go ignored by the gamer elite.

So, uh... what exactly is the difference between the difficulties in Re:CoM? I don't think I've ever seen mention of the minute details between Beginner, Standard and Proud. Just lower/higher numbered attack cards from enemies? Less/more experience to level up? CP cost changes?

Noi

I can understand that, since you're technically starting from scratch with each hero every time so it feels like two playthroughs instead of just one. And BBS is 3 playthroughs unless we count it like CoM then its 1 playthrough but from multiple angles. Same with DDD. Where does it end? :p

I wouldn't mind if Reverse/Rebirth was a minor thing, but you essentially have to go through the whole 12 floor gamut, room and bosses and all, so it's pretty much a whole separate playthrough. At least BBS gives you the option of choosing who you want to play as from the start AND is significantly shorter for individual characters than a single CoM run. :v

Fuck DDD though, I didn't like that implementation at all.

Christopher

Got Speedster, Final Mix Beginner, and Unchanging Armor in one go yesterday. Clocked in about ~5 hours or so. I have to agree that the final parts of the game were challenging. I got annoyed in the room before the Final Rest (Angels were really frustrating to deal with). Ansem was tough too; Aero and Second Chance saved my life most of the time.

All that's left now is Final Mix Proud and the platinum trophy will be mine at last!

Nice!

I need to be at a higher level I think ansem I can't down at Lev 52 and only kingdom key

rataven

Whew! Finally finished all of the grindy trophies. Farming wasn't nearly as a bad as I'd expected going in. Sniperwilds were awful, but not overly frustrating, since I believe their rare drop is guaranteed for each batch you beat. My only real trouble came with Pink Agaricus' because they would not reliably drop serenity powers. I'd wail on them for around 60 hits or so, and get the drop maybe 50% of the time.

And I reached level 100 with Sora this morning. All I have left are the final two Colosseum battles and the last boss, but that should be a cake walk.

Really had a ton of fun revisiting this game. So, so excited for 2.5.

rataven

Welp. I finished just about everything there is to do in this game (see above).

So of course this finally arrives.

5ScTKcLl.jpg

Keeping it anyway because I didn't really buy it for strategy, but still. Pretty cover though!

Psxphile

^ Neat. Also reminds me that someone asked about the contents of that book before:

Has anybody had chance to read through the Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX hardback guide from Prima Games yet?
If so, how does it compare to the PiggyBack guide released for Kingdom Hearts 1 on the PS2? Does it have things like character renders and information, and pictures and information on all the Heartless and that sort of stuff?

quoting because i'm kinda interested too

So with this being one of Amazon's lightning deals yesterday @ $28, I decided to double-dip and pick up the US version. It should be here tomorrow or Friday, so it looks like I have a pretty fun weekend ahead of me.

When I played through the JP version, Critical seemed really unbalanced early-game. I know there's no difference between the two versions, but hopefully it's not as frustrating this time around.

rataven

^ Neat. Also reminds me that someone asked about the contents of that book before:

quoting because i'm kinda interested too

Honestly, now that I've had some time to look through the guide, I can pretty confidently say that it's not worth the money. The page layouts waste a lot of space, there's hardly any art, and the font is really small. It's just not organized well at all. The old Bradygames guide was much better.

I'm SUPER disappointed because I love a well-made guide, but I don't think this is one of them sadly.

Honestly, now that I've had some time to look through the guide, I can pretty confidently say that it's not worth the money. The page layouts waste a lot of space, there's hardly any art, and the font is really small. It's just not organized well at all. The old Bradygames guide was much better.

I'm SUPER disappointed because I love a well-made guide, but I don't think this is one of them sadly.

Ah, that's disappointing.
There are reviews up on Amazon UK now saying that the guide doesn't feature much (any?) information about FM's synthesis changes.

Psxphile

^ Kingdom Triad? Wait, Flick Rush in DDD kinda counts, doesn't it? If they bring back either Traverse Town, Twilight Town or Radiant Garden in KH3 I can see either one of them holding some kind of card tournament you can participate in with cards you find in chests/dropped from defeated enemies.

Finally finished the last Gummi ship mission and got my blueprint trophy. What a slog. Fuck off, Dale... I'm never doing that again.

aravuus

Dear god triple triad style card game in KH3 would be awesome, with proper prizes of course. Item refining or something. FF IX's card game was boring cause you didn't really get anything out of it.

what a joy it is to play this through on proud mode. i fucking love this game.

just the right difficulty for me, the 2nd ursula fight was absolutely infuriating but sooo satisfying when she finally went down. i went to atlantica really early as well so was getting destroyed on the reg.

they don't make 'em like this any more.

Finalow

I'm so happy I don't really care much about Platinuming this game because holy *fuck* the gummi missions look spectacularly unfun.
grinding all those materials in order to synthesize all the items is worse, trust me.
I'm just going to do the last optional boss. platinum ain't worth it.

Psxphile

I'm so happy I don't really care much about Platinuming this game because holy *fuck* the gummi missions look spectacularly unfun.

Though I never would have bothered to learn how Transform, Esuna and Drain/Osmose gummis work if the missions didn't require the player to learn the nuances of the ship-building system. I was happy enough to stick guns on a ship and call it a day. But it's still pretty infuriating to try to complete certain missions, sure that you're doing it right and realize you still come up short as you see the target world come into view.

xjGvUGg.gif

So... as a "mage"/"staff" Sora, I'm not sure how I should be gearing myself (as this is the first time I've ever played as a "staff" Sora - usually, I'm "sword").

Basically... I'm really conflicted on my gear choices right now. That one ground attack ("Ripple" or something) scales with how much max MP you have and is really great... so to get the most damage out of that finisher, I should equip more MP gear/weapons. But at the same time, aerial stuff is based solely off weapon damage (afaik). So I could equip Lady Luck which is 34 damage, +2MP and "significantly improves magic" or I could equip Divine Rose which is 40 damage. A lot of the enemies at this point in the game are flying (Hallow Bastion), so I don't even get to really use the ground combo all that often. Obviously, I should get more MP when I can - can never have enough. But on the other hand, should I balance out weapon damage as well? I don't have the Ultima Weapon yet, but it's on my "to do" list.

Any help would be appreciated because while I've replayed KH a ton, I never did the "staff" Sora, lol. Thanks. :)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
What a cluster mess Ursula's fight is. I felt like I couldn't control where Sora goes. So many times I wanted to slip behind her head so I can attack her neck area... only to be flung all the way away from her for no reason. Thank goodness I finished that fight.

Psxphile

Got KH DDD for like 20 dollars two weeks ago and I'm done with it.

It's a good Kingdom Hearts game, not as good as BBS like at all but it's good enough. Enjoyed playing as Riku a lot more than Sora, Sora felt kind of boring. The worlds felt kind of empty but not as much as BBS' worlds. My favourite Disney world was Las Cites des Cloches and The World That Never Was is my favourite world. The Command Deck was really boring, you couldn't mix commands or level them up. Also they way in which you got Abilities is the worst system in KH imo.

The story was ok, it got pretty messy but I think I got the gist of it.

I think the KH community thread would have been a better fit for this post than this one.

So... as a "mage"/"staff" Sora, I'm not sure how I should be gearing myself (as this is the first time I've ever played as a "staff" Sora - usually, I'm "sword").

Basically... I'm really conflicted on my gear choices right now. That one ground attack ("Ripple" or something) scales with how much max MP you have and is really great... so to get the most damage out of that finisher, I should equip more MP gear/weapons. But at the same time, aerial stuff is based solely off weapon damage (afaik). So I could equip Lady Luck which is 34 damage, +2MP and "significantly improves magic" or I could equip Divine Rose which is 40 damage. A lot of the enemies at this point in the game are flying (Hallow Bastion), so I don't even get to really use the ground combo all that often. Obviously, I should get more MP when I can - can never have enough. But on the other hand, should I balance out weapon damage as well? I don't have the Ultima Weapon yet, but it's on my "to do" list.

Any help would be appreciated because while I've replayed KH a ton, I never did the "staff" Sora, lol. Thanks. :)
You don't need to worry about weapon damage in HB. Try to raise your MP as much as you can and deal with the enemies using Gravity, Stop and Thunder.

grinding all those materials in order to synthesize all the items is worse, trust me.
I'm just going to do the last optional boss. platinum ain't worth it.

I did all of the Synthesis because that has actual in-game rewards for Sora, like his best weapon.

The Gummi stuff is weird because it has precisely no repercussions as far as anything actually in the main game is concerned. It's so self-contained and boring. If the Gummi enemies occasionally dropped synthesis materials or AP/Def/Atk Ups or SOMETHING that Sora could actually use, I'd be willing to look into playing it. But there's no incentive to do it since it in no way makes Sora/Donald/Goofy stronger.

You don't need to worry about weapon damage in HB. Try to raise your MP as much as you can and deal with the enemies using Gravity, Stop and Thunder.

Oh okay, thanks for the tips. :) Like I said, this is my first time playing as "Staff" Sora, so... Not sure the best methods of attacking. xD

----

Also, what is the best way to spawn/respawn the special/rare heartless in each world? Should I leave the world and re-enter? Kill the regular enemies (if they spawn) and zone 2 screens away and come back? Thanks for any help. :3

Step

Oh okay, thanks for the tips. :) Like I said, this is my first time playing as "Staff" Sora, so... Not sure the best methods of attacking. xD

----

Also, what is the best way to spawn/respawn the special/rare heartless in each world? Should I leave the world and re-enter? Kill the regular enemies (if they spawn) and zone 2 screens away and come back? Thanks for any help. :3

Encounter up and you have to do:

Map with rare heartless - Another map - Another Map - Map with rare heartless - repeat -

if they didn't spawn when you did the 2 screens then leave and enter again, you don't need to kill the normal heartless.

Also if you aren't feeling staff as your choice I don't think it is worth it(same happened with me), if your main dmg input is your keyblade the lack of slapshot/slide dash/counterattack and blitz hurts really bad, chose what fits your playstyle sure you won't have aoe finishers but still your keyblade attacks will be so strong and fast you don't really need them and they don't work on bosses either, also stun impact not worth as a sword user, why stun when you can just obliterated with a blitz. Olympia+counter attack vs
Riku II
is such a easy ride you can pretty much spam x to awesome

Top Bottom