• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

zeemumu

I played KH2 before I played Chain of Memories. I remember attempting to make sense of the opening and failing spectacularly.

It can certainly change the tone of KH2's intro from
"who the fuck is this kid and where's Sora?"
to
"Roxas so sad whyyyy ;_;"
or even
"I had to see you being annoying for 2 and a half hours, and now I have to PLAY as you?"
depending on your opinion of Days and him.

zeemumu

It can certainly change the tone of KH2's intro from
"who the fuck is this kid and where's Sora?"
to
"Roxas so sad whyyyy ;_;"
or even
"I had to see you being annoying for 2 and a half hours, and now I have to PLAY as you?"
depending on your opinion of Days and him.

It makes the seven day tutorial of KH2 seem that much more boring knowing what abilities Roxas is capable of beforehand. You were
dual-wielding keyblades running through the world that never was
at the end of Days and now you have to use a weird balloon sword for the majority of the tutorial. Plus the whole "who am I, why am I in this town, who's that dude with the red hair, and what are those white things?" mystery kind of goes out the window.

aravuus

I kept replaying KH1 and KH2 for a couple of years before I realized there even were spinoffs or that they had anything to do with the story.

Derrick01

Banned
Is there really no better way to get some of these rare items? I did fury stones last night (not so bad) but now I'm looking at a guide for how to get serenity power and it seems pretty goddamn ridiculous. Like way beyond my tolerance for this kind of stuff even though I really want the trophies. Grinding by itself is bad enough but this is like you needing 6 things to happen at once that all have a 10% chance of happening individually...for a 5% chance of what you need to drop.

Is there really no better way to get some of these rare items? I did fury stones last night (not so bad) but now I'm looking at a guide for how to get serenity power and it seems pretty goddamn ridiculous. Like way beyond my tolerance for this kind of stuff even though I really want the trophies. Grinding by itself is bad enough but this is like you needing 6 things to happen at once that all have a 10% chance of happening individually...for a 5% chance of what you need to drop.

Serenity Power wasn't bad at all for me. How are you doing it? The best way is to equip all MP items and keyblade since it increases stop time. Cast Aeroga on yourself, aim at the HEAD of Pink Agaricus and then use stop. Now use Ragnarok and try to time the laser blast at the end just right for maximum amount of projectiles. Then just do normal air combo and Ragnarok again.

edit: with some trickery it's also possible to have 100% drop chance of Serenity Power even in 1.5 IIRC. I managed to do enough hits (like 60+/70+ iirc) without fuckin with the game to keep Donald and Goofy out so that is 3x10% chance and 1x20% chance of dropping SP and I got it pretty much every time. Lucky me.

For Pink Agaricus, I found it way more time efficient to use Atlantica, contrarily to what most guides say. Essentially because the 3 white mushrooms are all very close so you don't lose any time going after them.

With a lot of max MP, which determines how long stop lasts, I got around 60 hits with just aeroga and hitting it. That meant worse odds than the jungle/Ragnarok method but for the time one jungle try, I could probably do 4-5 tries in Atlantica.

Psxphile

Now, unless I misunderstood something way back when, it turns out that skipping some worlds in KH1FM isn't an option. Sure, you can go around them and do some worlds before others, but many of them actually have to be completed just to be able to progress to the next world. The only ones not affected by this is Olympus Coliseum and Monstro (and 100 Acre Woods, I guess). I was a bit confused, because I thought I would be able to ignore Atlantica completely but NOPE, the game required me to finish it in order to make Neverland appear.

On the road to Hollow Bastion on my speedrun. A little over 7 hours on the clock. Should be doable, I guess. Even though I've only got the Kingdom Key to rely on I've been able to blow past most of the Heartless and bosses with ease. The glory of #TeamSword will not be denied (for speedruns, anyway).

Now, unless I misunderstood something way back when, it turns out that skipping some worlds in KH1FM isn't an option. Sure, you can go around them and do some worlds before others, but many of them actually have to be completed just to be able to progress to the next world. The only ones not affected by this is Olympus Coliseum and Monstro (and 100 Acre Woods, I guess). I was a bit confused, because I thought I would be able to ignore Atlantica completely but NOPE, the game required me to finish it in order to make Neverland appear.

On the road to Hollow Bastion on my speedrun. A little over 7 hours on the clock. Should be doable, I guess. Even though I've only got the Kingdom Key to rely on I've been able to blow past most of the Heartless and bosses with ease. The glory of #TeamSword will not be denied (for speedruns, anyway).

I did skip atlantica on my speedrun playtrough. I'm pretty sure tho that if you do that you need to have visited Olympus Coliseum (not completed). Maybe completed Monstro too, I did that. I'm not 100% sure how the thing works.
About how long does the last world and all the bosses take on normal?
Little over an hour maybe.

Seda

How many hits does that net? If it is over 70 might as well have done that tho the Ragnarok timing is like a second nature for me.

I think it was like 60-70, I never tried the Ragnarok thing - didn't want to bother with aiming. Cast Aeroga and mash button yo.

Noi

You deserve a beer. I thought about doing it on my proud run, but decided to wimp out and do it during my beginner run instead.
Did you build your own ship, to base it off one of the blueprints?

I built my own ship. At first I started doing coherent designs that actually resembled spaces, but as I had to repeat Atlantica 2 and 3 and make modifications over and over again I just settled for walls of death.

10352538603_05c70e32e3_z.jpg

The names reflect my mental state at the time.

You have to beat two out of either Monstro, Halloween Town and Atlantica in order for Neverland to appear. Sounds like you should have just went back to Monstro if you really wanted to avoid Atlantica.

Noi

Yeah, you just need to beat Monstro and Halloween Town to skip Atlantica. I'm about to finish the speed run without setting foot (fin?) there at all.

15 hours is actually a pretty generous amount of time. I'm at End of the World, did all the Tournaments except for Hades and wasted some time early on going back and forth with the gummi ship and I'm still 7 hours.

Some very creative names there Noi.

They match the things I uttered during the respective missions I used them on.

Edit: Speedrun finished on Final Mix. Just need to beat Beginner without Continuing and that Plat is mine.

So is Chain of Memories worth playing? I just did finish KH1 and started COM and I am just not feeling the Card System. Should I just find a plot summary or the cutscenes online or should I play it?

Finally beat Reverse/Rebirth last night. I'm so burned out by Re:CoM now. Don't think I'll shoot for the platinum anytime soon, but I might go back for some miscellaneous trophies. Now to watch the rest of Days and shoot for the Final Mix platinum. Can't wait for 2.5 HD ReMIX!

Derrick01

Banned
Serenity Power wasn't bad at all for me. How are you doing it? The best way is to equip all MP items and keyblade since it increases stop time. Cast Aeroga on yourself, aim at the HEAD of Pink Agaricus and then use stop. Now use Ragnarok and try to time the laser blast at the end just right for maximum amount of projectiles. Then just do normal air combo and Ragnarok again.

edit: with some trickery it's also possible to have 100% drop chance of Serenity Power even in 1.5 IIRC. I managed to do enough hits (like 60+/70+ iirc) without fuckin with the game to keep Donald and Goofy out so that is 3x10% chance and 1x20% chance of dropping SP and I got it pretty much every time. Lucky me.

So you're saying leave goofy and donald at the save point and try it? Honestly it's annoying enough getting them to spawn and then getting it to work since I'm not specced for magic. I have 1 accessory that can boost sora's MP to about 10 or 11 I think but that's it.

So you're saying leave goofy and donald at the save point and try it? Honestly it's annoying enough getting them to spawn and then getting it to work since I'm not specced for magic. I have 1 accessory that can boost sora's MP to about 10 or 11 I think but that's it.

You can't leave them at the savepoint, you need to trick the game so they can't attack the mushroom (pressing triangle orders them to attack so that is only problem with 1.5 since it uses triangle to perform Ragnarok/Arcanum. Donald and Goofy attacking cause negative points to the hit count for whatever stupid reason.

You should still be able to get really high amount of hits if you trick D+G. Here are a few videos of how to trick them(read the description)+how to get high hit count. You have 10% chance of Serenity Power dropping at 40, 50 and 60 hits, 20% chance at 70, 80 and 90 hits and 100% chance if you get 100 hits.

I'm actually not 100% sure if the stop time increases with MP for Pink Agaricus like it does for normal enemies or if it is fixed.

edit: Also the best way to get them to spawn is to after it spawning go away 2 rooms from the treehouse before coming back to try spawning it running between treehouse and the room next to it. Encounter up doesn't help.

Derrick01

Banned
You can't leave them at the savepoint, you need to trick the game so they can't attack the mushroom (pressing triangle orders them to attack so that is only problem with 1.5 since it uses triangle to perform Ragnarok/Arcanum. Donald and Goofy attacking cause negative points to the hit count for whatever stupid reason.

You should still be able to get really high amount of hits if you trick D+G. Here are a few videos of how to trick them(read the description)+how to get high hit count. You have 10% chance of Serenity Power dropping at 40, 50 and 60 hits, 20% chance at 70, 80 and 90 hits and 100% chance if you get 100 hits.

I'm actually not 100% sure if the stop time increases with MP for Pink Agaricus like it does for normal enemies or if it is fixed.

edit: Also the best way to get them to spawn is to after it spawning go away 2 rooms from the treehouse before coming back to try spawning it running between treehouse and the room next to it. Encounter up doesn't help.

That's just...so much work to make sure you even have a legit chance at getting the item, and even then it's only 10-20%. I think I'm just going to write the platinum off in this game.

abrack08

Welp, I was poor when this game came out, but recently got a raise (and my girlfriend got a new job as well). So today, I decided it was about time to splurge a bit. Just got home with:

Thankfully Target still had the limited edition. I've actually played DDD before, but traded it in after a few hours because I wasn't feeling it. But when this game came out, I was re-struck with KH fever, so I'm giving it another go.

EDIT: Wait, the limited edition doesn't come with the KH theme? Was it a preorder bonus? I was looking forward to that.

Noi

yaaaaaaaaaaay. That's KHFM down.

I'll probably take a break to play something else, but I want to give CoM a shot soo-

...6 playthroughs for the plat? arghhhhh, SE better not do this "difficulty trophies don't stack" nonsense again in 2.5

Edit: You guys are making Pink Agaricus farming sound way harder than it is. Just set the AI to low frequency on everything (which pretty much makes them not attack at all) except for Goofy's support actions so he uses MP Gift, cast Aeroga on yourself, Stopga on the head and Ragnarok away while smacking it with the keyblade while the beams hit. I never ever got to 100 hits, but just reaching 50+ gives you a good enough chance to get Sererity Powers. And jumping down/going through the tunnels is totally painless cause no enemies spawn along the way and you get a save point to recover all the MP spent.

You won't get one with every attempt, but it's way less stressful than trying to go for 100 hits every time.

Derrick01

Banned
Do the white mushrooms at the end of the world still spawn right by the final save point? I've been trying to get them to spawn for over 30 minutes now and haven't seen them once. I need to farm Gravity spells on them for a Lucid gem or mystery goos.

Do the white mushrooms at the end of the world still spawn right by the final save point? I've been trying to get them to spawn for over 30 minutes now and haven't seen them once. I need to farm Gravity spells on them for a Lucid gem or mystery goos.

The ones in Agrabah (IIRC, but I might be wrong and it could be Neverland) also like Gravity. The ones at the End of the World are actually terrible to use because they go for every single spell.

The ones in Wonderland only go for the three elemental spells; the ones at the End of the World go for every single spell. The ones in the assorted other worlds, though, go for the three elemental spells plus one other non-elemental spell (Cure, Stop, Gravity, or Aero). You should find out where the mushrooms are that want the specific spell you're going for and find them in that particular world.

Derrick01

Banned
The ones in Agrabah (IIRC, but I might be wrong and it could be Neverland) also like Gravity. The ones at the End of the World are actually terrible to use because they go for every single spell.

The ones in Wonderland only go for the three elemental spells; the ones at the End of the World go for every single spell. The ones in the assorted other worlds, though, go for the three elemental spells plus one other non-elemental spell (Cure, Stop, Gravity, or Aero). You should find out where the mushrooms are that want the specific spell you're going for and find them in that particular world.

Agrabah was a good suggestion as it's working out much nicer for me there. Got what I needed and several Mystery Goos so I know that's a good spot to farm those later. I'm mostly farming elemental stones now just to see how much I can make before I have to get those items from those pink agaricus things in Tarzan's world. I really struggle to get more than 40-50 hits on those.

Edit: Oh man Kurt Zisa went down fast, I guess being level 85 kinda helped there. I tried to fight sephiroth before that and only got a bar or two down before he destroyed me.

Finalow

For the pink mushroom I just used the treehouse spawn, cast Aeroga, and spammed Ars Arcanium.
wait, is this better (as in you get more hits) than doing normal combos + aeroga? Since I can only make him drop one serenity power when I'm lucky.

anyway I'm almost done with the optinal bosses, the only one left is the hardest (or the longest),
sephiroth
to be honest when you learn to fight them they ain't even hard, with
Ice Titan
I had no idea how to dodge that last freezing attack and with Unknown I had no idea that you just have to spam buttons in order to get RELEASE. (died by that fucking move like 3 times since I was trying to wait for the release to get into the right position, besides this the boss is pretty easy with tinker op bell)

wait, is this better (as in you get more hits) than doing normal combos + aeroga? Since I can only make him drop one serenity power when I'm lucky
By far. If you cast 3 Ragnaroks with an air combo in-between each one, it's possible to get 60+ hits easily, and 100 if you're on PS2 or glitch D&G out of the battle.

So, after playing the Wolf Among Us and enjoying the many characters from Fables, I have decided to finally jump into KH.

I don't know what to expect though. If it's of any measure, I am a huge, huge, huge fan of Dark Cloud 2. I love it so much and yearn for a game with the same magic in its music, atmosphere, story, and setting.

I know KH isn't the same, but it definitely looks to have that JRPG magic. There's so many JRPGs from last gen I didn't get to play, may as well start here.

It wasn't too clear in the OP, but I'm guessing the Final Remix IS KH1, just with the additional content?

If I get 1.5, and then 2.5 will I have everything covered for the main story in order to prepare for KH3?

Also, not that it would turn me off, but is the story mature? Dark Cloud 2 isn't the best example, but it did have an endearing story that I liked.

Starting on Proud, what's the best option for theweapons and sacrafice?

Sword and give up Shield is best way to go. Just be good at dodging and you will kill Bosses easily enough.

To put into perspective.

Sword = 1v1 aka good vs tough heartless and bosses

Staff = AOE and good vs multiple weak Heartless and for a magic user.

Shield = More defense and survival oriented and support for farming materials.

CrazyDude

So, after playing the Wolf Among Us and enjoying the many characters from Fables, I have decided to finally jump into KH.

I don't know what to expect though. If it's of any measure, I am a huge, huge, huge fan of Dark Cloud 2. I love it so much and yearn for a game with the same magic in its music, atmosphere, story, and setting.

I know KH isn't the same, but it definitely looks to have that JRPG magic. There's so many JRPGs from last gen I didn't get to play, may as well start here.

It wasn't too clear in the OP, but I'm guessing the Final Remix IS KH1, just with the additional content?

If I get 1.5, and then 2.5 will I have everything covered for the main story in order to prepare for KH3?

Also, not that it would turn me off, but is the story mature? Dark Cloud 2 isn't the best example, but it did have an endearing story that I liked.

The 3DS game is the only one you would need.

The 3DS game is the only one you would need.

Uh, not really. Yes, it has cursory summaries of all of the earlier games, but it's not really sufficient in any sense.

Also, if he only plays that he'll think that the games in the series are shitty half-complete messes, which is only true of DDD and pre-Final Mix KH2.

Uh, not really. Yes, it has cursory summaries of all of the earlier games, but it's not really sufficient in any sense.

Also, if he only plays that he'll think that the games in the series are shitty half-complete messes, which is only true of DDD and pre-Final Mix KH2.

Context: he was talking about playing 1.5 and 2.5. I don't think anyone's recommending only playing the 3DS game, that would be a terrible idea.

Just beat Hades cup at level 58. Tried Ice Titan but got smoked at level 61. I suck at deflecting those ice pieces back at him.

Need to switch to better attacking keyblade/equipment next time around i think too. No use on the magic boost from Lady Luck, etc... /TeamStaff

CrazyDude

I mean only one he would need to get that is not included in 1.5 and 2.5.

Top Bottom