• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/famitsu-...g-new-developments-ushiro#P6M7wovLhKmb3SWy.99

tumblr_m7zrensda81rsy50k.gif

That's good. Presumably they just mean the ReMix credits and the Re:Coded business, as those are the only things I can think of that would require new scene direction and production.

Presumably they got the work done on camera/controls and on tutorial text (e.g. telling you which buttons to use) and HDifying the HUD long ago.

I wonder how progress is proceeding on improved textures and on the Mirage Arena conversion business, though. Apart from those things, it should just be optimization from here until the end of development, I think?

Also, we've been told "soon" on KH 2.5 news and "E3" on KH3 news. Given that people are usually *reasonably* disciplined about the PR line for these things, can we take it that we'll hear about KH 2.5 sometime well before E3?

sasuke_91

I finally finished Kingdom Hearts 3D! I don't find it as confusing as before, but there are still a lot of questions that I hope will be solved by playing Birth by Sleep.
The game was very nice. The drop system felt a little off sometimes, especially when you have to repeat a bossfight because your time ran out. The game was also very hard (played on Proud Mode) and the amount of bosses surprised me a bit, especially since Riku's bossfights were so much harder^^
I can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 3. I didn't know the story still had so much to offer. The thing with the 7 lights and 13 darknesses is pretty intetesting.

One thing bothers me though:
Axel having a keyblade? I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke, but we already got our 7 keyblade-wielders. Kairi being one of them... well, I don't know :p

I finally finished Kingdom Hearts 3D! I don't find it as confusing as before, but there are still a lot of questions that I hope will be solved by playing Birth by Sleep.
The game was very nice. The drop system felt a little off sometimes, especially when you have to repeat a bossfight because your time ran out. The game was also very hard (played on Proud Mode) and the amount of bosses surprised me a bit, especially since Riku's bossfights were so much harder^^
I can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 3. I didn't know the story still had so much to offer. The thing with the 7 lights and 13 darknesses is pretty intetesting.

Axel having a keyblade? I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke, but we already got our 7 keyblade-wielders. Kairi being one of them... well, I don't know :p
Playing DDD before BBS would be pretty weird. Not horrible, but certainly a lot of the endgame infodump would be only half-comprehensible (as would the interstitial cutscenes that appear whenever both Sora and Riku have finished a world).

sasuke_91

Playing DDD before BBS would be pretty weird. Not horrible, but certainly a lot of the endgame infodump would be only half-comprehensible (as would the interstitial cutscenes that appear whenever both Sora and Riku have finished a world).

I know a bit about BBS' story, but I don't have a PSP, so I have to wait for KH 2.5 (just tell us when it's going to be released T^T).

The BBS summary that appears in DDD is pretty good, though - make sure you read through that stuff (DDD doesn't have any kind of Secret Reports or anything like that, but its summaries of previous games are good at covering like 95% of what you need to remember).

Malyse

*Lea

One more time:

As a side note, we've never had it confirmed that the seven lights have to be keyblade wielders. I think the confusion is a line from 3D from Mickey.
Seven guardians of light? Well, for Keyblade wielders, there's me and Riku and Sora. And my three missing friends, that's six. Then the seventh would be...
That doesn't necessarily mean that the guardians have to be keyblade wielders, only that it's more likely. Plus, if they aren't, finding the other lights would be a great plot contrivance to justify visiting the Disney worlds.

MX basically said that who the seven lights are isn't strictly important so much as that they *are* seven lights, I think (or was it that Master Yen Sid mentioned it?).

If they don't assemble seven lights to clash with him, he can just go after the seven Princesses of Heart again, because they are also a totally valid set of seven lights.

So, in effect, they're clearly not a predetermined seven people. It's the job of the good guys to find and assemble seven people who *are* light-aligned.

The odds are good that it'll be Keyblade wielders, of course - that seems like the clear direction for KH3 for a number of reasons - but DreamDrop's point, as I take it, is that it doesn't HAVE to be Keyblade wielders.

It can be light-aligned Keyblade wielders, it can be Princesses of Heart, and there's nothing stating that it can't be someone who doesn't fall into either of those categories either. But I do disagree with DreamDrop on one hypothetical point he raised - I don't think it's a predetermined group of people, so I doubt they'll need to be hunting down specific folks in the Disney worlds.

Malyse

Yeah, you're right :p

It was indeed Micky who confused me. Thanks for clarification^^

I spend a lot of time thinking about Kingdom Hearts.

But I do disagree with DreamDrop on one hypothetical point he raised - I don't think it's a predetermined group of people, so I doubt they'll need to be hunting down specific folks in the Disney worlds.

I don't either. I think that they will need to be searching for and assembling the seven lights in KH3 and that's going to be the plot macguffin to send us to all the worlds in that game.

zeemumu

MX basically said that who the seven lights are isn't strictly important so much as that they *are* seven lights, I think (or was it that Master Yen Sid mentioned it?).

If they don't assemble seven lights to clash with him, he can just go after the seven Princesses of Heart again, because they are also a totally valid set of seven lights.

So, in effect, they're clearly not a predetermined seven people. It's the job of the good guys to find and assemble seven people who *are* light-aligned.

The odds are good that it'll be Keyblade wielders, of course - that seems like the clear direction for KH3 for a number of reasons - but DreamDrop's point, as I take it, is that it doesn't HAVE to be Keyblade wielders.

It can be light-aligned Keyblade wielders, it can be Princesses of Heart, and there's nothing stating that it can't be someone who doesn't fall into either of those categories either. But I do disagree with DreamDrop on one hypothetical point he raised - I don't think it's a predetermined group of people, so I doubt they'll need to be hunting down specific folks in the Disney worlds.

Why don't they assemble 8 or focus attention on one or two darkness? He can't do anything if he's missing one of either set.

Why don't they assemble 8 or focus attention on one or two darkness? He can't do anything if he's missing one of either set.

Because narrative problem-solving isn't the same as actual logical problem-solving. (And, frankly, because Sora ain't that clever.)

I know a bit about BBS' story, but I don't have a PSP, so I have to wait for KH 2.5 (just tell us when it's going to be released T^T).

How much have you been spoiled of the BBS story? Personally, it is my favorite of the series, and it'd suck to have the story spoiled (as it's also my favorite in that department as well). I'm so excited to finally get BBS in HD. The only thing is I'm not sure how well those smaller levels/worlds will transfer on the big screen/HD. It looked fantastic as a PSP game, but.. we'll see. xD

And yeah playing DDD before BBS might have been a bit odd.

zeemumu

Weren't Ansem SoD and Xemnas on two of the thirteen thrones, on either side of Master Xehanort? I'd call that as clear an indication as any.

Yep. Master Xehanort, Saix, Xigbar, Ansem SoD, and Xemnas are 5 members, and Sora would have been a 6th so they have one vacant space, and there are 7 unknown members. I'm guessing one of the other missing organization members are among them.

sasuke_91

How much have you been spoiled of the BBS story? Personally, it is my favorite of the series, and it'd suck to have the story spoiled (as it's also my favorite in that department as well). I'm so excited to finally get BBS in HD. The only thing is I'm not sure how well those smaller levels/worlds will transfer on the big screen/HD. It looked fantastic as a PSP game, but.. we'll see. xD

And yeah playing DDD before BBS might have been a bit odd.

It's not that much, actually. The story focuses a lot on Aqua, doesn't it? She looks like a very nice character. Terra reminds me a bit of Riku.
I know that the three protagonists take the exam to become keyblade masters. If I'm not mistaken, the X(Chi)-Blade is also somehow being created at this time. I don't know any details though. It's really just the basic story elements that one could also read on wikipedia.
I really want to have this game for my PS3. There are so many people who love this game and it gets so much positive feedback, it HAS to be great :D

zeemumu

It's not that much, actually. The story focuses a lot on Aqua, doesn't it? She looks like a very nice character. Terra reminds me a bit of Riku.
I know that the three protagonists take the exam to become keyblade masters. If I'm not mistaken, the X(Chi)-Blade is also somehow being created at this time. I don't know any details though. It's really just the basic story elements that one could also read on wikipedia.
I really want to have this game for my PS3. There are so many people who love this game and it gets so much positive feedback, it HAS to be great :D

The story is balanced evenly between the 3 characters until you get closer to the end, then it starts to focus on Aqua (who I actually consider to be a little bland compared to the other two, but still likeable). Each of them has connections to different aspects of the series (characters, locations, and overall plot). You should play the game anyway to find out who connects to what. DDD doesn't really spoil anything plotwise for BBS, it just helps to play BBS first to understand WHY Xehanort wants to create the X-Blade in that way. Although if you played through DDD completely I guess it would spoil
Venn's location and the fact that he's still alive.

I think BBS will answer at least 3 questions that you have about DDD.

Ah, I gotcha, that's not too bad then. Personally, Aqua is one of my favorite KH characters - she's awesome and fun to play as. There's three different "campaigns" and then a "final act" sort of thing after you beat all 3 completely. It's recommended to do Aqua's story last because of various spoilers and how it ties into the final act. You can play as either Terra or Ventus first.. I'm not sure it matters too much. I've seen people say to play as Ventus first because of certain story implications, but then Nomura himself said to play Terra, then Ventus, then Aqua. Either way is probably fine.

One thing I think BBS does well is how each character feels very different when you control them. It would have been so easy for them to just have a skin swap on each character with the same skills, but it's not done like that all. Ventus is not quite as strong physically as Terra, but he is really fast (He's probably my favorite to control). Terra is slower and more of a tank-y character. Aqua is decently fast and a magic user. Terra is probably my least favorite to play as simply because I prefer fast characters in games like this.

Malyse

Weren't Ansem SoD and Xemnas on two of the thirteen thrones, on either side of Master Xehanort? I'd call that as clear an indication as any.

Yep. Master Xehanort, Saix, Xigbar, Ansem SoD, and Xemnas are 5 members, and Sora would have been a 6th so they have one vacant space, and there are 7 unknown members. I'm guessing one of the other missing organization members are among them.

EXCEPT they were drawn through time to be in DDD's True OrgXIII and faded back to their own times at the end of that game. Unless time travel plays heavily into III, and I don't think it will, you can't assume that Xemnas and Ansem SoD are part of the 13. Plus, what would have been the point of specifically having Sora and Riku vanquish them *again* in 3D if they were going to return again? The only ones we know will be in the 13 are the ones currently in the present: Master Xehanort, Xigbar, and Saïx.

Ah, I gotcha, that's not too bad then. Personally, Aqua is one of my favorite KH characters - she's awesome and fun to play as. There's three different "campaigns" and then a "final act" sort of thing after you beat all 3 completely. It's recommended to do Aqua's story last because of various spoilers and how it ties into the final act. You can play as either Terra or Ventus first.. I'm not sure it matters too much. I've seen people say to play as Ventus first because of certain story implications, but then Nomura himself said to play Terra, then Ventus, then Aqua. Either way is probably fine.

One thing I think BBS does well is how each character feels very different when you control them. It would have been so easy for them to just have a skin swap on each character with the same skills, but it's not done like that all. Ventus is not quite as strong physically as Terra, but he is really fast (He's probably my favorite to control). Terra is slower and more of a tank-y character. Aqua is decently fast and a magic user. Terra is probably my least favorite to play as simply because I prefer fast characters in games like this.

Nomura says the order is Terra, Ventus, Aqua.

Yeah, Terra, Ventus, Aqua works best, I think. EXCEPT for one scene right at the very end when you're playing as Terra and Ventus comes up to you babbling about the chi-blade and you, the player, are basically just like "what the fuck is he talking about." But otherwise it's the best flow by far.

Psxphile

The only ones we know will be in the 13 are the ones currently in the present: Master Xehanort, Xigbar, and Saïx.
*Braig and Isa

Since we're reiterating old points: Master Xehanort sure went to a lot of trouble stealing himself a young vessel to be his new body only to be reformed back as an old man when Ansem SoD and Xemnas bit the bucket... or was he? Could MX also be a time-traveller during that scene? Should we presume then that we've yet to see the reformed 'Terranort'? And more importantly: will he still be wearing that swanky lab coat?

Sure, why not.

sasuke_91

Sounds great. Playing one character's story until the end sounds better than always swapping between them. DDD did a good job with the drop-system, but I personally prefer playing only one character.
I think I'll like Aqua. I have the same impression on her as I had on Xion when I saw her the first time.

Malyse

*Braig and Isa

No, Xigbar and Saïx. The X is the recusant sigil, which shows that Xehanort has a mark on that person. Braig isn't Braig anymore, by his own words he's "already half Xehanort". This makes him Xigbar. The same can be said of Saïx. Though the percentages are unknown, it's obvious that Xehanort has a firm grip on his heart. He's not Isa. Not right now.

I still stand by that Ventus->Terra->Aqua is the best way to go!

Tho Terra->Ven->Aqua is ok too. Exept indeed for the X-blade babble and Terra having the hardest end boss. Also going from Terra to Ven is a little annoying IMO since with Terra you get used to having a big range on your attacks and fast rushes. Also if you play Ven and Aqua next to each other it feels like you are fighting Vanitas all the time.

zeemumu

*Braig and Isa

Since we're reiterating old points: Master Xehanort sure went to a lot of trouble stealing himself a young vessel to be his new body only to be reformed back as an old man when Ansem SoD and Xemnas bit the bucket... or was he? Could MX also be a time-traveller during that scene? Should we presume then that we've yet to see the reformed 'Terranort'? And more importantly: will he still be wearing that swanky lab coat?

Sure, why not.
I was wondering about that too. Shouldn't he have come back as Terranort and not Master Xehanort? Will the Lingering Will take back Terra? Are they going to pull a Lich King and have Master Xehanort expel Terra's consciousness?

Psxphile

No, Xigbar and Saïx. The X is the recusant sigil, which shows that Xehanort has a mark on that person. Braig isn't Braig anymore, by his own words he's "already half Xehanort". This makes him Xigbar. The same can be said of Saïx. Though the percentages are unknown, it's obvious that Xehanort has a firm grip on his heart. He's not Isa. Not right now.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the Recusant Sigil was anything more than the X on Sora as a means to track him. Is it supposed to be metaphorical when it comes to the X's in their names? If Sora had fallen to Xehanort, would we be referring to him as 'Roxas'?

Malyse

I'm still not entirely convinced that the Recusant Sigil was anything more than the X on Sora as a means to track him. Is it supposed to be metaphorical when it comes to the X's in their names? If Sora had fallen to Xehanort, would we be referring to him as 'Roxas'?

So why were the X's added to the names in KH2 if not the recusant sigil? Lea is Lea and not Axel because the taint of Xehanort is no longer upon him. Xigbar is Xigbar and not Braig because the Xehanort in him is increasing.

Rnr1224

just got KH2 running on pcsx2 and good god does the game look amazing. playing the game in 1080p and 60 fps feels like my childhood reborn!

Psxphile

So why were the X's added to the names in KH2 if not the recusant sigil?
"Because it looks cool."

If they want to retcon it later to be more significant, it would be nice if they would at least mention it in passing. You're only assuming Braig's name will still be Xigbar based on... what exactly?

Lea is Lea and not Axel because the taint of Xehanort is no longer upon him. Xigbar is Xigbar and not Braig because the Xehanort in him is increasing.

Mz5ASPW.png

Malyse

"Because it looks cool."

If they want to retcon it later to be more significant, it would be nice if they would at least mention it in passing. You're only assuming Braig's name will still be Xigbar based on... what exactly?

chris_tucker_dark_skinned_actor_face_smile_34057_4288x2848.jpg

Dream Drop Distance Official Soundtrack Disc 2 - Track 18 - Xigbar

Wait, there's more.

(Sora blacks out again. When he comes to, it is nighttime on the Destiny
Islands. He sees the robed Ansem entering the Secret Place)

Sora: Him!

(He then sees himself running towards the Secret Place)

Sora: Is that...

Young Xehanort: Yes. The point in time that Xigbar mentioned.

(Sora looks over to see the cloaked youth again)

Both the soundtrack and the games are still calling him Xigbar and not Braig. Occam's Razor.

Psxphile

I think something went awry here.

Both the soundtrack and the games are still calling him Xigbar and not Braig. Occam's Razor.
You seem to operating on the assumption that the Xigbar you see in Dream Drop Distance is from a time other than his Nobody period. Remember what I was saying about time travel making a mess of things? Same goes for Saix. If they were recently reformed, why would they disappear into thin air with the other time-travelling mooks? It wasn't via Corridor.

Top Bottom