• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

By the way -- I still wish that Dream Drop Distance's Traverse Town superboss fight had been Sho Minamimoto from TWEWY instead.

Personally, I was so disappointed in who the superboss was in DDD, that I never even wanted to try fighting him. I really should go back at some point, but... it's just not the same as previous games. D;

Personally, I was so disappointed in who the superboss was in DDD, that I never even wanted to try fighting him. I really should go back at some point, but... it's just not the same as previous games. D;

It's not a very hard superboss at all, to be totally frank. It's quite aggressive but the right deck of commands makes it something you can pretty much spam to death, unfortunately.

Caladrius

It's not a very hard superboss at all, to be totally frank. It's quite aggressive but the right deck of commands makes it something you can pretty much spam to death, unfortunately.

As fun as it could be to spam balloonga, it really isn't something they should put in a KH game ever again.

As fun as it could be to spam balloonga, it really isn't something they should put in a KH game ever again.

That and a homing Firaga Burst. They both remove way too much skill from the game because they do big damage, often result in hitstun of some sort, *and* don't need to be aimed.

Malyse

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

170px-FFXIII-Lightning_CG.png

lightning_kh_style_by_fabulla-d4jplzb.png

Malyse

I *do* think that further KH-original worlds are likely to happen, though.

Daybreak Town (that's the name, right DreamDrop? can't remember and you're our resident KH [chi] expert) is almost certain to happen, of course.

Then there's pretty much the guarantee of:

-Radiant Garden
-Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure
-The World that Never Was
-Mysterious Tower

Also likely/possible:

-Destiny Islands (perhaps not playable, though)
-Keyblade Graveyard (again, perhaps not playable)
-"World of Darkness" (the recurring area on the nighttime beach grotto is still awfully difficult to parse with regard to the "world"/"realm" terminology problem discussed earlier - and this one also might not be playable)

I think we can likely rule out Traverse Town and Twilight Town, even though it'd be super-neat to see the three separate clocktower-towns eventually combined into a single bigger area someday.

Likewise, I think we're very unlikely to see KH1's "End of the World" in this one or BBS's Mirage Arena.

If there are previously unseen playable worlds in this game, I suspect we'll see:

-Kingdom Hearts as a final dungeon
-some sort of Mirage Arena-style tournament/superboss arena

Oops. Missed this. Only found it because of my absurdly high vanity stat. Yes, Daybreak Town is the name of the hub world in [chi],
but it's almost certainly going to be destroyed and become the Keyblade Graveyard a la Hollow Bastion - Radiant Garden and Land of Departures - Castle Oblivion

Oops. Missed this. Only found it because of my absurdly high vanity stat. Yes, Daybreak Town is the name of the hub world in [chi],
but it's almost certainly going to be destroyed and become the Keyblade Graveyard a la Hollow Bastion - Radiant Garden and Land of Departures - Castle Oblivion

Ah, interesting. I expected that the Keyblade Graveyard would be a thing by the end of [chi], but what makes you think that it's
Daybreak Town specifically that'll be its origin
?

zeemumu

Ah, interesting. I expected that the Keyblade Graveyard would be a thing by the end of [chi], but what makes you think that it's
Daybreak Town specifically that'll be its origin
?

Probably because as a hub world it would be likely that a large concentration of keyblade wielders would already be there, and the world doesn't seem to exist later in the timeline.

Malyse

Probably because as a hub world it would be likely that a large concentration of keyblade wielders would already be there, and the world doesn't seem to exist later in the timeline.

Pretty much this. It's also the only place that has canon has multiple wielders in the same place at the same time. You actually meet other Keybladers there in Mission Quests.

To be honest I wouldn't have been surprised if daybreak had turned out to be Traverse Town

The clock tower's pretty clearly a different one from the Traverse Town and Twilight Town clock towers.

I still think it's a tease for KH3 sort of like how Chain of Memories teased Twilight Town before KH2, but I'm not playing [chi] so I could well be wrong.

Malyse

The clock tower's pretty clearly a different one from the Traverse Town and Twilight Town clock towers.

I still think it's a tease for KH3 sort of like how Chain of Memories teased Twilight Town before KH2, but I'm not playing [chi] so I could well be wrong.

With as serious as shit's gotten in [chi], I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to destroy a world.

Psxphile

Daybreak Town becoming the Keyblade Graveyard (why are we spoilering this? It's just idle speculation) would preclude it from being a playable world in KH3, since that's where Master Xehanort intends to have his clash of Light and Dark take place. Which would be something reserved for the end game, I feel.

For that reason, I would most certainly NOT want that fate for Daybreak Town. Because it'd be a waste. And there's no way to return the town to the way it was ala Radiant Garden and (eventually) Land of Departure (even if it was battered prior to the transformation):

That "world" got REKT. There's no coming back from that. I'd rather the Graveyard be a different location that the factions have to actively seek out, than be right under their noses the whole time.

KH3 needs a hub town.

Malyse

Daybreak Town becoming the Keyblade Graveyard (why are we spoilering this? It's just idle speculation) would preclude it from being a playable world in KH3, since that's where Master Xehanort intends to have his clash of Light and Dark take place. Which would be something reserved for the end game, I feel.

For that reason, I would most certainly NOT want that fate for Daybreak Town. Because it'd be a waste. And there's no way to return the town to the way it was ala Radiant Garden and (eventually) Land of Departure (even if it was battered prior to the transformation):

That "world" got REKT. There's no coming back from that. I'd rather the Graveyard be a different location that the factions have to actively seek out, than be right under their noses the whole time.

KH3 needs a hub town.

The Graveyard isn't being sought, it's just where the war went down. So logically, the place where all the bearers currently are would be a prime place for a war to go down. Plus, don't underestimate the power of Kingdom Hearts.

Also, the battle theme is superior

I'm not so sure that KH3 needs a hub town, in the sense that Traverse Town and Twilight Town aren't actually "hubs" in any major sense. I'd say that Radiant Garden ends up as more of a hub in KH2 than Twilight Town does, honestly.

I'd be curious to see what would happen if KH worlds did get recombined. I sort of think it'd be too much of a mess (and too much of a radical shift in formula) for the games to merge all of the assorted Disney worlds, but it'd be neat to have a bunch of the KH-original worlds (Destiny Islands, the three clocktower towns, Land of Departure, Mysterious Tower, Radiant Garden) all merged into one giant 'main' world in KH4 so long as the game could make it feel navigable, populated, interesting, and worth revisiting repeatedly over the course of the game.

Blink Me

I'm not so sure that KH3 needs a hub town, in the sense that Traverse Town and Twilight Town aren't actually "hubs" in any major sense. I'd say that Radiant Garden ends up as more of a hub in KH2 than Twilight Town does, honestly.

I'd be curious to see what would happen if KH worlds did get recombined. I sort of think it'd be too much of a mess (and too much of a radical shift in formula) for the games to merge all of the assorted Disney worlds, but it'd be neat to have a bunch of the KH-original worlds (Destiny Islands, the three clocktower towns, Land of Departure, Mysterious Tower, Radiant Garden) all merged into one giant 'main' world in KH4 so long as the game could make it feel navigable, populated, interesting, and worth revisiting repeatedly over the course of the game.

I was actually thinking of this idea as well but with the Disney Worlds which have already been visited being amalgamated into one world for some reason. So in one district you'd have Agrabah, another Halloween Town, Olympus Coliseum in another, maybe the Princesses different worlds amalgamated into one castle, Neverland and Atlantica together etc. That way the old characters could still appear but the focus could be on showing new Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars worlds.

What Disney worlds do you think will be returning in 3? I'd want none personally but I think Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron will as I think there are new films being made for both. Also it was hinted in KH2 that you might return to Pride Lands.

zeemumu

What Disney worlds do you think will be returning in 3? I'd want none personally but I think Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron will as I think there are new films being made for both. Also it was hinted in KH2 that you might return to Pride Lands.

Whatever is big right now (Frozen), whatever hasn't been either overused or had its story completed, and whatever worlds haven't been explored to their entirety. I can see a Beauty and the Beast world returning since we have yet to encounter Gaston, I'd like Halloween Town to return but there's nowhere else to go there since Nightmare Before Christmas' plot has finished up in that world, and I'm hoping Atlantica doesn't return because I didn't like that world in either of the games and Ursula's been canonically brought back 2 times already. If we return to Pride Lands we'll probably be fighting Zira.

I was actually thinking of this idea as well but with the Disney Worlds which have already been visited being amalgamated into one world for some reason. So in one district you'd have Agrabah, another Halloween Town, Olympus Coliseum in another, maybe the Princesses different worlds amalgamated into one castle, Neverland and Atlantica together etc. That way the old characters could still appear but the focus could be on showing new Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars worlds.

The Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron sequels are kind of stuck in development hell, for whatever it's worth.

Malyse

Anything that still has a sequel to explore or that hasn't had the story explored will likely return. So you can expect Lilo & Stitch, Agrabah (Prince of Thieves), possibly Atlantica (Little Mermaid 2), Port Royal, Pride Lands, possibly Neverland (Peter Pan 2), possibly the Land of Dragons (Mulan 2), Castle of Dreams (C2 and C3). Plus it's unclear if the Sleeping Worlds count as being used or not, so La Cité des Cloches, Country of the Musketeers, and Symphony of Sorcery could come back as well. Plus The Jungle Book will be in, as it was cut from BBS. I would expect a Toy Story world, since Buzz and Woody were to be in KH2, and since Chicken Little was in 2 to promo the film on DVD, I would expect some synchronicity with the upcoming Frozen sequel and Incredibles 2 (and hopefully something from Moana). Outside of that, expect something really fucking bizarre. Nomura enjoys people saying "wait they put what world in?" First game was Halloween Town. Second game was Port Royal and Space Paranoids. Something from Star Wars will be in the game: most likely something like a Vader superboss with a new lightsaber keyblade.

The Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron sequels are kind of stuck in development hell, for whatever it's worth.

No they aren't. Pirates 5 is 2016 and Tron 3 is actively in work.

No they aren't. Pirates 5 is 2016 and Tron 3 is actively in work.

Nice, I'm happy to hear that. Pirates 4 and Tron: Legacy were both total messes from a screenwriting and acting point of view, but the Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron: Legacy art-direction teams have still put out some absolutely stellar work that I want to see further developed and continued.

zeemumu

Playing through Dream Drop Distance again on Proud Mode. I remember how confusing things get when you get to the
World that Never Was.

I was thinking of what the clothes are going to be like in KH3, and I was thinking something Gold and Black for Sora, kind of like Master Form but not just a recolor. IDK about Riku, probably something similar to DDD and I have no idea for Kairi.

Caladrius

I was thinking of what the clothes are going to be like in KH3, and I was thinking something Gold and Black for Sora, kind of like Master Form but not just a recolor. IDK about Riku, probably something similar to DDD and I have no idea for Kairi.

As long as the clown-suit gets to never be re-used or revisited ever again and rots in Hell I'll take anything.

zeemumu

There'd probably have to be a reason for the clothing change. They changed clothes in between KH1 and 2 because they had grown out of their old ones, and the DDD clothes had a special purpose. By the look of the gameplay videos for KH3, Sora's still going to have his KH2 clothes. I have no idea if that means that he'll still have drive gauges.

There'd probably have to be a reason for the clothing change. They changed clothes in between KH1 and 2 because they had grown out of their old ones, and the DDD clothes had a special purpose. By the look of the gameplay videos for KH3, Sora's still going to have his KH2 clothes. I have no idea if that means that he'll still have drive gauges.
Nomura confirmed that there's new clothes for Sora and Riku back in the Disney D23 expo thing
No mention of Kairi, though.
Also interesting is that Nomura confirmed that "what was shown in the demonstration footage are parts of the game that have already been made to be playable." Does this mean we're going back to Twilight Town? I'm probably reading this wrong.

zeemumu

Nomura confirmed that there's new clothes for Sora and Riku back in the Disney D23 expo thing
No mention of Kairi, though.
Also interesting is that Nomura confirmed that "what was shown in the demonstration footage are parts of the game that have already been made to be playable." Does this mean we're going back to Twilight Town? I'm probably reading this wrong.

Oh okay. Maybe they'll all get traditional keyblade wielder clothing or their own sets of Keyblade armor or something?

I hope we get to go to Twilight Town again. That Heartless flood looked like it could be interesting with some tweaking.

Oh okay. Maybe they'll all get traditional keyblade wielder clothing or their own sets of Keyblade armor or something?

I hope we get to go to Twilight Town again. That Heartless flood looked like it could be interesting with some tweaking.

It's pretty clearly inspired by the giant flood of keyblades from Birth By Sleep. I kinda suspect that it might be one of Nomura's goals to make everything we've seen in cinematics actually playable (outside of the clearly-metaphorical stuff, of course, like characters bursting out of book-pages). Reaction Commands were how this was accomplished for KH2 and Deep Dive, for example.

As for an FF villain to use as a *boss fight* specifically - Sephiroth's obviously a good fit in many ways gameplay-wise because he's so weapon-focused.

Obviously Dissidia's done a reasonably good deal to fill out prospective real-time combat styles for a number of FF heroes and villains, but that may not have fully entered into the fan consciousness, which matters for a series that is ultimately about fanservice.

But yeah. I could see Jecht being something possible to fight, or Genesis (lol), or Gilgamesh (who's obviously *very* weapon/melee-focused).

By the way -- I still wish that Dream Drop Distance's Traverse Town superboss fight had been Sho Minamimoto from TWEWY instead.

That would've been so much better :/ TWEWY boss fights were really intense.

zeemumu

It's pretty clearly inspired by the giant flood of keyblades from Birth By Sleep. I kinda suspect that it might be one of Nomura's goals to make everything we've seen in cinematics actually playable (outside of the clearly-metaphorical stuff, of course, like characters bursting out of book-pages). Reaction Commands were how this was accomplished for KH2 and Deep Dive, for example.

That keyblade tornado technically WAS a gameplay mechanic already during the final boss fights of BBS, but the heartless flood kind of reminds me of the truck from SA2 or Uncharted 2.

I think that the closest that they could get to replicating the combat in KH2 Final Mix's secret ending is by combining the flowmotion moves and reaction commands into one game.

Have you seen the number of x's on Sora's KH2 outfit? Justification made.

I'm not sure if that would work. The fairies made his costume and Xemnas had no access to Sora at the time.

I thought the X would need to be enchanted.

The DDD outfit only comes about because Xehanort forces it on Sora in his dreams.

It's basically not likely whatsoever that Nomura was planning this far ahead during the creation of KH1, but it's also on Riku during that game.

Malyse

It's basically not likely whatsoever that Nomura was planning this far ahead during the creation of KH1, but it's also on Riku during that game.

Actually, it notable isn't. The heartless crest is blank on Riku; even though he fell to darkness, his heart was still strong enough to resist. This ties to the end of DDD, when Young Xehanort makes mention of Riku's resistance to the dark.

Actually, it notable isn't. The heartless crest is blank on Riku; even though he fell to darkness, his heart was still strong enough to resist. This ties to the end of DDD, when Young Xehanort makes mention of Riku's resistance to the dark.

Ooh, good point about Possessed Riku. (I was referring to the X on Riku's normal KH1 clothing but hadn't caught that detail until you mentioned it).

Top Bottom