• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

What about the X's on Aqua and Terra? Sora's got 4 X's on his KH2 outfit total right?

It's not really clear whether this is the intention on Nomura's part or not, but Aqua, Terra, and Ventus all have an X on their costume, but Aqua's and Ven's are both interrupted with the Mark of Mastery at the very center/intersection of the X; Terra's is not. DreamDrop posted about this a while back.

Malyse

It's not really clear whether this is the intention on Nomura's part or not, but Aqua, Terra, and Ventus all have an X on their costume, but Aqua's and Ven's are both interrupted with the Mark of Mastery at the very center/intersection of the X; Terra's is not. DreamDrop posted about this a while back.

I think it's safe to assume that the recusant's sigil was conceptualized at least in KH2. There's the whole thing with the added X to the name for nobodies, yes. But think back to Saïx. Specifically, remember the dialogue in 358/2 Days between him and Axel.

Saïx: Hmph. What took you?

Axel: It's my vacation. I can take all the time I want. Since when do I have
to check in with you?

Saïx: You're letting yourself get too attached to them.

Axel: Yes, sir, whatever you say.

Saïx (turning around): You've changed.

--Secret Report: Axel--
Talking to Roxas and Xion always brings back memories of my human life, back
when I was a kid. It's a weird sensation.
I ought to be able to share all this with Saïx, but I just don't feel like it
anymore. It's strange, but I'm content with just missing what's gone.
I'm not the one who changed. You did.

--Secret Report: Saïx--
Our plans never accounted for the possibility of both Xion and Roxas leaving.
How did this come to pass? When did Roxas grow strong enough to outmuscle me?
What were you really after, Lea? We joined the Organization at the same time,
and formulated our plan. At this point, it's just an idle fantasy.
Everything changed. You, and me.

They are noticeably cool toward each other, yet in BBS they were best of friends. Now we could attribute to growing up, but I would posit another theory.

b018_015.jpg

Xemnas, knowing that Axel and Saïx had intentions to overthrow the organization, took the time to carve the recusant sigil into Saïx's fucking face, guaranteeing his loyalty in the future. Should this be true, it would mean that from the minute Saïx showed up with the scar on his face, Nomura had already planed out the recusant sigil.

I'm drunk and sleepy, so if this doesn't make sense I'll fix it later.

Makes sense. I think it's also pretty interesting that Xigbar (the other one clearly being transformed into a Xehanort) is the only other Organization member with any scars (though obviously his are explained by his battle with Terra). I wonder how early that bit was planned out.

I'm sure we'll eventually learn about what happened to Isa/Saix, though, yeah.

zeemumu

Makes sense. I think it's also pretty interesting that Xigbar (the other one clearly being transformed into a Xehanort) is the only other Organization member with any scars (though obviously his are explained by his battle with Terra). I wonder how early that bit was planned out.

I'm sure we'll eventually learn about what happened to Isa/Saix, though, yeah.

Well the X didn't disappear like Axel's markings after he got reformed, so it would have been a pre-Nobody event, right?

Well the X didn't disappear like Axel's markings after he got reformed, so it would have been a pre-Nobody event, right?

I know Axel's markings disappeared at that point, but do we know that they were something that happened after he became a Nobody specifically? We don't even necessarily know what they meant. The rules about this may be a little bit unclear at this point.

zeemumu

I know Axel's markings disappeared at that point, but do we know that they were something that happened after he became a Nobody specifically? We don't even necessarily know what they meant. The rules about this may be a little bit unclear at this point.

Axel's did, but Xigbar and Saix's didn't, and I think that Axel didn't have those pre-Nobody judging by his reaction when he looked in the mirror (he checked his eyes specifically, then came to the conclusion that he was a persona again), and we know that Xigbar had them pre-Nobody for sure.

My guess would be that since the Nobody is just the body, the markings wouldn't disappear since they were already there, but once they die, their body reforms to the point before they became a Nobody and any markings on the body before then disappear. It's all speculation. I'm just going off of what we know so far.

On an unrelated note since I'm almost done with my 2nd playthrough of DDD, if all of the new Organization are some form of Xehanort from different time periods (excluding Sora), and things that have already happened can't be changed by time travel, would that mean that if you fight the new Organization in KH3, none of them would be killable because they all have to be alive for the timeline to remain intact? Xemnas and Ansem wouldn't be killable for sure since they would still have to appear (and die) in their respective games, and if you killed them anyway, they would just reform into Xehanort again and that would create an endless cycle.

Malyse

Axel has teardrop tattoos. Two in fact.

Teardrop tattoos signify that you've murdered someone and gotten away with it. (Look it up).

What happened to Vexen and Zexion?

On an unrelated note since I'm almost done with my 2nd playthrough of DDD, if all of the new Organization are some form of Xehanort from different time periods (excluding Sora), and things that have already happened can't be changed by time travel, would that mean that if you fight the new Organization in KH3, none of them would be killable because they all have to be alive for the timeline to remain intact? Xemnas and Ansem wouldn't be killable for sure since they would still have to appear (and die) in their respective games, and if you killed them anyway, they would just reform into Xehanort again and that would create an endless cycle.

No. You're thinking of it backwards. The version that you meet in 3D is not further along in their timeline than the version in KH3. And we don't know who the 13 darknesses are outside of Master Xehanort, Xigbar, and Saix, so that could just as easily have been the last canonical appearance of Ansem SOD and Xemnas. Same as the lights; they could be any number of people. There are a lot of assumptions being made because of the events of 3D, but we honestly don't know that much about the story anymore.

zeemumu

Axel has teardrop tattoos. Two in fact.

Teardrop tattoos signify that you've murdered someone and gotten away with it. (Look it up).

What happened to Vexen and Zexion?

I'm well aware of what those mean. If so, then his are upside-down and should be closer to the sides of his eyes. Also I don't think gang initiations are a thing in Kingdom Hearts. I mean I know Radiant Garden has slums but damn...

Zexion and Vexen were with Axel when they all reformed. The real questions is where are Lexaeus and Marluxia?

Malyse

I'm well aware of what those mean. If so, then his are upside-down and should be closer to the sides of his eyes. Also I don't think gang initiations are a thing in Kingdom Hearts. I mean I know Radiant Garden has slums but damn...

Zexion and Vexen were with Axel when they all reformed. The real questions is where are Lexaeus and Marluxia?

Larxene is far more relevant than either of those. Also

Lea_Awakens_01_KH3D.png

Aeleus is right there.

Also, the implication of my statement sailed right past you.

What did *Axel* do to Zexion and Vexen. :|

HINT: Two teardrops. Nomura is notorious for calling things forward, after all.

zeemumu

Larxene is far more relevant than either of those. Also

Lea_Awakens_01_KH3D.png

Aeleus is right there.

Also, the implication of my statement sailed right past you.

What did *Axel* do to Zexion and Vexen. :|

HINT: Two teardrops. Nomura is notorious for calling things forward, after all.

Yeah you're right. I meant Larxene, sorry.

I don't think that was Nomura's intention with Axel's markings. They're not even proper teardrop tattoos. F

Malyse

Yeah you're right. I meant Larxene, sorry.

I don't think that was Nomura's intention with Axel's markings. They're not even proper teardrop tattoos. F

You never considered that the Japanese man might have effed up? It's trivia in any case, but interesting trivia.

aravuus

You guys are always talking about such weird stuff after DreamDrop joined the forums

Of course it beats everyone being quiet tho

Levyne

Banned
I enjoy reading the thread even though I don't comment much. For instance the Teardrop tattoo bit is very interesting.

zeemumu

Kingdom Hearts Community: Head T'wards The LIGHT!!

All threads begin in darkness, and all so end. This thread is no different. Darkness sprouts within it, it grows, consumes it. Such is its nature. In the end, every thread must return TO THE DARKNESS FROM WHENCE IT CAME! You see, darkness is the thread's true essence.

Levyne

Banned
Some gaffers helped to make (well, consult to) that. Probably common knowledge but I will blurt it out anyway. It seems a little lower in the production values compared to the Zelda one, though. Still pretty good.

I wonder when the next one is expected.

I know that we've been told to wait for E3 for more KH3/FFXV news, but I sort of expect that Square-Enix pretty much has to have some kind of pre-E3 event for themselves for at least SOME of their stuff. E3's so busy that it's too easy to get your own announcements lost in it, but it's looking like they're readying a Deus Ex: HR sequel announcement for the next few months (maybe even a Tomb Raider sequel tease) in addition to the FF/KH stuff.

Hopefully we'll get that KH 2.5 release date soon. Dat value package.

Seda

I know that we've been told to wait for E3 for more KH3/FFXV news, but I sort of expect that Square-Enix pretty much has to have some kind of pre-E3 event for themselves for at least SOME of their stuff. E3's so busy that it's too easy to get your own announcements lost in it, but it's looking like they're readying a Deus Ex: HR sequel announcement for the next few months (maybe even a Tomb Raider sequel tease) in addition to the FF/KH stuff.

We got 1.5 information at PAX East last year, it's possible we could get information this year on 2.5 despite it not being in Square's line-up.

zeemumu

I would have expected 2.5's development to go a lot faster than 1.5's since they didn't have to start from scratch this time.

Psxphile

All threads begin in darkness, and all so end. This thread is no different. Darkness sprouts within it, it grows, consumes it. Such is its nature. In the end, every thread must return TO THE DARKNESS FROM WHENCE IT CAME! You see, darkness is the thread's true essence.

Especially page 100.

I would have expected 2.5's development to go a lot faster than 1.5's since they didn't have to start from scratch this time.

Doesn't Re:CoM use the later version of the engine from KH2? Yeah.

However, KH2FM's got a lot more content (and therefore more need for testing) than KH1FM had. And probably more of a need for memory-intensive optimization (remember that the Lingering Will has a *ton* of attacks, there are the reaction commands, the Drive Forms (though the game's happy to have load times for those, IIRC), and some other stuff. Things like the 1000-Heartless battle might need some work to look good in HD, too - that stuff used a LOT of little tricks and sleight of hand that might not look nearly as good in higher resolution.

Also, don't forget that BBSFM's got some stuff that'll take additional work, too - specifically, the Mirage Arena. I strongly doubt that KH 2.5 HD Remix is going to have multiplayer in it, so that means restructuring the Mirage Arena somewhat (removing group-heal abilities, removing stuff like the Confetti ability, possibly removing the redundant-without-multiplayer Mirage Arena versions of Command Board and Rumble racing, and rebalancing some of the rewards/costs of what remains accordingly). It also means that they could make it possible to actually play as Aqua, Ventus, or Terra, and not just the Mirage forms of each (since the idea behind that was to prevent you from having two Terras onscreen, for example).

Yeah, it's probably the reworking of the Mirage Arena that's holding things up.

That's my guess, yeah. I don't see it being particularly *complicated* to rework (unless they decide to weaken some of the especially tough fights since it's no longer possible to tackle them with a team of characters), but it requires decisions and design work that goes above and beyond simple porting.

It's likely not super different from the work required for the changes made to the special MP-consuming physical attacks in KH1 though, but it's more about fine-tuning a specific mode than about a general sense of gameplay.

BBS will need a minor camera redesign just like KH1 did, yeah? It's been a while since I played it. They may not actually need to pull the camera back, but it's certainly not all set for analog-stick control.

Malyse

Actually, they are working harder on 2.5 than they did on 1.5

BBS will need a minor camera redesign just like KH1 did, yeah? It's been a while since I played it. They may not actually need to pull the camera back, but it's certainly not all set for analog-stick control.

It works pretty alright with analog controls right now. At least, my FM dump on PPSSPP works well enough...

I've always found it really weird that Emblem Heartless predate Terranort's experiments (and that new species of them have continued to emerge well after Ansem SoD's "death")

zeemumu

I've always found it really weird that Emblem Heartless predate Terranort's experiments (and that new species of them have continued to emerge well after Ansem SoD's "death")

Really? I don't remember any emblem heartless showing up before Terranort chronologically. As for the ones afterwards, he probably made a lot more than anyone had thought.

Malyse

Really? I don't remember any emblem heartless showing up before Terranort chronologically. As for the ones afterwards, he probably made a lot more than anyone had thought.
They show up in [chi], which is canon.

Nomura said:
◆ Message from the Director ◆
Thank you for your patience.

Finally, I will begin to talk about the story of KINGDOM HEARTS χ.

There is a passage written in the Foretellers’ Script.

It is an important fact that leads to KINGDOM HEARTS III.

Everyone can be a character in this story and be happy to realize you can become a part of it.

In this KINGDOM HEARTS, everything is connected to the main storyline.
To all fans that have been playing the series, do not overlook this expansion in the story and please look forward to it.

Also, even though we have announced plenty of additional features, there is still more to expect.

We understand that many of you may be dissatisfied but there will be many updates that will enhance the game and the staff is committed to working everyday.
Thank you in advance.

It makes me wonder if the ones in [chi] are just teases for some KH3 heartless designs, sort of like how the new Heartless in Chain of Memories all ended up in KH2.

Some of those were in Final Mix

The Neo Shadows, yeah, but technically that makes them "not new" for CoM (KH1:FM came out about two years before Chain of Memories GBA). The new Chain of Memories ones that I can recall were the Creeper Plant, Tornado Step, and Crescendo, all three of which ended up in KH2 as relatively minor enemies.

Maybe Ansem secretly had a template for his emblem heartless, or Xehanort did more time traveling as a heart than he let on?

It's possible that the presence of emblem heartless isn't strictly canonical (the default supposition for now, I think), that someone else has engaged in Heartless experiments before Ansem and decided to use the same emblem, that time flows even more differently than we suspect in the World/Realm of Darkness, or something else.

But it's *very* clearly stated that Xehanort can only time travel while bodiless *and* to places where a version of him already exists. Can't time travel to before his own birth or after his death (though he's done a stellar job of constantly delaying the latter).

Top Bottom