• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Tsunamo

or were one of those silly importers
Frank pls

I'd like to think we'll see it again at jump festa if there's nothing after 2.5 for next year, time will tell though.

Nomura's repeatedly said for years that he's wanted to at least touch upon Mickey's adventures in the dark realm in the background of KH1 leading into CoM. At the very least, I fully expect that to be explored in some capacity. Coded's already a bit Mickey-centric anyway, so it wouldn't be too out of place.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Nomura mentioning that he wanted to touch on Mickeys time in the dark realm. I originally felt like coded was going to touch upon that (and stuff we didn't see in KH1) but we didn't really get too much out of it in that regard.

Come to think of it I got the same impression about DDD and Terranorts time as an apprentice for Ansem The Wise in DDD but in the end we also didn't get much out of that (just this scene) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7DLeX9hyB8

It'll be nice if we finally get those blank points touched upon further.
Several days old but:

Cue sigh of relief on my end, though I wish they had considered this from the beginning so that Days wouldn't be so barren of conflict. I mean, ffs they even cut out
Roxas vs. Saix
completely. That was a battle 348 Days in the making.

His answer suggests more than one enemy type for KHIII that they're trying to keep under wraps. Or perhaps the Keyblade transforms into specific weapons depending on the situation on hand. Kinda like how there were specific Reaction Commands for certain enemies in KHII.
Yeah the omission of Saix vs Roxas was a shame, all that buildup to it and nothing.

The omitted can only be related to Toy Story, it only makes sense.
In my head, where all logic is thrown out the window to fit my needs

No, but the musical one specifically kind of does. You can't have the custom heartless boss or one of the main custom villains singing. That would be too silly. Frozen could function as a regular world, but a musical one might not work out.

I don't see why not. Winnie the Pooh functioned in its own way, so perhaps this could replace both Pooh and Mermaid?

I can't imagine they WON'T use Frozen in some capacity. At the very least, Olaf will be a summon.

Falk

that puzzling face
Tangential: Pooh was easily the worst part of both games.

Probably doesn't help that I just... don't like Pooh characters to begin with, but getting shoehorned into minigames resultant of Pooh's characteristic stupidity (go ahead and call it innocence or purity if you want) really, really tested my patience. D:

music was really good in 1.5 though

edit: I just got a phone call informing me that I don't have a soul. :(

zeemumu

I don't see why not. Winnie the Pooh functioned in its own way, so perhaps this could replace both Pooh and Mermaid?

I can't imagine they WON'T use Frozen in some capacity. At the very least, Olaf will be a summon.

A mini game world might be a waste of potential for Frozen. They'd need some custom songs for Frozen if they want to do a musical world because there's no climax song in the movie, but I don't see the climax working from any musical standpoint. A regular world would probably be structured like Mulan's world, with the mountain and city and whatnot.

I want Frozen to have you team up with Elsa and her kick-ass ice magic plz.

Also, gimme Asgard with Thor using melee attacks and thunder magic plz.

RPGCrazied

I sure hope II final mix will be easier to platinum than the first kingdom hearts. Please no speed trophies! I freaking hate these.

A mini game world might be a waste of potential for Frozen. They'd need some custom songs for Frozen if they want to do a musical world because there's no climax song in the movie, but I don't see the climax working from any musical standpoint. A regular world would probably be structured like Mulan's world, with the mountain and city and whatnot.

Well, what I meant was Winnie the Pooh didn't have an antagonist, so I don't see why a Frozen musical world would need one either. The conflict could just be trying to bring Elsa back home and convince her that she can fit in with her powers or whatever. They could make "Let It Go" the final song since thats when she comes to terms with her powers, just in the movie it takes more to get her to come back to civilization. Its not like these KH worlds are lock step with the plots from the movies so it could happen.

Well, what I meant was Winnie the Pooh didn't have an antagonist, so I don't see why a Frozen musical world would need one either. The conflict could just be trying to bring Elsa back home and convince her that she can fit in with her powers or whatever. They could make "Let It Go" the final song since thats when she comes to terms with her powers, just in the movie it takes more to get her to come back to civilization. Its not like these KH worlds are lock step with the plots from the movies so it could happen.

Makes it more likely that they'd just use a KH-original character appear as an antagonist, if anything. Frozen's too ripe for Actual Combat. It's more likely to follow the KH2 Beauty and the Beast precedent than the KH2 Little Mermaid precedent.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys reckon that critical mode in KH2FM will be available from the get go? Or do we have to complete the game on hard first?

zeemumu

She didn't come to terms with them as a resolution in that song. She shunned all responsibility so that her powers wouldn't matter. Think Hakunah Matata. Simba didn't get over his dad's death, he just adopted a "not my problem" mentality. Plus I really want Elsa to be a party member.

Psxphile

Yep, thank god.

Bummer that it's not nearly as well-designed in BBSFM as it is in KH2FM. At least you've got the assorted Trophy bonuses if you're completing it on a later playthrough.
Keyslinger_Trophy_KHBBS.png

I wonder if they'll dummy out the trophy screen in Trinity Archives now that it's (probably) no longer needed? Every single one could easily transition to regular PSN trophies. However earning each one netted you items, commands and prizes in Final Mix so maybe they'll just leave it be.

Falk

that puzzling face
Maybe PSN trophies will be awarded for netting trophies in a specific order!

Multiple-playthrough trophyception.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Finished watching Frozen (late I know but things get in the way)
I wouldn't be surprised at all if this gets a world in KH3. Considering how well it's doing in Japan, it's pretty much a guarantee.

A Wreck-It Ralph world would be nice, but might be a bit too meta. He could be a summon at least. Sora summons him to wreck everything.

Lnds500

Ralph summon? Yes please. Though it's kind of weird for summon magic to return after being absent for several games.

Eh, kind of. The D-Link mechanic is an attempt at going for similar ideas.

The D-link was the first actual summon mechanic that I found useful. Only a handful of the rest of the summons in the other games helped me in the gameplay (Tinker Bell)

Loved this aspect of BBS and I hope it comes back in some advanced way.

The D-link was the first actual summon mechanic that I found useful. Only a handful of the rest of the summons in the other games helped me in the gameplay (Tinker Bell)

Loved this aspect of BBS and I hope it comes back in some advanced way.
Valor Form Genie can wreck some serious shit tho. Arguably the best use of drive gauge if you want just reliable heavy damage before you get Final Form anyway. The problem is that drive forms are more fun to use so usually I just end up levelling Wisdom Form/Valor Form/Limit Form instead of Genie. D-Links use their own gauge so that of course leaves them more accessible. KH1 Summons aren't too bad if you got heavy magic build but unfortunately against bosses the damage they do drop dramatically leaving only Tinkerbell and it takes some serious dedication to bother summon regurarly against trash mobs.

I hope Summons return and they can get the balance right.

BTW I'm not buying any more Sqquare games until they release a version of KH2 with Limit Form Genie.

zeemumu

Valor Form Genie can wreck some serious shit tho. Arguably the best use of drive gauge if you want just reliable heavy damage before you get Final Form anyway. The problem is that drive forms are more fun to use so usually I just end up levelling Wisdom Form/Valor Form/Limit Form instead of Genie. D-Links use their own gauge so that of course leaves them more accessible. KH1 Summons aren't too bad if you got heavy magic build but unfortunately against bosses the damage they do drop dramatically leaving only Tinkerbell and it takes some serious dedication to bother summon regurarly against trash mobs.

BTW I'm not buying any more Sqquare games until they release a version of KH2 with Limit Form Genie.

Tinkerbell was the only summon that I really found useful in KH1. Bambi was good too but he was just a less effective Tinkerbell. KH2's summons weren't that great aside from Genie, but I do recall using the D-Links pretty often.

Truth and accuracy.

Lnds500

Tinkerbell was the only summon that I really found useful in KH1. Bambi was good too but he was just a less effective Tinkerbell. KH2's summons weren't that great aside from Genie, but I do recall using the D-Links pretty often.

I agree. The Drive forms were just a much more effective way to spend your Drive Gauge (I have nearly forgotten the terminology). They were more powerful and more in tune with the "core KH game-play", whereas the summons feel like mini-games. I got the feeling that the summons in KH2 were created as a quick method to amass a great number of hits (Peter Pan, Stitch, Chicken Little all seem to have this ability) and nothing more - with some passive abilities added for good measure.

I remember finding Genie a bit too complicated and a bit too stupid for my tastes. He uses to cast Fire/Blizzard/Thunder to enemies who benefited from it and his attacks were somewhat weak in both games, as well as somewhat "unfocused" in the later. Might give him another try in December.

Chicken Little was a complete joke and Peter Pan was weak as well. I just found out that Tinker Bell will revive you if you die (much like she did in the first one) - that might prove useful.

Overall I think Stitch was the best summon in KH2. He was especially helpful in Hades' Paradox Cup, he protected you and restored your HP/MP bars. Great for defence.

Tsunamo

Those who haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix yet will love the limit form. I'm really looking forward to playing it again, out of all the main titles in the series 2 Final Mix is the only one I haven't played in a long time. (about 6 years from memory)
I wonder if they'll dummy out the trophy screen in Trinity Archives now that it's (probably) no longer needed? Every single one could easily transition to regular PSN trophies. However earning each one netted you items, commands and prizes in Final Mix so maybe they'll just leave it be.
They could always end up redoing it with whatever trophies Birth By Sleep Final Mix has on PS3.

sasuke_91

Tinker Bell revives you if you die? I had no idea... Well... wouldn't have been able to summon her against Sephiroth anyway, and I was already overpowered when I fought the boss in Hollow Bastion (forgot his name... Unknown?).

zeemumu

Tinker Bell revives you if you die? I had no idea... Well... wouldn't have been able to summon her against Sephiroth anyway, and I was already overpowered when I fought the boss in Hollow Bastion (forgot his name... Unknown?).

Unknown at the time. Now it's just
Xemnas
. I found out about Tinker Bell's usefulness when I started going after the secret bosses starting with Kurt Zisa

Lnds500

Unknown at the time. Now it's just
Xemnas
. I found out about Tinker Bell's usefulness when I started going after the secret bosses starting with Kurt Zisa

She can. I've played the game maaany times and I didn't know about that until I played the remix and checked her abilities on the wiki. Very useful for tough battles ( = Maleficent)

Those who haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix yet will love the limit form. I'm really looking forward to playing it again, out of all the main titles in the series 2 Final Mix is the only one I haven't played in a long time. (about 6 years from memory)They could always end up redoing it with whatever trophies Birth By Sleep Final Mix has on PS3.

Limit Form is easily the overall best form in the game. It's not as flashy as Final Form, but it's utility (Limits make you invisible like KHII's other limits, but every hit of the limit heals Sora) and it's damage output (Zantetsuken is the strongest single attack in the entire game, for one) is outdone only by Final Form Firaga. It's ridiculously easy to level up, too.

Limit Form is easily the overall best form in the game. It's not as flashy as Final Form, but it's utility (Limits make you invisible like KHII's other limits, but every hit of the limit heals Sora) and it's damage output (Zantetsuken is the strongest single attack in the entire game, for one) is outdone only by Final Form Firaga. It's ridiculously easy to level up, too.

I still usually use most of my time using drive cauge on Wisdom Form just because it's my favourite :(. It's kind of annoying to level up since the difficulty really changes depending what enemies you are fighting.

Limit Form is also the best form for farming items cause for whatever reason it has Lucky Strike equipped. KH2FM makes it possible to stack ridicilous amount of Lucky Strike abilities making item farming very easy if you go thru the trouble of synthesizing Lucky Rings and whatnot, tho last time I played I only equipped the basic stuff and used Limit Form whenever I could and still you can get a very good drop %.

Item farming in general is a lot less of a hassle in KHIIFM. It says a lot that the most painful part of synthing Ultima Weapon in Final Mix is sitting through Atlantica to get that one Orichalcum+.

Final Mix actually removed one of the best spots for leveling Wisdom Form, so I rarely used it. Really shines in combination with elemental keyblades, though. Wisdom Form Firaga boosted by Hidden Dragon's Fire Boost ability is hilarity that has to be seen to be believed. (Do it against Vexen and it gets hilariously absurd.)

Item farming in general is a lot less of a hassle in KHIIFM. It says a lot that the most painful part of synthing Ultima Weapon in Final Mix is sitting through Atlantica to get that one Orichalcum+.

Final Mix actually removed one of the best spots for leveling Wisdom Form, so I rarely used it. Really shines in combination with elemental keyblades, though. Wisdom Form Firaga boosted by Hidden Dragon's Fire Boost ability is hilarity that has to be seen to be believed. (Do it against Vexen and it gets hilariously absurd.)

Bond of Flame ya mean! Hidden Dragon gives MP Rage :D

RPGCrazied

Did they tweak proud mode in the final mix release? I don't remember dying so much going through the game. Trying to beat Hades cup, can't get passed wave 45. lol.

Only level 55 though.

Did they tweak proud mode in the final mix release? I don't remember dying so much going through the game. Trying to beat Hades cup, can't get passed wave 45. lol.

Only level 55 though.

Proud mode was first added in Final Mix. It's a bit harder than the old ''expert'' mode from western release.

Yeah, KH2FM made sure that the endgame/postgame is about actual content instead of being about item farming. <3

Still has you do a bunch of rewardless minigames like that skateboard shit and the Hades Paradox Cup for journal completion though.

Well at least this time they didn't use a Capcom filter on the SD footage so kudos on them :lol.

Yep. And HD still looks drastically better.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't show a lot of KH2's soft-focus filter used on many of the backgrounds in that game during cutscenes. I'm curious to see how that handles the transition to HD.

Top Bottom