• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Falk

that puzzling face
Really misogynist comment in the Yoko Shimomura video interview thread. Cringeworthy enough that I won't repost.

''Top 10'' (as in quickly picked from my head) songs I'm looking foreward to listening the remastered version in 2.5:

10. Desire for all that is lost. Perhaps not one of my favourite tracks tho I like it but the sick piano, drums and violin could really make this one heck of a battle theme.

9. Beneath The Ground. definately NOT one of my favourite themes but one that I hope the most of receiving a bit of an upgrade. I know in 1.5 only a few songs were really changed radically unlike FFX HD but if I had to choose one for a serious treatment it's this one.

8. A day in Agrabah. I'm gonna be honest here, the reason why this is here is that I LOVED the remastered version from 1.5 (and it's one of my favourite field themes in KH1 period). Let's just say that they use a new remaster would be really cool for me to hear especially since I like the KH2 version as much as the one in original KH1. One of the field themes that really fit the world like a glove.

7. Rowdy Rumble. This might be a little strange choice but I just LOVE how ''Disney'' this theme is. Perfect for the Pete bossfight and some of the other encounters. Just a ton of fun to listen to battlesong without going for that ''epic'' feel. I think if those drums and trumpets/horns/whatever can get a little more power it will be a really fun track in the remaster too.

6. The 13th dilemma. One of those tracks I like but show that it could really use an upgraded version. Plays on 4 bosses I love in the game so that just makes it more important for me. Once again we have that lil too flat drum and piano up the ass just waiting to be upgraded. Also give those trumpets/horns/whatever some oomph!

5. Hazardous Highway. Like, if they get the guitar and drums right this song will be SICK (tho I know I'm stupid but... electric quitar isn't exactly the strong point for an orchestra?) Maybe the most interesting track to look foreward to for I have no idea what to expect from the remastered version. The best Gummi theme from the original to be sure.

4. Deep Anxiety. One of my favourite battle themes from KH2FM. The drums sound kinda flat in this one so it really could use an improvement despite me liking it. Also live piano like always can really elevate the track above most other battle themes.

3. A fight to the death. I think most peole prefer the final final battle theme but I think this one I prefer just a little bit for being a lil more intense. Sick Piano as usual, get the trumpets/horns really shine and this one will be a worhty ''final boss'' theme. Even tho the armoured Xemnas isn't exactly the most exciting boss compared to his other forms :lol.

2. The Other Promise. While to be honest I kinda grew sick of this theme back in 2007 for listening it to it too much (and it is one of those themes already remade for piano collections, Shimomura CDs and whatnot) it is the most iconic theme added in KH2FM and probably in the top 3 themes period in the game. Remastered version has potential to be really cool. This music is like 80% why people like the bossfight I think.

1. He's a Pirate. While this theme isn't really tied into an important story element like The Other Promise it's the one that was perhaps the most dissapointing after knowing the movie version. I'm not saying it needs to be over the top epic like in the movies but it certainly is lacking that spark that makes the theme so fuckin good in the movies. Especially since it probably is one of my favourite themes in movies. I'm a real sucker for pirates.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm personally looking forward to Darkness of the Unknown myself, but you indirectly mentioned that. :p

Also Battleship Bravery. How can anyone leave out Battleship Bravery in any kind of KH2 OST roundup

Soriku

Hazardous Highway is really cool and different for KH. Problem is that it gets drowned out by the the sound effects...and it only plays for (certain) Gummi ship sections.

Rowdy Rumble I feel needs more punch to it too. It's a bit...muted?...the way it is now, at least in the game with the sound quality. Same with 13th Struggle.

He's a Pirate will probably sound awesome orchestrated.

Oh and I think Darkness of the Unknown (dragon Xemnas) is his best theme.

One of the tracks I'm looking forward to most is One Winged Angel. The KH2 version is my favorite one so I'm wondering what the remastered version will sound like.

Btw I think The Corrupted is underrated. Looking forward to that too.

iosefe

3. A fight to the death. I think most peole prefer the final final battle theme but I think this one I prefer just a little bit for being a lil more intense. Sick Piano as usual, get the trumpets/horns really shine and this one will be a worhty ''final boss'' theme. Even tho the armoured Xemnas isn't exactly the most exciting boss compared to his other forms :lol.

+3

Psxphile

Yeah, it seemed obvious in your post on the previous page that you were involved somewhat with the remastering. Surprised no one else said anything about it.

You worked on Lighting Returns as well?

Will you be able to clarify if BbS or Re:Coded will have remastered tracks too, or is it too early for that/forbidden to talk about?

For that matter, do they even need the remaster treatment? BbS's music was streamed on PSP so it's probably going to sound as good as it can get already (other than remixing for 5.1?), and Re:Coded's original tracks were all themed around the data-hacking segments and were more like chiptunes than the world themes, which have already been remastered in I.5. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well... completely unrelated to KH2.5 let me say that streamed audio or not, there have been significant advancements made in sampling libraries even in the past 2-3 years. And even then there's always the big question of budget that dictates how much of a soundtrack is live instruments and how much comes out of a computer.

That aside, questions about the two other games are difficult to acknowledge/tackle because even if I say I can't comment on that, it hints at the presence of an NDA regarding the subject. So let me just dodge by saying I cannot confirm or deny whatever conclusions you come to at this point.

Now that it's been publicly announced, it's a little load off my chest. I'm of course still legally bound to adhering to NDAs but at least the somewhat hilariously awkward posting while skirting the issue will come to an end.

Yeah, VGO also worked on Lightning Returns. I'll try to answer whatever other questions I can, but NDAs etc.

Psxphile

That aside, questions about the two other games are difficult to acknowledge/tackle because even if I say I can't comment on that, it hints at the presence of an NDA regarding the subject. So let me just dodge by saying I cannot confirm or deny whatever conclusions you come to at this point.
Heh. Yeah, I thought as much. Can't blame a guy for trying.

I'll let the more musically-attuned fans ask about the remastering process, etc., if they would be so inclined.

iosefe

Since we know the music was remastered, are they keeping which tracks got the remaster treatment secret?

All I need to know is if A Fight to the Death got the goods, and maybe how good it sounds...

Golnei

Apparently, it's around 90, and all of those are from KH2. So most of the area, boss and battle themes should make the cut.

Can't wait to hear Vim and Vigor and The Encounter redone. Both got really well remasterings for Birth by Sleep, but neither ever made it on a soundtrack.

Falk

that puzzling face
Get even more hype:

I didn't mix He's a Pirate. I'm oversimplifying things a little, but while our strings and horns did track He's a Pirate (a foregone conclusion, really), the mixing was further outsourced to a good friend of VGO who has multiple recent Star Trek films in his credits list.

That's how much reverence that one particular song is due. :V

Andrefpvs

Get even more hype:

I didn't mix He's a Pirate. I'm oversimplifying things a little, but while our strings and horns did track He's a Pirate (a foregone conclusion, really), the mixing was further outsourced to a good friend of VGO who has multiple recent Star Trek films in his credits list.

That's how much reverence that one particular song is due. :V

That sounds so good! I'm happy the song is getting the attention it deserves. It was one of the most disappointing songs in the original game because of how "bland" it sounded.

Why isn't it December yet! :)

Apparently, it's around 90, and all of those are from KH2. So most of the area, boss and battle themes should make the cut.

90 songs means pretty much everything is remastered minus Utada tracks, the already orchestraded opening and ending credits songs ect. The whole KH2FM soundtrack has like 100 songs including everything and few of the songs were already remastered in 1.5.

edit: 103 tracks to be exact. And that includes crap like this

One thing to look foreward to is that the soundtrack will be available in October so I guess we have something to look foreward to before December.

Falk

that puzzling face
Anecdote: I was in the control room when we were tracking A New Day is Dawning. All the strings were wearing headphones. Some of the faces when Donald started singing... well, money can't buy some things.

To their credit the recording went on without a hitch. It was a real pleasure to work with every one of them really- top tier musicianship.

Video Games orchestra's Boston division is doing the recording and sound mixing of 2.5's soundtrack.

"
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX official soundtrack recorded by Video Game Orchestra, Força & SoundtRec Boston!"

Dear VGO fans,

Some of you may have wondered when the Kingdom Hearts series co-director, Tai Yasue, mentioned about recordings in Boston during his E3 interview...

And yes, we can finally reveal this VGO - Video Game Orchestra & SoundtRec Boston (our recording division) worked on the official Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX soundtrack!!! The music is sounding better than ever - you will be blown away by its gorgeous sound.

The beautiful music of Yoko Shimomura was orchestrated by our creator/producer Shota Nakama and is being mixed by our incredible engineer, Falk Au Yeong.

Congratulations to all our VGO & SoundtRec team members and musicians who tirelessly worked on this huge project. We cannot wait for you all to hear the music very soon!

zeemumu

I'm stuck in Atlantica. I have to go track down Ursula after she took the trident, but whenever I examine the button behind the ship, it just tells me "Isn't there something else that you should be doing?" or "there's no time for that."

Seda

I'm stuck in Atlantica. I have to go track down Ursula after she took the trident, but whenever I examine the button behind the ship, it just tells me "Isn't there something else that you should be doing?" or "there's no time for that."

I think you need to go back to the throne room and talk to Sebastian. There's some small text box you have to see somewhere anyway.

Golnei

Kind of slipped my mind - is this confirmation that there will be no live choir work in 2.5? I'm excited for the final product regardless; but the contrast between synth vocals and live orchestra was one of the weaker points of the 1.5 remaster's soundtrack.

Falk

that puzzling face
Força is the choir closely associated with VGO and was mentioned on facebook, so... :V

Choir work, especially the stuff with latin lyrics, was close to the top of our priority list in getting proper treatment. Going into further detail would probably spoil a few surprises, in the lamest text-only fashion.

Golnei

Sorry, didn't realise. That's great to hear, I can't wait to listen to the new arrangements. For some reason, I'm particularly interested to hear how you tackled 'Disappeared' - that always seemed to be one of the tracks that could benefit most from live performance.

Andrefpvs

Força is the choir closely associated with VGO and was mentioned on facebook, so... :V

Choir work, especially the stuff with latin lyrics, was close to the top of our priority list in getting proper treatment. Going into further detail would probably spoil a few surprises, in the lamest text-only fashion.

I've been wondering about the origins of Força ever since I beat Lightning Returns.

"Força" is unmistakably a Portuguese word, but Google searches on it or José Delgado didn't bring up any significant results. Do they have a website? I think they do a fantastic job.

I think you need to go back to the throne room and talk to Sebastian. There's some small text box you have to see somewhere anyway.

KH1 definitely has this problem if you skip through dialogue a lot. Generally, each cutscene in the assorted Disney worlds *does* show you where you ought to go next, but if you save and forget or don't pay enough attention, it's really easy to get caught in that weird "explore the world until you trigger the cutscene" mode. This is especially bad in Wonderland, Deep Jungle, and Atlantica; Agrabah manages to avoid the issue by being neatly divided into two halves, Monstro avoids it by having very little story (and by using High Jump as a way to lock you out of a bunch of the world), and Halloween Town and Neverland avoid it by being very very linear for the most part.

Falk

that puzzling face
Monstro was tedious as heck the first time around for me. Identical-looking interconnected rooms with a whole bunch of 1-way connections and OCD tendencies to open every chest D:

On the flipside I think I lucked out on Deep Jungle because I ran to each hotspot purely by chance and didn't understand where all the rage on gamefaqs boards was coming from!

zeemumu

Alright, I got it. I had to defeat the shark before it would allow me to do it. Normally I could just pass up the shark and get out of combat range. I actually managed to beat Ursula 2nd form on my first try, which is new. Hollow Bastion up next.

Monstro was tedious as heck the first time around for me. Identical-looking interconnected rooms with a whole bunch of 1-way connections and OCD tendencies to open every chest D:

On the flipside I think I lucked out on Deep Jungle because I ran to each hotspot purely by chance and didn't understand where all the rage on gamefaqs boards was coming from!

Deep Jungle was built like a chutes and ladders game.

I popped in Birth by Sleep for a bit (Mostly to see if my PSP's still in working order) and loaded up an abandoned save I had with Terra.

Man, I forgot how inspired some of the Disney bosses are in BBS. The Magic Mirror boss fight is seriously the coolest fucking thing. Can't wait to play them in HD with 2.5.

I popped in Birth by Sleep for a bit (Mostly to see if my PSP's still in working order) and loaded up an abandoned save I had with Terra.

Man, I forgot how inspired some of the Disney bosses are in BBS. The Magic Mirror boss fight is seriously the coolest fucking thing. Can't wait to play them in HD with 2.5.

The sheer strangeness of the way BBS proceeds through each Disney world with three brief plots forces the game not to simply ape the original version of the story. The results aren't always good in that regard, but at least they're interesting and end up straying pretty far from what was portrayed in the films (though KH2's two-visits-per-world thing does a good job of this as well).

Malyse

The sheer strangeness of the way BBS proceeds through each Disney world with three brief plots forces the game not to simply ape the original version of the story. The results aren't always good in that regard, but at least they're interesting and end up straying pretty far from what was portrayed in the films (though KH2's two-visits-per-world thing does a good job of this as well).

This is why I constantly say that KH fundamentally doesn't have good storytelling. It either does the world plot and then comes back for the KH plot a la KH2, or completely ignores the world plot a la BBS.

Malyse

If you could fight a fictional enemy from another franchise with KH mechanics, who would you fight? To clarify, I'm not quite asking "who would you want to fight as a super boss", but rather "I would want to fight the Gnosis or "I want to fight xenomorphs".

----

Having just seen Edge of Tomorrow, I would really like to fight a Mimic. Those things are Nobodies on speed with a heavy dose of giant squid.

Top Bottom