• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I never drop the staff personally. I can stand losing str/def since it isn't in your face while playing but it drives me nuts when I have 100 abilities and AP to only equip half of them :lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
You can arguably get back STR from farming synth mats anyway. You can't get back your 2 less MP.

edit: This is more of picking staff than giving up subsequently. Oops. #teamstaff

TnK

sword: less strenght
shield: less defence
staff: less AP

doesn't affect abilities.

Aaand, done. Thanks. Chose staff btw, which is what I chose in my very first playthrough. IMO, it grants the best abilities in the long run. Gave up the shield in the process too.

Also, I chose a mid speed apparently. I remember a faster paced game allows you to level up at start quickly, but then comes to a halt near the end where going to the higher levels takes more time.

KH2's Sword is a particularly bad choice (unfortunately) because so many of the best abilities that affect your melee are won from Bonus Levels, not from leveling, and therefore the Sword doesn't get you stuff like (e.g.) the Explosion finisher early, unlike KH1.

Sword is fairly good at getting you more Drive and getting Combo Plus/Negative Combo stuff, Magic is good at getting you all of the offensive magic boosting abilities, and Shield is good at keeping you alive (it's the fastest way to get the all-important Once More and Second Chance abilities).

The abilities that Critical Mode starts you off with do even more to wipe out Sword's advantages and Shield's disadvantages (you get Finishing Plus and Draw really late with the Shield but Critical Mode starts you off with one of each of them).

Staff's good for lower difficulties, though, since your magic offensive power is amplified the earliest and you can have fun Thundering enemies to death with ease.

Seda

Isn't the weapon choice in KH2 very minimal? It's like, a single stat point or something?

EDIT: ^ preempted me, I must be mistaken - wonder what I'm thinking of.

Staff is no joke in Critical either since you get MP hastera right from the start. But even still Second Chance>>>>>anything else in the game.

But honestly I don't like spellcasting in KH2 nearly as much as in KH1 while not in drive mode or until at the very endgame. In Wisdom/Master/Final form tho I'll be spamming like crazy. And Wisdom form is my favourite! :3

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm just hoping that KHIII makes use of BBS and 3D's Command system. Imagine the insane moves they could pull off on a title designed for consoles.

I'm just hoping that KHIII makes use of BBS and 3D's Command system. Imagine the insane moves they could pull off on a title designed for consoles.
I do and I don't. I love that system, but I also love getting Fira permanently upgraded to Firaga and stuff. You can grind up like 85% of the moveset REALLY early in BBS and it removes all feeling of progress.

(And video of pre-alpha KH3 gameplay suggests there won't be such a system.)

Caladrius

Staff is no joke in Critical either since you get MP hastera right from the start. But even still Second Chance>>>>>anything else in the game.

But honestly I don't like spellcasting in KH2 nearly as much as in KH1 while not in drive mode or until at the very endgame. In Wisdom/Master/Final form tho I'll be spamming like crazy. And Wisdom form is my favourite! :3

Magnega and Reflega are amazing no matter what though.

I think the only magic powers I abused in KH1 were Gravity and Aero, which weren't nearly as entertaining.

On the other hand, KH2's framework allows for a bigger total moveset available at any given time (I.e. Without having to go re equip yourself).

The question is how to get things like Firaga Burst and Time Splicer and Mine Square and stuff integrated into the KH2 template or something like it.

I have a feeling that if KHIII has multiple playable characters, at least one of 'em will use the Command Deck. Would go a long way to differentiate whatever character they go with from Sora play style wise, too.

Why has this not happened yet

Well, to be completely serious here, I could totally see it being the next game of Theatrythm team. The biggest boon of KHT would be that it's obviously non canon game so it would make a perfect thirststopper when they are done with HD collections, easy+cheap to develop I'd imagine since FFT:CC has made the entire base for it, just replace the songs and models. Getting a KH game on 3DS without pissing off the fans and not taking the time of KH3 team. It's just the perfect sidegame for them to make, it makes way too much sense for it not to happen. Especially now since both KH1 and KH2 soundtracks have been remastered. Throw a few KH3 tracks in there as teaser while you are at it.

As for why it hasn't happened yet... well they have been still busy milking the Final Fantasy version with rereleases of course! :3

KH Theatrythm Final Mix totally happening a year after vanilla.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, coming from my background in music in general, rather than working for multiple Square Enix projects specifically, licensing in the USA is a huge mess. I'm not too sure how the deal between Square Enix and Disney (Interactive) went but I can tell you that being able to cherry pick whatever Disney music they want to use in Kingdom Hearts isn't a negotiation outcome that happens often. Especially considering that Disney doesn't exactly have full rights to many of the theme songs for their features that are written by pop stars, either.

Of course, a hypothetical "Theathrythm KH" would obviously be no different than another spinoff KH game, though especially with Kingdom Hearts in the title. So it'd probably fall under the general umbrella of whatever initial deal went down. Whether the fact that the music is now the core focus of gameplay rather than an audio accompaniment or sweetener changes things, who knows.

Well, coming from my background in music in general, rather than working for multiple Square Enix projects specifically, licensing in the USA is a huge mess. I'm not too sure how the deal between Square Enix and Disney (Interactive) went but I can tell you that being able to cherry pick whatever Disney music they want to use in Kingdom Hearts isn't a negotiation outcome that happens often. Especially considering that Disney doesn't exactly have full rights to many of the theme songs for their features that are written by pop stars, either.

Of course, a hypothetical "Theathrythm KH" would obviously be no different than another spinoff KH game, though especially with Kingdom Hearts in the title. So it'd probably fall under the general umbrella of whatever initial deal went down. Whether the fact that the music is now the core focus of gameplay rather than an audio accompaniment or sweetener changes things, who knows.

I don't claim to know anything on the matter but I can't imagine it being a huge problem considering they have been able to use Utada songs over an over again with seemingly no problems, same for the OG Disney themes like This is Halloween or Under the Sea. Anyway let's say there are some songs they had problems using. I think between KH1+CoM+KH2+Days+BBS+DDD+Coded+X+KH3+whatever piano collections/Shimomura rearrange CD stuff they would need to drop many of the songs anyway because of the huge amount there is. I can't imagine it being a big deal conjuring up the game. But as I said, I don't have any knowledge on these things really so it's just based on feeling and the seemlesly very working relationship between SE+Disney.

Which reminds me, I still wonder if the reason for KH not getting digital releases is because of the music.

Caladrius

On the other hand, KH2's framework allows for a bigger total moveset available at any given time (I.e. Without having to go re equip yourself).

The question is how to get things like Firaga Burst and Time Splicer and Mine Square and stuff integrated into the KH2 template or something like it.

They'll probably just integrate a select few of them into the classic ability system.

It kind of sucks that attraction flow is probably going to be mapped to Triangle, I could see those commands being used as special moves activated with that button.

Which reminds me, I still wonder if the reason for KH not getting digital releases is because of the music.

If I remember right the only Disney game that's ever gotten a digital release is Ducktales remastered. Might be corporate policy driving it.

No way will attraction flow get its own special button. It's going to be a lot more like Reality Shift mixed a little bit with Reaction Commands (basically, a "cinematic set piece" function instead of a QTE function in accordance with the trends of the day). But Triangle does a lot more than just Reaction in KH2.

Falk

that puzzling face
If I remember right the only Disney game that's ever gotten a digital release is Ducktales remastered. Might be corporate policy driving it.

Word down the grapevine (don't quote me on it etc) is that Utada Hikaru's music is as much a factor for KH.

Digital and Physical are two different beasts and that's not even counting all the different shenanigans you have to go through for different regions of the world.

I think - and this is to assume that KH3 won't use the Command Deck system - that something along the lines of the Command Style and Finisher systems from BBS could go a long way toward increasing move diversity. For example, filling up a bar with a lot of Firaga attacks could let you use Firaga Burst or Megaflare as a sort of climax move.

Hachitora

I think - and this is to assume that KH3 won't use the Command Deck system - that something along the lines of the Command Style and Finisher systems from BBS could go a long way toward increasing move diversity. For example, filling up a bar with a lot of Firaga attacks could let you use Firaga Burst or Megaflare as a sort of climax move.

This sounds like a good way to bring in commands that wouldn't be possible with the classic command menu like Thunder Dash or Megaflare like you said. It would be cool if we could also choose which finisher we get from using attacks (Choosing either to activate Firaga Burst or Megaflare if you've used mostly firaga magic).

This sounds like a good way to bring in commands that wouldn't be possible with the classic command menu like Thunder Dash or Megaflare like you said. It would be cool if we could also choose which finisher we get from using attacks (Choosing either to activate Firaga Burst or Megaflare if you've used mostly firaga magic).

Yep. BBS allowed you to customize your normal finisher only (you couldn't pick the Command Style finishers) - something that allowed you to have a whole set of branching finishers for each style could be neat and would be a great way to have tons of move diversity, reward you for mixing it up intelligently in combat to get to your very best moves, *and* provide a good way to keep some of your most overpowered moves fairly well balanced by making sure you'd need to correctly combo up to them instead of just spamming a totally unstoppable deck like you can set up in BBS and DDD. It'd also provide a good way for Sora's power level to ramp up over the course of the game.

TnK

Will DDD HD ever come out? I honestly rule out that possibility since it came out on the 3DS, but one never knows.

Also, theaterythem KH would be one of the best things ever. Would really love that.

On the note of KH3, I really want to see a return of KH2's battle system with DDD's free flow. The deck system is nice and all, but the KH2 system is more fun.

Oh yeah, mysterious figure on Critical with terra is luck no? So if I did beat him with terra, does that mean I got lucky?

No way will attraction flow get its own special button. It's going to be a lot more like Reality Shift mixed a little bit with Reaction Commands (basically, a "cinematic set piece" function instead of a QTE function in accordance with the trends of the day). But Triangle does a lot more than just Reaction in KH2.

Maybe. Nomura now has a touchpad to mess with on PS4. No idea how One will be utilized. Maybe optional Kinect/PS4 camera usability?

Some DDD mechanics must be ported over

Hachitora

Yep. BBS allowed you to customize your normal finisher only (you couldn't pick the Command Style finishers) - something that allowed you to have a whole set of branching finishers for each style could be neat and would be a great way to have tons of move diversity, reward you for mixing it up intelligently in combat to get to your very best moves, *and* provide a good way to keep some of your most overpowered moves fairly well balanced by making sure you'd need to correctly combo up to them instead of just spamming a totally unstoppable deck like you can set up in BBS and DDD. It'd also provide a good way for Sora's power level to ramp up over the course of the game.

Oh that's cool. I've only played BBS once and it was a long time ago, so I don't have much memory on how the command style mechanics worked. I've been waiting for 2.5 to do another playthrough.

Will DDD HD ever come out? I honestly rule out that possibility since it came out on the 3DS, but one never knows.

Also, theaterythem KH would be one of the best things ever. Would really love that.

On the note of KH3, I really want to see a return of KH2's battle system with DDD's free flow. The deck system is nice and all, but the KH2 system is more fun.

Oh yeah, mysterious figure on Critical with terra is luck no? So if I did beat him with terra, does that mean I got lucky?

FlowMotion is kind of garbage as implemented in DDD. I could imagine it being done well but it wasn't done well in DDD at all (can't cancel/combo in or out of it, completely ruins platforming/exploration, et cetera) and I wouldn't want that version of it to appear in a KH game again.

TnK

FlowMotion is kind of garbage as implemented in DDD. I could imagine it being done well but it wasn't done well in DDD at all (can't cancel/combo in or out of it, completely ruins platforming/exploration, et cetera) and I wouldn't want that version of it to appear in a KH game again.
I agree. If they refined it though, it could work well. Unless it breaks the game ofcourse, in which I say "no thank you".

It just looks like the flowmotion you got at the beginning of the game is how it would be at the end, like how Sora is ridiculously mobile after you get all forms to max in KH2.

They should make it so you have limited wall bounces, raise the height over time and let you cancel it out.

Interesting interview with Yasue. Seems he is a little more open about KH3 than last time he was interviewed at E3.

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Meristation-Interviews-Tai-Yasue-No-European-Dub-for-2-5-Possibilities-for-Frozen-in-KH3-3891

newly recording Final Mix scenes
If there still was any doubt.

Meristation also briefly discusses Kingdom Hearts X[chi] with Yasue. Although he is not involved with the project, he states that there are no plans to bring the game over to the west at the moment* but the main storyline does connect to other titles and is considered canon.

As expected X will definately tie in to KH3.
Yasue mentions that Frozen has been a huge phenomenon in Japan long before the film released in theaters. If he had the opportunity to include a Frozen world in Kingdom Hearts, he imagines that the world would share similarities to the snow mountain in the Land of Dragons (Mulan) and incorporate musical elements like those used in Atlantica (The Little Mermaid).

Mwahahahahaah

When asked if there was anything in particular Yasue could add to the Kingdom Hearts series, it would be the inclusion of Star Wars and Marvel, as well as Pixar and old Disney films such as what was done with Timeless River.

Mwahahahahahha yisss.

He also would choose to put in new characters from Square Enix properties, in particular more characters from Final Fantasy VII.

Why? I mean, why VII in particular? We already got Cloud, Zack, Sephiroth, Yuffie, Cid, Aeris, Tifa. Well, he has mentioned before he would like to add Vincent in particular but everyone knows Ultros is the hero we deserve.

Falk

that puzzling face
GenesisCGModel-CrisisCore.png

Can't include Barret or Vincent if the ban on guns that are obviously firing bullets and not arrows is upheld, I think. But Red XIII and Cait Sith could possibly make the cut. Maybe some of the Turks?

It still blows my mind someone was capable of writing a character like Genesis.

Even his name makes me gringe.

What we need is Rufus as the new king of Radiant Garden.

Falk

that puzzling face
Plenty of characters made it in without their iconic weapons. I'm sure they'd find a way for Vincent.

Otherwise it would mean no Sazh and I will be sad. :(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hopefully the plot elements of X[chi] are told through cutscenes (though it's more likely through Reports). Especially for Japanese players that won't play a browser-based MMO.

Frozen would be a musical world? .... Well, hopefully it's only songs from the movie. I didn't mind Atlantica when it played Part of Your World and Under the Sea, it was the original songs that were torture. Seriously, you already had an Ursula song from the movie, why make a new one?

Yes please on Star Wars! And Marvel I guess but Star Wars is much more fitting.

I just hope we get more VI characters... not Terra since that would only get confusing (I know she's Tina in Japan but for the West...).
Unfortunately, we're probably getting Lightning because the world is cruel.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just hope we get more VI characters... not Terra since that would only get confusing (I know she's Tina in Japan but for the West...).
Unfortunately, we're probably getting Lightning because the world is cruel.

RETROACTIVE FIX. Like Aerith.

Here's hoping Frozen wouldn't actually be a musical world. Yes, everybody loves "Let It Go," sure, but I want Elsa casting Blizzaga by my side.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Yasue mentions that Frozen has been a huge phenomenon in Japan long before the film released in theaters. If he had the opportunity to include a Frozen world in Kingdom Hearts, he imagines that the world would share similarities to the snow mountain in the Land of Dragons (Mulan) and incorporate musical elements like those used in Atlantica (The Little Mermaid).

giphy.gif

PLEASE keep that stuff out of Kingdom Hearts! It ruins what could be a fantastic world! It already ruined Atlantica, We don't need another one!!

TnK

Why more FFVII characters? It would be great if they add in more FFIX characters. Also, genesis is a shit character, and should not be included in KH.

Star Wars in KH would be perfect, and would tie in really well with the themes of both light, darkness, and the heart.

Here is hoping that KH3 would be really good, without delving too deep into fanservice.

Top Bottom