• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

aravuus

So Aqua's
been wandering the realm of darkness
for the rest of the games in the series so far? There's a possibility she'll return in KH3?

Really liked her in BBS so I'd be happy to see her return.

e: and bbs' secret ending takes place... after kh2's secret ending? right before ddd? i'm having a hard time placing some of these scenes in the right order

So Aqua's
for the rest of the games in the series so far? There's a possibility she'll return in KH3?

e: and bbs' secret ending takes place... after kh2's secret ending? right before ddd? i'm having a hard time placing some of these scenes in the right order

It's virtually guaranteed that she's coming back in KH3, especially considering the path that the Master Keeper keyblade has taken, but also given the need for seven keyblade wielders of light.

aravuus

Oh yeah, forgot about the seven wielders of light business.

Despite all I've said about the named KH entries, DDD especially, I'm really fucking excited about KH3.

I'm really, really curious to see what KH3 does for an online/multiplayer component. Ad-hoc multiplayer of some sort is there in 358/2 Days, BBS, and DDD, so it'd be really surprising if there were nothing of the sort in KH3.

Malyse

So Aqua's

Keep in mind that there's some weird time dilation effect in the various realms. Ventus hasn't aged and neither has Aqua.

I wonder if we're gonna be getting new character designs for Sora, Riku, and Kairi in KH3 beyond the inevitable keyblade armor for all three of them.

Lea's (it's taken me a while to adjust on that but I've finally got it memorized) definitely gonna get something other than his Organization coat for sure.

iosefe

I wonder if we're gonna be getting new character designs for Sora, Riku, and Kairi in KH3 beyond the inevitable keyblade armor for all three of them.

Lea's (it's taken me a while to adjust on that but I've finally got it memorized) definitely gonna get something other than his Organization coat for sure.

back to his street clothes or something simlar

back to his street clothes or something simlar

Yeah but he was a kid when he had those.

I agree that it'll likely look quite similar to his childhood street clothes (kinda like how Riku's and Kairi's KH2 designs were largely just adolescent-sized updates to their KH1 designs) but it'll still functionally be a new design.
I really hope Nomura doesn't just push Kairi aside :( Nomura pls
Kairi got pushed aside plenty in KH2, but I think the odds are good that she'll be very important in KH3. We know she's going to be a new Keyblade wielder, we know that the Princesses of Heart part of the mythos is getting touched upon again. She's gonna matter (and it's also going to be the first game in which she doesn't spend the entire thing kidnapped or missing).

Naminé is who's *really* getting pushed aside, though. Even Nomura forgot about her, apparently (she doesn't show up at all in Dream Drop Distance, IIRC).

Psxphile

Naminé is who's *really* getting pushed aside, though. Even Nomura forgot about her, apparently (she doesn't show up at all in Dream Drop Distance, IIRC).

Re:code.

And why would she appear in Sora's dreams when she's integrated with Kairi now? We might see her if Kairi goes through the Dive into the Heart sequence for KH3. On that note: we're of the mind that the Sword/Shield/Staff path choice was a good thing in KH1 and KH2 (and Re:coded, I guess), yes? It'd be weird if it doesn't make a return.

aravuus

I want Lea to wear completely normal clothing. Light brown slim fitting pants, light blue dress shirt and some nice shoes.

Then I want every other character asking him about what the fuck he's wearing.

I really hope Nomura doesn't just push Kairi aside :( Nomura pls

I remember the reactions to DDD's ending being practically the complete opposite of this lol

"you're gonna make HER a fucking keyblade wielder now???? jesus christ"

I like Kairi, though, and I don't want her pushed aside. In fact, and writing this feels weird, I want romance in KH3. It's got everything else you'd expect from an entertaining piece of JRPG melodrama. A romantic sub-plot always pulls me more into the story emotionally, positively or negatively. Positive if I'm happy to see the two characters come together. Negatively if it's a love triangle that doesn't end like I want it to end (Fuck you Shulk you blind motherfucker). Either way, I get more into it.

Seda

In fact, and writing this feels weird, I want romance in KH3. It's got everything else you'd expect from an entertaining piece of JRPG melodrama. A romantic sub-plot always pulls me more into the story emotionally, positively or negatively. Positive if I'm happy to see the two characters come together. Negatively if it's a love triangle that doesn't end like I want it to end (Fuck you Shulk you blind motherfucker). Either way, I get more into it.

If there's romance, I hope it's more Valkyria Chronicles and less Tales of Symphonia 2.

Re:code.

And why would she appear in Sora's dreams when she's integrated with Kairi now? We might see her if Kairi goes through the Dive into the Heart sequence for KH3. On that note: we're of the mind that the Sword/Shield/Staff path choice was a good thing in KH1 and KH2 (and Re:coded, I guess), yes? It'd be weird if it doesn't make a return.

The sword/staff/shield thing kinda articulated itself differently in BBS with Ven/Terra/Aqua, IMO. I think there's a distinct possibility that in KH3 it'll be handled by having multiple playable characters instead of by giving Sora multiple different playstyles depending on what you choose at the beginning.
I like Kairi, though, and I don't want her pushed aside. In fact, and writing this feels weird, I want romance in KH3. It's got everything else you'd expect from an entertaining piece of JRPG melodrama. A romantic sub-plot always pulls me more into the story emotionally, positively or negatively. Positive if I'm happy to see the two characters come together. Negatively if it's a love triangle that doesn't end like I want it to end (Fuck you Shulk you blind motherfucker). Either way, I get more into it.
You already got your romance in KH2 between Sora and Riku.

Yeah but he was a kid when he had those.

I agree that it'll likely look quite similar to his childhood street clothes (kinda like how Riku's and Kairi's KH2 designs were largely just adolescent-sized updates to their KH1 designs) but it'll still functionally be a new design.
Kairi got pushed aside plenty in KH2, but I think the odds are good that she'll be very important in KH3. We know she's going to be a new Keyblade wielder, we know that the Princesses of Heart part of the mythos is getting touched upon again. She's gonna matter (and it's also going to be the first game in which she doesn't spend the entire thing kidnapped or missing).

I hope they don't ignore her keyblade training until the last 5 minutes of the game like in Kh2. I feel like RE:Coded was made to compensate for Nomura forgetting about Namine for a while, lol.

I hope they don't ignore her keyblade training until the last 5 minutes of the game like in Kh2. I feel like RE:Coded was made to compensate for Nomura forgetting about Namine for a while, lol.

If anything, I could see the game's intro phase being Kairi's keyblade training and her Dive to the Heart.

And I still strongly think we're going to see multiple playable lead characters in KH3.

Combat-design-wise, KH2's already got quite a few multiple playable characters if you count all of Sora's Drive Forms and both of Roxas's combat styles, even though narratively it's only two characters. And the record of the Osaka team shows that they've only ever made KH games with multiple playable campaigns.

If we're going to see some key game design advancements (beyond just whatever the new combat system elements are) in KH3, I'm thinking it'll be about the multiple-characters thing and some form of online multiplayer (perhaps cooperative stuff, perhaps online duels).

Malyse

This is where I bring up the potential for an expanded mirage arena / monster hunter style game. We have enough keyblade wielders to pull it off. I mean, you choose what play style you custom character will have (based on one of the previous playable characters) and get to it. I don't want to be stuck with just Sora when we have so many other options to choose from:

Terra
Ventus
Aqua
Vanitas
Sora
Riku
Kairi
Xion
Roxas
DW Roxas
Mickey
Xehanort
Young Xehanort
Terra Xehanort
Lea
Eraqus

Valor form
Wisdom form
Master form
Final form
Limit form

And then there's the keyblade transformation to take in account.

I just want a direct ripoff of RE4 mercenaries with different characters with their own command decks (or whatever actions KH3 uses). Just hordes upon hordes of heartless on tightly designed levels where you are racing against time to kill as many as you can.

Malyse

I just want a direct ripoff of RE4 mercenaries with different characters with their own command decks (or whatever actions KH3 uses). Just hordes upon hordes of heartless on tightly designed levels where you are racing against time to kill as many as you can.
Boooring! Why wouldn't you instead want to, say, take on any boss on the series with any character?

This is where I bring up the potential for an expanded mirage arena / monster hunter style game. We have enough keyblade wielders to pull it off. I mean, you choose what play style you custom character will have (based on one of the previous playable characters) and get to it. I don't want to be stuck with just Sora when we have so many other options to choose from:

Terra
Ventus
Aqua
Vanitas
Sora
Riku
Kairi
Xion
Roxas
DW Roxas
Mickey
Xehanort
Young Xehanort
Terra Xehanort
Lea
Eraqus

Valor form
Wisdom form
Master form
Final form
Limit form

And then there's the keyblade transformation to take in account.
Yep, exactly.

And if they want to go outside of keyblade wielders, they could throw in the rest of the (first) Organization (since they were already playable in 358/2 Days). Even some Disney characters if they want to get even crazier with it.

Malyse

keyblade_masters__the_next_generation_by_procerdecrepusculum-d4zqzrx.jpg

I think Deep Jungle might be my favorite KH 1 world. Also, the sound keeps skipping on 1.5 and I'm not sure if it's the disc or the game itself but it's pissing me off.

I think Deep Jungle might be my favorite KH 1 world. Also, the sound keeps skipping on 1.5 and I'm not sure if it's the disc or the game itself but it's pissing me off.

Deep Jungle's got some great verticality to a lot of its areas (and it's not a confusing mess like Monstro or Wonderland - each area's quite well differentiated from the rest), but the actual design of the story that takes place within it (go to the camp! go to the treehouse! go to the camp! go to the treehouse!), and thus the path that you take through that world during the basic story, is terrible.

KH1 Hollow Bastion is the best in the series still, obviously, but I assume you're talking about KH1's Disney worlds. In that case, yeah, for me it's Deep Jungle and Agrabah.

zeemumu

If there's romance, I hope it's more Valkyria Chronicles and less Tales of Symphonia 2.

There's never going to be a flat out romance plot. It's been building Sora and Kairi for a while, but right now they're just going to build up from really good friends. Maybe at the very end they'll have something. That happy ending would be Sora's reward. Since Riku conceded as the "I don't get the girl" character, his reward is becoming the strongest character in the series.

iosefe

There's never going to be a flat out romance plot. It's been building Sora and Kairi for a while, but right now they're just going to build up from really good friends. Maybe at the very end they'll have something. That happy ending would be Sora's reward. Since Riku conceded as the "I don't get the girl" character, his reward is becoming the strongest character in the series.

sounds like a fair trade off

zeemumu

I want my Sora - Riku - Kairi endgame-party. Nomura make it happen please.

Probably won't even be endgame. KH3 will probably start with Axel and Kairi finishing their training. I'mexpecting them to split up and team up when their respective stories cross over, like the Radiant Garden boss fight.

Andrefpvs

I want my Sora - Riku - Kairi endgame-party. Nomura make it happen please.

What if –– and hear me out here –– what if, when Sora is inevitably losing the final battle due to some deus ex machina darkness shenanigan, the "Sora rescue party" is:

Kairi
Donald
Goofy

And they defeat 10 Xehanorts alone thanks to the chains of memories between their hearts and Sora's.

How about that?

What if –– and hear me out here –– what if, when Sora is inevitably losing the final battle due to some deus ex machina darkness shenanigan, the "Sora rescue party" is:

Kairi
Donald
Goofy

And they defeat 10 Xehanorts alone thanks to the chains of memories between their hearts and Sora's.

How about that?

I don't know how could he use the "Sora is one of the darknesses" card but it'd be interesting. However, as seen in 3DD, Riku can dive in without getting screwed, so the "save sora" party should include him (and maybe mickey too).

Probably won't even be endgame. KH3 will probably start with Axel and Kairi finishing their training. I'mexpecting them to split up and team up when their respective stories cross over, like the Radiant Garden boss fight.

I mean, Xemnas Battle was mostly Sora and Riku right? So Old master Xehanort-fight should be those 3 against him, have Terra-Aqua-Ventus go against Vanitas reloaded and Axel, Roxas (and Xion) against Xemnas.

Malyse

But we have our ships already.
Terra Aqua
Riku Xion
Roxas Namine
Lea Arlene
Ventus Kairi
And Sora gets tossed into the void of time at the end of the third game, separated from all his friends.

Malyse

Doesn't Riku see Xion as Sora?
IIRC, Xion is projecting as herself shortly before endgame.
As Sora's memories are the basis of her being, Xion initially resembles Kairi, who was Sora's strongest memory at the time of her birth, though her physical appearance eventually changes depending on who is viewing her and who they have connections with. Roxas, Axel, and Riku see her as Xion (and later as Sora), Xigbar sees her as Ventus, Xemnas sees her as Sora, while Saïx (and also Axel, initially) sees her only as a hooded doll

He sees her as Xion until she starts becoming Sora at endgame.

Psxphile

Didn't Axel actually see her as Namine at one point or was he just comparing her appearance to the only Kairi-proxy he was personally aware of? I'm sure if he was more familiar with Kairi he'd have said that's what she looked like in the secret report.

Didn't Axel actually see her as Namine at one point or was he just comparing her appearance to the only Kairi-proxy he was personally aware of? I'm sure if he was more familiar with Kairi he'd have said that's what she looked like in the secret report.

Well, like Naminé, she's got some features in common with Kairi and some features in common with Sora because she's drawing traits from both of them.

iosefe

Naminé still confuses me. is she some amalgamation of Sora, Kairi and ventus? The Melting pot of Sora was cooking long enough by the time he released the heart in KH1.

Malyse

Well, like Naminé, she's got some features in common with Kairi and some features in common with Sora because she's drawing traits from both of them.

Nailed it.

Naminé still confuses me. is she some amalgamation of Sora, Kairi and ventus? The Melting pot of Sora was cooking long enough by the time he released the heart in KH1.
Naminé is Kairi Sora. Roxas is Ventus Sora.

Top Bottom