• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

The thing you need to realize about chi and UX is that neither is a feature complete game. Updates have and continue to fundamentally change the way the game is played. UX didn't have the coliseum at launch and chi didn't even display the items you picked up. And don't get me started on how much outfits have changed. You are waiting for a better version of the game.

Tsunamo

So they found another glitch in kh2fm after ~8years, you can clip through the walls of the cavern of rememberence which allows you to skip the data battles for some reason and get the crown without them.
Pretty useful for speedrunners or for those who hate them.
I don't pay much attention the KH speedrun community (though I do watch some of runs from time to time when they're streamed, usually close to release like the 2 Final Mix one on 2.5's release) but that's a pretty neat skip. The runs in general are just amazing to watch, all corners they cut in games and exploits, I mean that applies to most games people speedrun but it's amazing seeing it in games i've played over and over.
Hey, so when is Unchained X coming out?
Hasn't SE confirmed "2015" several times now?
I guess that still leaves a month and a half...

I just got a new smartphone and I'm impatient to try a fun little Kingdom Hearts mobile game after how much I'm unexpectedly enjoying Final Fantasy Record Keeper.
Either we'll get a release out of nowhere (maybe with a launch trailer or something) or it's been quietly moved to 2016 for the west
And Blood Diamonds will rage
Kinda wish we got to fight that Twilight Thorn in Traverse Town, though:
BR71qu7.png
I remember how hyped I was for it back then. I think i'd have prefered they stuck to a mix of nobodys and heartless rather than used Dreameaters to be honest.
I'm not expecting anything on the level of a final mix, though I do hope they add a new boss in. They were a bit coy about new content when asked about it, IIRC.

Personally, I just want them to make both Ansem's forms rematchable like nearly every other boss in the game is already. Both Ansem fights are easily the best bosses in the game (And Ansem II feels more like a final boss than pretty much every one we've had since KHII Xemnas) and it always annoyed me that you couldn't fight him again.
Second a new boss. 0.2 doesn't really feel like the best place to do a new secret boss, DDD on the other hand feels like it was lacking a bit with just jullius (as much as it was a nice throwback to that disney short and took me back to the original Kingdom Hearts secret bosses) and would benefit from another one post-game.

Ditto for Ansem forms aswell, I really wanted to replay them like all the other bosses but was disappointed to findout i'd need a save before that point, shouldn't be too much effort to fix that up on the re-release.

So I just read this youtube comment that could explain what happened with Sora's parents and Sora leaving:
"KH1 she was gone with the Islands.
KHCOM she forgot about him
KH2 she remembered him...but he comes back and explains everything to her.
KHCoded and onward he now has her permission to go to other worlds.
ALL OF THIS CAN BE DONE AND EXPLAINED OFF SCREEN."

It honestly blew my mind. Like, it makes sense...

Psxphile

So I just read this youtube comment that could explain what happened with Sora's parents and Sora leaving:
"KH1 she was gone with the Islands.
KHCOM she forgot about him
KH2 she remembered him...but he comes back and explains everything to her.
KHCoded and onward he now has her permission to go to other worlds.
ALL OF THIS CAN BE DONE AND EXPLAINED OFF SCREEN."

It honestly blew my mind. Like, it makes sense...

You can justify a whole lot of nonsense by saying "oh, it happened off-screen".

Sora and Kairi made out constantly after they came back to the islands. It just happened off-screen.
That's why they were so awkward during the "leaving to become a Master" scene in Blank Points.
There's really nothing there to suggest it happened, but there's nothing saying it didn't either.
I think this is called head-canon.

That being said, it would be nice if they acknowledged the parents at some point in KHIII, part of why I hope we actually get to explore them this time instead of only seeing them in cutscenes.

Tsunamo

KH1 and CoM make sense at least and fall directly in place with what happened.

Also random thought but i'd love it if Kingdom Hearts pulled a Tron/Tron Legacy World with Star Wars if they ever did it and had The Clone Wars (or somesort of prequel trilogy world) with Obi-Wan and Anakin and then had you revisit them down the line on the Death Star in A New Hope, something like that would be pretty neat. (probably wont happen and they'll stick to one though)

Weiss

Banned
Speaking of Tron, you know what would be awesome? If Space Paranoids got corrupted with the Grid and it all got mashed together into one level. SP is stated to just be a copy of the original program in the first place.

Tron vs. Rinzler! Don't even pretend that wouldn't be amazing.

It is my personal mission to shit up every thread on GAF that's about Kingdom Hearts being impossible to decipher because there's a staggering amount of hyperbole and it's fucking funny. There's always more than a few embarrassing bandwagon responses in those.

Tsunamo

I really hope 3 has another CG/Realistic (guess it doesn't have to be CG this time around considering where the series is at graphics wise) secret ending. I miss having absolutely no idea what's happening in a great visual showcase and speculating about it for so long vs something like Blankpoints which while different and enjoyable didn't invoke that amazing feeling I got from Deep Dive and Birth By Sleep.

Also random thing I just remembered but I didn't play Reverse Rebirth in CoM until after Kingdom Hearts 2, I was aware of it but had never played it. Took me years to get the one value for a card to open the door to battle Axel (luckily it's way easier in Re:CoM), couldn't have had a better end-game reward than a Riku scenerio.
Speaking of Tron, you know what would be awesome? If Space Paranoids got corrupted with the Grid and it all got mashed together into one level. SP is stated to just be a copy of the original program in the first place.

Tron vs. Rinzler! Don't even pretend that wouldn't be amazing.
That'd be pretty awesome. Personal confession here but I the Tron/Rinzler subplot more in DDD than I did in Legacy, he was way more of a developed and likable character in Kingdom Hearts 2, so it hurt more harder to see Sora see him as Rinzler and try to get him to remember, probably my favorite part of DDD plotwise.
It is my personal mission to shit up every thread on GAF that's about Kingdom Hearts being impossible to decipher because there's a staggering amount of hyperbole and it's fucking funny. There's always more than a few embarrassing bandwagon responses in those.
Gaming side KH threads are always amusing to say the least. Still waiting for that Frozen world revealed one.

Ralemont

not me
Anyone here remember beating Lingering Will legit? All I see on Google is that cheese strat.

Particularly, I'm having two problems: it's hard to take out his mini laser bots, and he seems to recover mid-juggle at times and at other times I can get in my full combos on him. Seems completely arbitrary and gets me killed.

Any tips for the fight?

Seda

Anyone here remember beating Lingering Will legit? All I see on Google is that cheese strat.

Particularly, I'm having two problems: it's hard to take out his mini laser bots, and he seems to recover mid-juggle at times and at other times I can get in my full combos on him. Seems completely arbitrary and gets me killed.

Any tips for the fight?

I beat him 'legit'. I was level 99 with high level equips and stuff and had no idea what I was doing, but I beat him.

Ralemont

not me
I beat him 'legit'. I was level 99 with high level equips and stuff and had no idea what I was doing, but I beat him.

All right. I'm 99 with all the ultimate equip as well so I guess I just have to power through it.

Also, Data Roxas was so much harder than any other Data Org fight.

Weiss

Banned

Any tips for the fight?

The more damage he takes the less time he'll let you combo. The first time I hit him I can chain together three combos that end in two finishers before he retaliates, and by the end he's dropping out after one finisher.

You can Aerial Dodge into his orbiters to destroy them, but I find it easier to just glide away until they disappear.

sasuke_91

All right. I'm 99 with all the ultimate equip as well so I guess I just have to power through it.

Also, Data Roxas was so much harder than any other Data Org fight.
What difficulty are you playing on? On Critical I feel like it doesn't matter how high your Defense is, he'll leave you with 1 HP after every attack.

Data Roxas was the first one I beat. Really fun fight imo.

Ralemont

not me
What difficulty are you playing on? On Critical I feel like it doesn't matter how high your Defense is, he'll leave you with 1 HP after every attack.

Data Roxas was the first one I beat. Really fun fight imo.

Critical.

Data Roxas was the first one I beat, too, and it took a long time so I was dreading doing the other 12, but I ended up finishing all of them in one day.

Weiss

Banned
Data Axel seriously took me 4 hours before I gave up and Reaction looped him.

Data Xaldin took forever too, but that's mostly because I couldn't get the hang of knocking him off balance and spamming Jumps.

Most everyone else just got Reflect spammed.

Tsunamo

First time for me was a fluke and I just got extrmemely lucky at predicting his imputs.

Second time around in 2.5 was so much more easier with the Final Form glide strategy to avoid his later phases, it's still pretty tough predicting how small/big the windows to attack him are though.

I can't believe i never thought to look for a kh community thread!? All those threads powering thru the huge hyperbole about the story..and i could've came here..well smack me on the head with s keyblade im home

Malyse

Any tips for the fight?

I beat him legit in 2007.

Zaverious

Data Larxene was the one Data fight that was really tense for me. Heck I didn't even realise I was winning when I kept using Sonic Blade near the end. I was surprised that it was over.

Data Xemnas was annoying because of the Reaction Commands in the 2nd fight and if you lost you had to do the 1st fight again.

Data Demyx is just a lot of not fun.

Seda

That's what im thinking jump festa. Tho im very weary about kh ddd hd. I have a feeling its just going to be a revamped combat system to compensate for the switch from 3ds to ps4 hope im wrong

The main thing I wasn't too fond of in DDD were how skills were tied to Dream Eaters, but that won't be changing. (I didn't hate it, just wasn't much a fan).

Data Larxene was the one Data fight that was really tense for me. Heck I didn't even realise I was winning when I kept using Sonic Blade near the end. I was surprised that it was over.

Data Xemnas was annoying because of the Reaction Commands in the 2nd fight and if you lost you had to do the 1st fight again.

Data Demyx is just a lot of not fun.

For some reason Data Vexen gave me the most trouble. Also...

The main thing I wasn't too fond of in DDD were how skills were tied to Dream Eaters, but that won't be changing. (I didn't hate it, just wasn't much a fan).

For some reason Data Vexen gave me the most trouble. Also...
The entire premise of dream eaters made me only play thru ddd once(and barely any post game content) Ddd gave me flowmotiom tho so ot will always be #3 in top kh games

Ralemont

not me
Larxene gets destroyed by Reflect spam, especially when she tries her little Omnislash. I think my Reflect combo took off her last 3 bars. I had trouble with the card guy until I realized the roulettes gave you a long time to complete them. Xemnas I just Session spammed him to death. The Berserk guy actually gave me some trouble until I just started dodging backwards when he throws the axe so you can quickly grab it.

Seriously though, Roxas beat the shit out of me. What made is especially aggravating is that the Reaction command to steal a keyblade actually makes him harder because of his magic laser spamming! Ugh.

Ralemont

not me
All right, so after some experimenting I came up with a good strat for Lingering Will and beat him. I'm sure virtually everyone in this thread has already beat him but I'll post it anyway!

Quickslots: Megalixirs, Elixirs, Curaga, Thundaga

No Reflect for a few reasons: Most of his attacks move him too far laterally to get caught in the reflect blast, he's invincible while using his moves anyway, and doing too much damage with Reflect in the rare event you do catch him with it can cause him to recover during your Combo, which sucks. Thundaga in case you get Attack-locked. Equip Dodge Roll instead of Quick Step for fast recover time.

When he does his flying attacks or vehicle, dodge away from him towards the direction he's going. That way you'll be closer when he lands to initiate a combo.

When he fires the big orb, if you are close enough to him block it and it'll hit him into the air for you to juggle. If you're too far away, dodge roll into it like Kyuubi Naruto into a Katon to blow it up. Especially useful if you get roulette wheel'd since he loves to fire his orb at you while you try and Escape. If you notice him summon his bow, you can actually dodge roll out of the 3 arrows he shoots at you, but he starts shooting very quickly after summoning the bow so be ready.

If he's running at you for the 3-combo fist sandwich, block once and then just stand there. His finisher will go behind you and you're safe to combo.

His big attack is actually pretty easy to deal with. Just glide in a straight direction for the first two times he warps to you. After you glide away from his second warp, stop and watch him. When he comes at you for the third part just block until he lands and he'll be open for a combo.

I never totally figured out a way around his laser bots. Yes you can glide away from them but sometimes he'll hop on his vehicle while they are out and nail you while you're gliding. Probably a risk worth taking though considering they are so difficult to destroy.

Nearly all of Lingering Will's attacks have an answer to them:

3-Hit Gauntlet combo - Block it. You know he's probably going to do this when he starts sprinting towards you.

The Energy Bow and Arrow - Listen for the sound effect the arrow makes when he fires it. As soon as you hear it, dodge roll. Repeat 2x.

Ultima Cannon - Stand in front of him (But not right in front of him) and guard it. Too close up, and it'll reflect away from him.

The large sweeping dashing motion thingy - Just guard or dodge roll this.

Attack/Magic Seals - As soon as you see him hop a bit into the air and attempt to do a slamming motion with his keyblade, Quick Run (Not dodge roll, quick run) away

Keyblade Glider - Block or dodge roll.

Laser bits - Either Reflect when they fire, or eliminate the bits entirely by aerial dodging into them.

Laser Bits & Keyblade Glider - Alternate between Reflect and dodge rolling.

Desperation attack - This one is kinda tricky. Just guard the first phase. It takes about three guards for this phase to pass. Glide away from him for the second phase. Immediately after, disengage your lock on and pay attention to his animation. As soon as you teleport, activate it again and immediately hit guard. Timed right, you should lock on just as he's attacking out of his teleport and Sora'll guard in the right direction. Keep guarding until he does the final dashing attack (Which curiously looks like the attack the Thunder Surge command in BBS was based off of).

There's two attacks that he'll pretty rarely pull out, but if he does, well... have fun.

Keyblade Glider/Blizzaga - He'll ride around on the glider far, far more erratically than he usually does, making his movements hard to predict. On top of that, he'll fire off Blizzaga spells that home in on you. I haven't ever found a reliable strategy beyond "Reflectga and pray"

Magnega - Sometimes (usually with his bow and arrow or the keyblade glider) he'll use a Magnet spell out of nowhere. Seems harmless until you realize that it completely screws your maneuverability up and leaves you at the mercy of his other attacks. In the seven or so years that I've had Final Mix+, I've only ever seen him use it three or so times.

LW is difficult, but fair. I think Mysterious Figure with Terra is probably the hardest boss challenge in the series, but that's because beating him simply comes down to luck because you're always at the mercy of his AI.

The only boss fight I ever really spam limits/exploit AI flaws in is Data Axel, not because he's particularly difficult, but because it makes the fight (and by extension, farming for Magic Boosts) way quicker. Looping the AI kinda sucks the fun out of the bosses, in my opinion.

Falk

that puzzling face
Lingering Will and Mysterious Figure aren't comparable in the least.

One is extremely well designed, albeit a little RNG as to which AI set you get.

The other is basically "do you have a lot of invincibility frames?"

Banzai

Magnega - Sometimes (usually with his bow and arrow or the keyblade glider) he'll use a Magnet spell out of nowhere. Seems harmless until you realize that it completely screws your maneuverability up and leaves you at the mercy of his other attacks. In the seven or so years that I've had Final Mix+, I've only ever seen him use it three or so times.

I don't think I've ever seen that attack. Interesting.
Anyway, LW completely broke my spirit when I tried to beat him on my LV1 playthrough. Props to anyone that can do it.

Tsunamo

Data Demyx will forever be hated with a passion. So many runs where I was just slightly off the mark to killing him and all his water clones.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Final Mix as content rich and improving on the vanilla game as much as Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix did (even putting aside Re:CoM as a bundle in it was amazing)
Yeah that was one of the things that I wasn't a fan of much in DDD.

aravuus

Almost December. I think I'm gonna start my annual-whole-series-excluding-the-games-I-don't-feel-like-playing-right-now replay next weekend. Which isn't really even annual, I just replayed almost all of them earlier this year lol.

Also I started a Critical run of KH2 during summer, which I dropped for some reason after 10-ish hours. Can't recall why, it wasn't THAT hard.

Almost December. I think I'm gonna start my annual-whole-series-excluding-the-games-I-don't-feel-like-playing-right-now replay next weekend. Which isn't really even annual, I just replayed almost all of them earlier this year lol.

Also I started a Critical run of KH2 during summer, which I dropped for some reason after 10-ish hours. Can't recall why, it wasn't THAT hard.
I wanna take a guess at what you'll skip...mmm coded and re:com?

Coded for sure. I really dislike that game. Unless watching the movie counts, though, in which case I won't be skipping it lol

I'm gonna try and play re:CoM, though. It's been a while and it's a pretty fun game.
Coded kicks rocks. I dont even wanna watch the movie again lol only the end is important really.

And com...sigh i need like a pro com player sitting beside me while i play it pr something because i just suck at it..like bad!

Weiss

Banned
So with KHDDDHD coming along, I got to thinking about how I'd like the game to change, which then got me thinking how flawed the game is and how it could have been made better.

Talking complete hypotheticals here, but how do you think Dream Drop Distance could have been a better game?

I like having Sora and Riku as separate playable characters, but the Drop system sucks, especially when it goes off during a boss fight. I'd just want it removed outright and maybe not let you progress past a certain point until both characters have cleared enough worlds or something.

Completely revamp Ability links so they don't involve Dream Eaters. Ideally just bring back Command Melding.

As for the Dream Eaters themselves, I'd prefer if they were removed as your party members. Instead of swapping out interchangeable pokemon rip offs, I'd rather if they just gave you one Dream Eater that you could customize and grow in different ways. Plus, this would allow you to have a permanent party member with you, and guest party members for every world.

3D is pretty short at only seven worlds, so I'd like an extra world or two, and replace Country of Musketeers. It's actually pretty nice, but the aesthetic is too similar to Traverse Town and Cité des Cloches, and there's another, way better Mickey-centered world.

More Disney bosses. I'm still mad I didn't get to beat the hell out of Frollo.

I'd like it if the Dream Eaters didn't all look so gaudy. I like the Animal Spirit vibe, but they all look completely ridiculous and I'd like it if they were more abstract and fantastical like the Heartless.

Completely, totally remove the climax. Instead of whatever that was, I think it'd be cool if
Young Xehanort was just something from Master Xehanort left inside the Sleeping Worlds, and the threat comes from dealing with that.
Instead of having 3D be this vitally important lead up to KH3, I think it'd be better if it was a celebration of 10 years of the franchise, setting up plot points like the
return of the Org. members, Kairi training as a Keyblade wielder, how to bring back Ventus
and stuff like that, while also bringing newcomers up to speed.

Top Bottom